Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

TheChirurgeon posted:

The old space marines weapon sprue had an autopistol on it. That may be your best bet.

Oh poo poo, I just checked with my friend and he still has a shitload of those. Good catch, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What is the painting crowd recommending for primers these days? I drove up from Norfolk to Milwaukee (moving) and forgot I had my paints/primers/finish in the trunk.

It's a much different temperature here

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I stand by Duplicolor Sandable Auto Primer.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Boon posted:

What is the painting crowd recommending for primers these days? I drove up from Norfolk to Milwaukee (moving) and forgot I had my paints/primers/finish in the trunk.

It's a much different temperature here

Vallejo primer. (Make sure its really is primer and not the primer colored paint they make for use with WW vehicles)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm a Rustoleum man, myself.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
No more rattle cans, no more skunked rattle cans. gently caress primers that go fuzzy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Krylon satin black primer is my go to. With how much of that stuff I used in 2015, I should consider buying stock in the company.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Someone leaked the 'Starter Army' bundle formations:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?415816-New-release-Bundles&p=7589123&viewfull=1#post7589123

quote:

SM
-pick a unit from the formation close to the captain,that unit can fire in the movement phase instead of moving (and then can still fire in the shooting phase)

Mechanicus
-pick an enemy unit within 18" of the dominus and within his LoS at the start of the shooting phase,all units from the formation repeat to hit against that unit for that phase

Tyr
-if the gargoyle are close to the Tyrant during the movement phase,you can immediatly remove them from the game and place them back in the same turn coming from deep strike.If they DS close to the warrior unit from the formation,they dont scatter

Necron
-when the scarabs and warrior units from the formation are destroyed,you place them back in game close to the overlord at the start of the next turn

Guard
-All infantry has 4+ cover while standing near the LR

Tau
-Pick a unit close to the ethereal,remove all the models of that unit save for one,then redeply all those models keeping cohesion with the model you left on the field.Not sure how often/when you can do it

Considering there is a Dread in the SM bundle, you could have a double-tapping pair of TLACs, and the Necrons apparently never die?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
GW chaos black worked well so far, but I know you guys hate giving GW money.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Thought you guys might like some breaking news from the UK.

Newsthump.com posted:

Warhammer players seize branch of Games Workshop

Protesters have occupied a branch of Games Workshop in protest at rules changes which mean they may lose their favourite characters. Described as ‘militant’ warhammer players, the group of 150 seized the Stevenage branch over New Year when it was lightly guarded and announced their intention to ‘kill or be killed’ in order to defend their expertly painted miniatures. Warhammer fans are known as a tight-knit and insular group who live in seclusion, shun outsiders and massively overreact to any perceived threat to their highly prized armies.

Recent rules updates to Warhammer are believed to have sparked the protests, with thousands of players expected to lose to prized heroes and years of effort in learning complex, byzantine rules exploit, and this is seen as another flareup in years of conflict between Games Workshop and their customers.

Calling themselves Aelf-Queda, the group have confirmed their willingness to stay for years, as they’ve now got loads of figures and paints which will keep them occupied pretty much indefinitely. Speaking to us through a pair of tin cans and a piece of string, Aelf-Queda member Simon Williams told us that the group had to take a “Hard Stand” over Games Workshop’s treatment of loyal customers.

“We’re calling on other groups to stand up and join us”, he said. “Especially anyone with a Chaos or Slaanesh army, as those bad boys can really tip things in your favour”.

“Why, no, I’ve never felt the loving touch of a woman, why do you ask?”

Games Workshop are reported to be ‘not that fussed’ by the protesters as they might not like the new rules but they’re still buying them.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Those Ultramarines look very nice with the metallic effects, love it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those formation bonuses are... weird.

Uroboros posted:

GW chaos black worked well so far, but I know you guys hate giving GW money.
I'm really tired of that stupid meme but Chaos Black spray costs like three times as much as a comparable can of black primer from anywhere else.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If those are real

Age of Emperor

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Derpstriking gargoyles is the formation tyranids needs, not the formation tyranids want (or need).

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

BULBASAUR posted:

If those are real

Age of Emperor

Yeah, I can't get to Warseer (and why would I want to?) but those sound like bullshit and also like something GW would happily poo poo out into their customer's open, quivering mouths.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

Those formation bonuses are... weird.

I'm really tired of that stupid meme but Chaos Black spray costs like three times as much as a comparable can of black primer from anywhere else.

Yeah, I know. I'm just there in the store trying to help them out, Hobby Lobby almost never has what I want, so gently caress them. The one time I did use their primer I made the mistake of using white...

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Did GW publish a mixed Cult Mechanicus/Imperial Guard detachment somewhere or did I imagine that? If so, does anyone know where it was published?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

KuangMkV posted:

Did GW publish a mixed Cult Mechanicus/Imperial Guard detachment somewhere or did I imagine that? If so, does anyone know where it was published?

They did but I am unsure where to find it, also where are the new White Scar and Raven Guard rules?

Anyway, thoughts on a banner for the Suzerain to proxy as either a chapter banner or standard of the emp? I have a Company Banner that I can magnetize, or a back pack banner Tigurius that I never used.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The White Scars and Raven Guard stuff is in the Kauyon supplement.

Looking at the Starter Pack formations, they really don't seem as bad as initially reported, mostly because they're really small. Take the SM one, for example: your formation is a Captain in Terminator armor, a Tac squad, and a Ven Dread (not a unit, a single model). The Captain has to be within 12" of the unit that you want to shoot in the Movement phase, so really that means that you're paying a lot of points for an HQ who's going to hang out in the backfield and not contribute a whole lot other than enabling the double tap.

The Necron one seems a little more gross, but it's still a pretty small list and having to redeploy within 3" of the Overlord could prove to be tricky.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
How exactly does the mixing and matching between codexs work? Can I basically take anything Imperial together as one big Army? Like marines/guard/mechanics/sisters all mixed together? Or are there limits.

I don't care about good/competitive, just what can be put on the table together. Oh god, wtf, I'm literally wanting to just collect some models to put on a table and find myself annoyed by wondering what rules apply... How did that happen?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cyclomatic posted:

How exactly does the mixing and matching between codexs work? Can I basically take anything Imperial together as one big Army? Like marines/guard/mechanics/sisters all mixed together? Or are there limits.

The way it works in current 40k:
* Your army consists of at least one Detachment, but can include any number so long as you have the points.
* Each Detachment consists of either a Force Org Chart (e.g. a Combined Arms Detachment) or a Formation (e.g. Skytalon).
* Some Formations consist of sub-formations (e.g. Gladius Strike Force).
* Most Detachments must be chosen from a single Faction (Codex) but there are exceptions (e.g. the one which combines both Mechanicus books with the Knights one).
* You pick one Detachment to be your Primary one, and your Warlord comes from that.
* If your army contains models from multiple Factions, you need to check on the Allies chart to see how they react to one another. Imperial forces are all Battle Brothers with each other so they count as one big happy family.

So, your Imperial Army could include:
* Imperial Guard Combined Arms Detachment (CAD) as a backbone.
* An Imperial Assassin (since they have a Detachment choice which consists of 1 Assassin)
* A Skittering Manpile
* Some Emo Angels as an Allied Detachment
* Whatever else fits into a relevant force org chart or detachment

Alternately:
* Go unbound!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

* Your army consists of at least one Detachment, but can include any number so long as you have the points.
* Each Detachment consists of either a Force Org Chart (e.g. a Combined Arms Detachment) or a Formation (e.g. Skytalon).
* Most Detachments must be chosen from a single Faction (Codex) but there are exceptions (e.g. the one which combines both Mechanicus books with the Knights one).
* You pick one Detachment to be your Primary one, and your Warlord comes from that.
* If your army contains models from multiple Factions, you need to check on the Allies chart to see how they react to one another. Imperial forces are all Battle Brothers with each other so they count as one big happy family.

* An Imperial Assassin (since they have a Detachment choice which consists of 1 Assassin)
* A Skittering Manpile

Alternately:
* Go unbound!

gently caress aaaaallllll of this poo poo.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zark the Damned posted:

Note that depending on the army you play the combinations goes from "unkillable army with rerolls to everything ever and all the free stuff" to "is able to take slightly more killa kans".

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LordAba posted:

Note that depending on the army you play the combinations goes from "unkillable army with rerolls to everything ever and all the free stuff" to "is able to take slightly more killa kans".

don't forget "has access to literally zero formations outside of event hand-outs or web exclusive dataslates and is basically hosed"

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Zark the Damned posted:

* A Skittering Manpile

Alternately:
* Go unbound!

Christ, this is bad. Why do they even pretend this is a game anymore? They openly don't care for it.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Christ, this is bad. Why do they even pretend this is a game anymore? They openly don't care for it.

WM/H has kinda fallen into being dogshit as a game that supports its model range right now. The radioactive dogshit GW rules are less of an opportunity cost I'm thinking, and GW is MUCH better on the hobby part. No other real choices for 28mm Army scale. Hobby game, when everyone's value of game is weak means hobby counts a lot. At least that is how I'm seeing things right now.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As we all know, making the best* models in the industry means that you make the worse** rules in the industry. It's like how artists are poo poo at math, why I don't have a girlfriend despite being a nice guy.

*looking at the recent stuff, not exactly the best anymore

**I've played a lot of games, and yeah it is one of the worse.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cyclomatic posted:

Oh god, wtf, I'm literally wanting to just collect some models to put on a table and find myself annoyed by wondering what rules apply... How did that happen?
Yes...yeeessssss. Feel the POWER of the Sigmar side flowing through you. Give in to your Decurion! Let go your Unbound!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It is but it isn't. It has one benefit in that there is an amazing amount of diversity within factions.

I have IG as a "base" and currently however I want to take it, I toss in some Inquisition, or maybe Cypher and a unit of chosen. Lately I've been using the following:

Guard CAD
Inquisitorial detachment focused on CC
Assassin in its own detachment

Even with the above, I still have the ability to mix and match more. Sisters? Knights? Grey Knights?

I can also go a different route, run the IG with Cypher and a unit of chosen. I can still legally summon and ally with daemons and Chaos, with a traitor faction.

IG are fantastic if you like changing things up all the time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The opportunity to mix and match armies with allies is super cool and allows for some really cool thematic poo poo, like all BuffaloChicken's stuff. I've been basing all my armies with the same basing so I can do just such a thing, and I might be able to at some point. It has a lot of potential for abuse, but if you're fortunate enough to play with likeminded people who won't play powergamey bullshit it's not really a problem. My biggest frustration with the rules as they are is that they're all over the place and if I wanted to run some armies I'd need to carry around half a dozen codices, supplements, dataslates, and so on with me. I stick with one, maybe two codices most of the time because of how unwieldy it can get.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Because he's a colossal moron, my brother says I can have most of his 40k stuff because he heard a rumor that GW is shutting down.

I read through about 300 new replies waiting with bated breath, to no avail. :sigh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

But if GW shuts down, won't their stuff become collector's goods by default?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Because he's a colossal moron, my brother says I can have most of his 40k stuff because he heard a rumor that GW is shutting down.

I read through about 300 new replies waiting with bated breath, to no avail. :sigh:

Idiot believes stupid Internet rumor, makes financially unwise decision. News at 11.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

As annoying and broken as some combinations are let us not forget other popular games like MTG suffer from innumerable broken deck builds if weren't for restricted lists and tournaments that greatly hamper what you can bring. There is like a hundred different ways to break that game, the only difference is they actively try to undo their past gently caress-ups while GW can't even manage something as simple as rules clarifications.

Even if GW bankrupted tomorrow wouldn't someone else buy the rights to 40k like a day later?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

T.G. Xarbala posted:

But if GW shuts down, won't their stuff become collector's goods by default?

None of this stuff is worth poo poo unless there's a game to back it up.

MAYBE unbuilt models of certain cool things would be a collector's item but I seriously doubt the market for used 40k stuff would get better.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
They're tiny objects of jewel-like wonder or w/e, and their value is inherent.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

None of this stuff is worth poo poo unless there's a game to back it up.

MAYBE unbuilt models of certain cool things would be a collector's item but I seriously doubt the market for used 40k stuff would get better.

You're right, but I can see some people of the mind that actual games to back up one's hobbyist gaming product are otiose in a niche.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uroboros posted:

As annoying and broken as some combinations are let us not forget other popular games like MTG suffer from innumerable broken deck builds if weren't for restricted lists and tournaments that greatly hamper what you can bring. There is like a hundred different ways to break that game, the only difference is they actively try to undo their past gently caress-ups while GW can't even manage something as simple as rules clarifications.

Actually, let's forget that other games are "innumerable broken" without restrictions because it doesn't help at all. Doesn't Wizards of the Coast hold tournaments, bless the formats, etc? Like you said, they actively rebalance and shake things up... Certainly more than Games Workshop, who actively removed themselves from that field.

In other words the two armies I play are Tyranids and Sisters.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LordAba posted:

Actually, let's forget that other games are "innumerable broken" without restrictions because it doesn't help at all. Doesn't Wizards of the Coast hold tournaments, bless the formats, etc? Like you said, they actively rebalance and shake things up... Certainly more than Games Workshop, who actively removed themselves from that field.

In other words the two armies I play are Tyranids and Sisters.

Tyranids are actually a bit of a bad example, as Games Workshop pretty much admitted that they hosed them in the last codex and did an apology tour of new awesome models and a decent codex revamp with a ton of Formations. They're still middle-tier but at least they've got a little something extra. Still no real answer for Gargantuan Creatures, but there's quite a few armies that are in a similar situation with that.

Whereas SistersAdepta Sororitas have received increasingly worse codices in more insulting formats as the years have gone on and haven't received a new model in... more than a decade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Games like MtG actually mitigate game-breaking elements because there's typically 1) a hard counter, and 2) the stars must line up exactly to execute it.

Playing card X and then Y might automatically win a game, but you need access to both cards, they need to be in your hand, you need the resources to play both, one must survive until you play the other, neither can be countered, etc.

• Locked thread