Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I don't understand what GC tanks being in the locker room has to do with gender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RadioPassive posted:

I don't understand what GC tanks being in the locker room has to do with gender?

Something along the lines of Woman goes into locker room to change tanks --> sees naked man --> ???. Can't think of too many places where going into the opposite gendered bathroom is a part of the job description (maybe janitor)

Speaking of which, the dedicated women's bathroom in the lab/plant is now a) really smokey b) lab storage. This room is also locked as other employees would steal lab supplies for their own use. The only other w. br is in the front office building

john ashpool posted:

What state is this?

Not one you're thinking of

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 6, 2015

Miss Ginger
May 16, 2011
The office supplies are under lockdown.

The highest up boss and his secretary were the only ones with keys to the cabinet that houses pens, markers, highlighters, sticky flags, etc. for the quality department. The secretary is currently having a baby. The keys are missing. Because the secretary is out, nobody can order pens online. Because the secretary is out, nobody can get authorization to use their company credit cards.

:kingsley:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Sundae posted:

Does your employer have 100 or more employees? If so, I recommend reading this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker_Adjustment_and_Retraining_Notification_Act

Yuuuuuup, contacting a labor attorney tomorrow. Doubt I have a case, but "my lawyer advised against it" will shut my department up when they're asking me to help un-gently caress their microfluidic chip loading methods in the following week.

I start at my new gig in January, woo!

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 7, 2015

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Bastard Tetris posted:

Yuuuuuup, contacting a labor attorney tomorrow. Doubt I have a case, but "my lawyer advised against it" will shut my department up when they're asking me to help un-gently caress their microfluidic chip loading methods in the following week.

Congratulations on the quick turnaround!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Crosspost from the Job Openings thread since it's pretty relevant here:

JOB OPENING(S)

What: I do freelance work for a firm that offers scientific writing services and help for researchers who are non-native English speakers. For my job I receive manuscripts intended for publication in academic journals, written in English by authors who are not themselves native English speakers. I edit them to make them readable, and sometimes do some basic document formatting for them, and send them back. The firm is currently looking for editors for Physics, Chemistry and Medicine articles, and need Physics editors in particular.

Who: There's an online application you can find here. You can also PM me if you have questions, I have an e-mail contact for the person in charge of the listing but was told that the online application is the better route to go.

How: From memory, the only real qualifications they asked from me were a degree in a relevant field (for example I have a BA and MS in Chemistry and work in their Materials Science group) and "mastery" of the English language. My interview consisted of a multiple-choice quiz to make sure I could edit properly, and having not written in any scientific capacity for two years I only missed one question. They will ask if you yourself have published anything, maybe they will pay you more if you have but they hired me even though I haven't published anything.

Where: Everything is done remotely. So long as you have an internet connection, can edit Word documents (and the occasional Powerpoint deck), and can field the occasional e-mail from your manager, you're golden.

Why: Honestly, the pay isn't great and I take slight umbrage at having my English writing and editing critiqued by non-native speakers, possibly due to my suppressed racist tendencies (the firm is headquartered overseas). But you can set your own hours and take on as much or as little work as you want, as all assignments are voluntary. If you're like me and have a desk job where you have a lot of free time, and need an excuse to spend less time on SA, this is a great way to make a few extra bucks. In my opinion, however, this is not a sustainable full-time job unless you are really busting your rear end (or don't have to pay rent or other living expenses).

When: Now, I guess.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

C-Euro posted:

Crosspost from the Job Openings thread since it's pretty relevant here:

JOB OPENING(S)

What: I do freelance work for a firm that offers scientific writing services and help for researchers who are non-native English speakers. For my job I receive manuscripts intended for publication in academic journals, written in English by authors who are not themselves native English speakers. I edit them to make them readable, and sometimes do some basic document formatting for them, and send them back. The firm is currently looking for editors for Physics, Chemistry and Medicine articles, and need Physics editors in particular.

Who: There's an online application you can find here. You can also PM me if you have questions, I have an e-mail contact for the person in charge of the listing but was told that the online application is the better route to go.

How: From memory, the only real qualifications they asked from me were a degree in a relevant field (for example I have a BA and MS in Chemistry and work in their Materials Science group) and "mastery" of the English language. My interview consisted of a multiple-choice quiz to make sure I could edit properly, and having not written in any scientific capacity for two years I only missed one question. They will ask if you yourself have published anything, maybe they will pay you more if you have but they hired me even though I haven't published anything.

Where: Everything is done remotely. So long as you have an internet connection, can edit Word documents (and the occasional Powerpoint deck), and can field the occasional e-mail from your manager, you're golden.

Why: Honestly, the pay isn't great and I take slight umbrage at having my English writing and editing critiqued by non-native speakers, possibly due to my suppressed racist tendencies (the firm is headquartered overseas). But you can set your own hours and take on as much or as little work as you want, as all assignments are voluntary. If you're like me and have a desk job where you have a lot of free time, and need an excuse to spend less time on SA, this is a great way to make a few extra bucks. In my opinion, however, this is not a sustainable full-time job unless you are really busting your rear end (or don't have to pay rent or other living expenses).

When: Now, I guess.

How long did it take to start receiving assigenments? I signed up for this before Thanksgiving and did the video etc but no jobs yet. Not really complaining since I have been busy with work/holidays.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Bastard Tetris posted:

I was under the impression there was a minimum # or % of employees laid off to qualify for WARN, something like 50 people?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Pain of Mind posted:

I was under the impression there was a minimum # or % of employees laid off to qualify for WARN, something like 50 people?

Yup, they're just under the minimum. Apparently they do this fairly frequently, so I'm just gonna chalk it up to a lovely company. I also found out they signed me up for the wrong health plan, and I didn't notice until our visit to urgent care wasn't covered.

Happy holidays!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lt_Tofu posted:

How long did it take to start receiving assigenments? I signed up for this before Thanksgiving and did the video etc but no jobs yet. Not really complaining since I have been busy with work/holidays.

I remember my first month being slow as gently caress, so much so that I thought they had forgotten about me or were trying to get me to ragequit. After that it picked up.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You know you love working in the lab when you get :woop: over a new, adjustable, properly-sized-for-your-height bench stool.

Happy new years, first post of the year booyakasha. :getin:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I start my first 12hr graveyard shift on Sunday. Any tips for transitioning?

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Any ideas on what could cause this type of baseline distortion in an HPLC/UV method? The method is a general method for analysis of a component in ophthalmic products. The mobile phase consists of TBAH (an ion pairing reagent), Ph'ed with phosphoric acid, and ACN. (75%/25%) The baseline dips right when the main peak comes off. This was duplicated as well, so it was a consistent issue with this particular sample (which is notoriously viscous). The analyte peak is nearly 10% higher in conc. than what it is supposed to be (caused by the red hashed area), and if you manually integrate it at the dotted line, you would get the expected concentration. This is still in specification to us, but we still have to investigate because it is very out of the norm and this type of issue has not really been seen before. I just wanted to see if anyone experienced in HPLC has seen this type of issue before and to see how they resolved it or went about investigating it.

TheSpartacus fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 8, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm rusty on my hplc but you could be saturating the detector. Try a series of dilutions and see if it goes away.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What wavelength?

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
If I remember correctly, ~250 nm. The drug that I'm working with has an active concentration of about 10 mg/ml, but the component (EDTA) that this assay is for is at a concentration of approx. 0.05-0.1 mg/ml. For this particular drug, the active/matrix has excellent resolution with the EDTA. I'm not really sure if dilution is possible because of the low concentration of EDTA, we already prepare it neat with a spike of cupric nitrate while some other drugs are prepared at a 5-10x dilution.

I might also note that this is an anomaly, this did not happen the last 10x I have ran this particular assay, with this particular drug.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013
I've been working at a PHARMA CRO as a PR&D chemist (bs) for 3 years now out of college in bumfuck, SC. I've been doing mostly non-gmp synthesis in the lab (1g - 5kg) and some small GMP projects. I'm also running a plant scale GMP project atm. My salary has always been low (43k) and we were acquired by big pharma earlier this year and everything is getting miserable.

Can I hope to find a job where my extensive lab work experience will carryover? I'm not married to pharma, either. I have lot of interest in pharmacology/toxicology/biochem as well.

I'd rather not do QA/QC work, but if it comes with a large salary increase and a nice location I'm down to do it.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I feel like I just came from where you are career-wise, and it went well.

BS in chem, 5 years in a research reagent manufacturing lab, no GMP, underpaid at $48k inside the city of Boston, job title was "Chemist" for 5 years, raises below inflation every year. No real jewels on the resume but a wide, wide variety of weird techniques because the lab had been around forever and still did all these wonky syntheses and purifications. But also no GMP.

They laid me off and inside of 2 months I took an ~18+ month contract job for a GMP QC lab at $37/hour as a Senior Analyst. I'll either go permanent once the contract renewal rolls around or I'll have 5 years in manufacturing and 1-2 years GMP experience on this contract and expect to find high $70ks to mid $80ks in the area.

If you can get your resume in front of the right eyes, you can get interviews with that experience. If you interview well, you can get jobs with that experience.

I dunno what things are like in South Carolina, but eastern Massachusetts has a bunch of biotech/pharma around. Pfizer, Shire, Astrazeneca, Biogen, Millipore, Waters, Agilent, Novartis, Genzyme, Takeda, Vertex are all probably within 45 minutes of each other. And that's just off the top of my head.

TheSpartacus posted:

I might also note that this is an anomaly, this did not happen the last 10x I have ran this particular assay, with this particular drug.

Hm, spent the last 5 years doing HPLC almost every work day and this has me stumped. That's a weird one.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
You could uh manage a food processing lab. It'll be QC/QA work though. They can pay decent enough depending on where you go. Cost of living and all that.

I'd stay away from the environmental field because they pay gently caress all and treat you like gently caress all.

I went into computer component manufacturing. They pay quite well and I basically do everything analytical. ICP, chromatography, wet assays, CVS (lol), you name it. It's not for the faint of heart, though. Engineers as customers suck rear end.

Else the above post for pharma.

Also wish me luck on my first 12hr graveyard!!! Things I do for an extra few hundos a month...

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

TheSpartacus posted:

Any ideas on what could cause this type of baseline distortion in an HPLC/UV method? The method is a general method for analysis of a component in ophthalmic products. The mobile phase consists of TBAH (an ion pairing reagent), Ph'ed with phosphoric acid, and ACN. (75%/25%) The baseline dips right when the main peak comes off. This was duplicated as well, so it was a consistent issue with this particular sample (which is notoriously viscous). The analyte peak is nearly 10% higher in conc. than what it is supposed to be (caused by the red hashed area), and if you manually integrate it at the dotted line, you would get the expected concentration. This is still in specification to us, but we still have to investigate because it is very out of the norm and this type of issue has not really been seen before. I just wanted to see if anyone experienced in HPLC has seen this type of issue before and to see how they resolved it or went about investigating it.

Your viscous sample is causing a change in the index of refraction, which is affecting your UV signal. Reduce concentration to get nice peaks.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

carnassials posted:

I've been working at a PHARMA CRO as a PR&D chemist (bs) for 3 years now out of college in bumfuck, SC. I've been doing mostly non-gmp synthesis in the lab (1g - 5kg) and some small GMP projects. I'm also running a plant scale GMP project atm. My salary has always been low (43k) and we were acquired by big pharma earlier this year and everything is getting miserable.

Can I hope to find a job where my extensive lab work experience will carryover? I'm not married to pharma, either. I have lot of interest in pharmacology/toxicology/biochem as well.

I'd rather not do QA/QC work, but if it comes with a large salary increase and a nice location I'm down to do it.
RTP, NC has a ton of chemist/biochem jobs.

That being said, what do you think about the Winston-Salem area of NC? My company may have some openings this year for synthetic chemists.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Your viscous sample is causing a change in the index of refraction, which is affecting your UV signal. Reduce concentration to get nice peaks.

Doesn't explain why it hasn't happened before. This sample isn't atypical, but this result is.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

RadioPassive posted:

I feel like I just came from where you are career-wise, and it went well.

BS in chem, 5 years in a research reagent manufacturing lab, no GMP, underpaid at $48k inside the city of Boston

How the hell did you get by on that little in Boston? I used to live in Boston so I know how expensive poo poo is... I make more than that in DFW and the cost of living is like 1/4 :( Why did you tolerate it for 5 years??

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

RadioPassive posted:

Doesn't explain why it hasn't happened before. This sample isn't atypical, but this result is.

Dik Hz posted what I was going to post. If you're running isocratic flow baselione dips like that are caused by a RI change as your sample injection comes out. As a chemist I really hate to ask this but are you sure this one sample didn't get accidentally doped with something or maybe you switched inputs? Or maybe your previous samples were doped and this one wasn't? Was it the same column, MP, detector, and what kind of OOS investigation have you conducted on the reagents and the instrument? Was it the same reagents and equipment? It's rare, but weird stuff can happen when you just switch suppliers even for good quality chromatography-grade chemicals.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

seacat posted:

Dik Hz posted what I was going to post. If you're running isocratic flow baselione dips like that are caused by a RI change as your sample injection comes out. As a chemist I really hate to ask this but are you sure this one sample didn't get accidentally doped with something or maybe you switched inputs? Or maybe your previous samples were doped and this one wasn't? Was it the same column, MP, detector, and what kind of OOS investigation have you conducted on the reagents and the instrument? Was it the same reagents and equipment? It's rare, but weird stuff can happen when you just switch suppliers even for good quality chromatography-grade chemicals.
I second this line of thought. If you changed lots of a running buffer component, you could see this as well. I had a bad lot of an amine that we were adding to a GPC HPLC running buffer and it caused the frits to clog on the intake to the pumps, leading to irreproducible elution times for my peaks due to fluctuating pressure. That was a nightmare to trouble-shoot, because I must have tried a dozen ways to prep the samples before figuring it out.

RadioPassive posted:

Have you run this exact sample before? The synthetic chemist may have hosed up, or the sample was made using a new reagent, or something else. I wouldn't immediately jump to saying the sample isn't hosed up. You obviously know a lot about chromatography (judging on your posts), so I'd rule out analyst-operator error.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 13, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
An unrelated question to those involved in the conversation above, from someone working primarily in social sciences:

How long did it take you to stop seeing "amine" as "anime"?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

seacat posted:

How the hell did you get by on that little in Boston? I used to live in Boston so I know how expensive poo poo is... I make more than that in DFW and the cost of living is like 1/4 :( Why did you tolerate it for 5 years??

Lived in Waltham at first because you're right, but I moved into a 3 bedroom in Boston for $1200/mo at the time. It went pretty well. A lot about the job was okay, a lot about the job was not okay.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

An unrelated question to those involved in the conversation above, from someone working primarily in social sciences:

How long did it take you to stop seeing "amine" as "anime"?

Both can lead you to smelling funky.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

seacat posted:

Ask every postdoc there. :suicide:

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Life is poo poo, you're a postdoc!

Guess what? It's poo poo afterwards too :ssh:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That's because life itself is poo poo.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Appachai posted:

Life is poo poo, you're a postdoc!

Guess what? It's poo poo afterwards too :ssh:
Academia is poo poo until you're a full tenured professor with a lifetime achievement grant.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dik Hz posted:

Academia is poo poo until you're a full tenured professor with a lifetime achievement grant.

:shepface:

I like to think there's somewhere inbetween but... yeah probably so. Things are looking up for now though despite being unbearably broke all the time compared to my friends.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's because life itself is poo poo.

-SomethingAwful Buddha

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
We really should have a Boston biotech meetup. Maybe somewhere around Kendall.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'd do that.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

RTP, NC has a ton of chemist/biochem jobs.

That being said, what do you think about the Winston-Salem area of NC? My company may have some openings this year for synthetic chemists.

Yeah, RTP and Charleston (family lives there and its nice) are going to be my first choices. It seems like all the Indeed postings for RTP are hidden behind hiring agencies or maybe I need to search each city individually.

And I am definitely interested in applying if you guys have any openings. Let me know how to keep touch with you. I'll be updating my resume this weekend or the next and I need to fatten up my LinkedIn profile.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

RadioPassive posted:

I'd do that.

I'd be game.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013
Is "Operational Excellence" (OE) a common thing in this industry? This has been the most perplexing thing since we started transitioning to corporate.

One day a group of obviously corporate people came into our lab. I was running a 5kg silica gel column and one of the ladies asked me what I was doing. I explained that I was purifying a compound and thought "how cute." A couple days later it turns out they were auditing us for efficiency and we were at 20% efficiency. Apparently, hopping between a giant never stopping column and a 22l rotovap in another room and writing a report/emailing clients is highly inefficient because it requires too much walking.

We wanted to make upper management happy so we spent a day sweeping our samples and reagents under the rug. One of our chemists spent a whole day making labels for our drawers. The next tour they were ecstatic about our improvements. Efficiency improvements like this are going to save us 800k this year! :suicide:

carnassials fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010

That Works posted:

I'd be game.

I'm thinking somewhere around Kendall, maybe 7pm on a work day.