Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Doughty's given a timeline of events to try and make it clear it was all above board. He did it 'so people wouldn't have a chance to smear me'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nobody's questioning his motives though so uh

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baka kaba posted:

Nobody's questioning his motives though so uh

Yeah I don't think he quite gets why people are angry.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The funny thing is, if anything this makes it easier to smear him - instead of quietly bowing out on principle, he ends up being used as a tool to put the boot in on Corbyn and maximise the political damage. Which might have been what he was going for but I don't know how this would avoid getting called out on it

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

Facebook is here with the news that the BBC won't tell you.

It's no #drummondpuddlewatch, that's for sure.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
When people were talking decades ago about people turning news into lowest common denominator entertainment, I don't think they realised how far we had left to sink...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait until the Tories give the news carte blanche to lie on air in the name of free speech.

serious gaylord posted:

Doughty's given a timeline of events to try and make it clear it was all above board. He did it 'so people wouldn't have a chance to smear me'.
Can we start spelling his last name as Doughy because that's how I've been reading it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My favourite is still this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ99VULQRI4

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

baka kaba posted:

The funny thing is, if anything this makes it easier to smear him - instead of quietly bowing out on principle, he ends up being used as a tool to put the boot in on Corbyn and maximise the political damage. Which might have been what he was going for but I don't know how this would avoid getting called out on it

nobody knew who he was before he did this so all he's done is piss people off and look like a massive dick

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

A column at the Sun awaits!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its made the mail and guardian websites but it is starting to run out of steam now.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/08/bbc-stephen-doughty-daily-politics-laura-kuenssberg

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
G4S staff choking, suffocating, punching, and stabbing with forks children under their care.

quote:

Staff members from the G4S security group punched and suffocated children in a series of incidents amounting to abuse and mistreatment of the young people in their charge, it has been claimed.

Seven workers at the Medway Secure Training Centre in Rochester have been suspended over the allegations, which stem from as-yet unaired undercover filming by the BBC’s Panorama programme.

It has been reported that staff members punched one child in the ribs and another was slapped several times on the head, with police in Kent saying they have been made aware of the claims of “unnecessary use of force and the use of improper language” at the facility.

The centre is managed jointly by the Youth Justice Board and G4S contractors, and the government has suspended the placement of new youngsters at the facility until the claims are investigated.

According to a report in the Times, staff were alleged to have used unnecessary forms of restraint, including squeezing a teenager’s windpipe so he struggled to breathe.

Staff allegedly boasted of their worst mistreatments of young people, including apparently using a fork to stab one child in the leg and another who made a child cry uncontrollably.

And it is also claimed that G4S workers deliberately tried to avoid detection for their actions by ensuring they were underneath CCTV cameras or in areas they knew were not filmed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a6802071.html

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

G4S staff choking, suffocating, punching, and stabbing with forks children under their care.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a6802071.html

This stuff isn't even surprising anymore. Private enterprise sure knows how to cut that oversight red tape!

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

``...an explosion in the engine room ... would have destroyed a lesser ship''
I can't wait until G4S replace the police and justice system entirely, they have such a good track record! I mean, they've not had a Hillsborough yet, but they'll get there in no time, I'm sure

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

This stuff isn't even surprising anymore. Private enterprise sure knows how to cut that oversight red tape!
Unfortunately where children are involved I'm not sure you can say the public or third sector has a better record. At least they didn't rape them or give access keys to a serial predator.

For cost efficiency reasons, public might be better. For child protection reasons, they should probably all be wearing bodycams or something.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Guavanaut posted:

Unfortunately where children are involved I'm not sure you can say the public sector has a better record. At least they didn't rape them or give access keys to a serial predator.

For cost efficiency reasons, public might be better. For child protection reasons, they should probably all be wearing bodycams or something.

That we know of yet. Weren't G4S involved in the Yarl's Wood allegations?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Also, I wouldn't be desperately surprised if the Mail picked the story up.
Their hatred of the BBC probably transcends their leaning towards conservative values, so this is the sort of thing they'd enjoy printing.

Not today. They've gone with cage being allowed to give 13 lectures challenging prevent in 2015, despite the mail making a huge fuss through most of 2015 about people being barred from speaking at unis

Namtab fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 8, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/08/officer-claims-met-police-improperly-destroyed-files-on-green-party-peer?CMP=share_btn_tw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

That we know of yet. Weren't G4S involved in the Yarl's Wood allegations?
It wouldn't surprise me, but having staff around children who are abusive pieces of poo poo is far from something unique to the private sector. The private sector has different perverse incentives to cover it up, like it affecting the chances of their contract being renewed, but some kind of better oversight is clearly necessary no matter which sector is dealing with the kids.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah just look at the Church

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Guavanaut posted:

It wouldn't surprise me, but having staff around children who are abusive pieces of poo poo is far from something unique to the private sector. The private sector has different perverse incentives to cover it up, like it affecting the chances of their contract being renewed, but some kind of better oversight is clearly necessary no matter which sector is dealing with the kids.

Oh true, I agree completely. I think the past few years have showed that public and private can be equally abusive, better oversight, transparency and accountability is without doubt needed in both. My comment was more 'always assume that whatever you hear about G4S, it's probably going to get worse'.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
An articulate and devastating takedown of the recent behaviour of the Blairites from small c conservative Tim Stanley:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12088221/Jeremy-Corbyns-Labour-critics-have-got-more-cheek-than-a-baboons-bottom.html

Edit: godammit

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 8, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Bill Clinton should be president of everything forever:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

Bill Clinton should be president of everything forever:

These are most likely fake i'm afraid. The plates one certainly is.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Oh well, made me laugh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah pretty much, but at least with the public sector you tend to have inquiries and consequences. If Jimmy Saville had been a private company he'd have been given a new contract, or at least had to bow out for while (replaced by Simmy Javille)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pistol_Pete posted:

An articulate and devastating takedown of the recent behaviour of the Blairites from small c conservative Tim Stanley:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12088221/Jeremy-Corbyns-Labour-critics-have-got-more-cheek-than-a-baboons-bottom.html

Fixed your link

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah pretty much, but at least with the public sector you tend to have inquiries and consequences. If Jimmy Saville had been a private company he'd have been given a new contract, or at least had to bow out for while (replaced by Simmy Javille)

Probably not the best example since Saville in fact never faced any consequences

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
So McFadden got the can and some other shadow ministers quit in a blaze of publicity that meant their names will be half-remembered forever.

lol

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Last year a couple of people in the thread asked for notice of whenever the Marx Memorial Library holds its next online course in political economy, and it's starting at the end of the month. Signups are here. I've never taken an MML course so I can't speak to the quality of it, but it's there and it's £20 for four classes with a £10 concession rate for low waged/unwaged.

quote:

The course is at an introductory level. It seeks to identify the key differences between Marx's approach and those of neo-liberal economics. It considers how Marx defines labour as the only source of new value and its implications for the understanding of capitalist crisis.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

LemonDrizzle posted:

Oh well, made me laugh.
                                   /
                                 /

e: They are pretty good though.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

:captainpop:

the link in the tweet goes to: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/01/where-labour-heading-trident

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

General China posted:

I bought some potassium nitrate off amazon a month ago.

I'm hosed.
Making ham?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cerv posted:

Probably not the best example since Saville in fact never faced any consequences

They moved his headstone and everything

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

They moved his headstone and everything
They moved it to the other end so it's now a pedstone.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

quote:

The Labour leader's most significant victory was over defence. Trident supporter Maria Eagle, now shadow culture secretary, was replaced in the brief by Emily Thornberry, an opponent of renewal. This, as CND has been quick to hail, paves the way for Labour to become a unilateralist party for the first time since 1989. "We were too focused on Hilary [Benn] and they got one over on us with Emily's appointment," a shadow minister told me.

If Corbyn is such a bumbling old fool then I'm not sure what it says about the Blairites that (by their own admission) he keeps outfoxing them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Same sort of thing it says about them that they were overwhelmingly crushed in the leadership election by the most unelectable man in Britain.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

They moved it to the other end so it's now a pedstone.

:eyepop:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't Conference end up voting for Trident? This could be a little awkward from a perspective of empowering the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Edit: godammit

The last line though!

quote:

Unless the Labour Right actively campaigns for a leader and for an agenda that can win Labour a majority, they will be easily cast as wreckers, scabs and traitors. And the Left historically has never been kind to those.

If that's not a dogwhistle about Stalinist purges then I am massively over-sensitive to right-wing nonsense because of too much internet over the past 15 years.

• Locked thread