Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

MetaJew posted:

Do people use the Redline MT-90 (74W90 GL-4) or MTL (75W80 GL-4). From skimming the Mazdaspeed Forums it sounds like Mazda changed the recommendations from 75W90 in the 1st generation to 75W80 in the second generation.
I put Redline MTL in my '13 MS3 about a year ago. I'm pleased with it overall. It shifts smoothly and the diff seems to be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anything good or bad to say about the Mazda 2.5L in the 2011 Mazda 3? Going to look at one in a bit paired to the 6 speed manual.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's a slightly enlarged version of the same 2.0/2.3 Mazda and Ford used for ages. Should run fine for a long, long time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Larrymer posted:

Anything good or bad to say about the Mazda 2.5L in the 2011 Mazda 3? Going to look at one in a bit paired to the 6 speed manual.

I've got the 2.5 and 6 speed in my 2011 Mazda3. It's a great engine, but doesn't get great mileage. I tend to get like 23 combined with my mostly city driving.

The 6 speed is awesome. I had issues a few years ago where it didn't like to go into 2nd gear sometimes when it was hot out, but it went away. Also you won't use 5th gear very much.

I've had zero maintenance issues or any regrets with either. If I was buying my car over again today 5 years later, I would get the exact same combo.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Seconding the mileage. Maybe 26-28 but I do mostly highway driving (auto trans) No issues on that at all.
Road noise is the biggest pet peeve with the car overall

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Larrymer posted:

I bought one in August with the 2.5/6 speed and I like to brag on it in this thread occasionally. I love this car.

Gas mileage is a bit poo poo, but that's my only complaint. The shifter and clutch, although both have a long throw, feel great, and the big motor puts out enough torque in the midrange that you don't have to row a lot. If you want to, however, the motor feels perfectly fine with revving out to 5-6K. Redline is 6200 and as far as I can tell it'll pull right up there with negligible power drop off.

Road noise is higher than some other cars in it's class but my other car is a Miata so :shobon:

Looking forward to hearing what your thoughts were.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 30, 2015

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah they are thirsty little engines. I have the 2.3/auto (90% highway commuting) and get 600km/tank with summer tires, 500km/tank on winters.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I drove it yesterday. I liked the trans, but thought the gas pedal was ridiculously sensitive from a stop. Taking off I like to try and time gassing it and releasing the clutch and every time barely touching it it would rev to 2-3k rpm. Drove fairly nice otherwise though.

I didn't realize the car was a flood car and it had an aftermarket alarm with some questionable wiring on it so I passed. It was also advertised as a GT, when it was a sport. Car shopping continues...

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think it was the 2012s that got the sky active engines. That will improve the gas mileage a bit.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

I think it was the 2012s that got the sky active engines. That will improve the gas mileage a bit.

Correct. Don't know if there were any issues with it that might've been resolved for '13. Wish I had waited but it just wasn't possible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, Mazda didn't get properly into the modern fuel mileage game until the Skyactiv engines came out. Until then, it seemed like standard Mazda tuning was "make it a bit rich, then add some more fuel".

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

2012 had the 2.0 Skyactiv, but the 2.5 was the non-Skyactiv version until the third generation 3 came out.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The 2.5 is a reasonable engine in terms of power in the cars it was applied to but its economy especially in traffic just can't hold a candle to the wave of GDI engines that came out around the same time (and now with the newer 2.5L Skyactiv block). I drive one, I like it, but I'd like a 2.5L skyactiv even more.

It can also be flashed/tuned pretty well but I never delved into that. Apparently Mazda left some performance on the table to keep it more separated from the MS3.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm having a problem with the coolant levels in my 2014 Mazda 3 2.5L 2014.

It has dropped below the minimum level but when I bought it the fluid was filled up to the max. Why is the coolant so low on an apparently closed system? I see no evidence of leakage and unlike other cars I don't ever see any fluids leaking out of my car. I don't even get A/C condensation leaking out.

I've topped it up a little with FL22 but I'm beginning to worry that my radiator is busted or that a hose somewhere is cracked.

The dealer told me that the fluid evaporates and it's nothing serious. Just top it up and you're good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cooling systems aren't 100% closed. The expansion tank will have some form of vent to atmosphere so that if you way overfill it / overheat it, the fluid has somewhere to go instead of exploding the tank. As a downside, this means you lose a little bit to evaporation.

How much have you added and over how many miles / how much time? I had to top off my Mazdaspeed3 (and the CR-V is right in the same ballpark) about every year / 20k miles, with just enough water to top off the tank.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cooling systems aren't 100% closed. The expansion tank will have some form of vent to atmosphere so that if you way overfill it / overheat it, the fluid has somewhere to go instead of exploding the tank. As a downside, this means you lose a little bit to evaporation.

How much have you added and over how many miles / how much time? I had to top off my Mazdaspeed3 (and the CR-V is right in the same ballpark) about every year / 20k miles, with just enough water to top off the tank.

I don't know if the dealer topped me up during regular maintenance but I can confirm that I have never topped up. I noticed that I had less than maximum fluid for a while now. It's only recently I noticed that I dropped below the minimum. I have 55k on my car right now.

My car enthusiast friends are all telling me I'm an idiot and that there's a crack or the engine is burning the coolant.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 30, 2015

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

It can also be flashed/tuned pretty well but I never delved into that. Apparently Mazda left some performance on the table to keep it more separated from the MS3.

Any details on this? I hadn't heard of anything like this but with a few more horsepower it would definitely feel good, bro. And start to make up for the gas mileage. :v:

Larrymer posted:

I drove it yesterday. I liked the trans, but thought the gas pedal was ridiculously sensitive from a stop. Taking off I like to try and time gassing it and releasing the clutch and every time barely touching it it would rev to 2-3k rpm.

This took me a little while to get used to as well. It's a symptom of the drive-by-wire tuning. The throttle opens what feels like 50% in the first quarter of the pedal's travel.

Sucks about it being a flood car though.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 31, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, Mazda didn't get properly into the modern fuel mileage game until the Skyactiv engines came out. Until then, it seemed like standard Mazda tuning was "make it a bit rich, then add some more fuel".

Made the choice of getting an MS3 pretty easy for me - economy is barely (if at all) worse than the non-turbo models

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't know if the dealer topped me up during regular maintenance but I can confirm that I have never topped up. I noticed that I had less than maximum fluid for a while now. It's only recently I noticed that I dropped below the minimum. I have 55k on my car right now.

My car enthusiast friends are all telling me I'm an idiot and that there's a crack or the engine is burning the coolant.

If the car is burning or leaking coolant, it would mean you have to top it up in a matter of days (or less), not weeks / months. It is certainly possible to have a crack or leak that only shows up when the system is pressurized, but even then you can probably find it by looking for traces of dried up coolant.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

My Sensens blew on all 4 sides and just got Koni FSD's put in. This is how the stock suspension should've performed, it's been a big upgrade in body control and ride quality. Solid pick for street driving.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

dissss posted:

Made the choice of getting an MS3 pretty easy for me - economy is barely (if at all) worse than the non-turbo models

It would always crack me up telling people that my 4 cylinder got 19 mpg (city).

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, my 3.7L Mustang with 3.73 rears gets 22-25mpg combined. That's insane.

Any word on any new gen MS3s? That's one of the models I was cross shopping when I bought the 'Stang, but it looks like atm I'll be looking at something more like a Fiesta ST for Mrs. Technoloser.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

City mileage sucked for sure, but I had no issue getting around 30 highway in mine.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

If you do 60-65 on the highway, you should average 30-35, from my observations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
2013 mazda 2
When it is "cold" (for California, so say under 50) and the car is cold, I get a clunk in my suspension (rear passenger). It is non-metalic, and I think I cannot feel it.
This only occurs for maybe the first mile and then quits. It can be quite loud and worries passengers.
It is still under warranty. Last winter I took it to the dealer, they said they heard nothing (unsurprising as I drove it there) and checked the torque on everything.
Didn't really fix it. Last winter (and last 2500 mi) before the b2b expires. Any ideas? I am thinking the shock?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

If you do 60-65 on the highway, you should average 30-35, from my observations.

The best I've seen with mine was just barely under 32 mpg. I think that was going from Austin to Dallas, with speed traps everywhere, and cruise control set to 65.

Since TX raised the speed limits to 75 on the interstates, I tend to get something more like 25-26 mpg on long drives.

I got all my parts to do my front brakes, change the thermostat, serpentine belt, and try to clean out the EGR. I still need to go pick up some coolant and trans fluid from the dealership. Hopefully, it goes smoothly this weekend.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I guess I can put this here too...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I haven't heard the Mazda curse mentioned for a while. Is it still a thing?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

2013 mazda 2
When it is "cold" (for California, so say under 50) and the car is cold, I get a clunk in my suspension (rear passenger). It is non-metalic, and I think I cannot feel it.
This only occurs for maybe the first mile and then quits. It can be quite loud and worries passengers.
It is still under warranty. Last winter I took it to the dealer, they said they heard nothing (unsurprising as I drove it there) and checked the torque on everything.
Didn't really fix it. Last winter (and last 2500 mi) before the b2b expires. Any ideas? I am thinking the shock?

The Mazdaspeed Protege had a problem with clunking. I think it was sway bar bushings or end links. Your car still has those right?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

dissss posted:

I haven't heard the Mazda curse mentioned for a while. Is it still a thing?

Within 6 months of having my car (2014) I busted the wheel bearing and bent a rim because I couldn't see a small chunk of curb between two depressed driveways. The entire wheel hub got replaced with the fancy 18" rim for a 1200 repair.

Now into year 2 of ownership some rear end in a top hat speeding down a parking lot hit me and my car is in the shop, for real this time.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Two weeks after getting my 2015 Mazda3 a lumber-carrying semitrailer kicked a huge rock into my windshield. I guess that's my version of the curse.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Heh. Picked up my new 13 Speed3 in August 2013. Within 6 months somebody backed into it in a parking lot, causing 2k in damage. Then last summer someone keyed all the doors, the hood, and the hatch, requiring 4k worth of repairs. Then, the deer. The only part that actually did work out is how well it held its value.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some kids threw a glass candle through the passenger window of my MS6 about 2 years ago and then had a dance party on top of it. Then the transmission imploded a few months after that.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I guess I had the curse when I bought mine. First full day of ownership, back into parking spot at work, nail through rear drivers side tire. Took co-workers out to look at the new shiny car, it's a thing we do, and one of them asked why the back left was low. Nail was right on the outside of the tread so could not be safely patched.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alighieri posted:

I guess I had the curse when I bought mine. First full day of ownership, back into parking spot at work, nail through rear drivers side tire. Took co-workers out to look at the new shiny car, it's a thing we do, and one of them asked why the back left was low. Nail was right on the outside of the tread so could not be safely patched.

I had this happen within the first month, except it was patchable.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The first time I went to put gas in my brand new 2008 I couldn't get the gas cap off. The dealership crossthreaded it so bad they had to replace the gas cap.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My first 3 was totaled a year after its warranty ran out when it got sandwiched between two pickup trucks, neither of which looked very damaged at all. With the Speed, I've repaired both passenger side doors after scraping it on a post next to where I parked in an underground garage, and last year fixed the front bumper after hitting a critter. Also got a flat from what looked like the cleat off a boat, in the middle of winter.

I had a first-gen Probe through most of university, didn't have to do much to that other than fix stuff that needed replacing cause I bought it as a 10-year-old car to start with. So I guess to avoid the curse, buy your Mazdas with Ford badges on them?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I had my 3 about two months before the local police tackled someone into the car during a foot chase, leaving a decent sized dent in the front fender and hood, which the department refused to pick up the tab for fixing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Well now y'all got me worried. Just took delivery of a 3 sGT yesterday.

Also, there's an annoying rattle that I think is because the driver's side door fits too closely with the dash cowl, and music played at any kind of volume with any bass (and I'm 41, it's not like I'm cranking out dubstep) is insanely annoying, with a kind of vibration / resonance / rattle noise. Anyone else have this? Can / will the dealer do anything about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I don't want to say anything for fear of waking the beast.

No major troubles for me and my 13 MS3 bought new other than twice now all the electronics going out for less than a second (bluetooth doesn't even lose connectivity). Oh, and I guess I broke the drivers seat, but I'm big and the way I get in I knew it was going to happen eventually. How about twice now being asked to join the local Mazda crew, and the first time I requested to join the Facebook group, they blocked me?