Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

-Maintaining 'harmony' through the elimination of 'bad people'.
-Positive knowledge over authentic belief (e.g. creationism).
-Elitism.
-Transhumanism.
-Multiculturalism instead of antiracism....

And how are those things bad exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

And how are those things bad exactly?

You might like them, but the film asserts that they are bad by making them tributary or at least related to their downfall.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

George Lucas is a right wing propagandist.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really think Anakin is unknowingly using the Jedi mind trick on Padme to make her love him. That extremely awkward dialogue someone posted earlier kind of sounds like it, he says a line about her being beautiful and she repeats it to him almost "I'm beautiful because you love me". Creepy stuff. I might have the dialogue reversed though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Anakin and Padme's romance is one of the central focuses of RotS though. Funnily enough, once Anakin goes off the deep end it works alot better; Obi-Wan's 'The child is his? I'm so sorry', Anakin's wile eyed ranting on Mustafar, I just don't buy Padme flipping between worldly democratic idealist 'This is how democracy dies? etc' and the hopelessly infatuated teenage doormat in her scenes with Anakin. I maintain a competent co-writer really could have helped develop whatever it was George was exactly aiming for with Padme, as he doesn't seem to have a hand for writing romance or female characters

The PT is in may ways very good in terms of story mechanics, while often being very bad in terms of having actors saying words in a way that evokes emotions that engross the audience in that story. Of course the latter is super subjective; I can't "prove" dialogue and acting are lovely with screenshots and MS paint.

Highlighting how the story mechanics work and make sense is a neat discussion (and I'm not being sarcastic) that doesn't address the core of what many find wrong with the PT. It's much better than just repeating words to the effect of IT ALL SUX LOL over and over but it also doesn't really address the issue most reasonable people have with the prequels (as distinguished from LUCAS KILLED MY CHILDHOOD poo poo.)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phylodox posted:

This is exactly what I said. They're mawkish and overwrought, but written in such a way that we care about what happens to them. Padme and Anakin come off as stilted and artificial.

I disagree??

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

greatn posted:

I really think Anakin is unknowingly using the Jedi mind trick on Padme to make her love him. That extremely awkward dialogue someone posted earlier kind of sounds like it, he says a line about her being beautiful and she repeats it to him almost "I'm beautiful because you love me". Creepy stuff. I might have the dialogue reversed though.

From IMDB:

Anakin Skywalker: You are so... beautiful.
Padmé: It's only because I'm so in love.
Anakin Skywalker: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
Padmé: So love has blinded you?
Anakin Skywalker: [laughs] Well, that's not exactly what I meant.
Padmé: But it's probably true.

I like your theory, but again, the gist was that Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak-willed, which Padme is not. Then again, if Anakin's super powerful...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

k

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Red posted:

From IMDB:

Anakin Skywalker: You are so... beautiful.
Padmé: It's only because I'm so in love.
Anakin Skywalker: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
Padmé: So love has blinded you?
Anakin Skywalker: [laughs] Well, that's not exactly what I meant.
Padmé: But it's probably true.

I like your theory, but again, the gist was that Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak-willed, which Padme is not. Then again, if Anakin's super powerful...

Yeah, she's pretty much the only person to see through Palpatine's shenanigans from the start so she's pretty strong willed.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

greatn posted:

Yeah, she's pretty much the only person to see through Palpatine's shenanigans from the start so she's pretty strong willed.

Except for that part where he used her to get himself elected Chancellor in the first place.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

greatn posted:

Not quite true. Remember who originally called for the vote of no-confidence on Valorum, paving the way for Sheev to become chancellor? She only really cottons on in RotS when he starts rolling out the emergency powers

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Bongo Bill posted:

You might like them, but the film asserts that they are bad by making them tributary or at least related to their downfall.

How does Transhumanism and Multiculturalism contribute to the jedis downfall?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

greatn posted:

I think it might still work if you theorize she had feelings/attraction to begin with, and Anakin just used those against her. But that's the viewer connecting a lot of dots, you know?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The outsourcing of Jedi jobs to illegal Sith immigrants. It's hard to compete in a job market where one cyborg is willing to do the work of a whole Jedi temple for a fraction of the pay.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Not quite true. Remember who originally called for the vote of no-confidence on Valorum, paving the way for Sheev to become chancellor? She only really cottons on in RotS when he starts rolling out the emergency powers

True but before she calls for the vote she's skeptical, tells Palpatine Valorum has always been a good ally to Naboo, and it isn't till she's in the chamber and frustrated by his direct inaction she calls for a vote of no confidence, then when Sheev rolls in all surprised "wow it looks like they want me as Chancellor? Wow I can't believe it!" She has this look of kind of a mix of suspicion and regret on her face. It looked like she realized she was played but knew she couldn't prove it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

greatn posted:

True but before she calls for the vote she's skeptical, tells Palpatine Valorum has always been a good ally to Naboo, and it isn't till she's in the chamber and frustrated by his direct inaction she calls for a vote of no confidence, then when Sheev rolls in all surprised "wow it looks like they want me as Chancellor? Wow I can't believe it!" She has this look of kind of a mix of suspicion and regret on her face. It looked like she realized she was played but knew she couldn't prove it.

I just had a look at that scene again and it's more she's really jaded at Republic in general for being full of poo poo. When Palpatine pledges to purge the corruption in the Senate her reaction is basically 'knock yourself out, I'm gonna go reclaim our planet', she doesn't really give a poo poo about him one way or the other in that scene

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was thinking about Emo Kylo Ren and his school-shooting character. Han's like "Ben. Come home. We miss you." but fails to add "...and stand trial for your war crimes, terrorism and mass murder of innocents."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yoda believes in disconnecting yourself from the material world. "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." In his view, the dark side is what holds us back from the understanding that reality is nothing but a bunch of fleeting images. This gives him an 'ends justify the means' approach to conflict and, later, a passive tolerance for suffering. Nothing's real, so who cares?

Obiwan believes there is no such thing as truth. There is only plurality of (cultural) viewpoints, and none is necessarily better than any other. This is what allows him to ignore injustice that's right in front of him - because, you know, who is he to question how a certain culture does things?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I maintain that there's a way to make the whole "You're so beautiful" exchange work without changing a single line of dialogue, changing only the delivery and staging and tone. Make it intimate. Make it coyer and more knowing and more teasing. Have Anakin cross the room to embrace her. Softly whisper those last exchanges in each other's faces before ending with a gentle kiss...on the cheeks even, not even necessarily on the lips. [/my fanfiction]

Seriously though...every ingredient for a sexy romantic exchange is present but the direction and execution -- the goddamn execution -- leaves everything flaccid and maudlin.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yoda believes in disconnecting yourself from the material world. "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." In his view, the dark side is what holds us back from the understanding that reality is nothing but a bunch of fleeting images. This gives him an 'ends justify the means' approach to conflict and, later, a passive tolerance for suffering. Nothing's real, so who cares?

Obiwan believes there is no such thing as truth. There is only plurality of (cultural) viewpoints, and none is necessarily better than any other. This is what allows him to ignore injustice that's right in front of him - because, you know, who is he to question how a certain culture does things?

Multiculturalism is not moral relativism. Antiracism is white supremacy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jack Gladney posted:

Multiculturalism is not moral relativism. Antiracism is white supremacy.

How does that work.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jack Gladney posted:

Antiracism is white supremacy.
What the poo poo

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Antiracism is white supremacy.

Huh?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Whatever else is going on, I love that the whole thread, even SMG, just did a collective "record scratch, smash cut to dog head tilt" moment.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

kiimo posted:

"Ben. Come home. We miss you." but fails to add "...and stand trial for your war crimes, terrorism and mass murder of innocents."

Claim affluenza

e: only in the pt does star wars have boring stuff like courts of law

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

A diner is the exact kind of place where a cop would go, and Obi-Wan is clearly, in Ep II, presented as Jedi Cop.

Get out of here with your anti-diner agenda in the Star Wars thread!

BrianWilly posted:

The real question is why wouldn't there be a diner in Star Wars?

Diners should exist in Star Wars, just not in the form of a space johnny rockets, with a proprietor wearing human clothes from the 50s. Kind of like how Mos Eisley Cantina is not an Amigos at happy hour.

i dont care if george lucas loves 50s diners, he hosed up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Claim affluenza

e: only in the pt does star wars have boring stuff like courts of law

Courts of law aren't inherently boring, I've seen riveting legal dramas. The ideas in the prequels are neutral-to-good, the script is just poorly written and those ideas are not executed well and become uncompelling. The prequels were written by a self-admitted non-writer and first drafts with minor punchup went into production. This is why the films are bad - not CGI, not the poor direction of the actors, not bad ideas. You can't overcome a bad script to become a good movie.

If the diner looked exactly as it does but it had a compelling scene within it, I'd have no problem with that sequence.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 7, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface posted:

Diners should exist in Star Wars, just not in the form of a space johnny rockets, with a proprietor wearing human clothes from the 50s. Kind of like how Mos Eisley Cantina is not an Amigos at happy hour.

Dex can run his business however he wants.

feedmyleg posted:

If the diner looked exactly as it does but it had a compelling scene within it, I'd have no problem with that sequence.

The diner scene is well written. What's wrong with the writing?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Quigon literally says not to trust someone just because they're holding a laser sword, and it went right over people's heads.

This also links him to Greivous, who actually is just a dude who killed a bunch of Jedi and stole their laser swords.

Grevious runs a rehab clinic, I have no clue where you are getting these posts from.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

computer parts posted:

This is actually explicit if you read audience reactions from the 16th century.

Wasn't Juliet 12 as it was originally written or something too?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Dex can run his business however he wants.

not if i trick Jar Jar into petitioning the senate for a motion to evict

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Wasn't Juliet 12 as it was originally written or something too?

"She hath not seen the change of fourteen years'."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How does that work.

I read it as colorblind antiracism in your post. I'm really sorry. That's what I get for posting about Star Wars.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Phylodox posted:

Whatever else is going on, I love that the whole thread, even SMG, just did a collective "record scratch, smash cut to dog head tilt" moment.

It was kind of delightful.

:frogon:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jack Gladney posted:

I read it as colorblind antiracism in your post. I'm really sorry. That's what I get for posting about Star Wars.
Don't give in to hate. That leads to the Dark Side.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Don't give in to hate. That leads to the Dark Side.

Yoda sez: "Vote for Trump you must not!"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If you want to talk writing, let's talk writing:

Waitress Droid: Someone to see ya, honey! A Jedi, by the looks of him.

Lucas immediately sets up the dynamic in the diner scene by having Dex's waitress warn him that Obiwan's a cop. So, right off the bat, it's established that Obiwan visits the diner very infrequently (as the waitress doesn't recognize him), and that Dex has previously had run-ins with the law.

This is also a good bit of characterization for the waitress because, although she's obviously programmed to be a waitress, she has somehow developed a personal distrust towards Jedis over the years. She's a direct reference back to the silver butler-droid who serves drinks at the start of Episode 1:

Protocol Droid: The ambassadors are Jedi Knights, I believe.
Nemoidian: I knew it! They're here to force a settlement.

Subtly, Lucas has established that Obiwan's visit to the diner has parallels to the larger conflict between the (human) Republic and the (alien) Separatists. Those tensions color their 'personal' interactions.

The rest of the scene, however, plays out as a contrast to the waitress' initial suspicions. It would be very easy for Dex's actor, Ron Falk, to play the character as shady - pretending to be friendly in order to get out of trouble. Instead, Dex comes across as absolutely genuine in his friendship with Obiwan - which generates an implied backstory where Obiwan helped Dex out with some legal troubles, so Dex is now grateful...

This is all in a single line of dialogue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

You rang?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Your first example is not an example of Transhumanism

Obi-wan certainly believes in Multiculturalism but that belief is not what allows him to ignore injustices unless there is a more concrete example you.could give me?

What am I missing here or is your gimmick just making poo poo up?

corn in the fridge fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i read the book about the red pirate guy

it's terribly written but also made for children but i don't care, i liked that guy

movie was good i liked wondering about all the new aliens and places and Sidon Ithano is a good star wars name

• Locked thread