Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red posted:

Agreed, absolutely. But... doesn't an editor have a lot to do with the finished product?
The Marcia Lucas Success Theory is something cooked up by people desperate to attribute the perceived quality difference between the OT and PT to one factor. It ignores how films are made from a creative and a technical perspective. It is a canard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

When I was a teenager I was exceptionally smooth and not awkward at all.

There are ways to write teenagers as endearingly overwrought and dorkily genuine, but the prequel trilogy misses that mark quite widely. What should, at least, be charmingly mawkish falls flat to the ground. The romantic relationship between Anakin and Padme is one of the linchpins of the prequel trilogy, so its failure is fairly dire.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
How in the hell is the podrace not important to the story?

It's literally Anakin battling selflessly to help these strangers he's never met - while, unknowingly, fighting for his own freedom. But, all the while, there's troubling subtext:

-Fate chose his mother to be saved, but Quigon changed the outcome. Anakin's triumph unwittingly dooms his mother.
-Several people die in the race, and nobody cares because they're aliens.
-The protagonists' emphasis is on defeating the low-level thug Sebulba while the actual villain who runs the death races - Jabba - is ignored.
-This is one of several prequel scenes in which emphasis is placed on an audience being distracted by spectacle.
-Sandpeople take potshots from the margins, underlining that issue.

The entire podrace is like a microcosmic distillation of the narrative that also doubles as Episode 1's 'cantina' sequence, showing us that a great deal of the poor in this universe aren't human.

corn in the fridge posted:

What are the jedis ideals and why are they bad?

-Maintaining 'harmony' through the elimination of 'bad people'.
-Positive knowledge over authentic belief (e.g. creationism).
-Elitism.
-Transhumanism.
-Multiculturalism instead of antiracism....

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phylodox posted:

There are ways to write teenagers as endearingly overwrought and dorkily genuine, but the prequel trilogy misses that mark quite widely. What should, at least, be charmingly mawkish falls flat to the ground. The romantic relationship between Anakin and Padme is one of the linchpins of the prequel trilogy, so its failure is fairly dire.

I think it's alright--not the best depiction of teenage love, but the best depiction of a monastic messianic former slave and senator/former queen falling in lust then love I've ever seen

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Red posted:

Agreed, absolutely. But... doesn't an editor have a lot to do with the finished product?

George Lucas himself was essentially the primary editor on all six of the original movies. It's literally the reason he even makes movies in the first place. He's always said editing is the only part of the movie-making process he actually enjoys doing. Most directors collaborate with their editor/s to some degree, but Lucas is known for being particularly involved with it at every stage of the process. He edited the gunport battle sequence in A New Hope entirely on his own because no one else knew how to do it.

George Lucas is probably one of the worst examples you could possibly think of if you were trying to make a case for a director being saved by an editing process he had no part in. No one's saying Marcia Lucas (and Paul Hirsch, and Richard Chew) weren't exceptional editors who deserved their Academy Award. But it's not doing them any real credit to use them as cynical props in a ploy to discredit the director who gave them the opportunity in the first place.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 7, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The Marcia Lucas Success Theory is something cooked up by people desperate to attribute the perceived quality difference between the OT and PT to one factor. It ignores how films are made from a creative and a technical perspective. It is a canard.

You're correct, but having the editor be the same person that can personally go up to the creator and hold their ground while saying "no", and have input on the finished product seems significant. She's not the magic fix, but she'd have some significant effect.

Kind of like how they figured out how valuable it is, statistically, to have catchers "frame" pitches in baseball. (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/pitch-framing-and-a-peek-inside-the-industry/) Having influence to 'correct' the final product, you see.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

You mean the relationship where Anakin murders Padme? Yes it was a healthy relationship and totally normal. Joanie and chachi. Sonny and Cher..

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

George Lucas himself was essentially the primary editor on all six of the original movies. It's literally the reason he even makes movies in the first place. He's always said editing is the only part of the movie-making process he actually enjoys doing. Most directors collaborate with their editor/s to some degree, but Lucas is known for being particularly involved with it at every stage of the process. He edited the gunport battle sequence in A New Hope entirely on his own because no one else knew how to do it.

Do you have any link to read more about this? I'm genuinely curious about that. Above all else, Lucas is a film nerd.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

-Sandpeople take potshots from the margins, underlining that issue.

This is one of my favourite bits because it acts like a bellwether. I imagine people who don't like the prequels just look at it as: Lucas wanted the sand people to do a shooty-shooty LOOK HE EVEN DOES THE RAISED ARMS ABOVE HEAD l-o-l marcia lucas would've made him edit that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

it's two dorky characters, one of whom is a former slave whose development is so arrested he's only now as a young man beginning to lash out and feel real emotions and the other is a woman who has been in politics her whole life, likely without ever having been able to form any real attachments to anyone

tl;dr they're two emotionally stunted kids who desperately want to gently caress eachother and that reaction you're having is likely the same one you would have if you listened to two 15 year olds flirt in real life, specifically one between a dumb homeschooled jock and a girl who does model UN

Padme was in her mid twenties though, she's sheltered but she's also someone who talks to other people for a living and has been for the last decade, writing her as the same type of idiot clown teenager speaks in childish platitudes at the very least shows a failure of imagination of Lucas' part

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cnut the Great posted:

He edited the gunport battle sequence in A New Hope entirely on his own because no one else knew how to do it.

Probably the best edited scene in the Star Wars saga.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I actually picked up the Force Awakens novelization last night. Been reading it slowly, its not bad so far (still on Jakku). My only real complaint is BB-8, whenever someone says his name in dialogue instead of BB-8 it is spelled "Beebee-ate". Now I've always liked "Artoo" or "Threepio", but for some reason the "ate" part of BB-8's name spelled out in dialogue bugs the poo poo out of me.

wtf at all of those

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Lucas also gave Coppola the idea to intercut the executions with the baptism in The Godfather, so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me when it comes to editing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

You mean the relationship where Anakin murders Padme? Yes it was a healthy relationship and totally normal. Joanie and chachi. Sonny and Cher..

Dude, come on. Why does the audience care about the violent, tragic end of this relationship if they haven't been invested in it to begin with? Romeo and Juliet ends with a double suicide, but it's an enduring tragedy because we're led to care so deeply about them first, despite them being dumb teenagers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

On of my favorite parts of tfa is when - after the bottom turret is locked into place by damage- Rey angled the Falcon so that Finn has a clear shot. That was awesome.

Also I loved how they aped Anakins movements in the pod race with Rey piloting the falcon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Dude, come on. Why does the audience care about the violent, tragic end of this relationship if they haven't been invested in it to begin with? Romeo and Juliet ends with a double suicide, but it's an enduring tragedy because we're led to care so deeply about them first, despite them being dumb teenagers.

Right it's not Romeo and Juliet. Exactly. I think I said that two weeks ago or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lucas is an extremely good writer:

Anakin: You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?
Quigon: What makes you think that?
Anakin: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon.

Quigon: Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole it from him.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red posted:

You're correct, but having the editor be the same person that can personally go up to the creator and hold their ground while saying "no", and have input on the finished product seems significant. She's not the magic fix, but she'd have some significant effect.
The entire point of the Marcia Lucas Success Theory is that she is the magic fix and that Jorge can't do poo poo without her. This isn't a truth-is-in-the-middle thing because a good editor will always have a significant effect on the final product. But the Theory is not arguing that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lucas is an extremely good writer:

Anakin: You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?
Quigon: What makes you think that?
Anakin: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon.

Quigon: Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole it from him.

Those lines have nothing to do with that screenshot.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Padme was in her mid twenties though, she's sheltered but she's also someone who talks to other people for a living and has been for the last decade, writing her as the same type of idiot clown teenager speaks in childish platitudes at the very least shows a failure of imagination of Lucas' part

We don't really know how much Padme an Anakin were sheltered. We can only infer it from poor writing and poorly delivered dialog. Obi-wan was raised by the Jedi and he seems to be very socially aware and capable, as did Qui-Gon.

I even enjoy the prequels, for what they are, it's just that all this evidence and attempts at redemption (trolling) are just unfounded bullshit. They're fun movies with some major failings that can't be explained away with death-of-the-author nonsense; just like the OT.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

Jivjov?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

They do. Obi-Wan "killed" Anakin and took his sabre and gave it to Luke later. The Qui-Gon dialog is foreshadowing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

They do. Obi-Wan "killed" Anakin and took his sabre and gave it to Luke later. The Qui-Gon dialog is foreshadowing.

From a certain point of view I guess.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

Those auralnauts YouTubes have completely ruined the pt 3po for me. It is so funny.

I agree that Creepio would make a great father.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Right it's not Romeo and Juliet. Exactly. I think I said that two weeks ago or something.

I don't know if you're genuinely missing the point or just being willfully obtuse.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Not really. Qui Gon has nothing to do with that lightsabre or that scene, Obi Wan's not even in that scene, Obi Wan didn't kill Anakin and it's a different lightsabre.

gently caress your 'Star Wars'.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The entire point of the Marcia Lucas Success Theory is that she is the magic fix and that Jorge can't do poo poo without her. This isn't a truth-is-in-the-middle thing because a good editor will always have a significant effect on the final product. But the Theory is not arguing that.

She hasn't done anything since 1983 in the film industry, so how can we really quantify her value?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Not really. Qui Gon has nothing to do with that lightsabre or that scene, Obi Wan's not even in that scene, Obi Wan didn't kill Anakin and it's a different lightsabre.

gently caress your 'Star Wars'.

Jivjov rereg spotted

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Jivjov rereg spotted
Don't badmouth my son.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I don't know if you're genuinely missing the point or just being willfully obtuse.

They aren't r and j so going into it looking for r and j will disappoint you

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red posted:

She hasn't done anything since 1983 in the film industry, so how can we really quantify her value?

You're right. It's impossible to know what percent of the goodness of the OT is due to her influence, so we must assume that she was the missing ingredient on the PT creative team that turned them into massive piles of bantha poodoo. There's nothing at all wrong with that line of thought.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Quigon literally says not to trust someone just because they're holding a laser sword, and it went right over people's heads.

This also links him to Greivous, who actually is just a dude who killed a bunch of Jedi and stole their laser swords.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

They aren't r and j so going into it looking for r and j will disappoint you

You're being a jivjov, dude. The emotional core of your story, even if that story ends in tragedy, should engage the audience. Especially if it's a tragedy.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

You're being a jivjov, dude. The emotional core of your story, even if that story ends in tragedy, should engage the audience. Especially if it's a tragedy.

The emotional core of Episode 2 is Yoda.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I think anyone who has actually seen Romeo and Juliet would agree that they're both really ridiculous melodramatic teenagers who were definitely not in love and just wanted to gently caress and have that be OK by 16th century standards

Shakespeare didn't mean for us to fawn over those two, we're meant to roll our eyes at them

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Waffles Inc. posted:

I think anyone who has actually seen Romeo and Juliet would agree that they're both really ridiculous melodramatic teenagers who were definitely not in love and just wanted to gently caress and have that be OK by 16th century standards

Shakespeare didn't mean for us to fawn over those two, we're meant to roll our eyes at them

This is actually explicit if you read audience reactions from the 16th century.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

an skeleton posted:

I don't like this because you're conflating/combining "bad idea/poor execution" with mindless greed. If anything it is more like what SMG said; Jar Jar is an alien fish dude who has some superhuman abilities, which comes off on the screen as ridiculous because Jar Jar is basically a goofy fish guy who performs feats that normally are associated with force sensitivity. Since we assume Jar Jar is not force-sensitive, it comes off as cartoonish and incongruent with Jar Jar's characterization.

Is it so hard to imagine that a non-human would be "superhuman" in some respects? Chewbacca has superhuman strength. C-3PO has superhuman linguistic ability. Maz has superhuman longevity. And so forth.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Anakin and Padme's romance is one of the central focuses of RotS though. Funnily enough, once Anakin goes off the deep end it works alot better; Obi-Wan's 'The child is his? I'm so sorry', Anakin's wile eyed ranting on Mustafar, I just don't buy Padme flipping between worldly democratic idealist 'This is how democracy dies? etc' and the hopelessly infatuated teenage doormat in her scenes with Anakin. I maintain a competent co-writer really could have helped develop whatever it was George was exactly aiming for with Padme, as he doesn't seem to have a hand for writing romance or female characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is exactly what I said. They're mawkish and overwrought, but written in such a way that we care about what happens to them. Padme and Anakin come off as stilted and artificial.

• Locked thread