Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Just applied as DerWaffleMous.

Is being focused purely on destroyers a practical thing or is it one of those thankless jobs like playing scout in WoT was?

DDs are awesome and scouting can get you MVP every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Just applied as DerWaffleMous.

Is being focused purely on destroyers a practical thing or is it one of those thankless jobs like playing scout in WoT was?

Just to add on to what everyone else said, a good DD is pretty much the most important part of a team, barring those fights where all the BBs are dead before you can really even do anything for them.

Couple things to know about good DD play:

1. Definitely carry smoke and try not to use it all too quickly
2. Vision works on the same basic concept as WoT so things like shooting can do more harm than good
3. Getting kills is great but staying alive to the end of games as a DD almost always pays off

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 4, 2016

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Applied to join as Jack Swagger. Fully prepared to be absolutely terrible with you guys.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The most important rule for a DD is to stay the gently caress away from subs in the early game. They light you up and you are the prime target because nothing else is spotted yet.

Try to area deny enemy subs with some torps and only start actively hunting them well into the mid/late game.

e: Obviously if the sub starts to pose a serious thread to your BBs which usually hang back you can carefully engage them, since there should be enough range between you and the larger enemy ships. Still watch out for CLs.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Just to say that I love games where abstracted mechanics cause player behavior to mirror its realistic counterpart.

Lack of that is part of why I gave up on Wows very quickly.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I learned the hard way not to immediately go after subs.

Not only because you're just exposing yourself, but half the time there's at least two other assholes trying to do the same thing and creating a gigantic zone of friendly fire torpedo death.

And then there's the guys who, in the middle of said torpedo death zone, decide to stop on top of the sub contact so they can try to get another depth charge off and proceed to take three torpedos that would've hit the enemy had they just kept moving.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 4, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The best sub hunters are carriers without question because subs can barely see the planes and/or do anything about them. It's too bad the majority of carrier players are poo poo though.

I don't think I'll ever understand why the Fubuki is the tier III and the others come later. It's better armed than like everything but the Shimakaze.

EDIT: I'm getting pretty close to selling the Repulse. I just don't like it. It's not a bad boat, I just don't like it. The Ise and Nevada seem so much better at hitting things hard consistently. The Pennsylvania is basically just a bigger Nevada, and this describes them both very well.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 5, 2016

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Slots are cheap, just keep the repulse in case they do something with it later.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Laforey is comically overpowered, in the sense that it is essentially the comically overpowered M-class, but with all its flaws ironed out. I bought one.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So today was a good day, I got to clown a Dark Judge tryhard who spoke english. Dude was bitching we were running away the whole game but I was telling them to just keep going after the lovely players as they respawned and to run away from him as his crew/boat was WAY better than our destroyers.

This was the outcome:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 5, 2016

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I applied for the fleet. I bring to the table the best in german technology from 1915 :black101:

(LLJKAxeman) in case that is really needed

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 5, 2016

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
The Wyoming is super fun to play. Also, I've recently learned the value and hilarity of HE rounds. Hitting a destroyer with a salvo of it from my secondary just vaporizes it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Woohoo, Repluse got, I'll prolly join up in a few days.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

How do I use the Pensacola?

It seems like a smaller, less powerful battleship.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's main battery can catch destroyers pretty easy because of the high velocity of its shells. It can also deal decent damage to battleships too if you can get a good hit on the stacks.

Basically you shoot at everything and anything. Although preferred targets tend to be cruisers and carriers because those are easier to hit and penetrate.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah it really is a bigger version of the Atlanta, you gotta hope you don't get those poo poo, small games where you having nothing great to shoot at. That being said, if you do get a good target, you can do a solid amount of damage quick, especially with the loader ability.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'm playing a Hosho and it's not fun because the torpedoes do absolutely fuckall to enemy ships, not even enough to sink a tier 3 submarine with one squadron. Is this a pattern with all (Japanese/US/UK) carriers or is it worth spending free xp on it?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

James Garfield posted:

I'm playing a Hosho and it's not fun because the torpedoes do absolutely fuckall to enemy ships, not even enough to sink a tier 3 submarine with one squadron. Is this a pattern with all (Japanese/US/UK) carriers or is it worth spending free xp on it?

All tier 3 carriers are wet farts. Get yourself a 4 with upgraded airplanes. Independance can upgrade all the way to tier 6 torp bombers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The tier III carriers are really like a test of your enthusiasm, and you are rewarded with the tier IVs.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
At least you get 1000 free exp per day just for playing a tier 5 match!

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I actually 'liked' the T3 brit carrier but maybe that's just because I don't know better.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

How do I use the Pensacola?
You're a bigger, meaner atlanta that can keep up with DDs as well as land hits on them from halfway across the map (long range version of the main guns ftw). Even if you're bad at aiming you've also got enough AA to take a scout in a single volley or ruin a torp bomber run despite them dodging like crazy. Prioritize DDs and CLs early game, use your speed to relocate as necessary, and don't waste your shots on battleships unless there's nothing else to shoot at. If you have to shoot a battleship, aim slightly past them and go for the smokestacks. Any mods or crew that help with aiming speed and reloading speed are beneficial, particularly the commander that knocks a bunch off your reloading speed for a few seconds. It really messed up DDs trying to dodge you when your follow up shot is sooner than expected.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We just had a comedy of errors where 4 guys who didn't know about arming distances or how to depth charge were all trying to kill the last remaining enemy sub, when the guy surfaces and my DD teammate shows up and just rams him. His physics bugs out and the dead sub goes flying off twirling like a ballerina. :allears:

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Still waiting for my application to be approved. In game name is Jack Swagger.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Spotting in this game confuses me. I'm in the M-Class with with just a tad over 5.5km scouting range. More often than not my first warning of a ship being somewhere nearby on a daylight game in the open parts of the maps is some battleship popping off a salvo at me (and often materializing out of thin air at like 3km or so. No destroyers in the game, no planes in the air, no subs around (ironically the easiest ship in the game to spot seems to be the submarine). I've seen entire enemy teams suddenly materialize at 3km or so and immediately start shooting. With destroyers I'll sometimes spot them at equivalent range just as I get the spotted warning - but also very often suddenly spot them as they take potshots at me from 2.5km or so.

Either way I seem to spotting the enemy only when they spot me. Except submarines. I see subs at like 4km without fail.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
British destroyers are made to hunt subs and lack some vision on the surface.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

British destroyers are made to hunt subs and lack some vision on the surface.

I mean the German light cruiser. It's got a 5km scouting range RADAR which is about 800m further than the RADAR on US destroyers at the same tier. Throw in equipment for another 10% increase and a commander with another 500m increase and it's got around 5.5km or 6km "scouting range".

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
my bad

It really depends on how many officers you have with plus vision versus how many they have. And then camo and if you are firing or not. I don't think the camo bonus from not moving is that great.

Officers really do make the difference here.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Cruisers kind of get the shaft in the scouting game and I'm not really sure of the cause. My guess would be that most tier V and VI players have the same crew and even equipment and they all run into the same relative cap for spotting distance around 5500m (diminishing returns) and everything falls on disguise value from there. It wouldn't really surprise me to find out Cruisers have worse disguise then they probably should, this game has some areas that are a little questionable, like for instance the VI Pennsylvania is both more accurate and does 1500 more damage a minute than the Colorado that follows it, and the VII Colorado only gains like 150m in range. I did watch a M solo a VI battleship recently though by staying out of spotting distance so idk for sure.

At least know when you get to the Hipper you have very solid range and accuracy.

Do they display the disguise values of boats anywhere? That would prob explain a lot.

Also, both moving and shooting both lower the the disguise value somewhat significantly.

And someone should've told me to buy the Laforey when it was on sale. :argh:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Which are the 'best in class' of rank 3 vehicles that are actually worth keeping around?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nickiepoo posted:

Which are the 'best in class' of rank 3 vehicles that are actually worth keeping around?

Fubuki, and whatever the US BB is.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Fubuki owns. If you're going to keep around an American BB, keep the tier IV Wyoming.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

sweet christ the bad destroyer pubbies are out in force this morning.

First match, only one destroyer, he spent the whole match hiding behind the battleships during a night battle.

Second match, IllegalUsername was there. One DD again, plus two CLs. DD makes it half way across the map, stops cold for a few minutes. The CLs encounter a sub and then proceed to run to the other side of the map abandoning the BBs they were screening. The DD kinda limply fires some torpedoes before the enemy battleships light him up.

Third match, again with only one DD. This time he spends the whole match being a useless poo poo hiding behind islands. My only regret is that the enemy team killed him instead of me.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I've been enjoying this game for some days now thanks to this thread, and just applied to GOONS as Lowenar.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

he spent the whole match hiding behind the battleships

I think this is the only pubby behavior that infuriates me more than BBs that hold still. I cannot fathom why someone would play the Gotta Go Fast cool skirmishing and spotting class and then hide behind fatbotes all day.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

I think this is the only pubby behavior that infuriates me more than BBs that hold still. I cannot fathom why someone would play the Gotta Go Fast cool skirmishing and spotting class and then hide behind fatbotes all day.

One thing i'll say, though, is that DDs have no spotting advantage in night battles. Thusly, the thing to do is to just do the ninja warrior thing you can do in t3. It's never "hide behind the battleships" though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panzeh posted:

One thing i'll say, though, is that DDs have no spotting advantage in night battles. Thusly, the thing to do is to just do the ninja warrior thing you can do in t3. It's never "hide behind the battleships" though.

Yeah, a Night Battle DD should be sneaking in close to spotted ships and torpedoing the poo poo out of them. Though you still have to be careful doing that. I've had DDs get way too close to me in nightfights, get spotted, and get obliterated in one salvo because 2km is basically optimal BB-ruins-the-DD range.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Mazz posted:

Cruisers kind of get the shaft in the scouting game and I'm not really sure of the cause. My guess would be that most tier V and VI players have the same crew and even equipment and they all run into the same relative cap for spotting distance around 5500m (diminishing returns) and everything falls on disguise value from there. It wouldn't really surprise me to find out Cruisers have worse disguise then they probably should, this game has some areas that are a little questionable, like for instance the VI Pennsylvania is both more accurate and does 1500 more damage a minute than the Colorado that follows it, and the VII Colorado only gains like 150m in range. I did watch a M solo a VI battleship recently though by staying out of spotting distance so idk for sure.

At least know when you get to the Hipper you have very solid range and accuracy.

Do they display the disguise values of boats anywhere? That would prob explain a lot.

Also, both moving and shooting both lower the the disguise value somewhat significantly.

And someone should've told me to buy the Laforey when it was on sale. :argh:

I can't find the disguise value, but your theories do fit what I've seen, especially at the higher tiers. DD's (especially the Laforey) can spot and remain un-seen pretty well, but CL/CA can't pull it off for poo poo. I do shove the radar mast on every ship, and the communication leader (450m range) so I'm usually in the 4.5-5k range minimum on every ship minus subs, but only destroyers seem to be able to scout and not be instantly seen. Cruisers seem to be pretty odd ducks at the higher tiers because they are weaker against subs, not nearly as good scouts, but their guns can't really hurt BB's (which are everywhere). Subs fit the role of secondary scouts much better, and are much more fun at t4/t5 than the lower tiers, since you can stay under longer and are generally faster.

The Myoko seems to be pretty decent against t5 BB's (and in general), in terms of CA's, but the Pensacola is a very odd ship to play and while fun in larger t5 matches it's frustrating in t6/5 matches, because even played well you can expend all your ammo easily trying to kill BBs. I'm hoping the t6 US CA has a bit more oomph especially given how BB heavy the higher tiers feel. I had a night battle and ran out of main ammo killing off BB's since my team was so lovely, and even though I could maneuver around in the darkness and stay alive for a stupidly long time while firing, I couldn't solo the last BB (and sub) with only secondaries.

CV-wise, I got in to a Wasp recently and bought the torp bomber upgrade with global exp, but in my last match still took 10 torp hits to drop a Pennsylvania, which was pretty ridiculous (was a 3v3 match, I won by cap after taking out the BB/CA) and frustrating as gently caress. He must've had some bulge commanders and items or something. On any CV buying the torp upgrade is basically necessary to remain sane, as your damage output is both limited by your flight deck reload time and how many bombers you can fly in a flight (and of course damage they do). Unless you are in a match with many subs, in which case gently caress them up at your first chance since they generally can't dodge as easily and have way fewer HP/armor. Also your BB friends will thank you. In t3/t4 I used to focus on killing off enemy BB/CV's with my first attack wave, but at higher tiers it's way more useful to hit subs and cruisers first, since cruisers are decent against your DD's and subs are good scouts.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Lowen posted:

I've been enjoying this game for some days now thanks to this thread, and just applied to GOONS as Lowenar.

I accepted you and Jack and cleared the rest of the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I just reached Peak Ferragut by sinking every enemy ship...

... and a member of my own team.

• Locked thread