Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HookShot posted:

Whistler by Hannah, on Flickr
Whistler by Hannah, on Flickr

Excellent.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi Road by alkanphel, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
So, I do most of my photos on my phone now (kill me), but I haven't bothered to explore camera apps beyond the default one that came with my G4, which has full manual control and shoots raw. Are there any other apps (Android) I should check out? I would also like to find a way to hardware trigger a photo from standby with one. Currently I can press down on the volume rocker to get a picture, but it takes a couple of seconds...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The stock android app for Nexus 5 had exposure compensation controls - +2 to -2. It was nice.
I have the nexus 6p now and the same app but they've removed those controls for my model.

I use L Camera. It has manual shutter speed and iso selections. A bit clunky cause it's a personal project (not mine) but works fine. May or may not work for your model.
https://github.com/PkmX/lcamera

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I use Camera FV-5 and the default google camera. Camera FV-5 has pretty much everything you can think of option wise. I know people also like DSLR Camera Pro which looks to be on par with FV-5. I would check how well they work with your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flavionet.android.camera.pro
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.vipek.camera&hl=en

I occasionally will use Photomate R2 for raw editing, which is pretty robust. The UI is pretty cramped on my Nexus 6. Since buying it, decent RAW alternatives are out. Snapseed is good for quick edits, but it is not great at noise reduction. Lightroom seems nice, but I am afraid how adobe will mess it up in the future. Maybe I will just block it from updating.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tssystems.photomate2
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.niksoftware.snapseed
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.lrmobile

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I find VSCOCam to be pretty harsh while editing photos with it.
Maybe I should switch to fixing photos in PS

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
VSCOCam was a little overboard for me also which is why I switched to Snapseed for a while but it kinda seems like they're really cranking the effects more and more and the slider to tone it down does less and less.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea. All I need is curves mannnn give me the curves!
An old iteration of the stock gallery in Android had curves, back when the UI of Android was blue. They nixxed it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I exclusively export my dngs to edit in Photoshop, idg why I would ever use an inferior editing platform on my phone.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Stupid Sony doesn't use Android's default camera framework and rolled their own thing, it's only JPGs for me but that's probably still better than using the bad editing apps.

e: Actually took some pictures for once.

DSC_2129.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC_2132.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 29, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I exclusively export my dngs to edit in Photoshop, idg why I would ever use an inferior editing platform on my phone.

Oh how I'd love to be able to get dngs out of my iPhone.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
645 Pro won't do DNGs but it does do TIFFs with some raw data - as much as any app can get from the phone, as I understand it. I used it on my last trip to Japan as a backup to a canon G1X and was happy with the results.

It's good enough that you'll be limited by what your phone's hardware is capable of long before the software lets you down.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Which camera app are you iPhone duders using? I've just grabbed Camera+ on my 6S+ and it seems fairly good. I tried VSCO but found it completely unintuitive.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I use "Camera"

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The only thing that bugs me about the default app is the apparent lack of white balance control. Am I missing it somewhere?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

I use "Camera"

Same.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I have Camera+, VSCO, ProCam, and I always just fall back on Camera.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Another "camera" user.

Ocasionally I use snapchat and download the end result if it turned out not to be a total dogshit photo.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

2016-01-06_12-32-08 by Geektox, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Digital Jesus posted:

Which camera app are you iPhone duders using? I've just grabbed Camera+ on my 6S+ and it seems fairly good. I tried VSCO but found it completely unintuitive.

I use Manual, it's kinda clunky but It's nice to be able manually lock the focus or exposure which I always find I gently caress up in the default camera app. I've got an iPhone 5 so maybe the default camera app works better with the cameras on the newer iphones, idk.

edit: you get white balance control too

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Excuse me please put this on Flickr so I can mash the star on it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

iSheep posted:

Hah thanks!
Link https://flic.kr/p/BYurdB

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

iSheep posted:

same

good

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
views
faves

:shittypop:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

iSheep posted:

views
faves

:shittypop:

Yea, like 2 hours after I posted it I started getting notifications, a lot of notifications. Apparently it got on the explore page, hence the views.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

Yea, like 2 hours after I posted it I started getting notifications, a lot of notifications. Apparently it got on the explore page, hence the views.

We invite you to post this in the Landscape Thread

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I got an LG G4 recently and I'm loving the default camera app. I can gently caress around with shutter speed, whitebalance, ISO and exposure compensation. The digital zoom is poo poo but I don't know of any cellphone camera that does that well. I'm mostly just using Instagram for post-processing.

Nadia investigates #pershastudia #officekitteh #kitten #wargamingnet #swag #gamedev by Iain Compton, on Flickr

metro texture #kievmetro #kiev #kyiv #ukraine #stationdecor #publictransport by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Oases #citylife #streetscene #kyiv #kiev #ukraine #nightphotography by Iain Compton, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Digital zoom is just cropping, fyi.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

HookShot posted:

Another "camera" user.

Ocasionally I use snapchat and download the end result if it turned out not to be a total dogshit photo.

same

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I ain't no art guy or nothin', but I dig that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Can't get over how much I'm likin' this.