Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Baal posted:

I could talk to you forever about how much I love the Buu Saga and how I think Buu is a well crafted invincible villain and works really well as the cap to DBZ and everything, but at the end of the day it's DBZ. There are people who can wax and wain writing philosophy and character depth until the cows come home, but it's a series a lot of people watched as kids and don't think more about it other than "That poo poo was cool dog, yo vegeta's tight as gently caress." It's fun to talk about this stuff that way sometimes though.

Thing is, even people like the Kanzenshuu guys, people that have devoted their lives to understanding Dragon Ball, aren't really doing much of what I'm talking about either. It's those kinds of people that bother me, not as much the people that just watched DBZ as kids and thought it was cool and then moved on to other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Augus posted:

I mean skilled and effective use of form isn't something I see discussed much in general for anything, not even among supposed intellectuals and critics.

Most people, even comic/anime fans, don't know what goes into making comics. You don't see in-depth discussions about comics very often because most people don't think about stuff like panel structure, flow of action, use of shading etc. etc.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk, I used to talk to those Kanzenshuu guys back when they were just dorky gamefaqs posters and not the DBZ Website and News guys and they kinda were the same way back then too. Never really discussed anything about like the actual quality of DBZ, just a bunch of facts, trivia, and power levels.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else feel that Goku was always meant to become the world's new Master Roshi at the end of the story?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Covok posted:

Anyone else feel that Goku was always meant to become the world's new Master Roshi at the end of the story?

at the end of Dragon Ball, sure

Master Roshi's a goofy goober and Goku could have filled the shoes of weird idiot who gained a level of maturity with experience

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Covok posted:

About that...There was a Q&A section at the end of the tankōbons and one of the questions prompted Toriyama to draw this. It was pretty much exactly what you said.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Covok posted:

If GT were written better, he would have fallen into this role naturally.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Well, it just makes sense, if you ask me. Goku may not be a pervert, but he has a cooky personality and lots and lots of martial arts knowledge. Glad Toriyama agrees.

Edit: THAT mustache, holy poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

As of Dragon Ball Online, it is Krillin that takes over Master Roshi's role as the teacher of the New Turtle School.

If you ask me, it makes more sense than Goku, who has always shown an attachment to freedom. He always sticks to training one person at a time (Gohan, then Uub) and has them live by his rules and not otherwise for it, so I can't imagine him actually teaching more people, or living in a secluded island doing nothing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Goku updating the turtle school with King Kai and Yardrat techniques would be cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

uub will get a lot of use out of kaioken probably

did piccolo ever use it? you'd think he'd have learned it when he was dead. the others too, but they don't really get to fight for real anymore after the saiyan saga

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Only Goku is ever seen using the Kaio-ken during the series.

Games give it to Krillin and Yamcha too, as well as whatever characters you create in Online and Xenoverse, but in-series as far as we know Goku is the only person to ever know how to use the Kaio-ken.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Which is weird, as it would have made Piccolo's jump when fighting Frieza make a lot more sense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yeah it's weird, and it's not like it's goku's signature move or anything. he doesn't even use it after he goes super saiyan either

hell, everyone and their mother knows the kamehameha and the kaioken would help the non saiyans compete

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
My assumption is that they've learned to momentarily boost their ki in a manner similar to the Kaioken already.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mine is that toriyama forgot, much like how he forgot vegeta and gohan's tails

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oddly, Toriyama makes a note to have Krillin ask Bulma about whether Baby Trunks had his tail cut off or not in the manga when they meet shortly before 19 and 20 attack, but we never hear her answer, and it is never brought up again ever IIRC.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the doctor that heals vegeta after he gets beat up on earth asks him about his tail

vegeta says it'll grow back

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baal posted:

I could talk to you forever about how much I love the Buu Saga and how I think Buu is a well crafted invincible villain and works really well as the cap to DBZ and everything,

and you'd still be wrong

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress off, Stairmaster and eat my rear end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

[quote="Baal" post="454711823"]
I could talk to you forever about how much I love the Buu Saga and how I think Buu is a well crafted invincible villain and works really well as the cap to DBZ and everything,

and you'd still be wrong

But what if he's right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Goku used the Ken against Frieza tho.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you ask me, it makes more sense than Goku, who has always shown an attachment to freedom. He always sticks to training one person at a time (Gohan, then Uub) and has them live by his rules and not otherwise for it, so I can't imagine him actually teaching more people, or living in a secluded island doing nothing.
In the hypothetical scenario where Krillin has to train a new manga protagonist, I imagine Goku's the one he sends the kid to after the protag has to stop a new world ending threat.

This setup works eerily well.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baal posted:

I could talk to you forever about how much I love the Buu Saga and how I think Buu is a well crafted invincible villain and works really well as the cap to DBZ and everything

I'd be interested in hearing this. I've always thought Cell was a pretty good "cap" villain because he's a combination of every enemy Goku has faced before: he's got DNA of Piccolo, Vegeta, and Freeza, and was created by remnants of the Red Ribbon Army. Majin Boo's cool too but I feel like his absorption and regeneration makes him too much like Cell. I like his rubbery bubble-gum-y nature and candy magic gimick, though.

Baal posted:

Idk, I used to talk to those Kanzenshuu guys back when they were just dorky gamefaqs posters and not the DBZ Website and News guys and they kinda were the same way back then too. Never really discussed anything about like the actual quality of DBZ, just a bunch of facts, trivia, and power levels.

I remember interacting with one of those guys back in '98 or '99, when i was just an adolescent who just discovered DBZ and was excited to talk about on the internet. Back then his website was called Dainzenshuu EX. He was a huge douchebag, and weirdly confrontational if you admitted to liking the American dub. I remember he told an angry story about getting into an argument with his dad about DBZ or anime or something, and he had written an essay explaining his argument and given it to his dad for him to read, and he saw his dad's eyes skim right down to the bottom of the page, obviously not reading the body of the essay but just going right to the conclusion. And that made him write a rant about how everyone's attention spans are too short, or some poo poo, I can't remember. I just remember the part about him seeing his dad's eyes go right down to the end of his essay and getting mad about it.

So I feel kinda vindicated that, in the end, he's really just another dumb nerd who doesn't understand why he likes what he likes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Twiddy posted:

In the hypothetical scenario where Krillin has to train a new manga protagonist, I imagine Goku's the one he sends the kid to after the protag has to stop a new world ending threat.

This setup works eerily well.

And then Goku teleports in and instantly solves the problem.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I remember reading an essay on daizenshu ex comparing the saiyan saga to the pacific front in ww2 and the namek saga to the european one.

That's my stupid early millenium dbz internet story.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

with the exception of a few things (goku being a dick and not bringing videl the senzu bean and the way they throw gohan under the bus at the eleventh hour after all that build up to his awakening), the buu saga is pretty much perfect for what it is imo

like I called goku's decision making over not killing buu into question earlier, but it makes sense in the context of the series tbh. and besides which, I agree with his logic that some dead dude shouldn't be the one cleaning up every mess. same with how old kai being annoyed at the overuse of the dragon balls made sense, and I'm glad he was there to bring it up even tho everyone ignored him and were probably totally right to do so

I think buu's regeneration makes way more sense than cell's, too. like cell just has that thing in his head that lets him regenerate, even tho his head gets blown up at least twice before he dies for real, and none of the people he had dna from could do that. buu, on the other hand, is literally magic. I like the cell and android saga tho, and I always appreciated how it wasn't goku beating the big bad at the end of the day there since they'd been building up to gohan being the strongest since like radditz

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Cell's regeneration comes from Piccolo's cells. Namekians have a long history of being able to regenerate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they can regenerate limbs

they can't regenerate half of their body getting blown off, or being vaporized. cell specifically says why he can do this (the little whatever it is in his head). the explanation for why he can regenerate the way he does is why it doesn't make sense, really. like if he just said "I have namekian regeneration but it's better because I'm perfect" then yeah ok I'll buy that, but he says it's the thing in his head... which he loses twice before gohan kills him no for real this time. it even shows his regeneration organ getting atomized when he dies to show he's dead for good now

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I agree that the other Z-fighters should have learned kai-o-ken. It would have been an easy AND reasonable way to allow them to compete (or at least not be totally embarrassed) with the more powerful threats. In fact, that's what I thought was going to happen when Piccolo, Tien, Yamcha, and Chaozu went to train at King Kai's planet. What the hell happened? Sure, Piccolo was only there for like a week, but Yamcha was there for at least 4 months, and Tien/Chaozu were there for 8 months. What the hell were they doing all that time? (for comparison, Goku learned those techniques within 2 months)

And since we're on the subject, why does Goku not use it anymore after he turns SSJ? I always figured (though I don't think it was ever confirmed) that for whatever reason, SSJ prevents any further power multipliers. A dozen or so pages back, I think it was Caros who said something that I never actually thought of. What if zenkai boosts in general were gone once a saiyan learned to go SSJ? The more I think about it, the more it seems clear that nobody ever officially commented on any increases in power once any SSJ ate a senzu bean immediately after getting beaten up. Granted, it was never confirmed one way or the other, but it would kinda make some sense.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Manatee Cannon posted:

with the exception of a few things (goku being a dick and not bringing videl the senzu bean and the way they throw gohan under the bus at the eleventh hour after all that build up to his awakening), the buu saga is pretty much perfect for what it is imo

Gohan's fate was sealed the instant he chose his next powerup to be achieved via sitting on his rear end for a day.

That is no way to cap off a story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Some Numbers posted:

Cell's regeneration comes from Piccolo's cells. Namekians have a long history of being able to regenerate.
That's basically going from "Piccolo can regenerate if he stops and concentrates!" to "Wolverine was at ground zero of a nuclear blast and he was OK 10 seconds later" territory.

Mr Interweb posted:

What the hell were they doing all that time?
Well Goku is a fightmans genius. He's like that kid in high school Calculus that's breezing by while everyone else is struggling to remember what the violin symbol means.

So King Kai basically saw he was sent retards and had them do the equivalent of multiplication table handouts.
(Piccolo, of course, took one look at the syllabus and said gently caress This I'll just ace the midterm)

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 8, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea if namekians had cell's regeneration, piccolo sr. and the namekians that die on namek would never have died

Pureauthor posted:

Gohan's fate was sealed the instant he chose his next powerup to be achieved via sitting on his rear end for a day.

That is no way to cap off a story.

mystic gohan was cooler than ssj3, and mystic gohan was literally just gohan

gotenks kinda pull it off because they're a doofy little kid with silly kid moves, but goku looks like a massive dork in no eyebrows mode

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

they can't regenerate half of their body getting blown off, or being vaporized. cell specifically says why he can do this (the little whatever it is in his head). the explanation for why he can regenerate the way he does is why it doesn't make sense, really. like if he just said "I have namekian regeneration but it's better because I'm perfect" then yeah ok I'll buy that, but he says it's the thing in his head... which he loses twice before gohan kills him no for real this time. it even shows his regeneration organ getting atomized when he dies to show he's dead for good now

It's most likely improved upon, but it must be based on what you get combining namekian regeneration with Freeza's resilience. We saw Freeza can live after being cut in tiny pieces, he just can't recover from it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr Interweb posted:

I agree that the other Z-fighters should have learned kai-o-ken. It would have been an easy AND reasonable way to allow them to compete (or at least not be totally embarrassed) with the more powerful threats.

They should also have learned instant transmission. A combination of instant transmission, kaio-ken, solar flare and destructo disk is probably enough for even Yamcha to take care of most threats in Dragonball quickly and easily on his own all the way up to Cell.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 8, 2016

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

tsob posted:

They should also have learned instant transmission. A combination of instant transmission, kaio-ken, solar flare and destructo disk is probably enough for even Yamcha to take care of most threats in Dragonball quickly and easily on his own all the way up to Cell.

I don't know, the power of this technique seems to have eluded even Whis, who appears to be some sort of god of time and space.

edit: Wait, new theory: Just like Vegeta gained energy sensing from Earth, the planet Yardrat itself grants the inherent abilities needed to transmit instantly and in order for any of them to learn it they would have to go there, but Goku forgot where it was and none of them are strong enough for him to sense.

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 8, 2016

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Manatee Cannon posted:

they can't regenerate half of their body getting blown off, or being vaporized.

Piccolo regenerated his whole body after Dabura died. It was broken by Trunks earlier.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The entire point of Cell is that he's got Frieza's cells as well which operate independently of each other, letting Frieza survive in the vacuum of space whilst being so catastrophically damaged that at this point he's half a head and an arm. Frieza was still alive in Super even after being diced up by Trunks.

I don't even think Cell even really knows where his core is so much as that when he self destructs it doesn't get destroyed. He was completely unaware that that would even happen when he killed himself. He doesn't even realise what the implications of his design are until after that when he finally "Gets" what Gero did, which is create a being that can survive catastrophic wounds, regenerate and then Zenkai.

Oh and I recall in Kai that it's explicitly stated by Piccolo in his fight with 20 that all the Z-Warriors can hilariously spike their power levels when they need to, which definitely implies that they all figured out Kaioken.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Piccolo regenerated his whole body after Dabura died. It was broken by Trunks earlier.

As long as his head is okay he can regenerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh and I recall in Kai that it's explicitly stated by Piccolo in his fight with 20 that all the Z-Warriors can hilariously spike their power levels when they need to, which definitely implies that they all figured out Kaioken.

nah that's, like, raditz era "they can hide their power" stuff

it caught both the saiyans and the frieza henchmen off guard that they could hide their power without a transformation

• Locked thread