Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Apologies if this isn't the correct thread but I'm having a problem with Star Wars: Dark Forces 2. I just recently played through DF and loved it and figured I'd keep the train going because Jedi Outcast is one of my favorite FPS games but I've never played DF2. Anyway I'm running it in compatibility mode (Windows XP) and at 256 colors, as recommended on Steam forums. The game itself plays in 1080 but the menus and cutscenes switch to a tiny window in the corner of the screen. Googling has only resulted in people bitching at Valve/LA for selling a broken game. Surely there must be some way to make it better? There's a pretty serious delay between pressing Esc and the menu coming up or resuming the game. I was thinking I could set up a profile in my Nvidia options for the monitor to switch to a more era appropriate resolution and play full screen that way, but I wanted to see if there were any other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

BattleMaster posted:

I'm done most of the features that I think need to be done in an invasion-style mod and I just need to tweak and polish it. The only thing I'm having trouble with are handling player deaths. Because the mod is a special case of co-op, there's no spectator mode and the code does its best to inhibit becoming a spectator out of deathmatch, so I might need to put in a bunch of special exceptions in various places. My solution right now is to prevent respawn during a wave so the dead players just sit around as corpses.

The pathfinding in Quake 2 is essentially nonexistent so I'm simulating it by allowing path_corner (patrol route) chains from spawnpoints that enemies will follow until they aggro. I also greatly increased the size of path_corners but only while in invasion mode to prevent traffic jams when lots of monsters spawn.

I've changed the spawn logic so it cycles through spawnpoints in order and spawns enemies at a random radius ant a random angle around it, with clipping testing to make sure there's no overlap. I haven't seen enemies spawning inside each other and it can get pretty hectic in later waves. The number of enemies spawning per wave increases by 3 per wave, but that's subject to tweaking. Spawn probabilities of enemy groups (easy, medium, and hard enemies) can be changed by CVAR and defaults to 100%, 25%, and 5% respectively (for every enemy, it rolls in order of hard, medium, and then easy; if all of them are less than 100% then there's a chance nothing will spawn). The waves that they start appearing can be changed too, defaulting to 1, 3, and 6 respectively.

I added an entity that triggers when a specified wave starts, which can do things like open up new paths or open up armouries with better weapons. Also, since it's co-op all of the single player stuff like destroyable objects are present, which should open up possibilities for dynamic maps.

To-do:
Put in proper spectator mode and lose conditions
Allow changing in the map editor of spawnpoint radii
Allow spawnpoints to start working only after a certain number of waves (for new monster routes opening up)
Finish custom F1 status menu (shows a bunch of stats, normal scoreboard still available)
Find out if Medic enemies break the poo poo out of the game logic

Maybe:
An objective to defend?
Add expansion pack monsters
Show some stats on HUD

Finally caught up with the thread, all this sounds wonderful! It's like Qonquer for Q2. Too bad I know nothing about Q2's in-and-outs, so I could offer even a tiny help.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Lork posted:

I'm having some trouble with the Going Down map Demonology. I can't figure out how to get the skull in the bedroom. I've triggered all the others and killed everything, so I've been reduced to blindly running around humping the walls to no avail. Even watching this playthrough on Youtube doesn't make it obvious what triggers the wall to open.

The computer are map in that room acts as a hint. When you pick it up, and check your automap, it reveals some useful invisible arrows.

One arrow points to the stairwell outside and there you'll find a false wall you can use. Inside you'll find a couple of imps and the switch to release the key.

Every single person I've talked to about going down or watched play has failed to work that out. I guess it's pretty obtuse.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oblige + small maps with the highest enemy/ammo spawn rate + Guncaster or Demonsteele makes for a fun 10 minutes or so of blowing off steam, let me tell you.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

koren posted:

The computer are map in that room acts as a hint. When you pick it up, and check your automap, it reveals some useful invisible arrows.

One arrow points to the stairwell outside and there you'll find a false wall you can use. Inside you'll find a couple of imps and the switch to release the key.

Every single person I've talked to about going down or watched play has failed to work that out. I guess it's pretty obtuse.
Weird, those arrows don't show up for me. Guess I need to use a different source port or turn on textured maps or something?

Anyway, thanks for the help! I probably would've been wandering around for a very long time before I found that on my own.

Lork fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 7, 2016

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Using glboom+ for first screenshot, but it also shows up for me in my stock install of zdoom.

I think the arrows were added in a patch, so you might be running an old version? Either way, it's not intuitive.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Kins posted:

I'm playing with Oblige + DoomRLA... and realizing that Oblige is a better level designer than I am. :(

Sobering thought.

Sometimes Oblige is just evil, though. I spent half an hour trying to get out of the starting room of MAP01 because it had 4 cacos (one run had a loving cacoabyss :stonk: ), an arachnotron, some lost souls, a few pinkies, like 30 random zombies and no cover besides the doorway to the actual spawn room. Most of the health is clustered around a trap that opens up a bunch of chaingunner closets. And that's just the first room of MAP01.

e: finally finished the map. Afterwards I find out that there's an invuln in a secret in the spawn room :doh:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 7, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

I'm playing with Oblige + DoomRLA... and realizing that Oblige is a better level designer than I am. :(

Sobering thought.
Generate an OBLIGE DM map (I think it still supports them), swap in the appropriate spawners (or supply it a config which has them to begin with), and tada, new Reelism map for X3.2

It even supports 3D floors!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Does anyone here played/remember C&C Renegade?

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Humerus posted:

Apologies if this isn't the correct thread but I'm having a problem with Star Wars: Dark Forces 2. I just recently played through DF and loved it and figured I'd keep the train going because Jedi Outcast is one of my favorite FPS games but I've never played DF2. Anyway I'm running it in compatibility mode (Windows XP) and at 256 colors, as recommended on Steam forums. The game itself plays in 1080 but the menus and cutscenes switch to a tiny window in the corner of the screen. Googling has only resulted in people bitching at Valve/LA for selling a broken game. Surely there must be some way to make it better? There's a pretty serious delay between pressing Esc and the menu coming up or resuming the game. I was thinking I could set up a profile in my Nvidia options for the monitor to switch to a more era appropriate resolution and play full screen that way, but I wanted to see if there were any other options.

Unfortunately the cutscenes being in their original resolution is something that has no workaround.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

laserghost posted:

Does anyone here played/remember C&C Renegade?

Yes ir course, what is this?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

laserghost posted:

Finally caught up with the thread, all this sounds wonderful! It's like Qonquer for Q2. Too bad I know nothing about Q2's in-and-outs, so I could offer even a tiny help.

I've done a bit more work and testing. I've found out that Medics can cause waves to end early because revived monsters that are killed again will "double dip". My solution will be to alter the medic revive code so when a monster is successfully revived the number of remaining enemies increases by 1. The medics also break sometimes and will stand there repeatedly trying to revive the same monster over and over again to no avail, but I don't think it's my code that's doing it. The guys showed up so seldomly in single player that maybe I never noticed they were broken before.

I greatly increased the number of enemies that spawn per wave in a test and I ran into netcode problems. There's a maximum packet size that can be reached if the client has too many enemies on their screen at once. Part of the issue is that my test level is just a single big room; having multiple paths for the enemies to take will mitigate that a bit but I think in the end there needs to be an enemy cap per wave. Maybe every wave after the enemy cap gets hit, the probabilities for stronger monsters spawning increase including a "nightmare" enemy list that starts at 0%, so boss monsters and assholes like the The Reckoning expansion Phalanx Gladiator and eye-laser Brain begin spawning in increasing numbers.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes ir course, what is this?

:thejoke: I hope.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

BattleMaster posted:

I've done a bit more work and testing. I've found out that Medics can cause waves to end early because revived monsters that are killed again will "double dip". My solution will be to alter the medic revive code so when a monster is successfully revived the number of remaining enemies increases by 1. The medics also break sometimes and will stand there repeatedly trying to revive the same monster over and over again to no avail, but I don't think it's my code that's doing it. The guys showed up so seldomly in single player that maybe I never noticed they were broken before.

I greatly increased the number of enemies that spawn per wave in a test and I ran into netcode problems. There's a maximum packet size that can be reached if the client has too many enemies on their screen at once. Part of the issue is that my test level is just a single big room; having multiple paths for the enemies to take will mitigate that a bit but I think in the end there needs to be an enemy cap per wave. Maybe every wave after the enemy cap gets hit, the probabilities for stronger monsters spawning increase including a "nightmare" enemy list that starts at 0%, so boss monsters and assholes like the The Reckoning expansion Phalanx Gladiator and eye-laser Brain begin spawning in increasing numbers.

drat, this sounds pretty :krad:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

foozwak posted:

Unfortunately the cutscenes being in their original resolution is something that has no workaround.

:(

Thanks though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Humerus posted:

:(

Thanks though.

I should point out that the Gog release fixes these issues and makes the menus and cutscenes work in full screen. It also includes the soundtrack which was ridiculously omitted from the Steam version.

Seriously, please pick up the Gog versions if you want to experience JK in any way resembling how it was meant to be played. The Steam version is loving terrible and there was literally zero effort made beyond getting the thing to run without crashing straight to desktop.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Unless they REALLY fixed it up for the final release, this was terrible, and I love all things RE4/Mercenaries-related. (EDIT: Ok, well, after watching this video, it looks like a LOT has improved. When I played, there wasn't even an aiming reticle, which is necessary for a mod like this)

Hey man Narcissus asked a question and I answered it. I didn't say it was good :colbert:

Seriously though that's kind of s shame because I love the RE Mercenaries side games and they would probably translate well to Doom with proper maps.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Convex posted:

I should point out that the Gog release fixes these issues and makes the menus and cutscenes work in full screen. It also includes the soundtrack which was ridiculously omitted from the Steam version.

Seriously, please pick up the Gog versions if you want to experience JK in any way resembling how it was meant to be played. The Steam version is loving terrible and there was literally zero effort made beyond getting the thing to run without crashing straight to desktop.

...JK has a soundtrack?

e: they don't have Mysteries of the Sith on GOG, do they? The Steam release of that is even more broken than base JK and I get all sorts of bizarre color glitches on top of the menu/cutscene issue.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 7, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

skasion posted:

...JK has a soundtrack?

Yes, a good one!

Playing JK on Steam is equivalent to watching a leaked version of a movie without all the effects added in. You can get an unofficial fan patch on the Steam forums that adds back the music but no easy fix for the menus and FMV that I'm aware of.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Convex posted:

That's cool but also kind of lovely? If LA released that on GOG why not Steam?

Well whatever, I guess I'm buying it from GOG. Does the Steam JO work correctly? I only ever played the Gamecube version so I was looking forward to playing it with KBM.

Quick edit:

skasion posted:

...JK has a soundtrack?

e: they don't have Mysteries of the Sith on GOG, do they? The Steam release of that is even more broken than base JK and I get all sorts of bizarre color glitches on top of the menu/cutscene issue.

The GOG version includes DF2 and MoS for $6. Hell yeah.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 7, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the note of Steam versions of old Star Wars games being subpar, I believe the Steam version of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games still lack the '94 CD-ROM versions (only containing the '93-94 floppy and '98 CD versions), despite GOG getting around to adding them.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Is there ever a reason to get the Steam version of old games? Except the lazy "I don't play it if it's not on Steam" reason?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Humerus posted:

Well whatever, I guess I'm buying it from GOG. Does the Steam JO work correctly? I only ever played the Gamecube version so I was looking forward to playing it with KBM.

Quick edit:

I'm playing Jedi outcast right now through steam and it's played just fine so far.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Humerus posted:

Quick edit:

Lucasarts lost the source code and released a hacked together version on Steam. Gog actually puts an effort into getting old games working properly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

site posted:

I'm playing Jedi outcast right now through steam and it's played just fine so far.

Jedi Knight is not Jedi Outcast.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Jedi Knight is not Jedi Outcast.

He said JO, not JK.

And as far as I know Jedi Knight never came out on GameCube.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

site posted:

He said JO, not JK.

He said Jedi Outcast on Gamecube was one of his favourite games, and he is having a problem with Jedi Knight:

Humerus posted:

I'm having a problem with Star Wars: Dark Forces 2.

:v:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah my problem was with DF2:JK. I also asked if JK2:JO had any problems on modern machines. I blame the dumb naming convention for the series.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

site posted:

He said JO, not JK.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He said Jedi Outcast on Gamecube was one of his favourite games, and he is having a problem with Jedi Knight:

:v:

Humerus posted:

Yeah my problem was with DF2:JK. I also asked if JK2:JO had any problems on modern machines. I blame the dumb naming convention for the series.

Looking for some bros to help recharge my lightsaber crystals.

I hope someone gets this reference :negative:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wamdoodle posted:

drat, this sounds pretty :krad:

Thanks!

I'm approaching something that I'd feel good about releasing, albeit as I'm not a mapper it only has a crappy test map.

I created a preliminary statistics tracker. It replaces the help computer in normal single player/co-op and is accessed with F1.

I added flying monsters to the spawn list. They spawn at the same height as the spawn location while ground enemies are dropped to the floor. I removed Medics from the spawn list because I still need to figure out everything that's broken about them. In their place in the Hard monster list, I put a second Gladiator entry. I also made a Nightmare monster list with the Tank Commander, Tank Boss, and Flying Boss. The Nightmare spawn probability starts at 0% but after the monster cap is hit the probabilities of medium, hard, and nightmare monsters begins increasing. The cap, number of monsters per wave, base probabilities, and increase probabilities are all configurable.

To-do:

Still have to figure out spectator mode and lose conditions when all players are dead.
Still have to implement a monster objective entity.
It's still working off of the stock co-op targeting logic so I need to rewrite that to check all players for the best target and failing that, check if the objective is a valid target to try to destroy.

Maybe later:

Fix Medic.
Add expansion pack monsters.
Additional AI tweaks; monsters giving up if they can't see the player for a while and then resuming path to the objective?
Options for win conditions: Survival mode (no win condition), point attack (first player to a point total), Finite number of waves with a final wave including a Jorg-riding Makron?
Modify HUD to show score or other info

Edit: AAAAAAAAAAAH

The spawn probability increases and nightmare monsters definitely work

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 8, 2016

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there some trick to getting Eduke32 running in fullscreen at lower resolutions? If I set anything lower than my monitor's full resolution, it just shrinks down the game accordingly.

Oddly enough it even does if I lower my monitor's actual resolution beforehand. So if I change my monitor to 1280x720, and select the same resolution in the eduke32 menu (with "fullscreen" toggles) I still get a shrunken down game screen. Alt+Enter just toggles a Window border around the game without affecting the size.

EDIT: Got this figured out! I had to turn off the "polymer" renderer first. With the standard renderer in use, I could start the game fullscreen in 720p. Then I switched back to Polymer via the in-game options. Now if I start eDuke32 fresh, the menu options default to 720p/Polymer/fullscreen (my in-game state from the last time I quit) and the game actually launches in proper full screen.

So yay! 1080p was working, but 720p really pushes the performance into butter-smooth territory on my system. And those Ps make very little difference on these old rear end games anyway, especially since I'm not using modern texture mods or anything like that.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 8, 2016

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
me and my best bud, gullah jack, decided to give the oblige level generator a whirl with zandronum.

it was basically set in this post-industrial purgatory with an unrelenting tide of nazis and whatever else oblige threw into the mess.

the last level also basically a half-broken rendition of dead simple; we couldn't figure out how to get to the switches at all.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

newmans_owned posted:

me and my best bud, gullah jack, decided to give the oblige level generator a whirl with zandronum.

it was basically set in this post-industrial purgatory with an unrelenting tide of nazis and whatever else oblige threw into the mess.

the last level also basically a half-broken rendition of dead simple; we couldn't figure out how to get to the switches at all.
Dead Simple broke because we couldn't kill the last enemy on the map, but yeah, that Oblige episode was great. I think my favorite thing was how MAP01 spawned me in a room with multiple imps, Nazis, chaingunners, and cacodemons with no cover at all, which is more proof that Oblige hates my goddamn guts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Can't remember who it was, but someone on Twitter wrote out all of the Star Wars Knight/Forces game names for Academy.

"Star Wars Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy"

Like, what the gently caress, Lucasarts?! :psyduck:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lucasarts was not in good condition near the end.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Friend of mine is having a LAN party and I figured we'd give Doom a shot, but holy hell there's just so much goddamn content out there it's kind of overwhelming...any recommendations for multiplayer maps? Deathmatch, coop, whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SO DEMANDING posted:

Friend of mine is having a LAN party and I figured we'd give Doom a shot, but holy hell there's just so much goddamn content out there it's kind of overwhelming...any recommendations for multiplayer maps? Deathmatch, coop, whatever.

Reelism.

This is the only answer you need, fyi :colbert:

EDIT: Ok, I guess that Megaman WAD is pretty neat, too.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 8, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

If you guys are using Zandronum, STLMS15 will make you laugh until you feel a little bit sick.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SO DEMANDING posted:

Honestly? Go on the /idgames archive, go to the multiplayer category, sort by rating, and pick a random high rated one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

fishmech posted:

Honestly? Go on the /idgames archive, go to the multiplayer category, sort by rating, and pick a random high rated one.

Confusingly, there is both /levels/doom2/deathmatch/ (where pretty much everything of interest is) as well as /deathmatch/ (which is much smaller but contains a handful of interesting port-specific stuff).

Doomworld's annual Cacowards also have "Best DM"/"Best Multiplayer" awards if you want some specific recommendations (I particularly like Dynamite DM, UDMX, and the various featured 32in24 map packs out of the ones listed here).