Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm only level 30, but until I reach higher levels should I stick with the orange weapons from the Level 7 vendor in Fleet? That's what I have, but even with the upgrades it feels like I'm doing piddly amounts of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

Oh and on a conquest side note, you get points for doing the Section X weekly. The Aurora Cannon used to require 4 people but now it can be solo'd. The final boss might take a couple people but he's not required to finish the Heroic. I literally just kamikazed my way towards the end, died to three massive train I'd pulled, then did it again all the way to the end, throwing the grenade then jumping off the cliff. Took all of 5 minutes.

Minor but helpful hint for people wanting to solo the bonus mission which requires killing the boss: you can use the pillars to break line of sight while he's casting his heal siphon to interrupt it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

reagan posted:

I'm only level 30, but until I reach higher levels should I stick with the orange weapons from the Level 7 vendor in Fleet? That's what I have, but even with the upgrades it feels like I'm doing piddly amounts of damage.

The mods in an orange weapon are the ONLY thing that affect the stats. The base stats - like the damage range - scale based on the item level of the hilt or barrel. You could buy a blue or purple quality hilt or barrel from the GTN if you want to do more damage. Keeping the rest of your gear up to date would probably make a bigger difference.

There's no orange weapon that's functionally better than any other, so you can pick them purely based on looks. You can use the same weapon from level 1 to 65 if you want to!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Alright cool. As an aside, I really wish the Operative had access to a Vibroblade along with the dagger.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

reagan posted:

Alright cool. As an aside, I really wish the Operative had access to a Vibroblade along with the dagger.

Leveling, your best gear will come from heroics or flashpoints. It's super easy to stay way ahead of the gear curve now without spending commendations/crystals.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

I'm on a 11 year break from Everquest. I might take it up again.

There are at least a dozen other MMOs you should play instead of doing that.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

So, I downloaded this game about a week ago, and bought subscriber like one day in, when it became obvious I enjoyed the game. I got through the starter world...and uh, that's it. I haven't been able to go further, due to an issue in the downloading stream process, where it thinks my download is at 99.99% in game. I've done all the troubleshooting, restarting, looking it up and asking for support that I can, and I eventually just took the suggestion to reinstall it with the non-streamer launcher. It's TERRIBLY slow, and I'm rather unhappy with paying for subscriber and essentially not being able to use it for a week.

Do you think there's any chance at all I could get a free week of credit or something or should I just cut my losses? I live in Australia and apparently literally the only way for me to get in touch to talk about subscriber issues is to make an international call loving christ.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ammonsa posted:

So, I downloaded this game about a week ago, and bought subscriber like one day in, when it became obvious I enjoyed the game. I got through the starter world...and uh, that's it. I haven't been able to go further, due to an issue in the downloading stream process, where it thinks my download is at 99.99% in game. I've done all the troubleshooting, restarting, looking it up and asking for support that I can, and I eventually just took the suggestion to reinstall it with the non-streamer launcher. It's TERRIBLY slow, and I'm rather unhappy with paying for subscriber and essentially not being able to use it for a week.

Do you think there's any chance at all I could get a free week of credit or something or should I just cut my losses? I live in Australia and apparently literally the only way for me to get in touch to talk about subscriber issues is to make an international call loving christ.

It is free if you use Skype.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Everquest 2?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Oh and on a conquest side note, you get points for doing the Section X weekly. The Aurora Cannon used to require 4 people but now it can be solo'd. The final boss might take a couple people but he's not required to finish the Heroic. I literally just kamikazed my way towards the end, died to three massive train I'd pulled, then did it again all the way to the end, throwing the grenade then jumping off the cliff. Took all of 5 minutes.

I got my rear end beat when I tried to solo it. Then I tried dying my way through, and I couldn't activate the grenade at the end -- do you have to be in a specific spot to do it? Or maybe you need to be out of combat?

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 8, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

prefect posted:

I got my rear end beat when I tried to solo it. Then I tried dying my way through, and I couldn't activate the grenade at the end -- do you have to be in a specific spot to do it? Or maybe you need to be out of combat?

You can just run along the walkways to the side of the boss (who you can just ignore and not aggro) and throw it from there. Not sure if being in combat matters but I'd cleared it through save for the boss and a few side trash I avoided.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

I'd say there's at least 14

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aleth posted:

You can just run along the walkways to the side of the boss (who you can just ignore and not aggro) and throw it from there. Not sure if being in combat matters but I'd cleared it through save for the boss and a few side trash I avoided.

I was definitely in combat when I did it with my Sorc, the screen was dotted with so many red dots I thought I had an assassin targeting me.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Alternatively, since there's also a conquest objective for killing 250 dudes in Section X, I cleared the place before going to the boss. Then I pointed my dog at him to keep him occupied, clicked the thing, and jumped to my death. Boss didn't even care I was there.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Lamquin posted:

is there anything unique, gameplay-wise, with HK-51/"Treek" compared to the current companions?

No. They have some unique animations but since 4.0 all companions are functionally identical.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I dunno about Treek but HK-51 does have different abilities in tank and DPS stance than other companions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

peer posted:

I dunno about Treek but HK-51 does have different abilities in tank and DPS stance than other companions.

Also, I started the HK-51 quest chain the other day, and it's a lot of fun so far. I'd do it even if I didn't get a pet robot at the end.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

It is free if you use Skype.

It isn't. It costs me skype credit, which costs money.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

prefect posted:

Also, I started the HK-51 quest chain the other day, and it's a lot of fun so far. I'd do it even if I didn't get a pet robot at the end.

Haha, you must not have gotten to the scanning part yet!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I just got the 500 free coins from Bioware, anything I should spend it on?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

I just got the 500 free coins from Bioware, anything I should spend it on?

Inventory expansion (idk if this is actually necessary tbh) or save them up until next month and pick up one of the species unlocks. I think the 5-pack three hour 25% experience bonus is under 500 also but it felt unnecessary.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Inventory expansion (idk if this is actually necessary tbh) or save them up until next month and pick up one of the species unlocks. I think the 5-pack three hour 25% experience bonus is under 500 also but it felt unnecessary.

Paying for experience bonuses is a waste; you get a one-hour bonus for completing lots of quests. I think you get them each time you finish a planet.

Jiz
Jan 7, 2016

Trans and Drag Queens doing cocaine, once you're a Jiz Whore you're never the same.
Well, I took the plunge and started at level 1, just got off the Jedi starting planet and off to Coruscant with my new lizard buddy.

I have to admit, although I knew under the hood was the same old 'Go kill x number of things', having a sense of purpose and reason for doing it made it actually much more enjoyable.

Looking forward to getting my spaceship proper!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I want to be as lazy as possible and still hit poo poo with a lightsaber. What class am I?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Norns posted:

I want to be as lazy as possible and still hit poo poo with a lightsaber. What class am I?

Sith Warrior, don't pick an advanced class so you won't have as many buttons.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Not that lazy.

Jiz
Jan 7, 2016

Trans and Drag Queens doing cocaine, once you're a Jiz Whore you're never the same.

Norns posted:

Kylo Ren emo-warrior.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Norns posted:

Guardian or Jugg. Their DPS Tree has a fairly solid 6~ish button rotation. It basically depends on if you want to scream at someone so hard they bleed. Or slash your lightsaber through the air so fast it creates a wave of superheated air that sets them on fire.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

Sith Warrior, don't pick an advanced class so you won't have as many buttons.

I decree that this becomes the standard answer in this thread anytime when people ask what class is simplest because the game has too many buttons.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Guardian or Jugg. Their DPS Tree has a fairly solid 6~ish button rotation. It basically depends on if you want to scream at someone so hard they bleed. Or slash your lightsaber through the air so fast it creates a wave of superheated air that sets them on fire.

Guardian it is! Both of those options sound equally hilarious.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

I decree that this becomes the standard answer in this thread anytime when people ask what class.

Or just that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

Or just that.

I'll update the OP with "A lot of people think the game is overwhelming with the number of skills to use and not knowing what is used in your discipline. The best thing to do in this case is to just not select an advanced class at all. That will simplify the game and allow you to contribute to group content as you'll only have a few different moves to worry about."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You can drop the backhanded elitism. MMOs aren't hard.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

I'll update the OP with "A lot of people think the game is overwhelming with the number of skills to use and not knowing what is used in your discipline. The best thing to do in this case is to just not select an advanced class at all. That will simplify the game and allow you to contribute to group content as you'll only have a few different moves to worry about."

Then you end up like that guy who posted in the thread with that picture of his Level 60 Sith Warrior, accompanied by snippets of chat asking him why he hadn't chosen an advanced class, calling him a dumbass, etc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Norns posted:

It's an ongoing question in this thread. People constantly posting that the game has WAY too many buttons and its impossible to keep track of what moves reach class requires.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Norns posted:

They can absolutely be difficult, especially if you're trying to perform as well as you possibly can.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

It's an ongoing question in this thread. People constantly posting that the game has WAY too many buttons and its impossible to keep track of what moves reach class requires.

Alright. That's not me. I've spent an embarrassing amount of my life playing MMOs at a pretty decent level.

I just didn't feel like reading class guides for every class before I just jumped in. I don't have the time for 9000 alts like I did in my youth.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

prefect posted:

They can absolutely be difficult, especially if you're trying to perform as well as you possibly can.

Ultimately it depends on how a specific encounter is tuned in terms of requiring X% of your theoretical DPS. DPS checks can be pretty tough if you don't have your rotation down.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Norns posted:

Alright. That's not me. I've spent an embarrassing amount of my life playing MMOs at a pretty decent level.

I just didn't feel like reading class guides for every class before I just jumped in. I don't have the time for 9000 alts like I did in my youth.

Yeah sorry, wasn't picking on you specifically. 200 page thread with the same questions every other page. :)

Juggernaut/Guardian is great DPS with some good defensive cool downs with the ability to tank if you ever decide to do that. Marauder/Sentinel is a bit more complex but with the ability to do more DPS. Sorcerer/Sage doesn't even use their lightsaber and Assassin/Shadow uses a double bladed saber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Looks like I'll end up going Juggernaut instead of Guardian. Might as well play where the main group of goons are at.

Right now I want to play DPS, but I know the tank itch will get me.

• Locked thread