Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
They were poked, prodded, manipulated and trained by the RCMP for 4 months.

I think if it took one day, I'd have no sympathy for them. If it took 10 years, we'd all probably agree that they're victims. Maybe the question really is: How long does a developmentally delayed ex junkie need to resist RCMP terrorism entrapment before they deserve our sympathy?

I think 4 months is on the sympathy side for me but we're obviously all a little different and that's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Yeah, I don't know why I'm so drawn to comment on this topic and it feels vaguely distasteful to be repeatedly emphasizing how little I care about another human being so I'm gonna drop it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Getting a junkie to do... well, anything, is incredibly loving easy. A thousand push-ups in the rain for five bucks or blow up a building, same diff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think one thing we can agree on is that the RCMP loving suck.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jfood posted:

Getting a junkie to do... well, anything, is incredibly loving easy. A thousand push-ups in the rain for five bucks or blow up a building, same diff.

Basically in this scenario Jesse Pinkman is the RCMP and the shovel is a pressure cooker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3e1F1a0Hg

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

THC posted:

I repeat:

And again:

This is coming from a professor of political science, at an accredited university. You see, the NDP didn't really win the May 5th 2015 Albertan election. I mean they did, but

I loving hate the Sun and the Herald.

What a worthless transparent organization Postmedia is.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

THC posted:

This is coming from a professor of political science, at an accredited university.

This casts doubt on the quality of education in that department at that university.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If the RCMP approached a actual known hit man, and enticed him to murder someone, no one would bat an eye when the guy walked because it is open and shut entrapment. They probably wouldn't feel a lot of sympathy for the guys legal difficulties though.

I guess it is different when the RCMP find a retarded dude muttering about how he could totally have been a real hit man if his grades were better, plan out every detail of the murder for him, house him for a couple of months, buy him a gun and then finally get annoyed that he isn't taking this murder seriously enough.

"Listen buddy, I am paying you to murder this dude. Why does your plan seem to involve a moose catapult? I don't think your taking this very seriously so here is a gun." - A reasonable conversation for an undercover RCMP officer to have

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Nope, they should be locked up forever. In fact they shouldn't have even wasted time and money going through the inefficient process of radicalizing them first. They should have just immediately charged them with terrorism the instant they said anything out of line. You got a problem with that, citizen?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
For CI.

Canadian war vet faces court martial over rude remark
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/wade-pear-court-martial-1.3393303

I think it is safe to say that Pear's observations have been proven to be 100% correct.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Math You posted:

I think it is safe to say that Pear's observations have been proven to be 100% correct.

What are these, specifically?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Alberta's suicide rate is also well above Ontario's, during the boom years. The Alberta advantage indeed.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

This isn't a special story. Never mind terrorism or the flavour of the week. I used to work with developmentally delayed children who were actively targeted by gangs in BC because they make excellent enforcers. If you are fundamentally incapable of knowing right from wrong, it's not hard to recruit you as a patsy for a beating, intimidation, rape or murder. Often this indoctrination does take weeks, months, or years. It's how you get the loyal foot soldiers, and it happens all the drat time.

We're talking past one another. Should the RCMP have wasted these resources on this couple? Of course not! PT6A, Helsing, their opponents, almost everyone in this thread agrees on this. We also agree that it would be better if we spent those same resources on prevention and treatment. Great! We are chronically under funding mental health services in this country, against all evidence that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This isn't a new problem. It's with us because we are so quick to cut treatments and funding, and slow to implement new services without the correct motivation.

Castigate the RCMP, they deserve it. Now propose alternatives. And propose how the funding will be obtained across society without resorting to fear mongering. Good loving luck. Anyone have a solution?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Brannock posted:

What are these, specifically?

The dude is pretty clearly a pussy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jordan7hm posted:

The worst thing these two idiots have done is forced this thread to talk about them once a month with everyone repeating the position they clarified the last time we talked about them.

e: here's a criminal thing that really bothers me.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6217431-former-harper-drummer-sentenced-on-sex-charges/

This piece of poo poo only got 2 years.

and THIS piece of poo poo Ottawa Sun reporter tweeted the following about the sentencing

Ex-PM Stephen Harper's former drummer Phillip Nolan has been sentenced to TWO YEARS in jail for tryst with then-13-yo girl student. #ottnews

Van cat months.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

CBC posted:

As the Liberal government gets to work on its campaign pledge to legalize marijuana, the former police chief of Toronto will be taking a lead role.

Last month, Bill Blair was named as one of two parliamentary secretaries to the minister of justice. Sources tell CBC News he's been assigned to handle the pot file.

Blair's new role fits with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's attempts to frame the issue during the election campaign.

The Conservatives tried to use Trudeau's legalization stance to paint him as a lightweight or even dangerous, with last-minute ads in Punjabi and Chinese newspapers suggesting Trudeau supported selling marijuana to children.

In contrast, Trudeau pitched marijuana legalization as a way of protecting children and stopping criminals.

"What is very clear right now is that Mr. Harper's current approach is making marijuana too easy to access for our kids and at the same time funding street crime, organized gangs and gun runners," Trudeau said at a campaign stop in Quebec City in September.

When he was police chief, Blair seemed to support at least one call to legalize the drug. In October 2014, the Centre for Addictions and Mental Health (CAMH) came out in favour of legalization of marijuana, combined with strict regulation.

At the time, Blair told reporters that it wasn't up to police to make the law, but he was "very encouraged by the public health approach advocated by CAMH."

It seems that now he will get the chance to help make the new marijuana laws. There are many outstanding questions about how the Liberal plan would work, including where pot would be sold, how it would be taxed and what happens to the profits.

Its happening?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

RedFlag posted:

This isn't a special story. Never mind terrorism or the flavour of the week. I used to work with developmentally delayed children who were actively targeted by gangs in BC because they make excellent enforcers. If you are fundamentally incapable of knowing right from wrong, it's not hard to recruit you as a patsy for a beating, intimidation, rape or murder. Often this indoctrination does take weeks, months, or years. It's how you get the loyal foot soldiers, and it happens all the drat time.

We're talking past one another. Should the RCMP have wasted these resources on this couple? Of course not! PT6A, Helsing, their opponents, almost everyone in this thread agrees on this. We also agree that it would be better if we spent those same resources on prevention and treatment. Great! We are chronically under funding mental health services in this country, against all evidence that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This isn't a new problem. It's with us because we are so quick to cut treatments and funding, and slow to implement new services without the correct motivation.

Castigate the RCMP, they deserve it. Now propose alternatives. And propose how the funding will be obtained across society without resorting to fear mongering. Good loving luck. Anyone have a solution?

We could start with a coherent provincial health care strategy in one of our territories/provinces that destigmatizes mental illness, establishes a dignified and practical inpatient mental health care program for people who need it, and liaises with other branches of the health care system to identify people at risk and proactively get them the care they need - which does not necessarily mean committal - before they start building poo poo rockets. But good luck selling the idea of humane, state-run mental health care institutions to a generation who remembers deinstitutionalization for the objectively good idea it was at the time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's already happened, basically. I was at a new year's party at a friend's cottage and out of the 16 people there, I'd say half of them had weed of some kind with them. These are all young professionals as well, lawyers, finance types.

Edibles, weed chocolate, the ol' smokable variety, everything was there. I don't partake anymore but most did.

It's very easy to get, cops give no fucks anymore, government might as well make some money off of an easy sell.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

It's already happened, basically. I was at a new year's party at a friend's cottage and out of the 16 people there, I'd say half of them had weed of some kind with them. These are all young professionals as well, lawyers, finance types.

Edibles, weed chocolate, the ol' smokable variety, everything was there. I don't partake anymore but most did.

It's very easy to get, cops give no fucks anymore, government might as well make some money off of an easy sell.

Weed is de facto legal at the moment since most police departments have given up trying to enforce the current law but right now the money is untaxed, the product is unregulated, a lot of the profits end up with illegal criminal organizations, and the law still being on the books gives police a piece of authority that they can use to harass people for other things, which generally targets minorities more than white people (police can justify harassment by saying they smelled weed, for example). It's still not a good situation to be in and I'm glad it will be legalized. That being said, CI is absolutely right in saying that this should really not be the #1 issue or priority of the new government or of the Canadian people. "Hey, the country may be nosediving into an economic crash and all our politicians are saying is 'jump faster', but at least we can get high when we're unemployed" is really not a healthy way to view the country and its political climate.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Arabian Jesus posted:

Its happening?

It's happening!

I don't much like Blair being in charge of it, but I like seeing movement in this area.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Beer and Liquor is used to keep the population at a mentally regressive level. Wouldn't want the serfs to be using psychedelics and opening their minds. They might figure out that the rich don't have their best interests in mind!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Fried Watermelon posted:

Beer and Liquor is used to keep the population at a mentally regressive level. Wouldn't want the serfs to be using psychedelics and opening their minds. They might figure out that the rich don't have their best interests in mind!

You are trying to be ironic but what you say is actually true.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

jm20 posted:

You are trying to be ironic but what you say is actually true.

I am actually not being ironic.

I have a thin veneer of sarcasm/irony to dull the pain.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
As announced earlier we are just rushing to pull our fighter jets out of the war on ISIS... soon... maybe

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian-new-years-airstrikes-1.3387459

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

flakeloaf posted:

We could start with a coherent provincial health care strategy in one of our territories/provinces that destigmatizes mental illness, establishes a dignified and practical inpatient mental health care program for people who need it, and liaises with other branches of the health care system to identify people at risk and proactively get them the care they need - which does not necessarily mean committal - before they start building poo poo rockets. But good luck selling the idea of humane, state-run mental health care institutions to a generation who remembers deinstitutionalization for the objectively good idea it was at the time.

I've seen friends and family go through CAMH and it made me realize that mental healthcare in Canada is basically a fantasy for the people who need it most. Slots are incredibly limited, wait times go on for months (to get into programs that only last days or weeks) and there are huge numbers of administrative hassles you have to go through (forms to be signed, appointments that you lose if you're even a second late and which will take forever to reschedule) which mean that people experiencing mental distress or drug dependency are very unlikely to be able to jump through the hoops.

You could already go a long way toward fixing that system just by making mental healthcare and drug rehab available to anyone who wants it for as long as they need it. Make it so patients can leave whenever they want but ensure they'll always have a place when they come back.

How you sell the public on that is a different question. I would say mostly you don't. You sell the public on a broader program of populist reforms and sort of smuggle anti-poverty and mental healthcare stuff in along with a bundle of more universal and inclusive programs that working class and middle class people would benefit from.

The truth is that most policies don't need to be sold individually as long as the party advancing them has a decent amount of support and can implement the policy competently. Harper got away with all kinds of deeply unpopular policies by knowing how to introduce them and knowing how to distract people when necessary.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Helsing posted:

I've seen friends and family go through CAMH and it made me realize that mental healthcare in Canada is basically a fantasy for the people who need it most. Slots are incredibly limited, wait times go on for months (to get into programs that only last days or weeks) and there are huge numbers of administrative hassles you have to go through (forms to be signed, appointments that you lose if you're even a second late and which will take forever to reschedule) which mean that people experiencing mental distress or drug dependency are very unlikely to be able to jump through the hoops.

You could already go a long way toward fixing that system just by making mental healthcare and drug rehab available to anyone who wants it for as long as they need it. Make it so patients can leave whenever they want but ensure they'll always have a place when they come back.

How you sell the public on that is a different question. I would say mostly you don't. You sell the public on a broader program of populist reforms and sort of smuggle anti-poverty and mental healthcare stuff in along with a bundle of more universal and inclusive programs that working class and middle class people would benefit from.

The truth is that most policies don't need to be sold individually as long as the party advancing them has a decent amount of support and can implement the policy competently. Harper got away with all kinds of deeply unpopular policies by knowing how to introduce them and knowing how to distract people when necessary.

I did a consultation at CAMH (had to wait months) and then waited 10 more months for another appointment, where they revealed to me that'd they'd lost my folder and I had to start the process over again. A fantasy is goddamn right.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait until rob Ford is elected mayor again. gently caress you Toronto

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
youre a funny guy, CI, i like you. thats why im going ot kill you last

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

I can't wait until rob Ford is elected mayor again. gently caress you Toronto

He's going to die before the next mayoral election.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

jm20 posted:

He's going to die before the next mayoral election.

inshallah

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It'll be what Toronto deserves

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Arabian Jesus posted:

Its happening?

This all but guarantees whatever they come up with is going to be loving terrible lmao

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
He has liposarcoma of the bladder.

Fatcancer of the pissoir.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just imagine, Rob Ford leading the city of the leafs and good ol' Dougie heading up a revitalized conservative party, o Canada!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Hes also lost a bunch of weight recently, the recent picture below is from a 'generic ontario hospital' by the looks of it

https://twitter.com/TorontoRobFord/status/684807306425593857

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Helsing posted:

I'd say that you sell those services to the public on the basis of cost avoidance. ER visits are hundreds of dollars a pop; hospital stays are $1600/day. Hell, even operating a shelter costs about $50 per night per bed, which if you're counting is substantially more expensive than just giving every homeless person an apartment.

Providing adequate and easily accessed mental health and addictions services saves money on health care, policing, corrections and social services.* That's logic that I'd hope even the most hardened fiscal conservative could get behind.

*Realistically budgets don't actually go down in the first years after instituting better mental health or housing programs. What DOES happen is that there's a drop in over utilization meaning that service quality improves for the public at large. Hence the emphasis on cost avoidance rather than cost savings.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Dude is dying from cancer and looks healthier than ever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People aren't rational, specially so called "economic conservatives". You'd think you could sell better mental health to them with proven savings, but it's not about them. You have to take into account the "Calvinist ick factor". You can prove it will save money and be both a social an economic good, but it's still "giving homeless people free stuff! When I was depressed I had to pay a fortune on therapy! All I need to do is move to a tent city and smoke a bunch of crack and I get free stuff????"

No matter how good the policy is, a person below you on the economic ladder getting "free stuff" is always going to get people mad. Unless that free stuff is prison and court time, that's ok because it's a punishment, it's unpleasant. They'd rather a mentally ill homeless addict cost society 100k while being punished or made to suffer than the person costing society 50k a year but some how bettering them selves. They will outright admit this. It's not that they don't trust the numbers or the benefits of the program, they're just morally opposed. "It's just not right to reward people like that..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

jm20 posted:

Hes also lost a bunch of weight recently, the recent picture below is from a 'generic ontario hospital' by the looks of it

https://twitter.com/TorontoRobFord/status/684807306425593857

I'm surprised his picture wasn't taken with the Toronto Sun instead.