Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

You can get all the danger and excitement of being a low ranking Starfleet officer by staying home and playing solitaire on a monitor that will explode and lodge itself in your brain if you lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cheerfullydrab posted:

Think how little Picard addresses the whole ship to tell people what's going on. Working the majority of jobs on the Enterprise must be this terrifying experience where you never know if you're going to have something unimaginably horrifying happen to you or your loved ones at any second. Think of the frantic rumors spreading up and down when there's Klingons on the starboard bow. Wait staff at Ten Forward probably shake all the time and have terrible PTSD from constantly wondering if they're going to get exploded. It's the uncertainty of things that really gets you.

It's funny because there are decent numbers of literal school children who experience their ship regularly rocking under enemy fire, losing power, fires, all kinds of poo poo, all happening out of the blue and with no explanation of what is going on. And every couple of encounters one their classmate's mom or dad is never heard from again. Little shits are probably traumatized as gently caress.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
One thing that Star Trek '09 got legitimately right over other Treks: Chekov on the comm explaining the situation to the entire crew on their way to Vulcan.

If you're living with your family on the Enterprise in TNG, you might as well be living in London during the blitz.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

cheerfullydrab posted:

Think how little Picard addresses the whole ship to tell people what's going on. Working the majority of jobs on the Enterprise must be this terrifying experience where you never know if you're going to have something unimaginably horrifying happen to you or your loved ones at any second. Think of the frantic rumors spreading up and down when there's Klingons on the starboard bow. Wait staff at Ten Forward probably shake all the time and have terrible PTSD from constantly wondering if they're going to get exploded. It's the uncertainty of things that really gets you.

In the opening episode, he was like "You're entitled to know that we're going to be going warp 9 and that's dangerous". "You're entitled to know that I'm about to put your lives at risk, good day".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shab posted:

One thing that Star Trek '09 got legitimately right over other Treks: Chekov on the comm explaining the situation to the entire crew on their way to Vulcan.

If you're living with your family on the Enterprise in TNG, you might as well be living in London during the blitz.

At least Londoners during the Blitz had the BBC, most people on the Enterprise don't have any source of information other than looking out a window. "Oh no, the ship is shaking and my sonic shower is emitting toxic gas and my replicator exploded, better run to the window and see if I can see anything! Ooh, I hope it's Nagilum again!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

cheerfullydrab posted:

Or its the opposite, and this theory explains tricorders and lovely LCARS screens.
Everyone in Starfleet has contact lense Oculus Rift's, that is streaming data to them the whole time.
When they look at tricorders they are seeing charts and poo poo hover above it.
Just everyone has them that it needs never to be mentioned ever.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

Or its the opposite, and this theory explains tricorders and lovely LCARS screens.
Everyone in Starfleet has contact lense Oculus Rift's, that is streaming data to them the whole time.
When they look at tricorders they are seeing charts and poo poo hover above it.
Just everyone has them that it needs never to be mentioned ever.

Maybe all the billions of coddled federation babies that pursue their ~~destiny~~ to be journalists but can't all be writing The Earth Times end up on all the star ships giving constant 24/7 rolling news updates on everything

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

Man, that would have made a great episode. Just a POV thing shot from some random mustardshirt while all this (from the audience's perspective) unconnected and inexplicable poo poo happens around you

e: it turns out that nobody is traumatized because in the future they have proper health care and people aren't huge bitches anymore

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
remember how the federation sent a probable tens of thousands of civilians to their completely unnecessary deaths at wolf 359 cause nobody ever bothered to separate the saucer section before combat after, like, the first episode

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheerfullydrab posted:

At least once a week your quarters shake like an earthquake and some sirens start blaring but then everything's OK. Usually. But there's a decent chance that you'll eventually get zapped by a marauding borg that just teleported into the hallway, or a spatial anomaly will melt you into the floor or something. But probably everything will be fine. And you'll never even known about half the horrifically dangerous stuff that could have killed you because they only bother to tell the senior officers.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think they found that saucer sections where a huge boon to a combat ship as the enemy would invariable target the life-sign rich area which is strategically positioned directly between enemy weapons and sensitive federation ship engine and weapon systems.

Have you any idea how well an armoire stuffed with replicated children's toys and mementos absorbs disruptor fire?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ambrose Burnside posted:

remember how the federation sent a probable tens of thousands of civilians to their completely unnecessary deaths at wolf 359 cause nobody ever bothered to separate the saucer section before combat after, like, the first episode

I think that was mainly because either half the ship looks so loving dumb on its own.

And they were stuck with Rodenberry's idea that families and civilians would be on these big heavily-armed but-totally-not-actually-a-warship ships because who knows why.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Or how about setting up the 4-5 transporters rooms with multiple transporter pads to move all kids and families into the loving escape pods before the loving battle.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DarkMalfunction posted:

I was always surprised the Federation never really utilised combat drones of some variety.

If you pick at any space opera setting long enough, it'll fall apart pretty quickly.

Any "actual" starship combat would be pretty boring to depict in a TV series. It would basically be radar (or subspace sensors or w/e) blips on a screen, the shooting and movement would take place at speeds far too fast for a human to deal with directly i.e. you'd never have a need to show a person pressing a button to fire phasers or whatever.

Any war would basically just be huge swarms of drones being mass-produced at a factory and sent off to die en masse against the enemy's swarm of drones. There'd be no need to have people involved in the battle, unless you really felt like you needed to have a couple nearby to update the drones with new objectives as the war unfolded.

Space opera is very big on presenting visually dramatic metaphors. Star Wars came out in 1977, long after the introduction of air-to-air missiles, but the starfighter combat is all still very WW2-style dogfighting with guns. The Star Trek episode Balance of Terror came out in 1966, long after submarines no longer needed to surface to attack or to recharge their batteries, but the confrontation with the Romulan bird of prey is still very WW2-style destroyer vs. submarine combat. Both of these examples were anachronistic when they came out, and the producers knew it. Producing those sequences in those fashions was a deliberate decision.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lord of Pie posted:

You can get all the danger and excitement of being a low ranking Starfleet officer by staying home and playing solitaire on a monitor that will explode and lodge itself in your brain if you lose

Star Trek is the alternate timeline where fuses were never invented.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Do you think they still organize kid events when they go into Battle?
Like they are traveling towards the Borg eta 12 hours, and that's slap bang in the middle of 6th grade's recital of a Vulcan kid's play.
Picard/Riker/Data know they will be 95% dead in 30 mins time but they are right now stuck grinning at Ensign Girkle's son murder the bassoon.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I always imagine it's like those 1950s American PSAs on surviving a nuclear attack. Where they told everyone to remain calm and hide under their desks and they will be fine. Not because they believed this, but because they realised by the time panic sets in they are probably all dead anyway.

"That sound Jimmy, is called the Red Alert siren, did you know that? "

" Sure thing mister! It means bad things are about to happen! "

"Woah there Jimmy! Don't get ahead of yourself! Did you know 99.9% of red alerts end in no casualties? I'm sure your captain had everything under control. Just in case though make sure you stop what you're doing, and hide beneath your desk."

"But what good will that do mister? "

" Well Jimmy, Klingon famously have sight almost entirely based on movement. If you hide beneath your desk, you will be invisible to them! "

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Or maybe there's a scene like from the Star Wars prequels where a Klingon Warrior walks into a nursery and all the children stop performing advanced physics calculations and say "Hi mister, aren't you a Klingon?" and then he slaughters them all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

happyhippy posted:

Do you think they still organize kid events when they go into Battle?
Like they are traveling towards the Borg eta 12 hours, and that's slap bang in the middle of 6th grade's recital of a Vulcan kid's play.
Picard/Riker/Data know they will be 95% dead in 30 mins time but they are right now stuck grinning at Ensign Girkle's son murder the bassoon.

Of course they do, the inhuman assholes. Also they don't tell anyone else in the audience what's going on, and the audience knows it. Ensign Girkle isn't watching his son murder the bassoon, he's looking at Riker's grinning face, thinking, "We're still going on that routine mission to Starbase 173, right?? You'd tell me if we'd been diverted and were going into some terrible danger, wouldn't you? No, you wouldn't. You never do. I hope my son is still alive at the end of today." while his hands are clenched into fists and his body is tensed and he's sweating. Everyone on the crew is in that state all the time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ikanreed posted:

I've always wondered why star fleet doesn't have fraternization rules. They're not military, but they still have a drat chain of command and conflict of interest.

Agreed on the fraternization thing, but I'd love to hear the explanation of why Starfleet isn't military. :allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Powered Descent posted:

Agreed on the fraternization thing, but I'd love to hear the explanation of why Starfleet isn't military. :allears:

Something something Rodenberry Utopia

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

ikanreed posted:

Then start loving some ensigns.

I've always wondered why star fleet doesn't have fraternization rules. They're not military, but they still have a drat chain of command and conflict of interest.

There's an episode about that where Picard gets a new chief of astrosciences bs and falls for her, then has a bunch of issues resulting from that, then has to send her into harm's way and realizes it's not a good idea so he kicks her off the ship.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

my theory is on red alert every civilian area gets stasis fielded so they'd just like lose an hour, then the diurnal lighting continues from pre-alert so they'd never know, Clues-style

thats why they do star dates, to hide all the missing time and blame it on time dilation

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

My Q-Face posted:

Massive dicks that all women lust after, according to Roddenberry's one page treatment of the species, over a third of which is dedicated to their sexual prowess.

What no links?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

quote:

One influence on the Ferengi was what Herb Wright described as Gene Roddenberry's "sex fetish." In early first season discussions between them about developing the Ferengi, Roddenberry let Wright know it was his intention to make the species well-endowed. "He wanted to put a gigantic codpiece on the Ferengi," Wright stated. "He spent 25 minutes explaining to me all the sexual positions the Ferengi could go through. I finally said, 'Gene, this is a family show, on at 7:00 on Saturdays. He finally said, 'Okay, you're right.'"

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ferengi#Origins

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

And DS9 wins again because when they blew up a Galaxy, they made a point to bring up off-loading the civilians before going into a fight.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

...and second, the actress playing Ezri trying to act like a badass was the most embarrassing thing on the whole show. Getting your rear end kicked by her is like getting your rear end kicked by Justin Beiber trying to impersonate a Chipmunk. That actress was really, really bad all the time though: She consistently came off as "I bet this is a nice person who has no idea what the gently caress is going on in this sci-fi show and is confused as all hell."

She never stopped pouting. God, it was like if Whedon wrote a character for the show. Just awful.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm watching that episode where Kira starts dating the prime minister guy and Odo is a freaking stalker.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm watching that episode where Kira starts dating the prime minister guy and Odo is a freaking stalker.

Ugh, that is probably my least favorite DS9 episode. Almost nothing at all happens aside from Odo being a mopey sadsack friendzone forever-alone dweeb the entire goddamn show.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
My favorite thing is where Odo is disguised as a space tea kettle and catches people up to no good. I wish they could have worked that into more than once every episode.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Clark Nova posted:

Ugh, that is probably my least favorite DS9 episode. Almost nothing at all happens aside from Odo being a mopey sadsack friendzone forever-alone dweeb the entire goddamn show.

My favorite part is where he waits outside her place while she fucks the prime minister then when she invites him in he starts fiddling with an empty wine glass.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 8, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Think of Starfleet as the NOAA commissioned corps writ large.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
NOAA and all of their warfighting abilities

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

NOAA and all of their warfighting abilities

I thought the only real warship was the defiant?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kitchner posted:

I always imagine it's like those 1950s American PSAs on surviving a nuclear attack. Where they told everyone to remain calm and hide under their desks and they will be fine. Not because they believed this, but because they realised by the time panic sets in they are probably all dead anyway.

Duck and cover was basically to keep you from running to the window and getting shredded when the blast wave hits the glass. It would probably be similarly useful in Star Trek because it would keep the kids away from those loving exploding computers.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Duck and cover was basically to keep you from running to the window and getting shredded when the blast wave hits the glass. It would probably be similarly useful in Star Trek because it would keep the kids away from those loving exploding computers.

Or away from windows which aren't even windows at all but forcefields as shown in First Contact. What happens when the ship is reduced to nothing but life support?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shab posted:

Or away from windows which aren't even windows at all but forcefields as shown in First Contact. What happens when the ship is reduced to nothing but life support?

That was only on a hatch that Picard had opened and is normally shut. Windows are transparent aluminium.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

drilldo squirt posted:

I thought the only real warship was the defiant?

I mean its the only one deliberately designed strictly for combat, but they sure as poo poo use the other ones as combat vessels.

A toyota truck is not a combat vehicle inherently, but when when you put a DShK in the bed, its sure as poo poo a military combatant

edit: thats a terrible analogy, but NOAA doesn't exactly drive ships around with point defense systems, cruise missiles and poo poo

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 8, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I mean its the only one deliberately designed strictly for combat, but they sure as poo poo use the other ones as combat vessels.

A toyota truck is not a combat vehicle inherently, but when when you put a DShK in the bed, its sure as poo poo a military combatant

Well what else are they going to use? I mean space is pretty dangerous as it is, sending them out unarmed seems foolish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Right, but they're absolutely military. I mean we could call the US Navy the Oceanic Survey and Exploration Committee and Super Friendship Club but it is not fooling anyone.

It is a government sponsored exploration arm that is also used as its primary warfighting force. I don't want to argue semantics over a scifi show but seriously IDK how you could not consider it military

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 8, 2016

• Locked thread