Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What an idiot. Why not have the friend do it from start to finish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
im going to buy a ticket. I told everybody around me so I could hear the "MATH TAX" spiel.

it was worth the $2 just for that alone

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Took me 8 minutes to get through the line at the local gas station because idiots were buying tickets hand over fist

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
If everyone in America joined a pool to buy tickets, and split the winnings, everyone would get $2.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Congrats to Powerball winner Martin Shekreli!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Saying it may hit a 1 billion payout.

Gonna take meh winnings and buy the skoal factory.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
whoever wins is giong to get murdred and thier family murderd and lose all theyare friends

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reminds me of when the Monopoly promotion that McDonald's had for years was rigged by people working for a marketing firm, and one guy and all his friends claimed all the top prizes for like 5 years straight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_Monopoly#Fraud

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

tomstuart posted:

whoever wins is giong to get murdred and thier family murderd and lose all theyare friends

Yes, that is the normal reaction to someone getting a bunch of money. See any celebrity, ever.

They just cry themselves to sleep on their giant pile of money.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope I win the lottery so I can afford an Oculus Rift

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Moridin920 posted:

i hope some billionaire buys a ticket on a lark and wins and takes it all and the poor masses just rip them to shreds

on live TV

This dude used to be my neighbor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Wagner

We used to see him buy lotto tickets at the C-Store next to our building. We were all sure he was going to win.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tomstuart posted:

With 100's of millions of dollars you can hire and arm a literal army to keep yourself and loved ones safe.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

When I win I'm gonna buy every goon an oculus rift, but no computer to run it with.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Let's be honest here: with this big a take, there's no way a Crew hasn't already assembled to make the heist. I mean, based on all the movies and gta games, 700 mil is Def enough to kill for.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If I win I'm gonna buy a pack of gum with a hundred every day for the rest of my life

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
How many gumballs can I buy with the winnings?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
if I win i will give one poster 1 million dollars. toxx me

with 500 million in the bank thats about 15 day's interest lololl

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
That guy lives around here and we've been getting news updates about it for like the last year. It's awesome because they only caught him because he got greedy and went for the 10+ million jackpot but like every few weeks they keep tying him to various lottery winners around the country. Like next week it'll be "oh by the way, it looks like he rigged 3 100k jackpots in Maryland in 2005 as well".

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Reminds me of when the Monopoly promotion that McDonald's had for years was rigged by people working for a marketing firm, and one guy and all his friends claimed all the top prizes for like 5 years straight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_Monopoly#Fraud

I worked at mcdonalds for 2 monopoly seasons and park place (2nd blue piece at the end of the board) was easily the most common peice they printed with boardwalk (very last blue peice before go) being ultra rare and the meaningful one to get for the million dollars

People would sperg the hell out because they got park place and buy a lot of food because they thought they were super close to winning

Also I peeled close to 150+ pieces each year because I was bored or someone left it and got a pretty good amount of free food tickets that I handed out or used on my own

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VendaGoat posted:

How many gumballs can I buy with the winnings?

You can buy the gumball factory and live like Willy Wonka.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bill Barber posted:

That guy lives around here and we've been getting news updates about it for like the last year. It's awesome because they only caught him because he got greedy and went for the 10+ million jackpot but like every few weeks they keep tying him to various lottery winners around the country. Like next week it'll be "oh by the way, it looks like he rigged 3 100k jackpots in Maryland in 2005 as well".

Why are they drawing lottery numbers via computer anyway? Don't the big ones still use ping pong balls? Not that that can't be rigged, but its a hell of a lot tougher.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

You can buy the gumball factory and live like Willy Wonka.

I can finally live my dream of abusing and maiming children in horrific ways! :peanut:

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

MrChupon posted:

Why are they drawing lottery numbers via computer anyway? Don't the big ones still use ping pong balls? Not that that can't be rigged, but its a hell of a lot tougher.

Many places have gone to RNG using computers starting about a decade ago. This is simply done for cost. Why pay for a camera crew, the announcers, machine mechanics, and other on site employees when you could save a million or more per year by contracting to a computer and security firm. This is great for the owners of the lotteries to make higher profits but holy crap do they not understand computers in general. They literally trust whoever they pay and don't bother auditing the code being used in most cases, which also saves on costs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Imo the issue with that is there's not really such a thing as a truly random number generator on a computer. It's always based on some algorithm

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Imo the issue with that is there's not really such a thing as a truly random number generator on a computer. It's always based on some algorithm

well they tend to seed it so at least its based off time passing so its mostly close to random.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wasn't it Everquest that based its RNG partly on the temperature or a randomly chosen area of the world?
Sounds like an over-complicated pet project for some coder.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

First time I've ever heard that, would be interested to read about it

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Moridin920 posted:

Yea but it can be based on conditions that are practically impossible to know about if done right. That's the entire premise of encryption.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
these exist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_random_number_generator

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Inzombiac posted:

Wasn't it Everquest that based its RNG partly on the temperature or a randomly chosen area of the world?
Sounds like an over-complicated pet project for some coder.

Yeah, but how do they randomly pick the area of the world :tinfoil:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Yeah, but how do they randomly pick the area of the world :tinfoil:

Highest temperature obviously. :rolleyes:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VendaGoat posted:

I can finally live my dream of abusing and maiming children in horrific ways! :peanut:

Yeah and since you're rich you can't go to jail!!!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's gonna get to a billion. I will win on Saturday

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm gonna play again and if I win 1 billion I will legitimately give away $10k at a time to random posters on these forums for making funny posts that make me laugh. I will do this at least 500 times.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Black Baby Goku posted:

It's gonna get to a billion. I will win on Saturday
Good luck goon.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
If I win I will pay lowtax to make a special subforum that only me and my forum friends are allowed to post in. It will be very selective.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Can I come along?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One Billion Dollars (yes I know you're looking at a quarter of that once everyone takes their cut) is such an obscene amount of money.

You'd have to spend something like 5k a day from the day you were born to spend it all. No wait, the interest would out-pace it. You couldn't give it away fast enough.
Someone make Brewster's Billions and see a man die of a stroke.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

No. 6 posted:

Can I come along?

Yes, anything for a Prisoner fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

No. 6 posted:

I'm gonna play again and if I win 1 billion I will legitimately give away $10k at a time to random posters on these forums for making funny posts that make me laugh. I will do this at least 500 times.

What if we just empty quote you

• Locked thread