Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fintilgin posted:

I'm assuming 'full' equality is going to be locked behind Catharism and such anyway. But I'd really like it if they opened up women for republics and maybe even some branches of Islam?

It isn't locked, it is just supposed to be a lot of effort to achieve and something the AI will never do. Its just there as a "well you want to have that 30 martial daughter lead your armies? Better start changing poo poo then. "
Essentially just if you were part of the crowd that wanted Absolute Cognatic succession without switching to a religion or culture, here's an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

It isn't locked, it is just supposed to be a lot of effort to achieve and something the AI will never do. Its just there as a "well you want to have that 30 martial daughter lead your armies? Better start changing poo poo then. "
Essentially just if you were part of the crowd that wanted Absolute Cognatic succession without switching to a religion or culture, here's an option.

:c00l:

Does it work for republics and such? I guess that's really tricky with matralineal marriage. I know I always enjoy republics and muslims less, knowing half my kids are basically useless and it's all dudes all the time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groogy posted:

That's pretty much what I wished for

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

What's a good character and start to start learning Nomads with? My first attempts at Horse Lords ended with the Yabguids stomping over a bit of Khiva before my 26 year old Khan died with an infant son and the realm passing into an AI death spiral which is going to end in me getting annexed.

So yeah, any good/fun nomad starts?

Conclave looks cool as hell.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm a sucker for more internal realm action, so this expansion looks pretty drat sweet so far. That said, I'm a bit curious about the names of the 'Status of Women' laws.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't "Significant" and "Notable" be switched around? I always got the impression that "significant" was a, for lack of a better word, stronger than "notable".

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm a sucker for more internal realm action, so this expansion looks pretty drat sweet so far. That said, I'm a bit curious about the names of the 'Status of Women' laws.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't "Significant" and "Notable" be switched around? I always got the impression that "significant" was a, for lack of a better word, stronger than "notable".

As an English major (:lol:) I'm inclined to agree. I'm not keen on "notable" at all honestly.

Edit: I might go for: marginal, moderate, significant

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's almost as if this game is developed by Swedes or something. This expansion looks fantastic by the way, I wasn't thrilled with the eastward crawl so internal mechanics is really enticing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yes. Yeeeessssssssssssssssssssss.

Trailer needs more beard, though.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Going to assume it's meant in the French sense of the Assemblée des notables - meaning women can be part of your council, even if the land isn't under Absolute Cognatic succession (which would be Full status)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Excelzior posted:

Going to assume it's meant in the French sense of the Assemblée des notables - meaning women can be part of your council, even if the land isn't under Absolute Cognatic succession (which would be Full status)

I would assume it was that not unknown for women to hold positions of significance in the court, but it was really noteworthy for some jobs - steward or chancellor, for example - to be held by a woman. So it would be:

Traditional - barefoot and pregnant in ye kitchen. Can't hold any position.
Marginal - can tutor children and that's about it.
Significant - can hold some positions of relevance (Spymaster etc) and honorary titles that don't completely lack power.
Notable - Odds wounds, the Count de Bourgeois allows mere women to govern his finances! Can hold any non-military title.
Full - women can hold any position including Marshal and Commander.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

^ pretty much

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Groogy posted:

^ pretty much

This is fantastic. Can't wait to see the paradox forums explode over the fact that their Spanish Cathar Iceland might have ~feeeemales~ in power.

Can't have althistory here, after all.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
Do we know the distinction between the different administration laws? I assume feudal is normal, imperial is viceroyalties, but what is "late"?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mythomanic posted:

Do we know the distinction between the different administration laws? I assume feudal is normal, imperial is viceroyalties, but what is "late"?

the weird transition period between feudal and parliamentary?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

How is West Africa being buffed and expanded on in this patch?

I can hope, okay?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

This is fantastic. Can't wait to see the paradox forums explode over the fact that their Spanish Cathar Iceland might have ~feeeemales~ in power.

Can't have althistory here, after all.

Man I assumed you'd be exaggerating here but I was reading the thread groody linked and yeah, welp

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Groogy posted:

^ pretty much

Mercia better start on notable at least then since the queens were for all intents and purposes co rulers

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I love how much Paradox are still doing with this brilliant, brilliant game. With the possible nerf to map-painting, more internal mechanics are just what's needed. I very rarely buy expansions at full price but I have so many hours in CK2 it seems rude not to.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

quote:

I hope the "status of women" thing doesn't turn out to be another batch of ahistorical liberal swedish social justice warrior bullshit shoved into the game. You know, like the silly patch feature which allows every single female ruler to lead armies into battle.

:eyepop:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Burn the Paradox forums.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yes totally fighting for social justice when we are just giving an option that members of the community has asked for. Thought it was called capitalizing on a demand by providing supply. Also called making the money.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
well dont

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Groogy posted:

Yes totally fighting for social justice when we are just giving an option that members of the community has asked for. Thought it was called capitalizing on a demand by providing supply. Also called making the money.

i, a paradox forum user, am personally deeply offended that paradox has chosen to depict women as anything more than babyfactories and concubines, and furthermore

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Won't they come around when they remember their beloved Byzantines had no less than three reigning empresses during the CK time period, and god-knows how many empresses-regent?

(On that note, why is Irene of Athens' religion Catholic in the Charlemagne scenario? She opposed the Iconoclasts, but never showed any real sympathy for the Pope...)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
lol this is the game where you can kidnap women from other countries and force them to be your sex slaves, but it's got an "SJW agenda" because some laws might allow women to hold some positions of power, sure.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Anyone who has played After the End, any idea why some of the Americanists in Florida can get concubines but some cannot? I cannot for the life of me find any differences. I thought maybe it was a cultural thing but nah, unless it is bugging out here and there.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Synnr posted:

Anyone who has played After the End, any idea why some of the Americanists in Florida can get concubines but some cannot? I cannot for the life of me find any differences. I thought maybe it was a cultural thing but nah, unless it is bugging out here and there.

Tribal vs Feudal, maybe?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

Tribal vs Feudal, maybe?

Unless I'm missing some incredibly minor thing here (entirely possible, I haven't really done tribal anything), no that isn't it. I dunno whats up with it. Some of the mouseketeer guys have concubines, some don't have the space in their sheet. I chose the independent guy west of them and I don't have the option for concubines but one of my vassals does? It is all kinds of weird.

It might just be some weirdness with Americanism being in there with the pagan stuff and not showing up right. I was deeply confused when I realized the atom worshippers were in my religion group.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Angry Salami posted:

Won't they come around when they remember their beloved Byzantines had no less than three reigning empresses during the CK time period, and god-knows how many empresses-regent?

(On that note, why is Irene of Athens' religion Catholic in the Charlemagne scenario? She opposed the Iconoclasts, but never showed any real sympathy for the Pope...)

Who was that one lady who married a dude and basically she'd ride into battle with him as his queen? Was that Eleanor of Aquitaine?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

My current best commander is an 82 year old with 32 martial. He doesn't even have the 'Jesus gives military advice' trait.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So how much work is it to mod in a completely new map (like, a new fictional continent in place of the vanilla world)? I've got a really crazy Crisis of the Confederation-inspired idea.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Who was that one lady who married a dude and basically she'd ride into battle with him as his queen? Was that Eleanor of Aquitaine?

Sikelgaita, wife of Robert Guiscard, aka Robert D'Hauteville in CK2 1066 start.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Groogy posted:

Everyone knows Scandanavians aren't capitalists. Don't lie to us. :argh:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
When Paradox added an option that the community had asked for i lost my ability to feel human etc.

Actually lost my ability to feel human when they didn't install bookshelf wallpaper in the new office :(

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Edit: This looks great. I am really interested in the women rights thing. I can't tell you how many times I tried to start with a Queen only to have by game end when she died.

Shard fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 8, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Drone posted:

So how much work is it to mod in a completely new map (like, a new fictional continent in place of the vanilla world)? I've got a really crazy Crisis of the Confederation-inspired idea.
A lot. Not so much for the map itself, but for filling it with titles and characters to hold them.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
Isn't war score meant to tick up as long as you control the holding in question or does it only go down when you don't control it? I've been fighting a war against the Knights Hospitaller for 7 loving years over 1 barony which I have held the whole time, I've been beating them and their allies in battles and besieging their allies' holdings yet seems the only thing making the war score go up is to walk all across Europe besieging their baronies 1 by 1. That seems dumb. If I achieved my objective and they have had no success whatsoever dislodging me in 7 years then...shouldn't I win?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My council voting on poo poo? drat, they be ignorable for consequences and I hope to hell they don't use the awful logic used by regents to decide poo poo. (Or at least a bit more lenient version)

Other than that, looking baller. Though the weakening of marital alliances will still make me cry a lil.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Synnr posted:

Unless I'm missing some incredibly minor thing here (entirely possible, I haven't really done tribal anything), no that isn't it. I dunno whats up with it. Some of the mouseketeer guys have concubines, some don't have the space in their sheet. I chose the independent guy west of them and I don't have the option for concubines but one of my vassals does? It is all kinds of weird.

It might just be some weirdness with Americanism being in there with the pagan stuff and not showing up right. I was deeply confused when I realized the atom worshippers were in my religion group.

The green guy that isn't Caribbean empire? That guy is Brethren the Pirate religion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Eustachy posted:

Isn't war score meant to tick up as long as you control the holding in question or does it only go down when you don't control it? I've been fighting a war against the Knights Hospitaller for 7 loving years over 1 barony which I have held the whole time, I've been beating them and their allies in battles and besieging their allies' holdings yet seems the only thing making the war score go up is to walk all across Europe besieging their baronies 1 by 1. That seems dumb. If I achieved my objective and they have had no success whatsoever dislodging me in 7 years then...shouldn't I win?
I've noticed that if it's a minor holding it doesn't tick up. Sucks big time when someone's main holdings are on the other side of the map.

• Locked thread