Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
What has 100 HP? Were you fighting the Collector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Probably the giant in the swamp area that does the treebranch smackdown.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

fargom posted:

Probably the giant in the swamp area that does the treebranch smackdown.

Yeah that guy is a bastard as I discovered last night.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Soothing Vapors posted:

No I've beaten him 3-4 times now, I was referring to the Treebranch Giant. Who wasn't that hard, as between an Occultist and a Vestal both of whom have Heal+ Trinkets (and I gave the Occultist a Cleansing Crystal, which not only raised his Bleed Resist by 40% but lowered his Bleed Skill%) There's very little danger of Dying, especially when the Crusader has their own heal spell that's reliable and the Hellion can self-heal. In short, I was in no 'danger' but it was a shock. Also the lack of resources meant I didn't get far. It's also occured to me how many negative traits these guys have gotten, going to be spending a lot of adventures removing them

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I forgot all about that fuckin giant. Bone General is a huge bag of HP too

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Jan 19th looks like the final release

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/685179050126540800

I've only been picking at the game here and there, can't wait to commit to a full run. Excited to see what they have in store.
Does this mean our current save games will become obsolete on release? I'd hate to give up the progress I made so far, but I haven't gotten past the first tier of bosses yet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Rip my Arbalest, She hit deaths door and missed an attack that would have let her survive, it's also my fault for not just ending the fight (Though missing twice didn't help) because I'd planned to camp in that room anyway.

Luckily the Crusader, Occultist and Bounty Hunter were able to make it through. And I still have a backup Arbalest.

Of course the real problem is now I'm on a roster of 24/25 with no way to level a Rank 0 unless 3 more people die.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Onmi posted:

Rip my Arbalest, She hit deaths door and missed an attack that would have let her survive, it's also my fault for not just ending the fight (Though missing twice didn't help) because I'd planned to camp in that room anyway.

Luckily the Crusader, Occultist and Bounty Hunter were able to make it through. And I still have a backup Arbalest.

Of course the real problem is now I'm on a roster of 24/25 with no way to level a Rank 0 unless 3 more people die.

Drag the one level 0 hero through a high level short dungeon with your best heroes.

Olive Branch posted:

Does this mean our current save games will become obsolete on release? I'd hate to give up the progress I made so far, but I haven't gotten past the first tier of bosses yet.

Someone in the thread earlier said the saves will work.

Unrelated, I was fighting the highest level Siren fight last night and my Hellion (which was the first time I've used it since she got changed) and she critted the Siren 3 times for 40+ damage each time. She's coming along on more adventures now.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 7, 2016

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
Just beat the Champion Prophet, leaving only the Brigand 16 Pounder left to take out before I've finished the content available. Figures the one boss I fear is the one I would leave for last.

I guess I still have to get one of every class to lvl 6 but objectives like that actually feel like a grind so I don't care much about those.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Iron Chitlin posted:

Just beat the Champion Prophet, leaving only the Brigand 16 Pounder left to take out before I've finished the content available. Figures the one boss I fear is the one I would leave for last.

I guess I still have to get one of every class to lvl 6 but objectives like that actually feel like a grind so I don't care much about those.

Is the 17 HP trigger that much harder?

Anyway I decided to replace my Arbalest with a Vestel, and when the first one died I lucked out and a second one arrived, that one survived. Also I really, REALLY have to remember to equip trinkets on dungeons. I almost lost Reynauld due to that, Also my greed for treasure will be my undoing one day.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there/are they adding a loadout feature to save parties and trinkets?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Onmi posted:

Is the 17 HP trigger that much harder?

Anyway I decided to replace my Arbalest with a Vestel, and when the first one died I lucked out and a second one arrived, that one survived. Also I really, REALLY have to remember to equip trinkets on dungeons. I almost lost Reynauld due to that, Also my greed for treasure will be my undoing one day.

Just fought the Champion Cannon, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The Veteran Cannon fight wiped two whole parties before I was able to take it down, yet the fight I just had was among the easiest of the Champion bosses. Ran Vestal, Houndmaster, Abomination, and Hellion and was pretty easy to keep the match lighter stunned/dead. The one time my houndmaster failed to kill him resulted in a misfire, and the rest was just slowly whittling the cannon down while managing the brigand spawns, which the Abomination is great for.

I'm done with DD until launch. After 175 hours I finally get to take a break!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

What's the full game adding, other than more end game content?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Olive Branch posted:

What's the full game adding, other than more end game content?

The last class?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

The last class?
Oh, there's another class to go along with it? Awesome.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Olive Branch posted:

Oh, there's another class to go along with it? Awesome.

The final class, The Merchant, will not be part of this upcoming patch. It will be added shortly after release alongside the Town Events in the first post release content patch.

As for the release patch, beyond the final dungeon and a win state/ending, we don't really know what all will be included. If previous content patches are anything to go by, we will also get a slew of bug fixes and balance changes amid all the new stuff, followed by several hotfixes to fix the new issues. Still the only thing we know for certain is that there will be a new dungeon, new enemies, new bosses, and an ending to the game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, I presume that the game is worth getting at this point? I always was interested, but did not want to deal with the early access jank.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So, I presume that the game is worth getting at this point? I always was interested, but did not want to deal with the early access jank.

It was worth getting long before now, but yes. The game will be complete in ~12 days, and any saves will carry over after release. If the game appeals to you then go ahead and jump in. For me personally, this is one of the best games I've played in the last ten years, and the fact that it is still unfinished speaks a lot to it's quality.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Iron Chitlin posted:

Just fought the Champion Cannon, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The Veteran Cannon fight wiped two whole parties before I was able to take it down, yet the fight I just had was among the easiest of the Champion bosses. Ran Vestal, Houndmaster, Abomination, and Hellion and was pretty easy to keep the match lighter stunned/dead. The one time my houndmaster failed to kill him resulted in a misfire, and the rest was just slowly whittling the cannon down while managing the brigand spawns, which the Abomination is great for.

I'm done with DD until launch. After 175 hours I finally get to take a break!

Cannon is in general an easy boss. It is an endurance fight, but as long as you don't make bad choices in the fight and have a semi-smart party layout you'll eventually win. It gets crazy if you make bad choices (letting the cannon try to fire is worse than not hurting the cannon), but that is all in your hands.

Some of the other fights are a bit more random/chaotic, some are easier because they don't have a good mechanic (siren needs a rework/tweak). Necromancer is very similar to cannon, but is more of a stress endurance fight than a health endurance fight.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Going against the drowned crew without looking it up first was hell.

Fight seemed to start off really well with a 40 point crit on the boss. "Wow! Unless this boss has some kind of bastard mechanic that stresses out my Abomination and makes fights of attrition useless, I'm good to go!..what is this anchor thingy doing?"

Anyway, 20 turns later my Occultist is dead, my Plague Doctor is dead, my Houndmaster is Abusive, but it doesn't matter because he's dealing 5 damage at best without marking support, and my Abomination is locked in position 1 and got afflicted so he can't transform anymore.

I had him down to 12 HP too :negative:

e: The annoying thing too is that it definitely would not have been a hard fight at all if I had a more straightforward party able to chop down the crew member fast.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, first time I've ever been hosed by the game right at the end of a mission. The short of it was I was doing a purify altar mission and from the entrance there was two paths. I take one, no altars there, meaning I have now fought a significant amount of battles without any gain, Eventually the build up of stress ruins the Plague Doctor, then the Vestal, finally the Man of Arms and Jester.

So then I have one altar left and come to another branch path, I pick the wrong one. Fine. As I turn to leave, encounter spawns in the hallways. gently caress. So I manage to kill it and move through to take the other path, I enter another encounter, Plague Doctor Heart attacks and dies to a death blow. But that's fine because the last room HAS to have the altar, so just do that and we're home-

Enemies. Surprise Attack.

I hit retreat, and then exit the Dungeon. Literally at the room of success. I did not want to lose my last Rank 3 Vestal along with a MaA and my only Jester, who, just to answer the coming question of what Role it was playing, was being a bleeder, which on reflection was a bad idea. but my planned use of the Abomination didn't work because of the Vestal.

Until those last two rooms, Dungeon had gone well even despite the pointless detour. Oh well, it happens, I got a lot of money and resources from it so it wasn't a complete loss, but now I need someone else to raise. I also still had another Plague Doctor so I'm not that worried about it. My main disappointment was losing some very valuable trinkets.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've come to like the Jester. I use him in the third spot so if the party ever gets surprised out of position he makes it a little easier to get everyone back in action while still pushing out damage. Stacks bleed DOT's like a champ too.

N256
Dec 30, 2009
Here's a neat bug I saw on reddit. You can pull provisions from the provision screen straight to your trinket inventory.

You can also use it to sell trinkets to the provision screen for more gold.

N256 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 8, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

N256 posted:

Here's a neat bug I saw on reddit. You can pull provisions from the provision screen straight to your trinket inventory.

You can also use it to sell trinkets to the provision screen for more gold.
:stare:

Mental note, abuse this bug to make a ton of cash while it still exists

I have some perks that need locking in

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Yeah this is what I've been doing, you can also use it to stockpile campfires and bring as many as you wish.

EDIT: I bit the bullet and turned off retreats failing, The long story short is I got to the end of a Long 90% dungeon in the cove with a Rank 3 Bounty Hunter, Occultist and Abomination... oh and a Rank 0 Arbalest. I had one room to go, enter, battle, I decide "gently caress it, I don't need to beat these guys, the room counts as explored I'll retreat." Since I got the first turn. Frankly I didn't want to hit retreat then fail and eat a bunch of crits ruining a good run, so I turned off retreat failing. You know what? I came back with about 20,000 Gold, the Arbalest Ranked up directly to 2, and I got 48 shields, and hell there was more money I could have gotten I skipped over.

In short, I don't regret it, randomly failing to run is bullshit in a game where you have to know when to fold them.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 8, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really want to abuse that bug for perks but at the same time i really shouldn't.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

JT Jag posted:

why not just hack in infinite gold and give every mob 1 hp while you're at it :colbert:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
probably for the same reason that shady credit swaps make you rich but ponzi schemes land you in jail.

if you work within the system, they can't touch you!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Soothing Vapors posted:

why not just hack in infinite gold and give every mob 1 hp while you're at it :colbert:
One is abusing a bug, the other is cheating

Abusing bugs is a time-tested game tradition, especially in RPGs. Cheating is cheating

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

dogstile posted:

I really want to abuse that bug for perks but at the same time i really shouldn't.
Some people would say "exploit the system" but I personally won't. If you need money run short dungeons. :colbert:

In your esteemed opinions what would you say are some good quirks to lock in? I think locking in Unyielding (+10% Death's Door Resist) coupled with a Martyr Seal (unsure of the name, it's a trinket that gives nearly double damage when on Death's Door, +12% Death's Door resistance, and -2 Dodge) would be intensity personified.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Did the new game plus stuff with the lose state make it into the 1.0 release, or is that also going to be post release content?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
God drat this thread has been moving fast lately! With the release only 11 days away its pretty cool to see how much hubub there is for this game still, thread was going strong for all of EA and now its really coming together. I've been holding off on playing too much so as to avoid burning out while in EA, but now I'm playing more and more approaching release.

How quickly the tide turns.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Chitlin posted:

The final class, The Merchant, will not be part of this upcoming patch. It will be added shortly after release alongside the Town Events in the first post release content patch.

Boo. I wanted to play the merchant on the 19th.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

JT Jag posted:

One is abusing a bug, the other is cheating

Abusing bugs is a time-tested game tradition, especially in RPGs. Cheating is cheating

The tension of never having quite enough resources is an integral part of this game though, and abusing bugs like that is depriving yourself of that aspect. It is sort of why I won't turn on the various 'easy' options, even when that screws over a run or whatever.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Lol I'm not cheating, I'm just using a bug to get infinite resources and avoid the dangerous parts of the game where you still need to build your town! Nerds.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i care about how other people play a single player game

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Well if you didn't why would you be reading a thread filled primarily with people describing just that

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Cheating Happens In Multiplayer

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Well if you didn't why would you be reading a thread filled primarily with people describing just that
I don't care about how other people play, I just read it hoping they'll most more awesome cheats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Eh to be fair the original "why would you do that and not just cheat" was more just a question of effort and what the difference was, I don't think he meant it as judgement for being a bad gamer or whatever. Then everybody just kinda responded to that.

Whatever not important, play how you want!