Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

nope.

it's also a synonym for "search for bugs or listening devices" but both meanings are part of the word.

So yes, Han did, to paraphrase, order Chewie to sweep the falcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are you seriously arguing that Chewie was doing chores

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hey, those chores were important, they couldn't use the Falcon again until after chewie had cleaned the toilets and made the beds

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I hope Lucas didn't intend the whole "the Jedi are the REAL bad guys" or the "the Republic had it coming" angle that is so prevalent in this thread and elsewhere. That would dampen my enjoyment of the PT.

Come on, did you see what the Republic was wearing? Plus, Republics shouldn't go walking around in Sithy neighborhoods late at night if they don't want to be taken over by a dark overlord.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dog hair in my sheets again gently caress

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

we ain't going anywhere until my weird silvery eating utensils are loving spotless chewie, loving SPOTLESS!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

kiimo posted:

Are you seriously arguing that Chewie was doing chores

I presumed "check out" in a mechanical sense. Rey had already told Han about two modifications made to the Falcon just by Unkar Plutt. Who knows what Ducaine or the Irvings had also done to it, or other damage the ship had sustained.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I remember sweep being said at some point, but I guess I won't know till it comes on video.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

the whole "the Jedi are the REAL bad guys"

I don't think anybody here has been saying that, per se. But then we're talking about films where Yoda is revealed to be the original commander of the Storm Troopers, a slave army.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i assumed han wasn't specific about what to "check out" because he didn't mean "for anything in specific" which is another way of saying "check it all the gently caress out man, just, like, make sure nothing at all is fucky"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

I remember sweep being said at some point, but I guess I won't know till it comes on video.

If it is, it's not in that exchange outside the ship on Takodana. Incidentally, Han tells Maz that Chewie is "working on the Falcon", again heavily implying some manner of mechanical work.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

this is all immaterial and a dumb aside, it doesn't matter what was or wasn't wrong with the Falcon, only that it was inappropriate to take the drat thing at that exact point in time.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

You know I really hope that Finn gets his hands on another lightsaber no matter what they do with him, having a non-force dude using one would be pretty boss.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do you think Han was pissed because it was like year 3000 Republic Era or something when he won the falcon and he dubbed it the millennium Falcon, and then he loving helps the rebels at Yavin and they rename the calendar BBY and ABY after the very battle he helped win and now it's like year 12 and his ship has a stupid name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

If it is, it's not in that exchange outside the ship on Takodana. Incidentally, Han tells Maz that Chewie is "working on the Falcon", again heavily implying some manner of mechanical work.

Chewie was dodging Maz

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I would like it if Luke instructed more than just one new Jedi in these new ones, but I wonder if they'd think it'd take away from Rey somehow.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I hope he's force sensitive, just not to the extent of Rey, and thus got overshadowed by her. Mostly because it would be cool to see how a sort of "wimpy" in the force dude gets by/fits into the scheme of things.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cnut the Great posted:

The best thing about Dex's Diner is the music playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpecPKuUYnE

It's like a theme from a bad Sega Genesis game.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Beeez posted:

I would like it if Luke instructed more than just one new Jedi in these new ones, but I wonder if they'd think it'd take away from Rey somehow.

The Jedi belong in the trashbin of history alongside the Sith. Don't try to put the Force users back under the Mosaic Law Jedi Code. Vader has atoned for their sins once and for all. Let Force users just be good people and do good things, they don't have to be weird space knights any more.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frackie Robinson posted:

The Jedi belong in the trashbin of history alongside the Sith. Don't try to put the Force users back under the Mosaic Law Jedi Code. Vader has atoned for their sins once and for all. Let Force users just be good people and do good things, they don't have to be weird space knights any more.

An elegant summation of the first 6 films.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Finn & Poe & BB-8 should all have prominent heroic scenes in the next 2 movies where they use the force.

Finn & poe's scene can be a 2-fer where they both use the force to heroically canoodle with each other

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope episode eight is like Big Trouble In Little China with Finn as Jack Burton and Rey as Wang Chi and Luke as Lo Pan

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

greatn posted:

I hope episode eight is like Big Trouble In Little China with Finn as Jack Burton and Rey as Wang Chi and Luke as Lo Pan

This would be a good thing. With Solo gone, my hope for Han and Leia being Nick and Nora Charles In Space is pretty much finished.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Frackie Robinson posted:

Let Force users just be good people and do good things, they don't have to be weird space knights any more.

I was glad to see that Rey still carried around her pistol as she went searching for Luke. I'd really like them to steer towards having the lightsaber be just another tool. It's nice to have, particularly against someone like Kylo Ren or that one stormtrooper, but you'd still use a blaster most of the time because it's easier.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Steve2911 posted:

Those lines have nothing to do with that screenshot.

Well since Quigon's apprentice basically kills that kid and steals his lightsaber, irony at it's finest. Well done George, Well done.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I hope Lucas didn't intend the whole "the Jedi are the REAL bad guys"

He very clearly intended the jedi to be evil from a certain point of view

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's a space fantasy series about a mystical order of knights who have magic powers and wield laser swords. That's what Star Wars is. Why does everyone want to turn Star Wars into some generic hard sci fi series? There's room for all different kinds of heroes in Star Wars, but Jedi and lightsabers are always going to be the nexus around which the rest of the mythos revolves. Otherwise it wouldn't be Star Wars anymore.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I hope Lucas didn't intend the whole "the Jedi are the REAL bad guys" or the "the Republic had it coming" angle that is so prevalent in this thread and elsewhere. That would dampen my enjoyment of the PT.

That wasn't his intention. His intention was to show that the Jedi were heroes who defended a Republic whose ideals were worth fighting for--but both institutions grew complacent with age and became blind to their own flaws, which led to their downfall.

But if you happen to be a person who believes violent revolution is preferable to the current liberal democratic status quo, then you're probably going to see things a bit differently. I don't believe George Lucas himself would subscribe to that view, though.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 8, 2016

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cnut the Great posted:

It's a space fantasy series about a mystical order of knights who have magic powers and wield laser swords. That's what Star Wars is. Why does everyone want to turn Star Wars into some generic hard sci fi series? There's room for all different kinds of heroes in Star Wars, but Jedi and lightsabers are always going to be the nexus around which the rest of the mythos revolves. Otherwise it wouldn't be Star Wars anymore.

But why do Jedi have to be limited to this one weapon? It's not even supported by the original trilogy, where Luke is more than happy to shoot someone if it's going to make his life easier.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

JohnSherman posted:

But why do Jedi have to be limited to this one weapon? It's not even supported by the original trilogy, where Luke is more than happy to shoot someone if it's going to make his life easier.

Lightabers are emblematic of both Star Wars and, within the films, the Jedi knights.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIQigWP-U4

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Hamill got to keep his ROTJ getup, and occasionally wore it out to the grocery store or gas station back in the day.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Gorelab posted:

I don't think the Jedi were supposed to be the real bad guys so much as a flawed organization that was falling from their teaching due to inertia and a lack of foresight.

Who cares what they were supposed to be, it is what they are shown to be.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 8, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JohnSherman posted:

This might partly be them wavering back and forth about how rare it is to see a lightsaber, how spread out the Jedi are, etc. Like when Obi-Wan takes that dude's arm off in the cantina folks go back to the business as usual but everyone gives a pretty visible :wtc: for a moment compared to when Han shoots Greedo until Obi-Wan turns his saber off. In the ANH it was a big deal whenever any of the lightsabers came out, but in ESB they're used more casually be they for combat or for gutting animals/undersides of AT-ATs in half a second flat. And like you say in general Luke uses whatever.

But this also retroactively comes from Obi-Wan's own POV where a lightsaber is a big deal elegant tool of honorable combat that we see take form when he guts and ignites Grievous with a blaster and is disgusted from his first look at graphic, unglamorous combat against a more humanoid enemy.

Going into EU stuff, in RotJ the Emperor respects that Luke constructed his own lightsaber from scratch, but in the EU they made it so that a Jedi has to construct their own lightsaber as like a final right of passage to become a Jedi Knight (I forget if they mention this in the prequels or if it's just dropped completely). But even without that, I figured if the Jedi are wiped out and he had to make one on his own then lightsabers aren't very easy to come back and super specialized.

So I don't think it was ever intended for Jedi to ONLY use lightsabers, but just that it's their trademark and not really til Episode VII where the right levels of budget/script/characters came together where a non-Jedi would be using one more casually.

One thing the old Tales of the Jedi (the ones KOTOR came from) played with, I mean it was never explicit but it ended up so that often the Jedi all focused on using the force for defensive stuff and mostly using lightsabers and a pistol to directly hurt folks, while Sith would use the force to hurt people directly and would help channel that via a variety of amulet type things and ancient Sith artifacts like an ornate gauntlet or an odd medallion, creating a bunch of different effects and stuff. It was more powerful overall but much more chaotic and difficult to control to balance it out.

The force ghost thing was interesting too, Jedi could force ghost it up wherever like we see in the OT, but if some badass Sith guy on par with Yoda got killed instead they'd be more like a traditional ghost, like they could only really appear to a force user near the place where they were killed if said person was actively seeking them out and trying to feel their presence but once a person go their attention they could actually move stuff around/train them in stuff/etc. with the force too.

I don't think any Star Wars movie needs its characters' weapon choices to be super codified and restricted in any way but having that loose pattern and contrast to how the Sith and Jedi worked made for some nice variety. It also worked with the Buddhist overtones of the series, with a Sith's spirit being bound to physical places and lethal objects they were attached to in life while the Jedi would embrace nothingness and in doing so could be wherever whenever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 8, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
wat i wanna know is where are all the black market lightsabers

i know the proprietor of a certain space johnny rockets who may have the answer...

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

JohnSherman posted:

"Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Luke uses a blaster in A New Hope and Empire because he isn't a Jedi yet. That's actually what his use of a blaster symbolizes. A blaster is a purely offensive weapon. It's the weapon of the unenlightened. It's a vulgar tool of aggression.

Once Luke becomes a Jedi, he sets his blaster aside and relies solely on his lightsaber. A lightsaber can be used for defense just as easily as it can be used for attack; you can deflect blaster bolts with your lightsaber all day long and never harm a single living soul if you don't want to. It's the embodiment of the Jedi philosophy of balance and conscientiousness. It's a mystical artifact full of spiritual significance, like Excalibur.

When Luke throws his lightsaber away at the end of Return of the Jedi, he's throwing away what is literally his only weapon. Symbolically, he's throwing away his life. That's what Obi-Wan means in Episode II when he says, "This weapon is your life." Without his lightsaber to protect him, a Jedi can be struck dead as easily as anyone else. When a Jedi dies, his lightsaber can be taken from his dead body and used for evil ends by people like General Grievous. When Luke loses his father's lightsaber on Cloud City, it's a sign that his childhood is over and that he must now forge his own identity by constructing his own personalized lightsaber.

It makes sense to have novices and half-Jedi like Ezra and Kanan from Rebels use blasters, but once you become a true Jedi, you've got to put that stuff away. Making a blaster a standard tool of the Jedi would be like rewriting the legend of King Arthur so that he occasionally switches out Excalibur for his trusty Luger. It's the kind of thing that might strike some people as badass, but it makes a total hash of the symbolism.

What does King Arthur need a pistol for? What does it signify? How does it enrich the legend? Why are we even talking about the idea in the first place?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cnut the Great posted:

"Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Luke uses a blaster in A New Hope and Empire because he isn't a Jedi yet. That's actually what his use of a blaster symbolizes. A blaster is a purely offensive weapon. It's the weapon of the unenlightened. It's a vulgar tool of aggression.

Once Luke becomes a Jedi, he sets his blaster aside and relies solely on his lightsaber. A lightsaber can be used for defense just as easily as it can be used for attack; you can deflect blaster bolts with your lightsaber all day long and never harm a single living soul if you don't want to. It's the embodiment of the Jedi philosophy of balance and conscientiousness. It's a mystical artifact full of spiritual significance, like Excalibur.

When Luke throws his lightsaber away at the end of Return of the Jedi, he's throwing away what is literally his only weapon. Symbolically, he's throwing away his life. That's what Obi-Wan means in Episode II when he says, "This weapon is your life." Without his lightsaber to protect him, a Jedi can be struck dead as easily as anyone else. When a Jedi dies, his lightsaber can be taken from his dead body and used for evil ends by people like General Grievous. When Luke loses his father's lightsaber on Cloud City, it's a sign that his childhood is over and that he must now forge his own identity by constructing his own personalized lightsaber.

It makes sense to have novices and half-Jedi like Ezra and Kanan from Rebels use blasters, but once you become a true Jedi, you've got to put that stuff away. Making a blaster a standard tool of the Jedi would be like rewriting the legend of King Arthur so that he occasionally switches out Excalibur for his trusty Luger. It's the kind of thing that might strike some people as badass, but it makes a total hash of the symbolism.

What does King Arthur need a pistol for? What does it signify? How does it enrich the legend? Why are we even talking about the idea in the first place?

Point it on the deck POINT IT AT THE DECK!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

" Without his lightsaber to protect him, a Jedi can be struck dead as easily as anyone else.

Except all the crazy magic poo poo that they can do

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Personally I like to assume that the Jedi order (and by extension) Yoda actually were right about everything they said about emotional attachment leading to the dark side and stuff, because that would open the door up for Vader not actually having been redeemed at all, because it turns out that throwing a fit and saving the life of your own flesh and blood in a moment of rage when you care not a lick for the life of anyone else doesn't actually make you a great person, even if the dude you are killed is like just really god damned evil holy cow

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This talk about Luke's lightsaber reminded me of something.

Luke lost his father's blue lightsaber at the end of ESB, right? That's why he has to build his own green lightsaber that he uses in RotJ (aside from the thematic reasons, of course).

So exactly which lightsaber does Rey find in Maz's truckstop? It was blue, so it couldn't have been the one Luke built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Schwarzwald posted:

This talk about Luke's lightsaber reminded me of something.

Luke lost his father's blue lightsaber at the end of ESB, right? That's why he has to build his own green lightsaber that he uses in RotJ (aside from the thematic reasons, of course).

So exactly which lightsaber does Rey find in Maz's truckstop? It was blue, so it couldn't have been the one Luke built.

drat, will we ever figure out this mystery? I hope they release an separate movie to answer this...

• Locked thread