Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Charlie Work really lived up to the hype. That was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

:perfect:
It really was one of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen. That pacing!:vince: I'm so glad it's on Netflix and not broken up by commercials.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
*cymbal crash*

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I'm just glad I finally got to see the bucket of blood episode that I had missed before. So funny.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Agreed. I've kinda cooled off on Always Sunny over the years, but I watched that ep last night to see what all the fuss was about, and it was solid. Is the rest of the season pretty good?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

knows a black guy posted:

Agreed. I've kinda cooled off on Always Sunny over the years, but I watched that ep last night to see what all the fuss was about, and it was solid. Is the rest of the season pretty good?

I think so, but I never cooled on the show. They explore more of Dennis' psychopathy, which I really get a kick out of.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I thought a couple were a bit weak (one being the Psycho Pete episode) but overall I thought it was great. I am also a big fan though so take it how you will.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd say season 10 is one of the top 3 seasons of the show. Wade Boggs and Charlie Work are certainly two of my favorite episodes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

"The Gang Misses The Boat" is really good for many reasons, but especially because the plot hinges on them recognizing how loving weird they've gotten & trying to, unsuccessfully, get back to being regular old jerks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah that episode is how you do "meta" right. The Def Poetry Slam bits were also hilarious if you've ever actually seen slam poetry (which, for your sake, I hope you haven't).

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah that episode is how you do "meta" right. The Def Poetry Slam bits were also hilarious if you've ever actually seen slam poetry (which, for your sake, I hope you haven't).

I'm from the city where Slam Poetry first... slammed its ugly head. I've been to The Green Mill & paid too much for a martini there.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

precision posted:

I'd say season 10 is one of the top 3 seasons of the show. Wade Boggs and Charlie Work are certainly two of my favorite episodes.

The Wade Boggs episode is so perfect I'm tempted to cut it into the Hour of Power DVD I made after season 4 came out. (But I won't because I'm not in my early 20s where we did that stuff anymore :v:)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

heyyyyyyy Boss Hossssss!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Finally got around to watching The Suspect and man Korean cinema is on point lately.

Solid movie, kinda felt like a mix of Mission Impossible meets The Fugitive detailing spy scandals between North and South Korea. Good budget and cinematography and the fights / car chases were really good. Solid action flick if you're in the mood for one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mysterious frankie posted:

I'm from the city where Slam Poetry first... slammed its ugly head. I've been to The Green Mill & paid too much for a martini there.

Yeah but at least back then Russel Simmons didn't think he literally owned the concept of slam poetry.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I didn't catch season 10 of it's always sunny in philadelphia when it was airing, but the first 2 episodes are already pretty goddamn funny

how the hell has this show continued to be this good for this long? it's amazing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

cat doter posted:

I didn't catch season 10 of it's always sunny in philadelphia when it was airing, but the first 2 episodes are already pretty goddamn funny

how the hell has this show continued to be this good for this long? it's amazing

Here's my theory. One of the most common problems with long running comedies is that the audience gets bored with a certain level of absurdity. It becomes necessary to keep ramping things up more and more as the seasons go by, and eventually the characters aren't even close to what we started with.

Its Always Sunny started with the premise that these characters are just the most absurd people you could ever possibly meet. So yea things have gotten more and more insane as the seasons have gone on, but it feels much more natural than in most other shows because it fits the characters. Nothing these people do could ever be so absurd as to be "out of character", and the show was designed that way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

Here's my theory. One of the most common problems with long running comedies is that the audience gets bored with a certain level of absurdity. It becomes necessary to keep ramping things up more and more as the seasons go by, and eventually the characters aren't even close to what we started with.

Its Always Sunny started with the premise that these characters are just the most absurd people you could ever possibly meet. So yea things have gotten more and more insane as the seasons have gone on, but it feels much more natural than in most other shows because it fits the characters. Nothing these people do could ever be so absurd as to be "out of character", and the show was designed that way.

The first season wasn't nearly as absurd as they are now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

The first season wasn't nearly as absurd as they are now.

I know, I said that. My point is that the premise of the show allows for the characters to get more and more extreme without losing the core of what they were originally.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

yeah, I think I get ya, most sitcoms start out sorta grounded and end with the characters as cartoons, but sunny started off with the characters being cartoons, so the ramp up has seemed somewhat natural, as it's not the characters being slowly diluted, they're just becoming more unhinged (as demonstrated by the I'M A FIVE STAR MAN!!! bit)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
But, they aren't even close to the most absurd people you could ever meet in the first season. Which undermines your entire point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

But, they aren't even close to the most absurd people you could ever meet in the first season. Which undermines your entire point.

In the very first episode, "The Gang Gets Racist", Mac Charlie and Dennis befriend and hire a black guy so that Paddy's will get more black customers. Then they find out he's gay and Paddy's becomes a popular gay bar, and Dennis gets drunk and hooks up with a dude. Lets just say the gang doesn't handle these issues of race and sexuality with the maturity you'd expect from grown adults.

In the second episode Mac and Dennis go to abortion rallies and try to pick up women by pretending to be for/against abortion.

Things were pretty absurd right from the get-go.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

Lets just say the gang doesn't handle these issues of race and sexuality with the maturity you'd expect from grown adults.

Grown adults in this country are fire bombing mosques, voting for Trump, and trying to get gays put into special schools for re-education. And I'm talking to you on an Internet site where we make holocaust jokes for fun. I think you're dramatically overestimating how stable the average adult is. What makes The Gang look so absurd is condensing this kind of poo poo down to 20 minute chunks instead of stretching it out over a 24 hour news cycle.

And if you don't think there are people who actually try running the D.E.N.N.I.S. system- or some variant- out there, then I want to move to your magic fantasy world where bad stuff only happens on television.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Basebf555 posted:

Things were pretty absurd right from the get-go.

Maybe things like this are absurd in your life but... :smug:

I think it is more about how they don't have 25 episodes a season so ideas don't run out and get stale. I think they have only had like 120 something episodes in 11 seasons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Grown adults in this country are fire bombing mosques, voting for Trump, and trying to get gays put into special schools for re-education. And I'm talking to you on an Internet site where we make holocaust jokes for fun. I think you're dramatically overestimating how stable the average adult is. What makes The Gang look so absurd is condensing this kind of poo poo down to 20 minute chunks instead of stretching it out over a 24 hour news cycle.

And if you don't think there are people who actually try running the D.E.N.N.I.S. system- or some variant- out there, then I want to move to your magic fantasy world where bad stuff only happens on television.

Of course its all rooted in the real world, none of it would be funny otherwise. But, as you say, condensing it down to 20 minutes is what makes them absurd cartoon characters. We don't ever get to see all the dimensions of these people like you do in real life, or in a more grounded show, hence the cartoon characters comparison.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Chichevache posted:

it's not so much about absurdity as it is about characterisation, the show has definitely gotten more absurd as time goes on but that's more an outcome of the characters becoming increasingly unhinged, and the show constantly plays with this, such as the "normal" people on the show being painfully uncomfortable in the presence of the gang and in the recent episode I watched, straight up diagnosing them with untreated mental illness

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

Of course its all rooted in the real world, none of it would be funny otherwise. But, as you say, condensing it down to 20 minutes is what makes them absurd cartoon characters. We don't ever get to see all the dimensions of these people like you do in real life, or in a more grounded show, hence the cartoon characters comparison.

I still don't think these people are absurd cartoon characters, but I think you might lead a more sheltered life than you care to admit. On a daily basis I meet people who make the early seasons of the gang seem positively stable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I still don't think these people are absurd cartoon characters, but I think you might lead a more sheltered life than you care to admit. On a daily basis I meet people who make the early seasons of the gang seem positively stable.

Sounds like a great life, have fun.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

america is a craaaaaazy place!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Do you two have some kind of rivalry going on or what? What's the score?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Do you two have some kind of rivalry going on or what? What's the score?

Not that I know of

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cat doter posted:

it's not so much about absurdity as it is about characterisation, the show has definitely gotten more absurd as time goes on but that's more an outcome of the characters becoming increasingly unhinged, and the show constantly plays with this, such as the "normal" people on the show being painfully uncomfortable in the presence of the gang and in the recent episode I watched, straight up diagnosing them with untreated mental illness

Yeah, that's what makes it so good. They are playing the mentally ill. And mentally ill people happen to be real. Hence these individuals not being cartoonish, but instead being pretty decent (though relatively extreme) representations of actual human beings.

Basebf555 posted:

Sounds like a great life, have fun.

I do! I work in the psych department of a county hospital in a major metro area that's heavily afflicted by crystal meth. :ssh:

Enjoy shopping at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and occasionally getting wild by going to bed after 11 PM. :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Whoa now, that's a step over the line. poo poo on me all you want, but not Bed, Bath & Beyond.

This escalated pretty quickly huh?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If you stepped outside your comfortable little box you might meet a murder clown or two, you loving square

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

Whoa now, that's a step over the line. poo poo on me all you want, but not Bed, Bath & Beyond.

This escalated pretty quickly huh?

Yeah. I'm currently being invaded by France on crusader kings and your monkey avatar must have triggered me. drat French. :argh:

morestuff posted:

If you stepped outside your comfortable little box you might meet a murder clown or two, you loving square

Hey look, I brought it back.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I really didn't like the first season because of its South Park-esque model of having each episode be a commentary on a hot-button issue like racism or abortion. Ditching that was almost as important as bringing on Danny Devito.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Gang Beats Boggs and The Gang Group dates were both incredible. Is there a list of the best episodes in the show somewhere?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

I really didn't like the first season because of its South Park-esque model of having each episode be a commentary on a hot-button issue like racism or abortion. Ditching that was almost as important as bringing on Danny Devito.

I loved how Frank's entrance worked as a logical catalyst for their rapid descent into madness. They were all jerky weirdos, but a lack of money and ambition kept them "normal". Frank's money and desire to go nuts allowed them to become exactly the sorts of freaks they always were, and they vice versa enabled Frank's own degeneration.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, "The Gang Misses the Boat" directly addresses all of that, yeah. Dennis directly says "Have you noticed how weird we've all gotten?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The Gang Beats Boggs and The Gang Group dates were both incredible. Is there a list of the best episodes in the show somewhere?

It's not like any episodes are stinkers (except possibly Charlie and Dee Find Love), so you should just watch them all. Some personal episode recommendations would be:
The Nightman Cometh (and its precursor Sweet Dee's Dating A Retarded Person)
The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention
The Gang Gets Invincible
The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis
A Very Sunny Christmas
Paddy's Pub: The Original Home of Kitten Mittens
The Gang Gets Extreme: Home Makeover Edition
The Gang Buys A Boat (The Implication in this episode is essential to understanding who exactly Dennis is)
The D.E.N.N.I.S System