Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

Have you read Our Man In Havana, cause with the obvious exception of the loathsome Batista-era policeman most of the characters in that are relatively likeable in a dim-witted sort of way

No, I haven't -- thanks for the rec. I've somehow avoided reading (not on purpose) his "political intrigue novels" like that one, The Quiet American, etc. I need to get on that. After I read more Melville :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What on earth did Greene write that's not a political thriller? They're all about getting chased around by agents of someone or other.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

What on earth did Greene write that's not a political thriller? They're all about getting chased around by agents of someone or other.

End of the Affair?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yo Hieronymous post the list of votes for this thread I want to see what wieners are voting us 1

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

End of the Affair?

My definition of the word political is expansive. Also I really hated that book. Hagiography is hard to make interesting and I really don't trust what Greene has to say about women.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

My definition of the word political is expansive. Also I really hated that book. Hagiography is hard to make interesting and I really don't trust what Greene has to say about women.

Yeah book is really good at chasing the reader away from Catholicism.

As to votes, I haven't looked and can't look right now for this thread, but as a general rule almost no threads in this forum get any significant number of votes at all, positive or negative. Too low traffic.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The low votes are from a sweaty half-crazed George R.R. Martin, registering accounts just to lower the rating on this thread.

I'm about sixty percent of the way through City On Fire. I'll do a long post on what I thought about the book and all that when I'm done but I'm leaning pretty positive right now.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

Brighton Rock, The Power and the Glory, The Heart of the Matter, and The End of the Affair are traditionally considered his four "Catholic novels". This is kind of silly, because his first novel, The Man Within, and others like A Burnt Out Case and The Comedians, have also got religious and specifically Catholic themes running through them. (Good article talking about this)

I've read all of the above except for The Power and the Glory and The Comedians, as well as The The Ministry of Fear, The Tenth Man, and a few of Greene's short stories.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah book is really good at chasing the reader away from Catholicism.
Interesting. I read the End of the Affair when I was a really devout Catholic and didn't feel that way at all, but then again, I was basically soaking in the Kool-Aid at that point of my life. I'll have to re-read The Heart of the Matter, but at the time (also during this period), I felt that it could only be fully appreciated by a devout Catholic reader, since the climactic act in the tragedy of the main character's life was when he took Communion knowing he had a mortal sin on his conscience. I remember wanting to cry when that happened -- I don't think I'd react that way now, even though I still intellectually understand the gravity of the act.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rabbit Hill posted:

But then there's Graham Greene, of whose works I've read at least 6-7, and each one populated with deeply unpleasant people.....but Greene's plots, themes, prose, etc., are all so profound and dexterously handled that it just doesn't matter that I don't like anybody he writes about. (Seriously, not one single character of his is anything better than prickly and off-putting. Even so, he's one of my favorite writers.)

Ida is great.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Brighton Rock is a pretty straightforward crime novel. I guess there are technically "agents" in it of a criminal organization, but it's not really political at all.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wasn't this a GBS thread originally? Probably where all the votes came from.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I didn't do any reading over the break, got some bad airport novels as gifts, and then had to return all my checked out books because they were all overdue. Anyway, I think I'm going to read shorter stuff because I apparently can't find the time to finish 1,000 page novels anytime soon. I still have Palm of the Hand stories to read though, I've been doing like one or two a day.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nanomashoes posted:

Wasn't this a GBS thread originally? Probably where all the votes came from.

No, please do not own all of us by calling this a GBS thread

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The first 5 pages of this thread were great for people calling Smoking Crow a fucker and threatening to track him down and beat him to death with a fantasy hardback.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

The first 5 pages of this thread were great for people calling Smoking Crow a fucker and threatening to track him down and beat him to death with a fantasy hardback.

I'd still like to see them try.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cloks posted:

The low votes are from a sweaty half-crazed George R.R. Martin, registering accounts just to lower the rating on this thread.

Why would he vote this thread down when the asoiaf bad thread is the one making GBS threads all over him? The worst we ever did is ignore him.

Pretty sure the bad votes are from people who read the title and scrunched up their noses and voted '1' and went back to whatever s/f series thread. Or that one dude who requested a ban after he got owned in here about Cormac McCarthy lol.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I wish i could go back in time and recommend the guy who said all high lit is depressing Lucky Jim

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Burning Rain posted:

I have that impression, too, and that's why I haven't read any of his books yet. I want to give him a go this year, though. Which one should I start with?

extension du domaine de la lutte is the only houellebecq worth reading

e: oh and his essay on lovecraft

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is Kim by Kipling any good? The great game period sounds really interesting and apparently that's where the name came from. I'm open to suggestions if there are other good books about it.
I'm kind of in a spy mood in general so I might try something by John le Carré.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

DisDisDis posted:

Is Kim by Kipling any good?

just give it a read and find out for yourself :)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Turns out it's free online and only about two hundred pages. I think I'll do that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Or that one dude who requested a ban after he got owned in here about Cormac McCarthy lol.
he was my favourite because he'd been here for like ten years without getting in trouble and all it took for him to have a fatal meltdown was someone saying that Cormac McCarthy was good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bandiet posted:

One of Vonnegut's rules of writing was "Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for." While I'm sure that's still not necessary for some people, I definitely agree with that more than thoroughly loving a character, which is pretty facile.

I believe at some point he said that if you're a good enough writer you can break any of his rules except one: Don't make the reader feel like their time has been wasted.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Or that one dude who requested a ban after he got owned in here about Cormac McCarthy lol.

wait when was this it sounds funny

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Earwicker posted:

wait when was this it sounds funny

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994&userid=16633

I felt kinda bad for him :smith:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

And here is his ban request, 11 minutes later:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747810&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post452446272

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he was my favourite because he'd been here for like ten years without getting in trouble and all it took for him to have a fatal meltdown was someone saying that Cormac McCarthy was good

I mean, not even "good" just "not intentionally racist". Like he thought McCarthy was actually psyched about cowboys and native slaughter and got real upset and confused when people pointed out otherwise.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I know I'm reading The Recognitions but Agnes Deigh is the most Pynchon name I've ever seen.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Thomas Pynchon being the pseudonym Gaddis adopted after The Recognitions bombed so badly.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Thomas Pynchon being the pseudonym Gaddis adopted after The Recognitions bombed so badly.

and then after he was disappointed with V. he let Heller write under the name and started using Gass, yes.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Nanomashoes posted:

and then after he was disappointed with V. he let Heller write under the name and started using Gass, yes.

What is that letter from?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

What is that letter from?

Some guy on /lit/ was posting some pictures claiming they were Pynchon's letters from the UT Austin library. I can't guarantee their veracity, but they seem very Pynchon to me. Here's an archive of everything he posted. Here's the thread.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

Some guy on /lit/ was posting some pictures claiming they were Pynchon's letters from the UT Austin library. I can't guarantee their veracity, but they seem very Pynchon to me. Here's an archive of everything he posted. Here's the thread.

I will inspect them and report back, as resident Pynchonologist.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mdemone posted:

I will inspect them and report back, as resident Pynchonologist.

Whats your major?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I manage to squeeze together enough time to read, Chinua Achebe's Things fall Apart, a story about the effects of colonialism on a confederation of Ibo villages, but mainly a description of their culture and way of life.
I recently read the Decline and Fall of the British Empire so this novel made for an effective appendix from the native perspective. The descriptions of Ibo life is colourful and rich, but also very easy to follow. It also avoids glorifying their customs and behaviours, it simple describes a custom or attitude and then gives the reason for it and leaves it at that.

I'll be on the lookout for more of Chinua's work in the future.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Things Fall Apart is really really bad

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Things Fall Apart is really really bad

Only if you read it through the lens of Western aesthetic expectations

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
OK, Nigerian aesthetic expectations are bad

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
what didn't you like about it, Ras?

(i think it's A Good Book, myself, as is A Man of the People)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I read Invisible Cities. I liked it, but man, I should have picked a better time to read it. I don't think it's a book meant for reading on the bus. I missed a lot of small details and I feel like an idiot now.