Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MikeJF posted:

That was only on a hatch that Picard had opened and is normally shut. Windows are transparent aluminium.

Aluminum is garbage in space, expands and contracts from heat too much. Also very weak against heat, as far as armour goes. I guess it's better than glass. But man, just have a holographic window in every crew quarter. Also put the bridge in the middle of the ship, they're using a view-screen anyways! It's only at the top of the ship for the skylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Right, but they're absolutely military. I mean we could call the US Navy the Oceanic Survey and Exploration Committee and Super Friendship Club but it is not fooling anyone.

It's not fooling anyone if the ships are actually meant to be armed survey vessels.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

drilldo squirt posted:

It's not fooling anyone if the ships are actually meant to be armed survey vessels.

but its the federations de facto force projection. It enforces the neutral zone ffs

edit: here let me say this, it may not be the military in spirit, but it is effectively the military by virtue of its role.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 8, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

That was only on a hatch that Picard had opened and is normally shut. Windows are transparent aluminium.

Unless a guest star screws up and goes just a LITTLE too far into the window hole...

Also pictured: John Doe's clearly-defined frontal area. (This is why bike shorts are usually matte black, folks...)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
edit i'm dumb regarding windows

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Powered Descent posted:

Also pictured: John Doe's clearly-defined frontal area. (This is why bike shorts are usually matte black, folks...)

The future is skin tight and poorly written.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

but its the federations de facto force projection. It enforces the neutral zone ffs

edit: here let me say this, it may not be the military in spirit, but it is effectively the military by virtue of its role.

Keep in mind we are only seeing when stuff goes wrong or is dangerous. I don't think everyday star fleet would make good tv.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Fair enough. The TV stuff can be boring enough!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Fair enough. The TV stuff can be boring enough!

Fo sho.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I had to do a double take. Thought he said Bashir.

Now that would be a sexy metaphor :riker:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In Star Trek 4 I always interpreted it as Scotty trading the secrets to transparent aluminum for the acrylic that they needed, but everyone else Ive ever talked to says that stuff IS the transparent aluminum. which is it?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gutcruncher posted:

In Star Trek 4 I always interpreted it as Scotty trading the secrets to transparent aluminum for the acrylic that they needed, but everyone else Ive ever talked to says that stuff IS the transparent aluminum. which is it?

You're right, they're wrong.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Gutcruncher posted:

It was a trade. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Transparent_aluminum

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Well, unless there's a long pause where they just hangout on earth for a shitton of years before they get their finished product. The dude even says "It'll take me years to even understand this." or something like that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The General posted:

Well, unless there's a long pause where they just hangout on earth for a shitton of years before they get their finished product. The dude even says "It'll take me years to even understand this." or something like that.

Yeah it's pure luck he didn't gently caress up the timeline.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

scotty does not give a gently caress about time paradoxes he's got to build a whale aquarium in a klingon cargo hold, when that is your life everything goes out the window. tell an engineer to solve an engineering problem and this is what happens.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Considering the plot of the movie is "bring two whales forward in time or the Federation is destroyed" I'm not going to lose sleep with Scotty interfering with the past.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Right, but they're absolutely military. I mean we could call the US Navy the Oceanic Survey and Exploration Committee and Super Friendship Club but it is not fooling anyone.

It is a government sponsored exploration arm that is also used as its primary warfighting force. I don't want to argue semantics over a scifi show but seriously IDK how you could not consider it military

Weirdly it seemed like in TOS, Rodenberry and the other show-runners had no problem with Starfleet basically being the military and the Enterprise being a military vessel, even if it was one on an 'exploration' mission. It wasn't until TNG that Rodenberry seemed to really start pushing his weird utopian ideas about what the Federation was supposed to be. Like you never saw kids and families on the original Enterprise.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

In the Typhon Pact novels Nanietta Bacco (fed president) is given the options of using Federation Security or Starfleet Intelligence to infiltrate the Breen - she chooses Starfleet saying that "the military is better equipped to pull this one off", so there

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Entropic posted:

Weirdly it seemed like in TOS, Rodenberry and the other show-runners had no problem with Starfleet basically being the military and the Enterprise being a military vessel, even if it was one on an 'exploration' mission. It wasn't until TNG that Rodenberry seemed to really start pushing his weird utopian ideas about what the Federation was supposed to be. Like you never saw kids and families on the original Enterprise.

From what I've heard, Rodenberry wasnt happy with how Starfleet was portrayed in Wrath of Khan, being the military and nothing else as opposed to a peaceful organization of exploration and science that was also the military.

TNG was likely him overcompensating

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

DarkMalfunction posted:

In the Typhon Pact novels Nanietta Bacco (fed president) is given the options of using Federation Security or Starfleet Intelligence to infiltrate the Breen - she chooses Starfleet saying that "the military is better equipped to pull this one off", so there

Those officially non-canon novels you mean?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Those officially non-canon novels you mean?

Officially non-canon? Compared to what? Isn't everything non-canon after Enterprise other than the JJTrek movies? Paramount have even gone on record saying that other than the two Jeri Taylor novels, all books and whatever are non-canon. Bearing in mind most, if not all licensed Star Trek authors works their books round the same story/timeline/universe (Typhon Pact, Destiny, Full Circle novels, the entire SCE series et al all work in the same way referencing each other, and that's tens if not hundreds of books), I figure that's the closest thing we have to a canon continuation, unless you wanna consider Star Trek Online's lovely writing canon.

Besides, I doubt CBS/Paramount is ever gonna do anything with any of the series characters again, so if all these authors have managed to keep the characters going in more or less the same storyline... they've all fleshed out the Romulan War, the post Dominion War era, etc, that the show never went into or probably has any intentions to go into, so...

e: I did forget briefly about that new show Michael Dorn was meant to be working on - when's that gonna be set? Because if that goes completely against the major book's storylines it could be quite comical to see authors getting angry that their work is wasted.

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 8, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Roddenberry is dead, everything is canon now. Canon is a matter of individual taste, nothing to do with who ever happens to be the arbitrary IP rights owner at the particular moment.

Post Dominion War stuff? Hmm I've never read any of the books, lets see what important post-war details this star trek wikipedia think are most worth mentioning.

"Tuition in the Klingon university system underwent a hike during the Dominion War, which was frozen until 2401, at which point the Klingon High Council decided to lower the tuition by 300 darseks/year. (Star Trek: The Stoneship Files: "The Defector") "

Interesting.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 8, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Baronjutter posted:

Roddenberry is dead, everything is canon now. Canon is a matter of individual taste, nothing to do with who ever happens to be the arbitrary IP rights owner at the particular moment.

There is that case of heavily damaged floppy discs of Gene's that were data recovered and turned over to the Roddenberry estate just last week. There could be new old canon on its way, like an extra page of Ferengi sexual prowess described in vivid detail.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

"Tuition in the Klingon university system underwent a hike during the Dominion War, which was frozen until 2401, at which point the Klingon High Council decided to lower the tuition by 300 darseks/year. (Star Trek: The Stoneship Files: "The Defector") "

Interesting.

Funny thing is, that's actually a better story than the stupid storyline Destiny came up with about eradicating the Borg and the whole Caeliar crap that's about as tenuous as a Final Destination movie.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a whole series of Star Trek EU books dedicated to Klingon education reform and tuition policy.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DarkMalfunction posted:

Funny thing is, that's actually a better story than the stupid storyline Destiny came up with about eradicating the Borg and the whole Caeliar crap that's about as tenuous as a Final Destination movie.

The biggest crime of those books was that Harry Kim was a Lieutenant.
I did enjoy the Troi poison womb storyline though, until the god awful ending that is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

Roddenberry's views shifted during the 70s especially after he started experimenting beyond just weed and booze

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Roddenberry's views shifted during the 70s especially after he started experimenting beyond just weed and booze

Got hard into the beetle snuff.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

DarkMalfunction posted:

Officially non-canon? Compared to what? Isn't everything non-canon after Enterprise other than the JJTrek movies? Paramount have even gone on record saying that other than the two Jeri Taylor novels, all books and whatever are non-canon. Bearing in mind most, if not all licensed Star Trek authors works their books round the same story/timeline/universe (Typhon Pact, Destiny, Full Circle novels, the entire SCE series et al all work in the same way referencing each other, and that's tens if not hundreds of books), I figure that's the closest thing we have to a canon continuation, unless you wanna consider Star Trek Online's lovely writing canon.

Besides, I doubt CBS/Paramount is ever gonna do anything with any of the series characters again, so if all these authors have managed to keep the characters going in more or less the same storyline... they've all fleshed out the Romulan War, the post Dominion War era, etc, that the show never went into or probably has any intentions to go into, so...

e: I did forget briefly about that new show Michael Dorn was meant to be working on - when's that gonna be set? Because if that goes completely against the major book's storylines it could be quite comical to see authors getting angry that their work is wasted.

Please tell me more about how what is essentially published fan fiction is canon and how much it means to you that no one challenges this.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Please tell me more about how what is essentially published fan fiction is canon and how much it means to you that no one challenges this.

I never said it was canon btw, just closest thing, source your quotes better

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

also holy gently caress Roddenberry did some massive drugs in his time, at least the internet says so so it must be true

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Like the guy up above said, I can't wait until they crack open these disks of Roddenberrys, it will be like Geraldo and Capone's vault, but it will be all just talking about how Troi's half human half betazoid physiology means her pussy gets like mega wet

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Oh and lol, Guinan introduced Worf to prune juice and he calls it a warriors drink? Yesterday's Enterprise is a loving wacky episode. I still love that Tasha Yar got killed by a guy covered in trashbags in the normal timeline. Not that I blame her for wanting out of the show but lol what a shameful way to die, with all the fanfare of a redshirt getting clobbered by a Gorn in TOS

edit: Oh and I finally watched Galaxy Quest. Not sure why I waited so long since I think Sigourney Weaver is like incredibly gorgeous. Like someone else said before, it truly is one of the best star trek movies.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Galaxy Quest is amazing.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Any good spaceship shows out right now? OTHER SPACE is great, but it's a workplace comedy send-up about a bunch of goofy bozos lost in an alternate dimension vaguely similar to Red Dwarf so it's kind of limited in scope.

Dark Matter is coming back for another season, which is awful because it is a piece of shiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttt

edit goddamn stop debating canonicity what the gently caress

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you like spaceships and sci fi drama and you aren't watching The Expanse you're doing yourself a disservice, apparently it's based on a book series but I haven't read anything about it and I'm getting into the show no problem

I really, really love the spaceships in it. No artificial gravity, everybody's got mag boots and 1G scenes all take place when the ships are under thrust or tumbling. I know it's sperg stuff but *drools*

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I tried watching the first episode of Dark Matter and its so bad, and I like B5 and Star Trek lol

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The first couple eps of Dark Matter were the best ones

not kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Tighclops posted:

If you like spaceships and sci fi drama and you aren't watching The Expanse you're doing yourself a disservice, apparently it's based on a book series but I haven't read anything about it and I'm getting into the show no problem

I really, really love the spaceships in it. No artificial gravity, everybody's got mag boots and 1G scenes all take place when the ships are under thrust or tumbling. I know it's sperg stuff but *drools*

I've started reading the books after catching the pilot. They're even better than the show. It's like Aaron Allston level of humor mixed with the bleakness of Game of Thrones.

In space.

Edit: gently caress. I forgot this was the Star Trek thread and not Star Wars and namedropped the Wraith Squadron guy.

• Locked thread