Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

I am having a really poo poo day and that picture really made me smile. :3: Give that piggie a pet from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

republicant posted:

You know, people talk a lot about how guinea pigs are prey animals, but mine is surprisingly strong when he doesn't want to be out of his cage. Not even just the initial fighting my hands to not be taken out, but trying to get past me and crawl out of my arms to return to his cage and his soft warm sleep mat at all costs. There's no way he'd ever go down without a fight.

He sleeps with his eyes open.

We have had pigs all over the spectrum with the bravery and fight/flight thing. We have some who have to be constantly hiding when they are out of their cage, but there have been 2 who won't put up with poo poo from anyone or anything. One bit our 80 lb akita on the nose when the Akita came over to sniff her, and we just had a male chase our husky off the bed the other night.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Khisanth Magus posted:

We have had pigs all over the spectrum with the bravery and fight/flight thing. We have some who have to be constantly hiding when they are out of their cage, but there have been 2 who won't put up with poo poo from anyone or anything. One bit our 80 lb akita on the nose when the Akita came over to sniff her, and we just had a male chase our husky off the bed the other night.

My 45 pound dog is terrified of my chinchillas for the same reasons. They don't take poo poo from anyone.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

republicant posted:

You know, people talk a lot about how guinea pigs are prey animals, but mine is surprisingly strong when he doesn't want to be out of his cage. Not even just the initial fighting my hands to not be taken out, but trying to get past me and crawl out of my arms to return to his cage and his soft warm sleep mat at all costs. There's no way he'd ever go down without a fight.

He sleeps with his eyes open.

My pig hates being out of her cage. She puts up with being in my hands (for a while) but if you put her on the floor she immediately runs up to the side of her cage.

Also yeh I always see my pig lying on her side with her eyes open, it freaks me out every time.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Baby hams with broccoli :kimchi:

Just like fuzzy little piranhas.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Thems some shiny pretty babies! :3: look at the wee hands!!

Turns out my new addition is both deaf and a bit bitey. Drew blood on my thumb a few days ago after sitting quite happily in my hand for ages munching on some sunflower seeds. I don't mind nibbles but I don't need tiny puncture wounds :colbert: think it might be a bit of territorial behaviour since really he's only been here a little while and I keep adding things to his cage and moving stuff so I'm just going to ignore it for now and see if he still does it when I start getting him out of the cage a bit.

Fat little bitey hamball.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Aww my gerbils are gone :-( Athena went suddenly, but proably peacfully as she was in her favorite sleeping spot. And Artemis seemed to get so depressed that she wasn't drinking. She was still eating little bits so I would feed her little bits of fruit to keep her hydrated and tried to give her as much attention as possible (the only petstore I could feasibly get to to get her a companion was out.) and she went today too. They were probably near 3 years old anyway and at the end of their lifespan anyway (found abandoned in a box so didn't know their exact age.) but blah.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I'm sorry :( At least they got to live a full life of comfort.
And shame on whomever left them abandoned in a box.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Rest in peace little gerbils. :(

I keep having to scrub either bladder sludge or boar glue out of my pig's bedding. It gets trapped between the fuzzy fibers of the bedding and is really glue-y and light-colored so it's probably the latter. Stupid gross guinea pig. (I still love him though.)

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm sorry nunsexmonkrock :( sounds like they had a good long happy life with you though which is the important thing. RIP old lady gerbils :h:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Best part about cleaning the hamster's cages: they always do this, always, without fail

Every single hamster I've ever had does this after a cleaning, they fill up their pouches completely full with as much food as possible, then walk six inches and empty it all out again

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I will never ever stop loving the hilarious sight of a ham with full cheek pouches. :kimchi:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Aww my gerbils are gone :-( Athena went suddenly, but proably peacfully as she was in her favorite sleeping spot. And Artemis seemed to get so depressed that she wasn't drinking. She was still eating little bits so I would feed her little bits of fruit to keep her hydrated and tried to give her as much attention as possible (the only petstore I could feasibly get to to get her a companion was out.) and she went today too. They were probably near 3 years old anyway and at the end of their lifespan anyway (found abandoned in a box so didn't know their exact age.) but blah.

gently caress that sucks. :(

I haven't been able to take care of Babs in a long time after I went off to grad school and my girlfriend went to Europe to study abroad. We handed her off to a friend of ours and I just got to visit her yesterday. She's fat and happy.

Dammit she keeps nibbling at my fingers when I play with her and scurrying in and out of her tunnel though.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Artificer posted:

gently caress that sucks. :(

Yeah it popped onto my memories to share on facebook yesterday too that exactly 2 years ago (yesterday) that I first put them into my giant aquarium. They had a good run in Chicago (after I took them in) and a good move to Philly with us and living for 5ish months here. I'm going to try to get a couple more soon because I grew to adore them.......plus I have a years worth of unopened Aspen and a lot of food that I just bought and a bunch of unused chew toys too. So the only cost will be basically the gerbils themselves. I think I'll try boys this time to see how different males are from females, but will take females if that's all I can get. It was so cute whenever I came near they would start jumping around because they knew they were either getting attention, toys or treats.

minema
May 31, 2011
My second hamster Newton died on Christmas day after having surgery on her eye because it swelled up. The other one had started swelling as well as her cheek so we think she must have had a tumour. :( She was only 8 months old and I wasn't expecting it at all yet. Here she is a few weeks before for the Christmas themed photos I did!

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Poor pretty baby :( I'm sorry minema, it's really poo poo when you don't even know what it was

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am so sorry minema! She was so young but it seems like you did the best you could do and that is all anyone can ask for bad genetics suck. It was definitely too soon for her :( She looks adorable in her little hat.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Happy weigh day everybody!

This little guy is most decidedly not a rodent, but his first birthday's coming up in a couple weeks and a lot of baby turtles don't make it through their first year so I'm feeling proud of him, and hoping for at least 20 more birthdays, maybe even 30.

I thought my guinea pig was way too heavy, but he's 2.57 lbs/1164 grams which seems to be on the high end of normal for a male, but not incredibly obese or anything. Everyone seems to say that losing weight is not a good thing for a guinea pig and I'm not going to deprive him, so I'll just do my best to feed him a healthy diet and we'll just go with whatever weight his body wants to be. I got him this soft covered playpen: http://www.amazon.com/TRIXIE-Pet-Products-Sided-Mobile/dp/B001BYOO2E - when it gets warm again in a couple months I'll let him graze outside and get some exercise.

republicant fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 10, 2016

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I don't think the usual guinea pig weight range numbers are super accurate or helpful. As long as your pig isn't super obese or dropping weight like crazy I wouldn't get too caught up in the exact numbers. My adult boars are ~1250 and ~1150 grams and both have a healthy body condition.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got a female pig who weighed in at 1383g about 15 minutes ago. She's not fat ok she's big boned.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I've got a female pig who weighed in at 1383g about 15 minutes ago. She's not fat ok she's big boned.

She's so shiny!! :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

She looks pretty ashamed of her weight too :ohdear:.

More pigtures please.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

More pigtures please.

They act like they haven't eaten in DAYS but really minutes before they were gorging themselves on treats while I cleaned their cavy condo. Spoiled pigs. (Also my fatty is fat but the other one is real tiny, only around 900g.)

Their lives are a daily struggle. :negative:

And some vintage pigs for good measure:

Also they are sleeping on the second floor right now but here's my pig webcam: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/6haLh56QQAL/theater Click for hot hot live pig action!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sirotan posted:

Ike and George have one of those cuddle cups. It is mostly used to get a boost so they can chew the cage bars I was mean and covered up with plexi.

Forgive the lovely cell pictures, some has "borrowed" my nice macro lens for like a year now :(

I bribed them with tiny parsley sprigs.

Chester's nose is very pink.

His one red patch :3:

Marty's nose color is split right down the middle.

He is also the most patient of my piggins.

Wigpig

I gave up trying to contain the hay and just made their second loft a hayloft. The bridge catches most of it so at least its not all over the entire cage.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Misread that as Warpig and now I am almost disappointed that isn't his name.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I think all that hair would probably get in the way of battle armor.

Also I just realized that I named a wig pig after a president who was defeated by a whig. Maybe he should have been Harrison instead (those sideburns though).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I think all that hair would probably get in the way of battle armor.

Also I just realized that I named a wig pig after a president who was defeated by a whig. Maybe he should have been Harrison instead (those sideburns though).

It's not complete without the majestic piggy helm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Marty's nose color is split right down the middle.

Pleasestroke the Terminator.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.

If that cat isn't named Marc Antony, it should be :colbert:.

Pigs don't sleep so much as slump into a pile of fur :allears:.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Here's a cute lil piggy in a lil piggy bed.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Finally getting around to posting some pictures of our pigs. We adopted two pigs, Peaches and Rosie back in July from a local shelter. For a few months, my wife and I kept them in a fairly sizable cage with a divider because the two of them kind of hated each other. They'd come from the same home but had been in different cages all their lives. We decided to try and bond them, but it took at least three months to do so since they were used to their own space. Eventually we managed to do so by traumatizing them in the bathtub and then letting them have a bitch session underneath a towel. It felt really mean, but we tried to be as careful as possible to avoid them getting too cold or wet, and it did work. They became pretty good friends after that, and we kept catching them snuggling in the same pigloo. They kept pretending not to like each other, but we knew better. :3:

Eventually we wanted to get them a big C&C cage, and picked out one that was big enough for friends! There were two pigs at the same shelter who had been there since November, so now we've got four little fuzzballs to keep us company.

Here's Rosie (auburn and white), one of our original pigs, and Sugarplum (black and tan) who is the pushiest one of the bunch. She's definitely the dominant pig.

In this one you can see Peaches (black, auburn, and white) investigating my phone, with Lily (grey and white) poking her head out of the pigloo in the background.

This one's a better shot of Lily, still in her little hideout.

Here's Sugarplum hanging out on my lap being a chill pig.

Lily and Sugarplum were a bonded pair who came from the same home. They're both about two years old, whereas Peaches and Rosie are three and one respectively. It's fascinating to me how distinct each of their personalities are, and how they interact with each other, and also watching how their interactions with us have evolved. Rosie, for example, is definitely the most energetic pig of the group, and used to be impossible to hold because she wouldn't sit still. These days she'll let us pet her without scurrying away from THE HANDS, and will hang out on my lap for an hour at a time licking my hand while I pet her. Peaches, on the other hand, is all talk and will chatter her teeth if we get near her, but is a big softie once you actually have her in your lap. She once hid inside the pocket on my wife's hoodie and wanted to just live there.

Sugarplum has the softest hair of anything I've ever felt, and is extremely bossy. She redecorates the cage whenever we clean it, moving the pigloos around on her whims. She's the most skittish about us reaching in and has figured out how to camouflage herself by hiding in the black cuddle cup where she blends in until we notice her moving. I think that she's made herself the dominant pig just by the others getting tired of trying to explain poo poo to her and deciding to just let her think she's in charge.

Lily is the sweetest of the bunch. She's actually blind, and has some odd behaviors as a result where she'll throw her head around trying to smell and runs in circles whenever we put her back in the cage after a cleaning. I think she's doing that to try and figure out the space and remember important areas. We had worried about her getting around and finding the water bottles and such, but she seems perfectly capable of taking care of herself and now is comfortable enough that she headbutts the others to get out of the way so that she can get to the food and water. When we pick her up she snuggles into us and tries to nap. It's pretty much adorable.

Here they are hanging out in their new home, complete with a loft we just put in this morning that only Lily, the pig without fear, is brave enough to venture to so far.

Lager fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 17, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is a goddamn guinea pig MANSION

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How did you bond both pairs together? Group humiliation in the bath?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How did you bond both pairs together? Group humiliation in the bath?

We introduced them to each other when we set the C&C cage up, so it was neutral territory. Then we just sat back and watched to make sure they didn't have any drama bombs or anything. They seemed to just get along without any major issues, though they still get pretty crazy when one is in heat.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Spoiled pretty piggies!!! :kimchi:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I love your pigs and pig palace Lager! I'm glad I'm not the only one to succumb to more pigs syndrome. Four totally isn't a crazy amount of pigs! I'm planning on making a cage that size in the next couple of months to integrate my two pairs and I hope it goes as smoothly as your introductions (mine are boars so it will not).

Turns out I didn't lend out my macro lens I just fail at looking for things :downs:

The best thing about fancy pigs is their curly whiskers :swoon:

Piglips in general are pretty adorable though.

So curly! I had to shave the texel's bellies because they kept getting fur up their butt pouches, in a month or so I'll shave them down completely and I want to try spinning it into yarn.

Chester is so very circular.

The camera hate the teddies but they were very patient about posing (in exchange for lettuce).

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
Vincenza says not enough chinchillas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
So it looks like the babies will be going to new homes this weekend. It's sad to see them go, but it's going to be nice not having to clean up after an entire horde of hams. It has been cute though seeing the look-out bubble completely filled with sleeping hams.
Turned out however that our original count was wrong. There were nine instead of eight. Three boys and six girls, so ten hamsters total...so much food gone in such a short amount of time.

My wife and I did decide to keep one of the babies.

This one we've been calling Runty for a while and since she has always been so friendly with us, we fell in love with her and decided to keep her.

One of the boys chilling in his wooden play house.

I did have a question about bedding though. I was thinking of switching over to aspen shavings from carefresh. Is this something I can do a sudden change with, or would I have to introduce the new bedding in sections to allow them to adjust?