Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The best thing about Dex's Diner is the music playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpecPKuUYnE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Cnut the Great posted:

Scene is now justified.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

It's like David Lynch reinterpreted the Seinfeld theme.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why is it so important for others to force their love of a film on them? Curious.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Why is it so important for others to force their love of a film on them? Curious.

Not even love. Interpretation.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I don't love the PT in fact I rather hate it, as entertainment, doesn't mean they aren't interesting films, important to the starwars as a whole, or a fascinating peek into George Lucas's mind.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm just so tired of these prequels, man.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Raxivace posted:

It's like David Lynch reinterpreted the Seinfeld theme.

:lol:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The best way to experience the prequels is probably through the source screenplays. I'm reading through the RotS one right now and there is a bunch of interesting, edifying stuff in there.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

BrianWilly posted:

The best way to experience the prequels is probably through the source screenplays. I'm reading through the RotS one right now and there is a bunch of interesting, edifying stuff in there.

Do tell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here another cool duel from Clone Wars for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJiphrbLyg

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

There was, what, a week of analysis of TFA before people got bored and moved on? The Prequels will live forever.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Well i mean, it's not important to me but this is Cinema Discussion, and although everyone will never agree you can't argue that SMG and Cnut make posts that are, if nothing else, interesting to talk about

KaptainKrunk posted:

There was, what, a week of analysis of TFA before people got bored and moved on? The Prequels will live forever.

If nothing else I think that shows that although I think TFA is good and really fun and I can't wait to see 8, 9 and all of the other side movies, it's less interesting than the prequels.

Plus anything is better than a couple pages of everyone trying to explain how a thing that looks and acts like a death star and actually literally is a star isn't a death star

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 8, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

KaptainKrunk posted:

Only until The Force Awakens comes out on blu-ray so people can take screen captures to draw lines all over.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffles Inc. posted:

Well i mean, it's not important to me but this is Cinema Discussion, and although everyone will never agree you can't argue that SMG and Cnut make posts that are, if nothing else, interesting to talk about

I wish Cnut would talk about the OT more. He could bring out some dope discussion on the visuals. But alas...the prequels. The prequels! The horror!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

Yeah as mentioned when the blu ray comes out in April? we should get a lot of more talk.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

CineD is a gun-free zone, and so there's no way for someone to force you to admit to liking a movie.

Phylodox posted:

Only until The Force Awakens comes out on blu-ray so people can take screen captures to draw lines all over.
No joke, I eagerly await this moment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok TFA chat

There was a memorable shot during the ... final duel... which is in a forest at night with snow falling. This instantly reminded me of the end of Kill Bill in O-Ren Ishii's garden.

Is this and the QT shot referring to something from older movies?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Ok TFA chat

There was a memorable shot during the ... final duel... which is in a forest at night with snow falling. This instantly reminded me of the end of Kill Bill in O-Ren Ishii's garden.

Yea Lady Snowblood. Its on Hulu right now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Yeah as mentioned when the blu ray comes out in April? we should get a lot of more talk.

I think the prequels will always dominate conversation here, though. Due less to their quality than to their...controversial nature.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
So, after looking at just the first line of the Dex's Diner scene, let's look at how Abrams, Kasdan and Arndt introduce us to Maz and her castle(?):

Finn: Solo, why are we here again?

Oh, well, gently caress.

Maybe the next seven lines will clarify things?

Finn: Solo, why are we here again?
Han: To get your droid on a clean ship.
Rey: Clean?
Han: Do you think it was luck that Chewie and I found the Falcon? If we can find it on our scanners, the First Order's not far behind. Want to get BB-8 to the Resistance? Maz Kanata is our best bet.
Finn: We can trust her, right?
Han: Relax, kid. She's run this watering hole for a thousand years. Maz is a bit of an acquired taste, so let me do the talking. And whatever you do, don't stare.
Rey & Finn: At what?
Han: Any of it.

This is fuckin' inelegant writing. Finn needs to play the fool in order for Han to deliver a bunch of exposition that doesn't even come into play later (the First Order can easily track the Falcon - which is later flown directly to the Resistance base? And then used for a stealth mission against the First Order??). The only information conveyed is that Maz is weird and helps smugglers, and this is information that should arise organically from the actual interactions with Maz and her guests. Show don't tell.

corn in the fridge posted:

Your first example is not an example of Transhumanism

Obi-wan certainly believes in Multiculturalism but that belief is not what allows him to ignore injustices unless there is a more concrete example you.could give me?

"The critical point of planetary Reflection, the fruit of socialization, far from being a mere spark in the darkness, represents our passage, by Translation or dematerialization, to another sphere of the Universe: not an ending of the ultra-human but its accession to some sort of trans-humanity at the ultimate heart of things."
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, coiner of the term 'transhumanism'.

Yoda seeks to achieve this goal through the use of his midichlorian-enhancements. He changes over the course of the series, but does not waver from this ultimate goal.

Obiwan's attitude of multicultural tolerance leads him to wage war against 'intolerable' terrorist outsiders who 'hate our freedom'. This is the source of the entire Clone War.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 8, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TFA is what egged me on to doing my complete rewatch and made me appreciate Staw Wars all over again, so even though I think the film itself was a little hollow and designed by commitee, I'm really appreciate it getting me to engage with the franchise again

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

KaptainKrunk posted:

1) People defend the prequels here which is pretty novel
2) 1 movie =/= 3 movies
3) There's multiple threads for this movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There is one thread now. And YOU'RE IN IT!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Lady Snowblood. Its on Hulu right now.

Yeah looking at GIS that appears to be it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is fuckin' inelegant writing. Finn needs to play the fool in order for Han to deliver a bunch of exposition that doesn't even come into play later (the First Order can easily track the Falcon - which is later flown directly to the Resistance base? And then used for a stealth mission against the First Order??). The only information conveyed is that Maz is weird and helps smugglers, and this is information that should arise organically from the actual interactions with Maz and her guests. Show don't tell.

This is a fairly good point; after the FO showed up on Takodana did Han and company figure "gently caress it, they can know the falcon's location"? They didn't know about the Starkiller yet so they probably didn't just assume.

Or was it just a replay of "I can't get to you, I'll get her out on the Falcon"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CelticPredator posted:

There is one thread now. And YOU'RE IN IT!

I'm pretty sure I'm in a thread about diners.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
TFA haters have a great point, which is why we should consider TPM without either of its other two parts.

that kid sure can, race pods.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

turtlecrunch posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm in a thread about diners.

Sayyyyy whaaattaaayaaaa knowww! It's one of dem KANEEEEMOOO dartssss.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ooobi! My caaaauzin! Lets go play space chassss!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hayyyy, Sleeeezebaggo found a stray hair in his steeewwww! I believe, you're firrrrreeeeeed!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oooonta booonta soloooooo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

TFA is what egged me on to doing my complete rewatch and made me appreciate Staw Wars all over again, so even though I think the film itself was a little hollow and designed by commitee, I'm really appreciate it getting me to engage with the franchise again

The one thing that really frustrates me about it is how fast it moves and that there are touches of a slower draft left in the frenzy of the final film. Adam Driver uses the force to figure out that Daisy Ridley sees Han Solo as a father figure and gets mad because Han Solo was a failure of a father to him, but the only bonding she and Han Solo do is some engineering and piloting, and she doesn't really learn anything from him. And Adam Driver is mad at Han Solo in the rest of the movie not because was a lovely father, but because Adam Driver loves the dark side.

There's a slightly slower movie in there with like 17 minutes more of quiet scenes between the characters, and I kind of want to see that one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jack Gladney posted:

The one thing that really frustrates me about it is how fast it moves and that there are touches of a slower draft left in the frenzy of the final film. Adam Driver uses the force to figure out that Daisy Ridley sees Han Solo as a father figure and gets mad because Han Solo was a failure of a father to him, but the only bonding she and Han Solo do is some engineering and piloting, and she doesn't really learn anything from him. And Adam Driver is mad at Han Solo in the rest of the movie not because was a lovely father, but because Adam Driver loves the dark side.

There's a slightly slower movie in there with like 17 minutes more of quiet scenes between the characters, and I kind of want to see that one.

Don't forget Han's 'job offer'. Its clear that the two bond quickly, and Rey already knew about Han (and not as a rebellion general, but as a famous smuggler [a career that Han says was "the only thing he was ever good at"]) Even if its only a short relationship, they're clearing setting Han up as a mentor, while also showing that Rey has some new tricks she can teach the older man.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
http://www.starwars.com/news/meet-fn-2199-a-k-a-tr-8r-the-stormtrooper-behind-the-meme
http://www.starwars.com/databank/first-order-riot-control-stormtroopers

They've decided TR-8R is some random dude from one of the new books.

He's a "riot control" trooper. :eyepop:

Voiced by one of the sound editors. :allears:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

euphronius posted:

Ok TFA chat

I got the feeling that JJ was sorta going for the same "lifting clichés from old Japanese flicks" thing Lucas did when he was making ANH. The blood-on-the-snow-in-the-final-swordfight-showdown thing is all that immediately comes to mind though

e: man, imagine if he'd actually got Toshiro Mifune to play Obi-Wan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

He's a "riot control" trooper. :eyepop:

What did you think the taser-like baton and shield were for?

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It is also characterization for Han, I think. It reflects on his relationships with the new kids and his old friends. Putting aside the tactical realism, it shows that Han is trying to avoid taking responsibility. His initial reaction to them is to ditch them on the nearest habitable planet, after all.

I think they realized that it doesn't matter because the First Order found them on Takodana anyway and was then momentarily defeated (minus Rey being captured of course.)
They also enter the planet's shields at lightspeed for the stealth mission, and make note that they are staying low so as not to be seen, so the tracking is irrelevant there too.

Also "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" is the essence of Star Wars Christian Buddhism, and is unambiguously good, or intended to be good by Lucas. Prequel Yoda may be a hypocrite and untrue to this thing that he would later say, but that doesn't make it untrue in itself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Soggy Cereal posted:

It is also characterization for Han, I think. It reflects on his relationships with the new kids and his old friends. Putting aside the tactical realism, it shows that Han is trying to avoid taking responsibility. His initial reaction to them is to ditch them on the nearest habitable planet, after all.

Yeah, Han wants Rey, Finn, and BB-8 to get to where they want to go, but even beyond the idea that the Falcon might be tracked, he explicitly states "Leia doesn't want to see me". Which is his way of communicating that he doesn't want to see Leia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The power struggle between Palpatine and the Jedi Order seems much more magnified and, ah, palpable. Much of the entire first half is "taken up" by the Order and Palpatine's tennis-court back-and-forth about how much power the other should be allowed to have, with Anakin (and Obi-Wan, even) caught in the middle, that for various reasons seems much muted in the film itself. There are senator meetings with Padme that "drive home" the threat of Palaptine gaining so much power so quickly instead of just having the Jedi whine about it...like, the threat is still there in the finished film, but there are these mass chunks of lines missing, cut out right from the middle of conversations. If certain parts of the film feels like people begin and end conversations a bit too suddenly, well, it's because they do.

quote:

PALPATINE: Anakin, this afternoon the Senate is going to call on me to take direct control of the Jedi Council.
ANAKIN: The Jedi will no longer report to the Senate?
PALPATINE: They will report to me . . . personally. The Senate is too unfocused to conduct a war. This will bring a quick end to things.
ANAKIN: I agree, but the Jedi Council may not see it that way.
PALPATINE: There are times when we must all endure adjustments to the constitution in the name of security.
ANAKIN: With all due respect, sir, the Council is in no mood for more constitutional amendments.
PALPATINE: Thank you, my friend, but in this case I have no choice . . . this war must be won.
ANAKIN: Everyone will agree on that.

quote:

OBI-WAN: Anakin, regardless of how it happened, you find yourself in a delicate situation.
ANAKIN: You mean divided loyalties.
OBI-WAN: I warned you there was tension between the Council and the Chancellor. I was very clear. Why didn't you listen? You walked right into it.
ANAKIN: The Council is upset I'm the youngest to ever serve.
OBI-WAN: No, it is not. Anakin, I worry when you speak of jealousy and pride. Those are not Jedi thoughts. They're dangerous, dark thoughts.
I certainly can't say for certain whether including these sorts of lines would have improved the film -- pacing is a legit concern, obviously -- but they're interesting lines. I will say that the one "intrigue" scene that was left largely untouched was the opera house scene between Palpatine and Anakin, and there may be a reason why that comes across as one of the strongest scenes of the film.

And of course there's a whole subplot about Anakin suspecting that Padme cheated on him with Obi-Wan. It makes Anakin come across a bit worse, but it does make his anger at them in the climax scene a bit more organic instead of seeming so out-of-the-blue.

• Locked thread