Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Oh, that reminds me of another discovery thing Kodi does. I use a couple of trailers addons and when we watch a trailer we're interested in, they have an option to add to Couchpotato, so the movie is automatically available for us to watch and we get a notification about it.

This add-on hasn't worked for me in ages, and it's something I've really missed. I'm talking multiple version of Kodi, across two platforms. It's gotta be something in CP but I can't figure out what. Dev looks abandoned as well, going by the Kodi forum thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I must say - as somebody who has two TVs setup with Sonarr + NZBGet + Couch Potato + Amazon Fire + Kodi, Kodi with apps isn't nearly as good.

I bought a $40 Amazon Fire Stick and set it up last night - I was hoping I would have a good device for traveling - I installed FireStarter and installed the latest build of Kodi, along with SALTS, Genesis, Phoenix, SportsDevil, and 1Channel. Most of the content I attempt to access, especially on SALTS, doesn't load - it will search through the sources, bring up a bunch of CAPCHAs that fail, and throw me back into the content selection screen.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with these apps/sources, but I figured they would work really well after a few friends raved about them.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 7, 2016

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I figured they would work really well after a few friends raved about them.

:laugh:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lesson learned: nothing will ever compare to Usenet. Nothing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I must say - as somebody who has two TVs setup with Sonarr + NZBGet + Couch Potato + Amazon Fire + Kodi, Kodi with apps isn't nearly as good.

I bought a $40 Amazon Fire Stick and set it up last night - I was hoping I would have a good device for traveling - I installed FireStarter and installed the latest build of Kodi, along with SALTS, Genesis, Phoenix, SportsDevil, and 1Channel. Most of the content I attempt to access, especially on SALTS, doesn't load - it will search through the sources, bring up a bunch of CAPCHAs that fail, and throw me back into the content selection screen.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with these apps/sources, but I figured they would work really well after a few friends raved about them.

Never heard of SALTS but the others should work fine. Certain streams in Phoenix don't work but that stuff is always hit and miss. With the others, it's just a matter of looking around and finding the right source.

The biggest advantage of using an Android box is having the official apps work alongside Kodi. While it's a little weird to have multiple UIs, you can launch Netflix in Kodi, watch something, exit, and end back up in Kodi. Which is a million times better than trying to gently caress around with some type of hack to try to make Netflix work in Kodi proper.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 8, 2016

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Call Me Charlie posted:

Never heard of SALTS but the others should work fine. Certain streams in Phoenix don't work but that stuff is always hit and miss. With the others, it's just a matter of looking around and finding the right source.

Echoing this. Also MQ stuff in Genesis is where it's at.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Going to be trying KOver shortly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7VrTMiHJ_g

redhalo
May 19, 2009

I found KOver to be a super cool proof of concept, but for as flexible as it is it wasn't flexible in the ways that I wanted to setup. Definitely keeping an eye on it though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Very sweet looking, I'll give this a try later as well.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I played with it a bit before going to lunch and legit couldn't figure anything out, so I'm going to just enjoy Eminence 2.0 awhile longer and then come back to it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Can someone please resume active development on the Ace skin?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

Can someone please resume active development on the Ace skin?

Your best bet is to figure out what it is you like about the Ace skin - certain views, or home screen layouts, whatever - and find a skin that supports those. Several of the newer, better Kodi skins, like Titan, Eminence, or Arctic, offer a lot of different options for views, colors, home screen layouts, etc. You may have to play around with them to "dial it in" but I am betting you can get something that works pretty close to whatever it is about Ace you like.

The Kodi skin development scene is pretty fickle in general and has its share of petty arguments over credit and single source developers (like the guy behind Ace) who give it up after a while. I've learned to stick to skins with several developers and a strong community backing who don't rely on out of repo hacks/zip files.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thank god no one has run Hitcher out of the Kodi skin community.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I read somewhere some benefit to running Jarvis on the Shield, but I can't remember why...anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

I read somewhere some benefit to running Jarvis on the Shield, but I can't remember why...anyone know what I'm talking about?

If you use the Shield remote Jarvis supports long-press remote commands which is very handy considering how few buttons it has.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

If you use the Shield remote Jarvis supports long-press remote commands which is very handy considering how few buttons it has.

Ahh yes, that was it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Anyone know how to get context menu working with Harmony Smart Control, Shield, and Kodi?

edit: I'll try this tomorrow: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=255712

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 10, 2016

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

So as someone who has never used CouchPotato and usenet, what UseNet service do you use? Does it matter which? I'm certainly interested in learning more about Couchpotato and the whole process.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

DarkSol posted:

So as someone who has never used CouchPotato and usenet, what UseNet service do you use? Does it matter which? I'm certainly interested in learning more about Couchpotato and the whole process.

The thread you want is over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898, has everything you need to know and more.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Ixian posted:

The thread you want is over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898, has everything you need to know and more.

Thanks! I knew there was a thread, but I couldn't remember where it was. :glomp:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anyone know of a way to export a nfo for one movie in a library?

I have the three "despecialized" Star Wars movies on my server, and I want to add them into Kodi. I feel like exporting the details from the actual movie to an nfo and then changing the title/info slightly would be easier than creating one from scratch (which I'm willing to do if it comes down to it).

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EC posted:

Anyone know of a way to export a nfo for one movie in a library?

I have the three "despecialized" Star Wars movies on my server, and I want to add them into Kodi. I feel like exporting the details from the actual movie to an nfo and then changing the title/info slightly would be easier than creating one from scratch (which I'm willing to do if it comes down to it).

Only way I know is Settings>video>Library export library and select the separate files option. That will create .nfo files for your entire library and put individual files for each inside their directory (assuming the movies are in separate directories per movie like they should be).

However it doesn't take very long, the files aren't exactly large, and having local nfo files isn't a bad thing. That said if you really hate the clutter, just copy the nfo you want and do a mass *.nfo delete to clean up the rest. Then do your mod for the movies you want.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ixian posted:

Only way I know is Settings>video>Library export library and select the separate files option. That will create .nfo files for your entire library and put individual files for each inside their directory (assuming the movies are in separate directories per movie like they should be).

However it doesn't take very long, the files aren't exactly large, and having local nfo files isn't a bad thing. That said if you really hate the clutter, just copy the nfo you want and do a mass *.nfo delete to clean up the rest. Then do your mod for the movies you want.

Good idea, thanks. I really do hate the clutter, even though I know it makes me a spaz.

So I was browsing the Kodi forums and apparently one of the big devs on the Android side has "retired" because of some internal problems with the rest of the dev team. Hopefully they'll get it all straightened out. Meanwhile the guy who retired is still doing work on SPMC. Anyone messed with it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ember Media Manager seems like it can scrape the info for a single file and write *.nfo and artwork files automatically.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=191781

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EC posted:

Good idea, thanks. I really do hate the clutter, even though I know it makes me a spaz.

So I was browsing the Kodi forums and apparently one of the big devs on the Android side has "retired" because of some internal problems with the rest of the dev team. Hopefully they'll get it all straightened out. Meanwhile the guy who retired is still doing work on SPMC. Anyone messed with it?

If you access your share through Explorer, Finder, or Gnome (the last is a year of Desktop Linux joke) just do a find of all *.nfo ordered by date and delete the ones just created, should only take a minute. That way you won't delete any you might want to keep and don't know it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ixian posted:

If you access your share through Explorer, Finder, or Gnome (the last is a year of Desktop Linux joke) just do a find of all *.nfo ordered by date and delete the ones just created, should only take a minute. That way you won't delete any you might want to keep and don't know it.

Yep, knocked it all out already. Thanks again!

Uthor posted:

Ember Media Manager seems like it can scrape the info for a single file and write *.nfo and artwork files automatically.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=191781

This thread is beginning to look like "install Emby, problem solved". :) At some point (when I setup the guest bedroom TV) I'll have to look into it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

This thread is beginning to look like "install Emby, problem solved". :) At some point (when I setup the guest bedroom TV) I'll have to look into it.

Despite the similar name, Ember Media Manager doesn't have anything to do with Emby.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, it's an *.nfo file creator/editor. I'm not super happy with the layout of the program, but it makes it easy to edit many files at once (I still tend to do it manually when it's a one-off thing).

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
CouchPotato automatically generates nfo files and downloads artwork. I use it only for that and not for managing my movies. I switched from doing it manually in Ember Media Manager to CP.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Despite the similar name, Ember Media Manager doesn't have anything to do with Emby.

:downs: Yeah I just read one for the other. I've used Ember before, but mostly I just let Kodi do its thing nowadays. Seems to work fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

:downs: Yeah I just read one for the other. I've used Ember before, but mostly I just let Kodi do its thing nowadays. Seems to work fine.

Yeah, I haven't used something like Ember in years. Kodi just scrapes and its fine.

(Well I guess for the past few months Emby is doing the scraping now.)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EC posted:

Even though you confused the two you should look in to Emby (not Ember) since it is awesome and constantly getting better. Plex is good as well. They are both worth the $70 or so for "lifetime" access but neither is required for in-home streaming.

For me, my Emby server (which resides on my central home-built FreeNAS storage server but can run on more than that) is the one constant that works with everything. I still give Plex the slight edge in mobile device/syncing support but Emby is the clear choice if you want to use Kodi on some or all of your clients as it has much better support for it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I haven't used something like Ember in years. Kodi just scrapes and its fine.

(Well I guess for the past few months Emby is doing the scraping now.)

I need to edit nfo files every now and then. I can go on for paragraphs complaining about how Kodi/TVDB handle The Animaniacs to where my easiest solution was to just write the drat files myself.

I also add a lot of weird one off things to my library. I like to rip the special features off of DVDs and those usually require a custom nfo file. Most recently I ripped a DVD of New Order music videos that didn't appear in any databases and it was easier just to fill out that info manually.

Question about Emby: does it read nfo files and does it do "dvd order" for for TV shows? Those two things keep me from using Plex more often. There's some stuff that I can edit manually and just live with, but, for example, I'm not going to fix nearly 100 Futurama episodes manually because I ripped them in DVD order and Plex only does aired date.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

I need to edit nfo files every now and then. I can go on for paragraphs complaining about how Kodi/TVDB handle The Animaniacs to where my easiest solution was to just write the drat files myself.

I also add a lot of weird one off things to my library. I like to rip the special features off of DVDs and those usually require a custom nfo file. Most recently I ripped a DVD of New Order music videos that didn't appear in any databases and it was easier just to fill out that info manually.

Question about Emby: does it read nfo files and does it do "dvd order" for for TV shows? Those two things keep me from using Plex more often. There's some stuff that I can edit manually and just live with, but, for example, I'm not going to fix nearly 100 Futurama episodes manually because I ripped them in DVD order and Plex only does aired date.

1, Emby has the best web based metadata editor around. 2, it allows you to set shows (episodes or entire shows) as aired, DVD, or absolute (the latter means set the order to whatever you want). 3, you can "lock" shows after you are done so no updates gently caress with it. 4, yes it reads existing nfo's as long as they are correctly formatted (if you already have them working with Kodi then they are). The Metadata editor can be thought of as a web based front end nfo editor, actually.

You will still have to manually edit shows - it defaults to Aired. However you can mass-select, for example, all the shows in a season, and set the preferred order that way. It might take a little work to get it set right when you first move over.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Ixian posted:

Even though you confused the two you should look in to Emby (not Ember) since it is awesome and constantly getting better. Plex is good as well. They are both worth the $70 or so for "lifetime" access but neither is required for in-home streaming.

Fyi for those looking into these services - The price for both keeps going up. Emby is now $100, and Plex is $150.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
MySQL remains free! I knew those database certs I got in college would finally pay off.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

MySQL remains free! I knew those database certs I got in college would finally pay off.

Yeah, MySQL is completely viable if you're not looking to stream remotely. However...Emby works fine for centralized database management and remote streaming without buying the paid product.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

What exactly do you get for paying for it? I've never seen anything gated off.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tanbo posted:

What exactly do you get for paying for it? I've never seen anything gated off.

https://emby.media/premiere/

I think the big thing for most people who would consider it is mobile sync...which I guess syncs media to your phone/tablet while you're at home so you can watch it on your device without streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

https://emby.media/premiere/

I think the big thing for most people who would consider it is mobile sync...which I guess syncs media to your phone/tablet while you're at home so you can watch it on your device without streaming.

I think the Emby app has a premium IAP for a couple dollars that turns that on.

Still couldn't get Emby to stream to Chromecast though.