Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The Cheaters are on sale right now for like 4.4m Cbills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Skoll posted:

The Cheaters are on sale right now for like 4.4m Cbills.
Yeah, and I'm working on saving for my second one. But having +30% cbills in a mech you're going to drop in a ton is nice.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Skoll posted:

All the steam packs are terrible deals.

The light one is probably the least bad of them at least.

If we're comparing to the 20 dollar origins pack, it comes with three mechs of which one is bonused, and no MC, cbills or premium time. The marauder one has a month of premium but no cbill bonused mech, MC or cbills.

The 30% bonus is not a huge thing imo (most people that play(ed) long term tend to use lots of mechs, unless you're mint frog), but the MC is ~6 bucks and the premium time 12, although bundling tends to undervalue that. The performance packs were on sale for 20% off fairly recently however. If you're going to buy something like this, make sure you're getting the most out of your money and not buying extra bonuses that you don't actually want/need.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Vorenus posted:

Eight points of structure isn't worth losing 6 points from your alpha. As a Cheetah, you never go for fair fights. Most lights will run away from you, and you'll develop a sense for when and how far to chase. The ones that don't run away are either dumb or capable of klling you/hurting you badly before they go down. Those get dragged back to your team. Most of your Cheating should be scouting and shooting butts, the only time you should be circle-strafing is during a brawl when the enemy has much heavier problems to focus on; the alpha is incredibly hot but if you're poking from the side/rear it works quite well. Seismic also helps immensely for knowing when to run run run.

tl;dr Cheetah is for poking butts, not extended fights. You can also set secondary fire groups of 3/3 or arm/torso lasers to help manage your heat.

I dunno man. I think I got the Cheetah figured out. EDIT: That sounded harsh, basically I've tried both and we're splitting hairs. I do play the way you described, though. I am a butt poking sonofabitch.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 8, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Endbuster posted:

I dunno man. I think I got the Cheetah figured out. EDIT: That sounded harsh, basically I've tried both and we're splitting hairs. I do play the way you described, though. I am a butt poking sonofabitch.

You made me curious, so I had to check something.

Small sample size, admittedly, but the Spider 5V's ability to just "nope" out of a fight it can't win is pretty great.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is the enforcer a bad robot? I like the look of the UAC one

No, the Enforcer is a good robot. It's not amazing or by any means OP, but they have good quirks and good hitboxes and can roll damage well. Their biggest issue is that they can't go full asymmetrical with a shield side as you're either presenting your AC or your lasers, or in the UAC variant one of your UACs. This isn't condemning, it just means you need to focus on supporting your heavies (which isn't an issue as it can get up to 81kph easy), firing when you're not being fired upon, and torso twisting and ducking out behind the weight if you start getting shot at.

If you just follow the Timberwolves around you will do shockingly good. I was loving floored by how well I half drunkenly performed in them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skoll posted:

All the steam packs are terrible deals.

They're actually not, by MWO standards. The Cheater is pure dirty love and will spurt hot cash into your account basically forever, and the 3L is a solid OG performer. You get a bunch of MC for patterns etc and a month of premium time.

I mean it's still like 3 games of money for a few minor improvements in an F2P game, but comparatively it's fine.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Endbuster posted:

That's impressive, if it's working that well for you ignore me and keep doing your thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm just now realizing you get rewards for faction rep. Would just joining random CW matches get it?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Nuebot posted:

So I'm just now realizing you get rewards for faction rep. Would just joining random CW matches get it?

Yes, but you need some lucky rear end drops to get anywhere in CW if you aren't in a pre-made. It's an absolute slog that you only do for mechbays at the moment. You will always earn a couple faction points, but 90% of the time it's 30 minutes of a pre-made 12 man destroying a group of pugs. It's okay to do for the first mech bay and maybe the second, but you really need people to drop with if you want to make it tolerable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Repo Man posted:

Yes, but you need some lucky rear end drops to get anywhere in CW if you aren't in a pre-made. It's an absolute slog that you only do for mechbays at the moment. You will always earn a couple faction points, but 90% of the time it's 30 minutes of a pre-made 12 man destroying a group of pugs. It's okay to do for the first mech bay and maybe the second, but you really need people to drop with if you want to make it tolerable.

Bummer. I guess I'll wait until another group starts up then.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
If you are WoL and interested in CW

I organized a few CW drops shortly after Christmas on a whim, and after a few 12 man WoL drops, we made bank. With a full 12 man premade, we get bumped to the top of any attack queue, so after 5-6 min of queue time and 15 min of playing, we were making 600k-1.5mill per round.

I will be attempting to do the same this weekend, Saturday, sometime in the early afternoon PST. If you like any of these things;

11 assaults marching behind a ghost dad
Yellbosses who know what they're doing (maybe) and people who listen (preferred)
12 man light swarms murdering entire pubbie assault brigades
Maybe map games?
Tons of cash

Join the fun! If you need help with dropdecks, ask away! We don't have any cunning strats for maximizing dropdeck cohesion by leveraging synergistic dynamic communication paradigms, so bring whatevs.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Takkaryx posted:

I organized a few CW drops shortly after Christmas on a whim, and after a few 12 man WoL drops, we made bank. With a full 12 man premade, we get bumped to the top of any attack queue, so after 5-6 min of queue time and 15 min of playing, we were making 600k-1.5mill per round.

I will be attempting to do the same this weekend, Saturday, sometime in the early afternoon PST. If you like any of these things;

Yellbosses who know what they're doing (maybe) and people who listen (preferred)
Maybe map games?
Tons of cash

Join the fun! If you need help with dropdecks, ask away! We don't have any cunning strats for maximizing dropdeck cohesion by leveraging synergistic dynamic communication paradigms, so bring whatevs.

boss, i need money so I will be there with bells on

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
How's the Mauler? Is it a good robot?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Takkaryx posted:

Maybe map games?
Tons of cash

early afternoon PST? i hope that doesn't conflict with the goon inhouse thing...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Takkaryx posted:

Maybe map games?
Tons of cash

I'll try to be there depending on timezones. I live in backwards land.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Thronde posted:

How's the Mauler? Is it a good robot?

Yeah, it's good? Not amazing, though one is certainly stunning. It's a little like the Banshee in that its best actual builds aren't what you would expect. blackdog runs a 5xAC5 build that is absolutely ludicrous. Like, stupidly good. If you can make that work for variants it will probably sing for you, but the conventional builds aren't very good.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Today I learned two things:
  1. The Adder flamer can be removed now???
  2. An Adder with two Clan UAC/5 is short-lived but intense Oh my god it can fit a 20 :getin:

Domed a King Crab.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 8, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Takkaryx posted:

Maybe map games?
Tons of cash

Maybe we can attempt to raise Anders' blood pressure again as well.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Sard posted:

Today I learned two things:
  1. The Adder flamer can be removed now???
  2. An Adder with two Clan UAC/5 is short-lived but intense Oh my god it can fit a 20 :getin:

Domed a King Crab.

There was a significant quirk pass as well as big changes to SRMs. The Adder can now rock 4xSRM6 with Artemis. It might actually be workable.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 8, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Takkaryx posted:

Maybe map games?
Tons of cash

I'm interested, but probably not if it's any later than 2pm PST because that's already 10pm UK time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

There was a significant quirk pass as well as big changes to SRMs. The Adder can now rock 4xSRM6 with Artemis. It might actually be workable.

This is what's on my adder. If you can stay alive you can absolutely eviscerate assaults.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
My unit PUGS and our new bride -42- will be going Jade Falcon in two or three days so as your pal MechWarrior0424161 I'm looking forward to finally running group/ CW queues with ya'll. I started posting clan washout approved builds on the PUGS website and coaching my dudes on how to make a series of big cocked Cheaters, Stormies, Hellbringers, and Timbers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The 4x ASRM6 adder punches WAY outside of its weight class. However, it's terrible at fighting other lights. Stick to the big boys and knock whole limbs off of bigger mechs.

edit: FYI, if you're extra terrible at decision making, the kit fox can also fit the exact same builds.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
huh, the king crab 0000 with 4 ASRM6 and 2 LPL is kinda fun. Not super optimal but fun

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

liquidfire posted:

My unit PUGS and our new bride -42- will be going Jade Falcon in two or three days so as your pal MechWarrior0424161 I'm looking forward to finally running group/ CW queues with ya'll. I started posting clan washout approved builds on the PUGS website and coaching my dudes on how to make a series of big cocked Cheaters, Stormies, Hellbringers, and Timbers.

I'll be up for this.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've decided to give MWO another chance, and since the Goonrathi forums are apparently not much in use could someone PM me the Mumble info?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'd be down for some CW with WoL. Though I think I need to nab a few more IS mechs... I'll probably scoop up a Raven and some form of medium. Otherwise I'm dropping with a trio of Marauders and a trial mech.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Takkaryx posted:

Maybe map games?
Tons of cash

I like CW

I would play CW

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Weren't they introducing some sort of 4v4 CW 'capture the flag' type thing?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm up for CW shenanigans, in UK timezone.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is part of CW Phase 3 which is currently in development

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Number19 posted:

This is part of CW Phase 3 which is currently in development

Will we be able to specifically choose and play this game type at will? Or is it going to just be a random part of CW dropping?

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I'm only just getting back into MWO, would it be possible to get an invite into WoL? I haven't played since closed beta and I'd like to play with goons to get back into the swing of things. My IGN is Treuan, I'm already signed up with the forums/on the mumble.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Six machine guns scoops out the butt meat like it's ice cream

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Update on WoL CW Stuff;
I was thinking about the successful plays we made in our other games, so I have these suggestions for what to bring on your drop deck;
1 assault: On attack missions, the game can be won with the first assault push if we're good and coordinated. Having something big and angry is really good.
1 Mech that can go 110kph+ and is kitted for close range: On counter attack and hold ground maps where it's essentially a skirmish, I don't think I've seen the other team not drop assaults and heavies. Therefor, we all drop lights, and descend on pairs of assaults and brutalize them.
1 Mech that has some range: Brawling is good and fun, and what we do, but make sure at least one thing has the capability to poke. Not really snipe, as we need to move in groups, but being able to force their heads down on a heavy advance is good.

Other than that, it's up to you. We're still thinking about bigger metas and strats, so if after a few games you have some ideas, let us know!

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This would be nice, considering the thing I miss the most is 8v8. Frozen City is a clusterfuck with 24 mechs on it.

Man I would so be down to get invested in faction dropping but I only own a mastered Ghost-Dad, three hunchbacks 4J/4P/4SP and a Misery for IS mechs.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 8, 2016

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Are there requirements for CW?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Takkaryx posted:

Update on WoL CW Stuff;
I was thinking about the successful plays we made in our other games, so I have these suggestions for what to bring on your drop deck;
1 assault: On attack missions, the game can be won with the first assault push if we're good and coordinated. Having something big and angry is really good.
1 Mech that can go 110kph+ and is kitted for close range: On counter attack and hold ground maps where it's essentially a skirmish, I don't think I've seen the other team not drop assaults and heavies. Therefor, we all drop lights, and descend on pairs of assaults and brutalize them.
1 Mech that has some range: Brawling is good and fun, and what we do, but make sure at least one thing has the capability to poke. Not really snipe, as we need to move in groups, but being able to force their heads down on a heavy advance is good.

Other than that, it's up to you. We're still thinking about bigger metas and strats, so if after a few games you have some ideas, let us know!

Not really, you need to take 3 that all have decent speed and good range and firepower, so pretty much no brawling mechs, they also all need to take AMS. So the normal drop deck was 3 thunderbolts and a light, maybe trade one thunderbolt for something else of your preference like a laserdrill stalker or something. For the light it needs jumpjets and go over 140 so basically firestarters.

In order to win consistently you need to have a list of approved mechs and builds and enforce them pretty heavily. Because the yellbosses strats depend on everyone having the same armament and speed.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That's getting way too specific imo, particularly on the "110kph+" front.

Nothing wrong with having a couple of hard-hitting mediums with them that clock in at around ~100. They'll arrive a few seconds after the engagement starts, yeah, but usually the enemy is pretty well distracted by the light swarm at that point and can basically just unload. Worked drat well on my Griffin when we were dropping last weekend.

• Locked thread