Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Saoshyant posted:

Out of curiosity, can't you save your Mario Maker levels offline and reupload? Otherwise that's pretty drat scary just having your work completely lost, even if it was lovely, it's one's work. I mean, no one ever deleted my livejournal.

The levels are still saved locally, they're just not available online to others. You build and save levels locally before uploading.

Once "deleted" from the online server, they're only local, and can't be uploaded again, even if edited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The only reason I believe NX will be out this year is that the release schedule right now is a barren wasteland with hardly anything on the horizon (both 3DS and Wii U), and basically nothing after a few months of 2016.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 7, 2016

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Instant Sunrise posted:

Is there a way to get the Wii U to output 5.1 audio over S/PDIF or Optical?

You can only channel the 5.1 audio from your telly to your preferred audio system, since the Wii U only outputs it through the HDMI. So the answer to your question is another question: Does your TV have a HDMI/S-PDIF/Optical output port?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Red posted:

Once "deleted" from the online server, they're only local, and can't be uploaded again, even if edited.

This is scary. It's like the Nintendo Mario gods come down and speak, and what they have to tell you is, "You are garbage." :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Red posted:

The levels are still saved locally, they're just not available online to others. You build and save levels locally before uploading.

Bugger. I mean, I understand they want to save on server space, but at least let people reupload if they feel so strongly about their content.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 7, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Saoshyant posted:

Bugger. I mean, I understand they want to save on server space, but at least let people reupload if they feel so strongly about their content.

Once you upload to Nintendo's servers, your level becomes Nintendo's property. They can delete it, use it for advertising, whatever. This is in exchange for the "service" of Nintendo hosting your levels for "free".

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Lobster posted:

This is scary. It's like the Nintendo Mario gods come down and speak, and what they have to tell you is, "You are garbage." :(

my level was a flappy bird thing where you had to fly through tubes with the mario world cape. 90% the levels i've played on 100 Mario Challenge today have been straight lines to the end with nothing in between. :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rexroom posted:

You can only channel the 5.1 audio from your telly to your preferred audio system, since the Wii U only outputs it through the HDMI. So the answer to your question is another question: Does your TV have a HDMI/S-PDIF/Optical output port?
And a third question - does your TV actually pass a 5.1 signal through that port? Some TVs have the port, but only pass a stereo signal through it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, lets make this official.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
My TV has an optical audio output, but i'm not sure if it will pass through a 5.1 signal or downconvert it to stereo.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

StabMasterArson posted:

90% the levels i've played on 100 Mario Challenge today have been straight lines to the end with nothing in between. :(

That sounds like an improvement on what was showing up 90% of the time the last time I played Mario Maker. At least those can be completed without throwing away several lives figuring out which of several doors doesn't drop you in a pit

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Meme Run 2 came out today.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

StabMasterArson posted:

90% the levels i've played on 100 Mario Challenge today have been straight lines to the end with nothing in between. :(

That's better than what I usually play, which is 90% levels called "Don't Move".

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don't think the NX will launch this year. They'll show it at E3 then again next year and release it fall 2017.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if they'll have some variant of Pascal/Artic Islands gpu tech in them. GPUs this year are supposed to be the business

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The only reason I believe NX will be out this year is that the release schedule right now is a barren wasteland with hardly anything on the horizon (both 3DS and Wii U), and basically nothing after a few months of 2016.

This happens to them every year, regardless of how their hardware is doing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This happens to them every year, regardless of how their hardware is doing.

Everybody says this, but on 3DS alone there are at least a dozen titles I'm looking forward to in the near future, at least a couple this month alone.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

quoted an old post, oops

the truth fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 8, 2016

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Somebody, try to sell amiibo Festival to me. Or don't. Just tell me if it's worth to have it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Rexroom posted:

Somebody, try to sell amiibo Festival to me. Or don't. Just tell me if it's worth to have it.

don't do it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Rexroom posted:

It's a bad board game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you have people to play with, like those amiibo and it's still $30 then go for it.

Otherwise go for Wii Party U or Mario Party 10 if you want a better party game.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

StabMasterArson posted:

my level was a flappy bird thing

Well no wonder they deleted it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rexroom posted:

it comes with isabelle and gamestop will take the game + digby back

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If AC Amiibo Game was just the desert island minigame fleshed out into a real thing it'd be totally worth it, but it's not so it isn't.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Rexroom posted:

oddium posted:

it comes with isabelle and gamestop will take the game + digby back

Oddium makes a good point. But if you want to actually try it for some reason before you do that, the Island Escape mode is good. I don't know why they put the rest of the game in though because it is as bad as having to buy the alpaca amiibos to get K. K. Slider.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mario Party 10 requires Wiimotes, which is a great way to make not want to buy that game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rexroom posted:

Buy some amiibos instead

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The actual game being garbage is a nice deterrent, too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Augus posted:

Buy some amiibos instead
At least the game is as cheap as just buying the amiibo now, if you really want Isabelle and Digby immortalized in plastic

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you have for people to pay WiiU with throw party games in the trash and play Mario Kart 8 or Smash Brothers. If it's casuals play Apples to Apples or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Morpheus posted:

Everybody says this, but on 3DS alone there are at least a dozen titles I'm looking forward to in the near future, at least a couple this month alone.

I was talking aout first-party games but yeah, the big obvious difference is that 3DS has big third-party games and Wii U doesn't.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was talking aout first-party games but yeah, the big obvious difference is that 3DS has big third-party games and Wii U doesn't.

Philosophically, why can Nintendo get third party games on its handhelds but not its consoles?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

greatn posted:

If it's casuals play Apples to Apples or something.

If you must play Wii U with casuals then Game & Wario MP is not a bad choice, especially the drawing game. Bonus points for not needing any extra controllers to play it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Lobster posted:

Philosophically, why can Nintendo get third party games on its handhelds but not its consoles?

Their consoles actually have competition, their handhelds less so. With a smaller user base and a weird hardware most third-parties decide it's not worth the bother to compete directly with Nintendo for sales to their small user base and just focus instead on their more profitable competition. It's been going on this way since the N64.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Lobster posted:

Because they've always dominated that sphere, though the market has fallen off sharply with the rise of mobile.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Lobster posted:

People buy them on handhelds, they don't on Nintendo consoles. Home consoles have to deal with stiffer competition from Microsoft and Sony consoles which are more powerful, have more users, and don't have a ton of great first-party games to soak up all the sales.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Lobster posted:

Basically, the Japanese console market is contracting but handhelds are still a healthy market and the 3DS is the clear market leader, so all the big Japanese publishers have a presence on 3DS. (Most of the big western publishers have completely migrated to smartphones but that mostly just means less shovelware.)

The other thing to remember is that many long-time publishers (both western and Japanese) are ambivalent about Nintendo for a variety of reasons, so when they're put in a situation like the one with the Wii U where it looks like an irredeemable flop, they're going to ditch it ASAP rather than be proactive about winning people back or even just establishing a niche like some devs have on Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I just sold my Xbone to get a WiiU... I think I made the correct decision.

• Locked thread