Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Reason posted:

Looking for a recent film. Horror film made probably after 2010, plot goes something like, writer or investigator person stays in a home or hotel in a small town that is New Englandy and the town disappears and there are monsters trying to kill him. The monsters were very lovecraftian.

Could be your slightly misremembering "Final Prayer" or "the borderlands" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Could be your slightly misremembering "Final Prayer" or "the borderlands" ?

Thanks those are both fun movies that I've seen, but it wasn't found footage. Starting to think this movie is a figment of the imagination.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly you might be thinking of the video game Alan Wake.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I'm actually trying to remember where a specific line comes from.
It's two people meeting for the first time and one asks the others name, they respond and the other retorts something along the lines of "do you have a surname or are you like Madonna?"
It's been driving me insane! TIA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MisterGBH posted:

It's two people meeting for the first time and one asks the others name, they respond and the other retorts something along the lines of "do you have a surname or are you like Madonna?"

Weird, I think I remember this, too, but couldn't tell you from where.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

MisterGBH posted:

Not from a movie, but I'm pretty sure it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBSB2WhUdRc

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Hannibal Rex posted:

Thank you it very well may be from that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Dear god, I'm kind of glad I completely missed out on this show; Terminators are laughably bad at completing assassination missions, and I can't see that going for multiple seasons like it did.

Two films, sure, but after that, yeesh.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I gave the show a pass for the longest time, and only watched it a few months ago. You have to accept the limitations of a TV budget when it comes to editing, special effects, etc., but it's definitely better than anything in the franchise after T2. Lena Headey is fantastic as Sarah Connor.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
A guy gets a pilot made and to make sure it is popular he gets a bunch of people on a cruise ship and his friends go to their houses and turn their TVs on to the show. As the show gets picked up the people are kept longer and longer on the cruise ship. The name of the show the guy made was "Sitting Pretty". Can't find anything about the movie online

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Incitatus posted:

A guy gets a pilot made and to make sure it is popular he gets a bunch of people on a cruise ship and his friends go to their houses and turn their TVs on to the show. As the show gets picked up the people are kept longer and longer on the cruise ship. The name of the show the guy made was "Sitting Pretty". Can't find anything about the movie online

The Ratings Game.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

It's an 80s teen horror movie. All I know is there are kids driving through the city, they pass a red light or something and swerve the car around, and all that swerving opens a dimensional rift (?maybe). Anyway they go to a bar afterwards, and it's full of vampires.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

mike12345 posted:

It's an 80s teen horror movie. All I know is there are kids driving through the city, they pass a red light or something and swerve the car around, and all that swerving opens a dimensional rift (?maybe). Anyway they go to a bar afterwards, and it's full of vampires.

I think this is Vamp.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ProfessorMurder posted:

I think this is Vamp.

I think you're right. IMDB says something about the club being called "After Dark", that sounds familiar. Maybe I remembered it because of Grace Jones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dear god, I'm kind of glad I completely missed out on this show; Terminators are laughably bad at completing assassination missions, and I can't see that going for multiple seasons like it did.

Two films, sure, but after that, yeesh.

You really missed out. T:SCC made some incredibly ballsy moves and took the franchise to places a movie could never go, like showing you what it's like when a Terminator is in long term infiltration mode from its perspective.

(It also had a Terminator singing "Donald, Where's Yer Trousers?", which is something I never thought I'd be typing in seriousness.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'm looking for a clip of a guy, with glasses, sitting on a toilet. Suddenly, he starts leaking blood and eventually shits out a knife. Then, while his groin is still bleeding, he lifts up his shirt to show something in his stomach squirming, and he starts pulling an object that looks like an intestine out of his mouth. It looks like a super-cheap 80s or 90s horror movie, because the clip I've seen looks like a VHS rip.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MisterGBH posted:

A little Internet detective-ing has led me to an episode of Charmed ("Sleuthing with the Enemy").

Inspector Reece Davidson: "And you are?"

Phoebe: "Phoebe."

Inspector Reece Davidson: "Is that like a Cher, or a Madonna, or do you have a last name?"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm looking for a clip of a guy, with glasses, sitting on a toilet. Suddenly, he starts leaking blood and eventually shits out a knife. Then, while his groin is still bleeding, he lifts up his shirt to show something in his stomach squirming, and he starts pulling an object that looks like an intestine out of his mouth. It looks like a super-cheap 80s or 90s horror movie, because the clip I've seen looks like a VHS rip.

Videodrome

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Videodrome

I can barely remember this film, but doesn't James Woods pull a gun out of his stomach/rib cage?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yes, and he has sex with a TV.

(I don't remember him making GBS threads a knife though.)

punchymcpunch fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 4, 2016

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Opopanax posted:

Videodrome

It's not Videodrome, it's something cheaper and more obscure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh, sorry. I blurred that post together a bit and read it as "pulled a VHS tape out of his stomach"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Reason posted:

Looking for a recent film. Horror film made probably after 2010, plot goes something like, writer or investigator person stays in a home or hotel in a small town that is New Englandy and the town disappears and there are monsters trying to kill him. The monsters were very lovecraftian.

You're sure it's not The Mist?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist_(film)

Cthulhu (07)?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_(2007_film)

Or, Whisperer in Darkness? (note this is B&W): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whisperer_in_Darkness_(film)

Red fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 4, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dear fellow goons, please help me so I can finally get my girlfriend to stop haranguing me about finding this movie she saw the trailer for a while back. I don't know how many more times I can type variations of "couple moves into haunted house and mother-in-law locks daughter-in-law in the basement" at her behest. I've checked an rear end-ton of sites that list upcoming movies, especially those focusing on horror, but I can't find this one bloody movie and every time we go to watch TV she asks me about it again.

All I know is the following, which I am half-remembering from the trailer she found months ago: A recently-married couple move into a new home and the husband's mother-in-law comes to visit. Weird stuff happens to the wife and she keeps trying to tell the husband but he's all :smug: "huehuehue you're just imagining it you silly woman huehuehue" :smug:. Beyond that, the only other thing I can remember is the mother-in-law shoving the daughter-in-law down the basement steps and locking her down there in the dark with whatever the hell is in the house.

I would be terribly grateful to anyone who can identify this movie so I can finally tell my girlfriend "it's called ____."

Help me, Something Awful, you're my only hope

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Could it be The Visit?

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Hexenritter posted:

Dear fellow goons, please help me so I can finally get my girlfriend to stop haranguing me about finding this movie she saw the trailer for a while back. I don't know how many more times I can type variations of "couple moves into haunted house and mother-in-law locks daughter-in-law in the basement" at her behest. I've checked an rear end-ton of sites that list upcoming movies, especially those focusing on horror, but I can't find this one bloody movie and every time we go to watch TV she asks me about it again.

All I know is the following, which I am half-remembering from the trailer she found months ago: A recently-married couple move into a new home and the husband's mother-in-law comes to visit. Weird stuff happens to the wife and she keeps trying to tell the husband but he's all :smug: "huehuehue you're just imagining it you silly woman huehuehue" :smug:. Beyond that, the only other thing I can remember is the mother-in-law shoving the daughter-in-law down the basement steps and locking her down there in the dark with whatever the hell is in the house.

I would be terribly grateful to anyone who can identify this movie so I can finally tell my girlfriend "it's called ____."

Help me, Something Awful, you're my only hope

I found this trailer for a movie called Dead Story. Looks like it could be what you're describing.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Here's a movie that I've never seen but remember its trailer leaving an impression:

- It's a 90s movie (MAYBE it could have been a 1989 movie but it seemed very solidly early/mid 90s - I saw the trailer mid/late 90s on a rented video)
- It had a red band (the first one I'd seen, a big reason why the trailer left an impression)
- It's a horror movie or at least an intense thriller of some kind
- The trailer consisted mostly of a quiet scene of a woman in a bathtub shot from above - no music (or very quiet, subtle music if any) for the most part
- The scene is intercut with occasional flashes of scary shots (unfortunately they were so fast and it's been so long ago I don't remember what the shots were of)
- It could possibly be a sequel (text fades in and out mentioning that "You Survived", the implication being that the horror isn't over yet)

I've periodically tried to figure this one out whenever I get reminded of it, but my Google skills are weak apparently. I don't recall any material to account for the red band (maybe you could've caught a glimpse of the woman's naughty bits but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if so).

Many thanks in advance!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

lizardman posted:

Here's a movie that I've never seen but remember its trailer leaving an impression:

- It's a 90s movie (MAYBE it could have been a 1989 movie but it seemed very solidly early/mid 90s - I saw the trailer mid/late 90s on a rented video)
- It had a red band (the first one I'd seen, a big reason why the trailer left an impression)
- It's a horror movie or at least an intense thriller of some kind
- The trailer consisted mostly of a quiet scene of a woman in a bathtub shot from above - no music (or very quiet, subtle music if any) for the most part
- The scene is intercut with occasional flashes of scary shots (unfortunately they were so fast and it's been so long ago I don't remember what the shots were of)
- It could possibly be a sequel (text fades in and out mentioning that "You Survived", the implication being that the horror isn't over yet)

I've periodically tried to figure this one out whenever I get reminded of it, but my Google skills are weak apparently. I don't recall any material to account for the red band (maybe you could've caught a glimpse of the woman's naughty bits but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if so).

Many thanks in advance!

Mute Witness? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-I7nI6cCg

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

No but we earmarked that one the other night as a definite watcher. Thanks for looking.

ProfessorMurder posted:

I found this trailer for a movie called Dead Story. Looks like it could be what you're describing.

That's it. You, dear Professor, are an absolute lifesaver.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Good lord, I've been wondering about this on and off for the better part of 20 years! Thank you

EDIT: I'm STILL not sure why this trailer has a red band!

lizardman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 7, 2016

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

lizardman posted:

Good lord, I've been wondering about this on and off for the better part of 20 years! Thank you

EDIT: I'm STILL not sure why this trailer has a red band!

Glad to help! I remember seeing that trailer on a VHS as a kid, always stuck with me even though I've never seen the actual movie. I should probably watch it.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Here's one that's always bugged me: A slightly crappy-looking sci-fi movie, maybe post-apocalyptic, with the leads dressed in some kind of black rubber soldier uniform. A Dolph Lundgren-looking dude and woman with blonde hair. The last scene is them leaving a big tower or fortress and walking off into the desert, and someone decides not to shoot them with a sniper rifle. Maybe they decide not to shoot each other? I saw this on British telly in the mid-nineties, just in time for the ending. It had kind of a Fortress or Blood of Heroes feel to it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

codyclarke posted:

Glad to help! I remember seeing that trailer on a VHS as a kid, always stuck with me even though I've never seen the actual movie. I should probably watch it.

I recommend it. It's trying super super hard to channel Brian de Palma channeling Alfred Hitchcock but in sort of great ways that I thought were clever and charming and just a lot of fun.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

codyclarke posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna check it out myself. You seemed to have found it pretty quick, how'd you manage it? I usually tried going the route of googling for redband trailers from the 90s or "horror trailer with woman in bathtub" (which usually brings up Slither or Nightmare on Elm Street).

Ape Agitator posted:

I recommend it. It's trying super super hard to channel Brian de Palma channeling Alfred Hitchcock but in sort of great ways that I thought were clever and charming and just a lot of fun.

Sounds like a good time. It seems to have been a very well-received movie (and I'm a sucker for adult thrillers) and even apparently features Alec Guinness in a bit part, I'm surprised I have never heard of this movie aside from seeing its trailer from way back when.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
I'm not going to quote multiple people here so I'll just say broadly regarding Mute Witness that from what I remember it was pretty good and certainly better than just the premise of a horror film where the girl can't scream and one of the only films I can remember where snuff films being real doesn't make a terrible film.

Anyway since this is the identification thread here's one - a British gangster film from the 80s or maybe 70s where someone is threatened by being dangled by the feet off a tall building or parking lot or something and he just flippantly responds something like "I love all this".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a comedy. The scene is definitely funny. The movies cuts to scene of a woman, slightly overweight, eyes wide with fear, clutching a microphone in both hands, singing karaoke completely expressionless and monotone. We move away from her to a conversation with the main characters, but she remains in the background, still slightly audible. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

What movie is this?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

lizardman posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna check it out myself. You seemed to have found it pretty quick, how'd you manage it? I usually tried going the route of googling for redband trailers from the 90s or "horror trailer with woman in bathtub" (which usually brings up Slither or Nightmare on Elm Street).

Knew it right away! Just always remembered that trailer, it stuck with me for some reason.

Franchescanado posted:

I think it's a comedy. The scene is definitely funny. The movies cuts to scene of a woman, slightly overweight, eyes wide with fear, clutching a microphone in both hands, singing karaoke completely expressionless and monotone. We move away from her to a conversation with the main characters, but she remains in the background, still slightly audible. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

What movie is this?

Is it the karaoke scene in Slither?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

A comedy where someone in a cell is talking to the hero as they're walking away, in typical good guy talks to incarcerated bad guy fashion. Ends up walking out of cell easily while talking. Realises and makes his way back in to cell, like "whoops, I'll just go back in here".
Maybe early 2000s?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

donquixotic posted:

Anyway since this is the identification thread here's one - a British gangster film from the 80s or maybe 70s where someone is threatened by being dangled by the feet off a tall building or parking lot or something and he just flippantly responds something like "I love all this".

A Fish Called Wanda?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniUNdVZvH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
No it was definitely a gangster film - truth be told I'm sure the memory of it is probably a mish-mash of five different memories. Thanks anyway