Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_leY_LgOuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rocks posted:

so.... why did Trump book a venue in Burlington? Is it just for fun or what?

Vermont is one of the Super Tuesday states and it's about a 45 minute plane ride from NYC.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Rocks posted:

According to MSNBC go up to Bernie's backyard and show he's a crossover candidate

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oystertoadfish posted:

i was thinking that the secret ballot takes a lot of the fun out of the voting process for people like the ones in the theater and also the ones outside - all of them protesting or participating publicly with a bunch of like-minded people

an echo chamber, if you will

and if people don't get this social element when they vote, could that be a reason they wouldn't? both the trump people in the theater and the bernie people outside it

i googled (and you can too) and it seems like turnout dropped a lot when the secret ballot was introduced. academics seem to think that the reason was either because the parties stopped bribing voters once they couldn't verify how they really voted, or because the secret ballots were designed to be too confusing for illiterate (poor/black) people to deal with. in 30 seconds of googling i didn't see anybody saying that the lack of a party atmosphere made people stop showing up and voting

i wonder if there's some analysis on that? perhaps on the second page of the search results? i will never know

anyway, i'm trying to say two things:
1. the difference between showing up to a rally and showing up to vote is pretty obviously the festive atmosphere, an atmosphere which was present in the highest-turnout (among eligible white males) period of american history, and
2. just like this thread, very few people participate in a public discourse about politics unless they can feel like part of a group. or of course if they want to be the guy who disagrees with everybody, that's fun too

at the same time the secret ballot became widespread, the voting franchise also started really expanding. so that was a thing for turnout rates versus eligible population.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Venom Snake posted:

Trumps going to cry when he realizes without the ironic people and protesters he's got like 60 sincere supporters max

i think youre going to cry when you realize the opposite

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeta Taskforce posted:

According to MSNBC go up to Bernie's backyard and show he's a crossover candidate

Going for the ironic vote is never a smart idea.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Rocks posted:

He gains more and more attention with every rally. His rallies used to be streamed almost solely by Right Side Broadcasting, and get a few thousand viewers. Now they're streamed by multiple outlets with 10k+ viewers a night.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

He goes to one of the whitest states in the country in the "we love a rich guy" NE to prove "crossover appeal" and still fails.

He tried to sell "I can appeal to just more than the crazy whites, I can appeal to other whites as well!" as crossover and it's bombing

Fantastic. If he wins VT is going to be paved over

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Trumps going to beam with joy when he realizes without the ironic people and protesters he's got like 60 sincere supporters max?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

no i'll only cry if he actually wins the general then start laughing like an insane person and never stop still the screaming ends

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

a cop posted:

He gains more and more attention with every rally. His rallies used to be streamed almost solely by Right Side Broadcasting, and get a few thousand viewers. Now they're streamed by multiple outlets with 10k+ viewers a night.

Rallies unfortunately do not equal votes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a cop posted:

So he gets all the press handouts in the world and still can't topple a bunch of nerds streaming Minecraft tsk tsk

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

fishmech posted:

at the same time the secret ballot became widespread, the voting franchise also started really expanding. so that was a thing for turnout rates versus eligible population.

another spasm of googling indicates that the same period also saw voter registration become a thing

it's too bad the progressives couldn't have staggered their reforms across four or five generations for the benefit of future analysis

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'm loving this stream of protesters. Good stuff, Vermont.

a cop posted:

Yeah the number of people showing up are irrelevant and the more protesters the better. He's not concerned with convincing the people attending, those days are over. It's all to give the media something to talk about and provide more free press for Trump.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Epic High Five posted:

So he gets all the press handouts in the world and still can't topple a bunch of nerds streaming Minecraft tsk tsk

just wait til he reveals hes pro gamergate

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
People still in line waiting to get in. Hey, there's a few more free seats now!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Epic High Five posted:

He goes to one of the whitest states in the country in the "we love a rich guy" NE to prove "crossover appeal" and still fails.

He tried to sell "I can appeal to just more than the crazy whites, I can appeal to other whites as well!" as crossover and it's bombing

Fantastic. If he wins VT is going to be paved over

Maybe he honest to god thinks he can make a move to center if he got the nomination and he thinks everyone is retarded enough to buy it. If he had played at being a liberal republican he could have gotten actual crossover, but he didnt, he went for the base and "won"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this article is about a type of ant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate insert ironic commentary about someone's voters here i guess???? eh

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

a cop posted:

But how often do they become an outlet for the Burlington Coat Factory?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

Rallies unfortunately do not equal votes.

im starting to think theres a bot that automatically hijacks a random account and posts this everytime someone's post includes the word rally

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

just wait til he reveals hes pro gamergate

Hasn't he already done this, in albeit couched language? I think he overtly supported someone whose whole life is gamegate awhile back

Oh god it's all blending together, I'm approaching the insane poo poo singularity please send help

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Epic High Five posted:

Hasn't he already done this, in albeit couched language? I think he overtly supported someone whose whole life is gamegate awhile back

Oh god it's all blending together, I'm approaching the insane poo poo singularity please send help

have you read sutter kane

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

thethreeman posted:

happy late xmas trump

quote:

Arrests were made Thursday in Houston, Sacramento and Milwaukee in an ongoing terrorism investigation, law enforcement sources told CBS News.

"I can confirm that there were two national security related arrests today, one in Houston and one in Sacramento," Department of Justice spokesman Marc Raimondi told CBS News' Paula Reid. "There is no current threat to public safety associated with these arrests."

An additional arrest was made in Milwaukee. Raimondi said more information would be available when court documents are unsealed or the suspects make their initial court appearances.

A law enforcement source told CBS News Justice and Homeland Security correspondent Jeff Pegues the Texas suspect is an Iraqi refugee who has been in the U.S. for at least a year. Authorities believe the suspect became radicalized during his time here in the U.S.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I dunno, I'm a veteran and I've been treated pretty well by the VA. :shrug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Maybe he honest to god thinks he can make a move to center if he got the nomination and he thinks everyone is retarded enough to buy it. If he had played at being a liberal republican he could have gotten actual crossover, but he didnt, he went for the base and "won"

If he had done that he would've never gotten to where he is. He's got zero bona fides and his popularity tanks if the crazy train slows down, and I'm afraid that particular train doesn't make stops in Socially Liberal Republicanville

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

im starting to think theres a bot that automatically hijacks a random account and posts this everytime someone's post includes the word rally

It might be because saying big rallies = more votes has caused the self destruction of more than a few campaigns. I would not be surprised if everyone at TRUMP HQ honestly believes that the more rallies they hold and the bigger they are the more people will vote for them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also relying on that narrative produces some insanely funny irony when the canadite bragging about how big the crowds they attract comes in like 3rd or 4th place lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

welp here comes the poo poo train, my guess is he will be call for muslims to be deported soon.

Epic High Five posted:

If he had done that he would've never gotten to where he is. He's got zero bona fides and his popularity tanks if the crazy train slows down, and I'm afraid that particular train doesn't make stops in Socially Liberal Republicanville

I am pretty sure the town doesn't exist, or is at least sparcly populated.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I see we have found Trumps refugee/immigration/deportation policy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I have not but I will be checking this out from the library to watch now

In the movie made of this primary in the future, the scene of this happening at the rally will be interspersed with the scene of the betrayal witch hunt going on AS WE SPEAK at the Oregon terrorist birdwatching post!

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobfvKVBT4E

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i bet a certain vermont theater owner is currently feeling regret

unless he got paid enough. i guess. trump is too good a negotiator to let the guy feel good about himself though i bet

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Betrüger raus

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Epic High Five posted:

I have not but I will be checking this out from the library to watch now

It's quite good imo, much like other John Carpenter films

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Brannock posted:

It's quite good imo, much like other John Carpenter films

:hf:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall!
That one looks Jewish!
And that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint,
And another with spots!
If I had my way,
I'd have all of you shot!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trumps campaign eating itself trying to figure out whos a sincere supporter or not would be extremely poetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Under Trump we're going to go back to having products that say Made in America, we're going to say Merry Christmas, we're going to beat China, we're going to repeal and replace Obamacare, we're going to destroy Common Core, and the second amendment is going to be huge.

• Locked thread