Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably 4 or 5 on the Waring? Not sure.

Lately I've been using Carbon's Golden Malted waffle mix for my quick waffles, but the price has gone through the roof on amazon, so I will be back to using this recipe soon.

I just realized it says shite sugar. Yeah...that should be white sugar.

Well that'll make the excess batter easier to store, at least.

I just learned the hard way that I can only eat one Waring waffle at a time. Which makes this calorie business a little bit less important.

Also I got overflow batter all over the outside. What's a good way to clean a Waring Pro? Soap and water right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

I just realized it says shite sugar. Yeah...that should be white sugar.

Well that would have been handy to know a few hours ago.

Anybody know what I can do with 2 5lb bags of shite sugar?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Well that'll make the excess batter easier to store, at least.

I just learned the hard way that I can only eat one Waring waffle at a time. Which makes this calorie business a little bit less important.

Also I got overflow batter all over the outside. What's a good way to clean a Waring Pro? Soap and water right?

You should be able to wipe it down with a wet rag. I wouldn't plan on storing the batter though. The baking powder makes bubbles twice: Once when it is mixed with water, the other when it gets heated. If you store it for more than an hour or two, you will lose the first round of bubbles. Also, the flour will start to change...you would end up with a chewier texture. So instead of light fluffy waffles you'll have dense chewy waffles which is no bueno (unless that's your thing). You're better off trying to halve the recipe.

Or do what I do, make all the waffles, store the extras in a zip loc bag ONCE THEY COOL. Will keep on the counter for a couple days or in the freezer til whenever. Put in the toaster to reheat/crisp up.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Or do what I do, make all the waffles, store the extras in a zip loc bag ONCE THEY COOL. Will keep on the counter for a couple days or in the freezer til whenever. Put in the toaster to reheat/crisp up.

Yep this. All about homemade frozen waffles and pancakes (microwave pancakes to reheat).

ETA: dough (not batter) made with baking powder can and should be stored, i.e. for cookies and (american) biscuits aka scones. Like I made a double biscuit recipe, rolled and cut the dough and then froze half of the biscuits. Now I've hosed Pillsbury out of their frozen biscuit business.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 6, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How long will a raw pizza last in the fridge?

It's a pesto and cheese and pepper pizza with no meat, sealed in plastic wrap.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So I went with the girlfriend to this place, The Pharmacy, in Nashville, TN this past weekend and tried this stuff they have called curry ketchup and now I have to have more but apparently its really hard to find in America. Any particular brands I should look at finding online from Europe or specific recipes for making my own that's better than just curry powder and heinz?

How did it taste—more complex like a spiced curry, or more simply savory and peppery?

Because there's curry ketchup, the stuff from Europe which is basically curry spices and ketchup... but there's also gochujang ketchup taking the food nerd scene by storm (occasionally as "curry ketchup"), and that's just Korean gochujang that's thinned down or mixed to taste with ketchup.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

How long will a raw pizza last in the fridge?

It's a pesto and cheese and pepper pizza with no meat, sealed in plastic wrap.
The dough will eventually poo poo itself re: gluten as it's already shaped and it'll absorption moisture of the sauce so you won't get a good crust. Assembled pizzas should be par cooked. The age of the dough determines that.

Pizza dough itself is good for about a week in the fridge.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr. Wookums posted:

The dough will eventually poo poo itself re: gluten as it's already shaped and it'll absorption moisture of the sauce so you won't get a good crust. Assembled pizzas should be par cooked. The age of the dough determines that.

Pizza dough itself is good for about a week in the fridge.

Ditto, I've tried keeping pizzas with toppings raw and wrapped, they soak up the sauce and get weird and never quite bake up a good crust.

Par-bake your pizza and pop it in the fridge, or par bake and freeze (which is how I give my friends pizzas as gifts)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Molten Llama posted:

but there's also gochujang ketchup taking the food nerd scene by storm (occasionally as "curry ketchup"), and that's just Korean gochujang that's thinned down or mixed to taste with ketchup.

:dogbutton:

Well I know what I'm doing now.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:dogbutton:

Well I know what I'm doing now.

It's the only ketchup I will ever accept on a burger.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Any recommendations for a good Spanish cookbook? Especially something highlighting regional variations.

Ketchup chat: locally we have some stuff, that while I wouldn't call it curry ketchup, is definitely different than your usual Heinz 57. It's from Denver and called Elevation ketchup. You could check their website and see if you can have it delivered. It's definitely got a spicier tone to it. I think it's the tits.

e: spelling

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 7, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not big on regular ketchup, but Heinz's balsamic vinegar ketchup is pretty awesome

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Brawnfire posted:

Ditto, I've tried keeping pizzas with toppings raw and wrapped, they soak up the sauce and get weird and never quite bake up a good crust.

Par-bake your pizza and pop it in the fridge, or par bake and freeze (which is how I give my friends pizzas as gifts)

This pizza has been raw and refrigerated for about 24 hours. I'd like to save it for tomorrow if I can, but should I bake it tonight to preserve what I can of the crust?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Molten Llama posted:

How did it taste—more complex like a spiced curry, or more simply savory and peppery?

Because there's curry ketchup, the stuff from Europe which is basically curry spices and ketchup... but there's also gochujang ketchup taking the food nerd scene by storm (occasionally as "curry ketchup"), and that's just Korean gochujang that's thinned down or mixed to taste with ketchup.

Honestly it tasted like a less sweet, slightly spicier ketchup. I would say it had a curried taste to it but I've never had anything with curry on it so I don't know what it tastes like :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

This pizza has been raw and refrigerated for about 24 hours. I'd like to save it for tomorrow if I can, but should I bake it tonight to preserve what I can of the crust?

At this point, I'd just do it like it is tomorrow and just remember for next time. Or roll it up into a stromboli.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Honestly it tasted like a less sweet, slightly spicier ketchup. I would say it had a curried taste to it but I've never had anything with curry on it so I don't know what it tastes like :(

Good snack places make their own curry sauce by just mixing curry spices into some some ketchup. It's usually a bit sweeter than ketchup (which I'm told is much more vinegary-tart here than in America, so ymmv).

"Curry" spices is a very broad category, but I think a good start would be some turmeric, paprika, cumin, koriander and chili powder. If your ketchup base is tart you could maybe add some brown sugar too.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I mistakenly got the wrong pink wine and it's way too sweet. What do I do with the remaining 3/4 of the bottle? Sorbet? Any other ideas? It's not bad besides being just too sweet for my drinking taste.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

psychokitty posted:

I mistakenly got the wrong pink wine and it's way too sweet. What do I do with the remaining 3/4 of the bottle? Sorbet? Any other ideas? It's not bad besides being just too sweet for my drinking taste.

Is it a pink zinfandel? Either share it with the rest of your sorority sisters or dump it down the drain.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

psychokitty posted:

Zabaione! Delicious and easy :D

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Sangria Punch! Throw some pineapple juice and fruit and vodka in there. Yeah, it's even more sweet now, but now it's MOTHAFUKKIN PUNCH. Get your indoor beach party on.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Is it a pink zinfandel? Either share it with the rest of your sorority sisters or dump it down the drain.

Hurr. No, it's a local variety. I had tried a dry one at the winery, but they were out at the time, and later mistakenly grabbed its sweeter cousin.

I like the sabayon/zabaglione idea... solid... but also :effort:

Considering vinegar? Would have to get a mother... has anyone done it?

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Add some sugar and vanilla and make cute pink poached pears!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay your waffle batter recipe was tits. Thank you! :yum:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

PiratePing posted:

Add some sugar and vanilla and make cute pink poached pears!

YESSS! This is the thing! Thank you.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

psychokitty posted:

Hurr. No, it's a local variety. I had tried a dry one at the winery, but they were out at the time, and later mistakenly grabbed its sweeter cousin.

I like the sabayon/zabaglione idea... solid... but also :effort:

Considering vinegar? Would have to get a mother... has anyone done it?

I've been told that you can actually just leave an uncorked bottle of wine on the counter for 6-9 months, and wild yeast will find its way in and do it's magic. No mother required.

I haven't fact checked this but if anyone can confirm/deny I would be interested.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Best way to sanitize a wood cutting board? It's been sitting in a garage for the past year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just wash it with soap. If you're paranoid, sand the whole thing down with a fine grit paper. Or just throw it away and get a brand new cutting board for $10 from IKEA.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

OMG TARDS FFS WOOD IS ANTIBACTERIAL ALREADY

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I made fudge last night and it looks like I forgot to grease the foil so now it's thoroughly stuck. How can I salvage this?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You can heat the foil up a little while pulling on it. Depending on how wrinkly th foil is, you may have to melt the fudge a little more then you'd like.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can pull the whole thing out of the pan, flip it over, and try to slowly pull the foil off the fudge instead of vice versa. It's still not going to be easy, but should be easier.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I went to my trusted Turkish butcher's and got 2.5 kg leg of lamb. I plan to cook this in my my cast-iron dutch oven I got for christmas.
As for the leg it will be spiked with garlic and rosmary and roasted in either red or lamb/veggie stock, and mixed "soup veggies" (here in Germany this means a mix of carrot, leek, celery root and parsley).
I am struggling with side dishes. I came up with roasted potatoes or green beans wrapped in bacon, but that's pretty normal.

Question:
What other side dishes could I go for that are not brussel sprouts and relatively low effort? Ideally I want something I can prepare while the roast is in the oven (~1.5 hours).

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Creamed spinach and pan-roasted carrots with honey and sea salt.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
So, I went to this Polish restaurant in the middle of nowhere in Northern Michigan over the summer (Leg's Inn, and it's awesome, for the décor alone, but they also have the best drat potato pancakes and goulash). They served this soup that they called a "white borscht". It was kind of like a slightly spicy sausage and potato soup, but with hard-boiled eggs and a very slightly sour tang. Anyway, it was great, and I think I'm going to cook up a big pot for a beer tasting/potluck soon. Maybe even try to roll up my own kielbasa.

I was looking at a few recipes, and it looks like that "sour" can come from a variety of sources, such as sour cream or, traditionally, some fermented rye flour concoction. I'm kind of wondering if it even matters, as the sour taste was so sleight that I'm not sure anyone would really be able to pick it out. Before I started looking for recipes, I assumed it was something like sauerkraut water. I was just wondering if anybody had ever made this before, or had any recommendations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

You can pull the whole thing out of the pan, flip it over, and try to slowly pull the foil off the fudge instead of vice versa. It's still not going to be easy, but should be easier.

Flip it over, and scrape the foil off with a veggie peeler.

Why no, I haven't had to do anything like that before, why do you ask?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

nominal posted:

I was just wondering if anybody had ever made this before, or had any recommendations.

They probably just used buttermilk. You could also use creme fraiche or sour cream.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Brawnfire posted:

Flip it over, and scrape the foil off with a veggie peeler.

Why no, I haven't had to do anything like that before, why do you ask?
Yeah, I was thinking fish tweezers for the shreds left . . .

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nominal posted:

So, I went to this Polish restaurant in the middle of nowhere in Northern Michigan over the summer (Leg's Inn, and it's awesome, for the décor alone, but they also have the best drat potato pancakes and goulash). They served this soup that they called a "white borscht". It was kind of like a slightly spicy sausage and potato soup, but with hard-boiled eggs and a very slightly sour tang. Anyway, it was great, and I think I'm going to cook up a big pot for a beer tasting/potluck soon. Maybe even try to roll up my own kielbasa.

I was looking at a few recipes, and it looks like that "sour" can come from a variety of sources, such as sour cream or, traditionally, some fermented rye flour concoction. I'm kind of wondering if it even matters, as the sour taste was so sleight that I'm not sure anyone would really be able to pick it out. Before I started looking for recipes, I assumed it was something like sauerkraut water. I was just wondering if anybody had ever made this before, or had any recommendations.
The sour element is one of the distinctive features of the dish. It's possible that it was muted for serving in a restaurant in America, but all of the versions made by Poles for Poles that I'm familiar with have a definite sour note. It's also possible that the contemporary version of the dish is substantially different from the biały barszcz I'm familiar with---Polish tastes and habits changed a lot in the mid to late 20th Century, from the War, Communist rule, Solidarność, and so on.

That aside, the exact composition of the dish isn't something that's set in stone or anything. It's one of those things where you find one guy who insists he has the One True Recipe for it, and then you ask his neighbors and they'll speak with equal conviction about a completely different approach. So don't worry about it from that standpoint. That being said, the version I'm most familiar with uses kwas, which a liquid made by fermenting stale rye bread in water. Kwas is used in a lot of traditional Polish cooking, particularly soups, and is something your crazy old Uncles would drink straight when nattering away about the good old days. If you had crazy old Polish Uncles.

Edit: Hey, there's a wikipedia article on kwas, which they spell kvass.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Question:
What other side dishes could I go for that are not brussel sprouts and relatively low effort? Ideally I want something I can prepare while the roast is in the oven (~1.5 hours).

Dice a large carrot and a swede, boil them in salted water for about 15-20 minutes, then mash them up together with salt, pepper and butter. I follow my Grandmother's recipe for gravy, so I keep the water the veg is boiled in and use it as a stock to make a gravy from the drippings in the pan, but I don't think that's compatible with what you're doing.

psychokitty posted:

Creamed spinach and pan-roasted carrots with honey and sea salt.

Sounds nice! You could roast some parsnips along with the carrots as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone use industrial fry oil? Costco has huge 5 gallon jugs of this stuff with anti-oxidants like TBHQ. I was wondering how long I can use something like this. Will it last a year on the shelf?