Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't really happen in standard... Just quit modern.

I wanted to start playing Modern. Standard is dead, but it's not like I ever played the format anyway. I show up with a pet deck around Game Day once in a rotation, go 4-0, and never touch it again because everyone's playing the same deck after the first PT/Open. Modern looked fun and varied, but that's not going to happen for me now. Oddly enough, 15-proxy Vintage is cheaper for me because I own all the duals and the price of most of the staples in the format (Zendikar fetches aside) never change because not enough people care about the format to stage silly buyouts. All my Shops stuff is about the same price as it was a year ago, and probably a year from now, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

let me just sum up the next 400 posts about modern:

"BAn this card or deck"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BJPaskoff posted:

Am I the only one so turned off by #mtgfinance that I want to sell my collection and exclusively draft, or even just cube?

If you're decent at playing you can basically play MODO for free and it's almost totally devoid of extremely dumb mtg finance stuff. Some cards spike but it's usually because of weird corner cases where they were never circulated much.

Also you can play vintage and legacy way more casually and often. Also you can play 100 card singleton which is a really goofy format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

If you're decent at playing you can basically play MODO for free and it's almost totally devoid of extremely dumb mtg finance stuff. Some cards spike but it's usually because of weird corner cases where they were never circulated much.

Also you can play vintage and legacy way more casually and often. Also you can play 100 card singleton which is a really goofy format.

This is true at least. Its strange how balanced prices can get when you... reprint them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

rabidsquid posted:

Hey those of us with 3 legacy decks can play casually. There's just no one to play with anymore

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there really nothing more proactive green tron could be playing in the place of chromatic artifacts? I assume they're there because so many of your lands are colorless, they don't cost you a card, and offer some degree of insurance against blood moon when you have the (otherwise uncastable) answer in hand. Have they always been there?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Is there really nothing more proactive green tron could be playing in the place of chromatic artifacts? I assume they're there because so many of your lands are colorless, they don't cost you a card, and offer some degree of insurance against blood moon when you have the (otherwise uncastable) answer in hand. Have they always been there?

Pretty much since the deck really started showing up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm guessing the deck simply wouldn't function without artifact colored sources given there are 16 tron lands and 4 sylvan scrying.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing the deck simply wouldn't function without artifact colored sources given there are 16 tron lands and 4 sylvan scrying.

They also are cantrips, which allow you to find your business spells. Tron would be a much worse deck if the chromatic artifacts didn't exist.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Brownhat posted:

They also are cantrips, which allow you to find your business spells. Tron would be a much worse deck if the chromatic artifacts didn't exist.

BAN CHROMATIC ARTIFACTS!!!

On a serious note I have an extra eye of Ugin and need another spellskite. Anyone want to do a straight up trade?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I just realized yesterday I had sold an Eye of Ugin for 3 bucks during the summer and completely forgot about it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Spellskite spiking is the least mtgfinance related spike we've had. Practically every deck has at least 2 skites in their 75 and many have them main. It was undervalued and now that modern season is upon us its not gonna come back down.

I mean hell, when MM2015 reprint came around it didn't drop in price. Its not grognards playing the market, its actual demand.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

<TheKingofSprings> koomi shuffles his library.
<TheKingofSprings> koomi draws his initial hand.
<TheKingofSprings> [23:39:15]  koomi: kp
<TheKingofSprings> TheKingofSprings draws his initial hand.
<TheKingofSprings> [23:39:30]  TheKingofSprings: kp
<TheKingofSprings> koomi puts Raging Ravine into play tapped from his hand.
<TheKingofSprings> [23:39:32] It is now the ending phase.
<TheKingofSprings> [23:39:34] It is now TheKingofSprings's turn.
<TheKingofSprings> [23:39:34] It is now the untap step.
<TheKingofSprings> [23:39:35] It is now the draw step.
<TheKingofSprings> TheKingofSprings draws 1 card(s).
<TheKingofSprings> [23:39:37] It is now the first main phase.
<TheKingofSprings> TheKingofSprings puts Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth into play from his hand.
<TheKingofSprings> TheKingofSprings taps Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.
<TheKingofSprings> TheKingofSprings plays Inquisition of Kozilek from his hand.
<TheKingofSprings> koomi has lost connection to the game.

So did the Jund player know I was on B/W Eldrazi or did he have a bad hand

A mystery for the ages

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

let me just sum up the next 400 posts about modern:

"BAn this card or deck"

They're definitely banning Splinter Twin, though. You can see it in the price history. It's been on a decline for over six months because its ban is that assured.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So did the Jund player know I was on B/W Eldrazi or did he have a bad hand

A mystery for the ages

Sometimes, man, people have hands that are barely keepers that just fall apart completely in the face of one discard spell.

Get smacked with enough Thoughtsiezes and it will happen to you, too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought MODO because honestly it seems like the only way I can play games where I won't get yelled at.

Also the TIX from Card Hoarder seem cheaper then the $$$ from IRL cards?

One thing, how do I mute other players?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They're definitely banning Splinter Twin, though. You can see it in the price history. It's been on a decline for over six months because its ban is that assured.

Sometimes, man, people have hands that are barely keepers that just fall apart completely in the face of one discard spell.

Get smacked with enough Thoughtsiezes and it will happen to you, too.

haha, i'd guess twin has been going down because its been getting hosed by jund and grixis for a while now. It will probably tick up if this eldrazi deck continues to increase metgame %. The thing the eldrazi deck is best at is spanking jund and grixis. If you play modern there are two decks everyone should have, twin or jund. Generally speaking in modern history when one is bad the other is good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I scoop to T1 thoughtseize to hide my shameful mulligan decision

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Please read the cards, especially the rare. Myr Incubator says "6, Opponent has one turn to answer this or kill you. If not, pay 6 mana to win the game." Also wheeled so many cards this draft that I had 25 playables after pack 2. Fourth Pick Spikeshot Goblin in second pack too, and wheeled several Talismans.

Somehow drew 7 lands in M2G3 which is kind of impressive in a 14 land deck. Remainer of my deck after activating Incubator was Spirit, Spirit, Irridate, Stone, Shrieker, Shaman, Blast, and 3 more basics. Oh well got Stone good times.

Also seriously do people just not read what the cards do?

that card shouldn't be going sixth pick. It's slow, but it isn't expensive to drop and counts for Affinity, and late game you just Overrun every turn. Also got a foil Lodestone Myr fourth. The rare and two uncommons were missing, so I guess that might not be horrible, but there are few cards you should take over Lodestone Myr. A 4 mana trampling 8/8 is pretty nice.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
So I gave in and bought an MTGO account and it's not that bad? The business model is very archaic but the interface isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone says it is (although I expected it to be a Duels of the Planeswalker levels of atrocious so I might have set my expectations too low). I've playing in open pauper rooms all day and it works really well, I might even drop some more money on it to play in the pauper tournament

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

superstepa posted:

So I gave in and bought an MTGO account and it's not that bad? The business model is very archaic but the interface isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone says it is (although I expected it to be a Duels of the Planeswalker levels of atrocious so I might have set my expectations too low). I've playing in open pauper rooms all day and it works really well, I might even drop some more money on it to play in the pauper tournament

It gets really bad when you start using the Collection or Trade interfaces more. Also if you play more often, you'll run into way more fun-ruining bugs. The client really is awful. It may reach the bare minimum now, but trust me - for a long time, it didn't.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The really bad part about MODO is that the v3 client was not pretty but it was totally functional and the memory leak was way less bad

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

The really bad part about MODO is that the v3 client was not pretty but it was totally functional and the memory leak was way less bad

v3 definitely did not need to use 800 megabytes of memory. v4 definitely does not need to use 1.1 gigabytes of memory, and use it poorly. It's using all this RAM and it's still sluggish as gently caress!

e: also sometimes cards won't load their art, so you just get a big Magic M in the middle of a black background. poo poo's unreal.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 8, 2016

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

GoutPatrol posted:

I just realized yesterday I had sold an Eye of Ugin for 3 bucks during the summer and completely forgot about it.

I traded one on Pucatrade last summer for 250 points, but it got lost in the mail so I didn't even get the points. Just throwing away $30.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
here's what I see at the subforum level on deck box. I don't think this is right.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

superstepa posted:

MTGO is totally fine basically and I never have any issues with it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BJPaskoff posted:

Am I the only one so turned off by #mtgfinance that I want to sell my collection and exclusively draft, or even just cube?

Sell off Modern when your poo poo spikes, buy Legacy cards, play the best format :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MiddleEastBeast posted:

MTGO is totally fine basically and I never have any issues with it.

MTGO mostly works stably for me, but I get annoyed whenever I try to use the constructed deckbuilding or collection management interfaces or basically do anything outside of drafting. It's just a ton of really terrible UI and it's all way more sluggish than it has any right to be for what it's doing. I have a decent computer so it runs well, but when you look at the amount of resources it's actually using, it's inexcusable for such a graphically simple game.

Actual gameplay works fine, I haven't run into a rules bug in years, and I haven't actually had it crash in ages. I think they've actually made progress there. Then again, I draft maybe once a week at most and I've never played a tournament longer than a 3-round draft, and I hear the longer, larger tournaments are where they've really had stability issues.

Basically, MTGO works, but everything outside of the actual gameplay is slow and ugly. And the little cosmetic annoyances (how long has it been now that colorless cards don't have their art displaying correctly?) add up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm scared of the answer to this question but is the song at the beginning of Top Level Podcast Chapin singing himself?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone please buy out goyfs so I can sell 1 instead of 2 for this airbrush compressor I need. TIA. Alternatively, just make this foil spell kite worth that much.

Also :3:

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Mtgo looks and feels cheap and is clunky to use sometimes, all of which is forgiven because it lets you draft whenever without interacting with the more abhorrent players. What feels really bad is that they charge the same for modo product as they do for paper. Which I know is our fault because we keep buying them, but charging 4 bucks for a pack of "cards" that cost 0 to produce is gross.

Not sure about Mtgo user numbers going up or down, but for me personally, I easily did 100 drafts of Innistrad alone, and I do like 3 a year now

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Please read the cards, especially the rare. Myr Incubator says "6, Opponent has one turn to answer this or kill you. If not, pay 6 mana to win the game." Also wheeled so many cards this draft that I had 25 playables after pack 2. Fourth Pick Spikeshot Goblin in second pack too, and wheeled several Talismans.

Somehow drew 7 lands in M2G3 which is kind of impressive in a 14 land deck. Remainer of my deck after activating Incubator was Spirit, Spirit, Irridate, Stone, Shrieker, Shaman, Blast, and 3 more basics. Oh well got Stone good times.

Also seriously do people just not read what the cards do?

that card shouldn't be going sixth pick. It's slow, but it isn't expensive to drop and counts for Affinity, and late game you just Overrun every turn. Also got a foil Lodestone Myr fourth. The rare and two uncommons were missing, so I guess that might not be horrible, but there are few cards you should take over Lodestone Myr. A 4 mana trampling 8/8 is pretty nice.

Myr Incubator isn't all that good unless you have something interesting to do with ~6-8 1/1s. Wail of the Nim is maindeck playable which blows it out. Also, it thins out your deck of potentially good things you want to be drawing later. I guess if you have tons of myr/talisman/artifact land it could be solid.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

God dammit.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Terrible Horse posted:

Mtgo looks and feels cheap and is clunky to use sometimes,

It looks like shareware from the 90s.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Spoiler's up

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/oathofthegatewatch

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

It looks like shareware from the 90s.

It really does.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Motherfucker, Stoneforge Acolyte.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The black removal in this set is pretty drat good by 2016 standards.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mcmagic posted:

I'm scared of the answer to this question but is the song at the beginning of Top Level Podcast Chapin singing himself?

The song at the end is definitely him, and is much worse than the beginning. Makes me cringe every time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Devor posted:

The song at the end is definitely him, and is much worse than the beginning. Makes me cringe every time.

I think it's the same song...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Captain's Claw (Cloak?) seems like the best equipment they've made for a long, long time.

• Locked thread