Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Martman posted:

First time I tried T2 was a few months ago, in a random PF (everyone at level 60). The group stood around til the enrage, started the fight, and we immediately wiped.

Most players aren't very smart about things like this. They'll do whatever a video guide tells them to without really thinking about it. My favorite example is in Castrum. People will insist on dragging mobs back and forth to the cannons to kill them, even though you can easily mow them down right where they are. It made sense to do that in 2.0 when most people barely had ilevel 50 gear on, but now that you have people synced to i130 and even newbies are wearing i90 gear, it's a complete waste of time. And yet people still do it because thinking is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Vil posted:

Have you considered pursuing your relic by options that don't make you wish for the heat death of the universe?

If I don't do those things I won't have my relic till the heat death of the universe.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Belzac posted:

If I don't do those things I won't have my relic till the heat death of the universe.

What's the non-hyperbolic translation of this?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Vil posted:

What's the non-hyperbolic translation of this?

2.5-3 months.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

The Chairman posted:

Just going to repeat this again:

If you have never done Binding Coil or extreme primals and want to see it, say "I want to do ______ and I have a newbie bonus" and you will very rapidly get a group

No, you won't. It's not like I haven't asked. You'll get absolutely no answer or, if you're really lucky, maybe a single "maybe later." The last time I saw anyone run old Coil it was just to try it unsynced at the launch of Heavensward and they most certainly didn't want anyone new.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fair enough. I'm on track for about 1.5-2 months total time myself. I did 10 runs of A1N and decided that was enough Alex for the process, as far as my patience was concerned, and I'd pursue other options. I have a few drops from A3N so I might finish out that stack though.

e:

Xenoveritas posted:

No, you won't. It's not like I haven't asked. You'll get absolutely no answer or, if you're really lucky, maybe a single "maybe later." The last time I saw anyone run old Coil it was just to try it unsynced at the launch of Heavensward and they most certainly didn't want anyone new.

Have you asked since the relic came out and people suddenly got a shitload more interested in easy tomestones?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, I'm not getting where people aren't trying to scoop you up considering how often I get bothered with requests any time I mention that I haven't done BCOB. I believe there's even a linkshell now for getting new people into BCOB. If there isn't a linkshell, then there's at least an organized group in DGKK that's regularly doing them.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Xenoveritas posted:

Are you looking specifically for synced runs? Because those are definitely harder to find, yeah, especially for T5, T9, and Final Coil.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vil posted:

Have you asked since the relic came out and people suddenly got a shitload more interested in easy tomestones?

This. The relic quest has strongly incentivized people to go back and run newbies through old content and, for probably the next month or so, finding a group to trash stuff unsynched should be very simple.

If you want to do coils or old Ex primals synched, or run the CT raids (which the relic quests didn't really throw a bone to) you will probably be waiting longer or need to seek out a dedicated group. But it sounds like a linkshell for exactly that sort of thing just got made on Excal so there you go.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
You also have to ask at the right time. I know people in TPT that would jump at the chance to run more newbies through Coil (they've run me through), but they have to be around and not in the middle of something else.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Most players aren't very smart about things like this. They'll do whatever a video guide tells them to without really thinking about it. My favorite example is in Castrum. People will insist on dragging mobs back and forth to the cannons to kill them, even though you can easily mow them down right where they are. It made sense to do that in 2.0 when most people barely had ilevel 50 gear on, but now that you have people synced to i130 and even newbies are wearing i90 gear, it's a complete waste of time. And yet people still do it because thinking is hard.

Getting no response from asking people to do this ages ago (like a year or more ago) is what made me quit MSQ roulette. It's kind of baffling.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Vil posted:

Fair enough. I'm on track for about 1.5-2 months total time myself. I did 10 runs of A1N and decided that was enough Alex for the process, as far as my patience was concerned, and I'd pursue other options. I have a few drops from A3N so I might finish out that stack though.

Yeah, I'm almost finished myself. Just need 5 of each item(4 after tomorrows tribes.) I ran A1N about 5 times with my FC before stopping cause it was already boring as poo poo in that short amount of time.

Between daily roulettes, beast tribes, and super casual hunts, I feel the pace has been pretty decent. I definitely have the time to spare now that the holidays are over to be more active for hunts, so I should be wrapping it up within the next week. It definitely seemed like a lot of grinding initially, though the amount of options available has really made it seem fairly speedy for not doing a whole lot of grinding out Alex.

I can definitely see how someone without the final beast tribe quests unlocked could take that route though. Having finished those completely the weekend after the HW launch though, I'm happy they're an option. It's not a huge contributor to progress, being one of each item every 4 and 1/3 days of allowances, but it definitely helps.

I've been doing maps too. However, RNG hasn't favored me in the slightest. Only one item, and it was the night of the 3.15 update.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

I want to see chat log screenshots with timestamps of you asking for help and getting ignored, because right now you're saying that a bunch of really helpful people are full of poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Xenoveritas posted:

I haven't played in a week but I made a linkshell just for this purpose and have taken dozens of newbies through myself. There are people in all three goon FCs in the linkshell that can invite you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Where's a good place to fight NPCs in Triple Triad, when all you have is the starter deck? The Golden Saucer ones kick my arse all over the place.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

poptart_fairy posted:

Where's a good place to fight NPCs in Triple Triad, when all you have is the starter deck? The Golden Saucer ones kick my arse all over the place.

Then you're going to need to get better at Triple Triad since those are the 'tutorial' NPCs for the game. Alternatively, go around running dungeons and buying booster packs of cards to fill out your deck.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Go to FFXIVtriad.com and start with the lowest MGP cost NPCS, work from there. The milestone is 30 cards to unlock 4 2-star cards per hand. If you have MGP to spare the cheap card packs help too.

Also, thanks to his cards and ruleset you can actually win fairly consistently against King Elmer with the literal starter deck. Play heavy into the corners, look for combo triggers, and you can farm him for Godbert and Bahamut cards for early firepower.

Edit: Cheesing Elmer aside, Jonas is probably the only Saucer NPC worth trying to farm right off the bat. The others have decks or rules that are not overly friendly to starter decks.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 7, 2016

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I want to see chat log screenshots with timestamps of you asking for help and getting ignored, because right now you're saying that a bunch of really helpful people are full of poo poo.

I might be mixing him up with another poster but I recall Xeno making the same complaints in the past whenever people here tell newbies to just ask in FC chat. I'm just gonna assuming he asked once months/years ago and was ignored, or he plays at like 4AM. People are tripping over themselves now even on Faerie for the newbie bonus. Hell we even had a newbie prostitute themselves for gil in exchange for their bonus. A+ newbie.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

poptart_fairy posted:

Your first goal is to get to 30 cards, while keeping your eyes out for really good 1* and 2* cards to win with in the meanwhile.

Some good NPCs for this are:

Memeroon (Upper La Noscea): Tonberry, Amaljaa, Memeroon
Jonas of the Three Spades: Ixal, Moogle
Guhtwint of the Three Diamonds: Scarface Bugaal Ja, Chocobo
Mother Miounne (New Gridania): Goobbue, Mother Miounne
Maisenta (New Gridania): Sylph, Coblyn, Kobold
Helmheart (Eastern Thanalan, 10pm - 8am): Gerolt, Ultros & Typhon
Piralnaut (East Shroud, 12PM - 8PM): Frixio, Succubus

I'm sure there's others i'm not thinking of, but these guys should give you a good set of early cards to go with whatever random strong card you might have lying around.

The other protip is that you really want 1* cards that have a 6 or 7 in one facing - Chocobo, Moogle, Ixal, Kobold, and Tonberry are all really good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, cheers guys. I guess I got too intimidated by their "strong" cards so assumed they were meant to be dudes you come back to. :v:

I'll follow the advice and take another shot at them.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

All you can do with the starting deck is beat the ones that have Plus/Same, really. It's not like Triple Triad has deep strategy and tactics. Do go through NPCs to get 30 cards, you can actually do things when you can play unlimited 2-star cards.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, the initial grind to 30 cards is nightmare but once you have 4 2* it opens up a little. Enrolling in the triad tournies that pop up at the saucer isn't a terrible idea too, because they have their own rules that sometimes make it a bit easier sometimes.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Xenoveritas posted:

No, you won't. It's not like I haven't asked. You'll get absolutely no answer or, if you're really lucky, maybe a single "maybe later."

It's because no one likes you.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Suitaru posted:

All you can do with the starting deck is beat the ones that have Plus/Same, really. It's not like Triple Triad has deep strategy and tactics. Do go through NPCs to get 30 cards, you can actually do things when you can play unlimited 2-star cards.

There's a pretty surefire method for constantly beating the king guy with the starter deck.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Belzac posted:

I knew that Alex Normal would be a 100% non-starter for me the second I heard it was an option and I've never even thought about going there for my relic items.

Instead I've stuck to beastman dailies every day, all the roulettes on a dps class I wanted more practice on, occasional hunt evenings (protip: get drunk, get in a voicechat channel with friends, even if they're not hunting. Makes it so much better.), and three occasions where I ran newbies through Coil for the poetics.

I'm going to hit 60/80 this weekend if not sooner and I'll have the finalized relic in a couple weeks. You don't have to touch Alex Normal, never ever ever. In objective terms it'll take longer for me but in subjective terms it's much faster and easier on the spirit. And there's literally no point to getting it faster then this pace, none.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Conversely I'd rather fail an alex normal than hunt and say it's ok because I was drunk talking to friends while I did it.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

I started a trial, I'm a level 11 Conjurer and it's fun but I have to sleep now. Hope you enjoyed my story.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

remeez posted:

I started a trial, I'm a level 11 Conjurer and it's fun but I have to sleep now. Hope you enjoyed my story.

Welcome! Do these two things, if you haven't already -

1) Read the first few posts in the thread - essential game mechanics, how to join a goon FC (guild), etc. Most of us play on Excalibur, and it's absolutely worth re-rolling a character there if you're on a different server.

2) Before you pay for game time, hook up yourself and a veteran with a Recruit-A-Friend code from this thread.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

Conversely I'd rather fail an alex normal than hunt and say it's ok because I was drunk talking to friends while I did it.

Don't you have a4s 210 weapon? Why bother with relic? Or are you one of the jobs whose sub stats are better on the relic?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Relic will always be your best weapon eventually, so being up to date with the latest step is a good idea. Even when the stats on it sucks.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly, but I am having trouble finding an answer, and due to the hour, asking the FC isn't doing a ton of good:

Is there any actual way to tell what each piece of gear's max stat for each bonus is so that we don't waste materials and gil melding stuff that adds nothing? I put some strength material on my Mythril Lance and it just laughed at me. If I understand correctly, if you go back to the bon fire and have that NPC take the materia off, you lose all affixed materia on the item--is that so? How the Hell does this system work, exactly? I know the broad strokes, but judging by the results I get from Googling and that I can't find any answers, it sort of seems like a lot of players are in the same befuddled boat as I am when it comes to the specifics.

There's got to be some rhyme or reason to the system, right? I mean, I assume it comes down to a formula of some kind, but gently caress if I know what it is. Any help appreciated. In the meantime, I'll be running around with a failed meld showcasing my incompetence, since the other piece of material added works at its full potential. I had a FC-mate do the meld for me, so I do not actually know what the process was like first hand. My carpenter has never been used. Can't say I'm really a fan of the materia system in the game, though. As someone else said in the FC, it feels (at least) sort of tacked on, like a forced nod to VII in the form of an item mechanic. That'd be fine if it were better explain or more intuitive, but as it stands it really needs a better explanation. I'll take the stat bonuses, but it'd be great if I knew how to work them properly instead of just guessing.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 8, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

step 1 of materia: ignore it completely and sell the ones you get from conversion on the market board for some extra pocket money

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

ilifinicus posted:

step 1 of materia: ignore it completely and sell the ones you get from conversion on the market board for some extra pocket money

Fair enough.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The only time I've ever bothered with materia was when I had to use them for the very first relic quest, and otherwise only had them on my gear when a friend crafted stuff for me and tossed materia on for free.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

to try to explain it; most items that come with main stat (str/int/dex/vit) are capped on that stat, so you can not meld more of it to that item. the substats (pie/det/crit/acc/spell speed/skill speed) are on different caps depending on item level and which slot it is, and these can be looked up on various databases out there and there is really no rule of thumb to it. square-enix is for some reason fan of people discovering these things themselves, even tho we can datamine the caps from the game files and put them on databases. if you want to find out the caps for items, check out http://www.garlandtools.org/db/ and look up your item there

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly, but I am having trouble finding an answer, and due to the hour, asking the FC isn't doing a ton of good:

Is there any actual way to tell what each piece of gear's max stat for each bonus is so that we don't waste materials and gil melding stuff that adds nothing? I put some strength material on my Mythril Lance and it just laughed at me. If I understand correctly, if you go back to the bon fire and have that NPC take the materia off, you lose all affixed materia on the item--is that so? How the Hell does this system work, exactly? I know the broad strokes, but judging by the results I get from Googling and that I can't find any answers, it sort of seems like a lot of players are in the same befuddled boat as I am when it comes to the specifics.

There's got to be some rhyme or reason to the system, right? I mean, I assume it comes down to a formula of some kind, but gently caress if I know what it is. Any help appreciated. In the meantime, I'll be running around with a failed meld showcasing my incompetence, since the other piece of material added works at its full potential. I had a FC-mate do the meld for me, so I do not actually know what the process was like first hand. My carpenter has never been used. Can't say I'm really a fan of the materia system in the game, though. As someone else said in the FC, it feels (at least) sort of tacked on, like a forced nod to VII in the form of an item mechanic. That'd be fine if it were better explain or more intuitive, but as it stands it really needs a better explanation. I'll take the stat bonuses, but it'd be great if I knew how to work them properly instead of just guessing.

The rule of thumb is that materia can usually only boost substats that aren't already on the piece.

Let's say you have a spear that provides 30STR, 25acc, and 25crit. You can be pretty certain that you won't get anything by melding str, acc, or crit rate materia to it, because it already has those stats. However, if you had materia that boosted skill speed, or determination, then you could meld those and they would provide their effects - the caps would be close to 25 for each materia-boosted stat. If you had vit materia you could meld that too, probably to about 28. Generally materia caps on combat gear are close to but slightly below existing stats on the gear.

The big caveat is that the level you materia you can meld is determined by the item level of your weapon. A mythril lance, which is sub-50, probably can't take anything better than grade 1 materia for it's slots. Maybe grade 2, I don't know; what I do know is that melding stuff on anything before max level is almost always a waste of time because it's replaced so fast as you level.

Finally what you (or the person melding for you, frankly) should know is that you can tell the effect BEFORE the meld is applied in the confirmation screen. If the materia is going to boost a stat within caps it will show a white number, like +3. If the materia is going to hit the cap or is already at it, the number will be in red (and show, for example, +2 or even +0) in which case melding the materia might not do anything.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Death Dealer posted:

Funny thing is that I swear DGKK has most of the Roe on the server. Granted it probably also just feels that way because goons are super prevalent on Excal. Hell, we have catgirls that chose to become Roe.

I'm also looking forward to finding out the Jukebox is going to be like 10 million gil and thus out of my reach for awhile. :v:

That's because Roe are the best and catgirls suck.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's because Roe are the best and catgirls suck.

It's the opposite on Balmung and I'm ok with it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Holyshoot posted:

Don't you have a4s 210 weapon? Why bother with relic? Or are you one of the jobs whose sub stats are better on the relic?

What Vandes said and also cause the monk one is like 1.3 STR higher than the dip one.

The best thing about this relic is getting all the tank mounts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Expanding on the materia stuff said already, there's only a handful of cases where materia is useful:

1) If you're leveling crafters then meld five materia for the challenge log. Buy some garbage materia (elemental resist and main stat materia tend to be cheap) and meld it on w/e and get +10% to next level EXP every week.

2) Crafting and gathering gear stats aren't at the cap unlike combat gear. To get the highest crafting / gathering gear stats you have to meld materia on it. Look up the caps, look at materia prices, and plan out your melds to get the best overmeld chances and throw the least amount of money when your overmelds fail constantly.

3) In 2.x tanks would take crafted Vit/Str rightside accessories and meld Str/Vit materia onto it. Since rightside only has one main stat on it there's room to meld the other stat onto it before hitting any stat caps. Generally tanks don't need the Vit for 99% of content but it helps a lot when learning and doing the hardest stuff and strength gives that extra dps. In 3.x afaik crafted rightside is much weaker than what you'd get with tomestones/raiding so it isn't done atm but yoshi.p has talked about adding materia slots to raiding gear in 3.2. We'll have to wait and see how this develops.

4) Substat materia (det/crit/sk&sp speed/parry) was used in one of the steps for the relic weapon in 2.x. People would try to get the perfect substats on it and they take a lot more materia than other gear. Nowadays since 2.x relics are glamor fodder and a way to skip the first step in 3.x relics anybody doing them now just slaps whatever garage substat materia they find on the cheap.

• Locked thread