Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
:krad:

As dumb as GW can be, it's always so cool to see what comes out of a lot of people's effort. That is one well-forged narrative dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
The people are the only thing that makes this hobby worth it. The rules and game itself sure as poo poo doesnt.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

DJ Dizzy posted:

The people are the only thing that makes this hobby worth it. The rules and game itself sure as poo poo doesnt.

Probs the best write up I've read in a minute.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm hard for that campaign. Starting one of my own soon!

Do you have any tips, bulbasaur? I'm looking at the amount of points you can spend to attack places and it just doesn't look like that many especially when you consider when those are exhausted that's when the campaign ends

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We're doing escalation and unit musters (IE- once you use something its part of your unit pool). So far the point values have been working out pretty well as things progress and people are taking more conservative 'all around' units because they have limited flexibility after adding them in. I think its a cool mechanic and it has worked very well to tone down the power levels. Check out the links to our rules- feel free to copy anything that looks interesting. The FW campaign rules are pretty good, but even with modifications the character advancement system is mediocre. In our next campaign I'll probably make our own tables for advancement, allow you to apply them to entire units, but also make them much harder to get. Getting 2 after each battle if you win as written in the book is broken unless your campaigns are tiny.

As for RPs remember that each side has a pool of reserve points. That effectively means that you have double the amount of actions. 3 RP is a total of 6 games etc. I gave each army a way to increase this number if they fulfill hidden objectives. Hit me up via PM and I can send you these rules. Each legion got 2 crazy abilities and 1 hidden objective that can totally change the metagame or counter somebody else. It's been fun so far.

I'll let Hixson or somebody else besides Stanyer69 post about their experiences.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Can anyone post or link a tutorial on weathering so I can make some old timey beaten up astartes. Without an airbrush preferably.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That campaign looks really awesome, Bulbasaur. Wish you hams were near me.

How do you all feel about Destroyer squads in general?

I'm considering getting some to be a crew for my jump-pack-equipped Moritat. That means they'd end up pretty expensive points-wise with packs. Should I just run a small squad of 4 + sergeant, with one carrying a rad missile launcher, or run at least 9 + sergeant?

Also, one or two phosphex bombs for the sarge? They seem dope.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

nopantsjack posted:

Can anyone post or link a tutorial on weathering so I can make some old timey beaten up astartes. Without an airbrush preferably.

Foam chipping with very dark silver metallics and weathering powders are your friend.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Never heard of foam chipping. Sounds sexy. Got a guide?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have a bunch of weathering guides on my lovely blog, but it's all reposted in the painting thread. Go check it out.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

DrPop posted:

How do you all feel about Destroyer squads in general?

I'm considering getting some to be a crew for my jump-pack-equipped Moritat. That means they'd end up pretty expensive points-wise with packs. Should I just run a small squad of 4 + sergeant, with one carrying a rad missile launcher, or run at least 9 + sergeant?

Also, one or two phosphex bombs for the sarge? They seem dope.

I have a squad of 10 incoming with two radiation missile launchers. They may not be the greatest, but they'll be an amazing distraction. The people I play with do not like the idea of Toughness dropping.

Plus, Night Lords. I have to, right?

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

overthefalls posted:

I have a squad of 10 incoming with two radiation missile launchers. They may not be the greatest, but they'll be an amazing distraction. The people I play with do not like the idea of Toughness dropping.

Plus, Night Lords. I have to, right?

If it constitutes psychological warfare, then yes , you are morally obligated to do so.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

I have a bunch of weathering guides on my lovely blog, but it's all reposted in the painting thread. Go check it out.

You should havemake Hixson post painting guides for his thousand sons dudes as well.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

I'm personally not a huge fan of the airbrushed greens - the lights, coils, etc. but everything else about those models is baller as hell.

To be honest I've seen very, very few successful "light glow" effects done. I'm talking one or two. The only one I remember was on a recent MWG video with a Necron monolith and a single light looked just like an LED had been put in.

This is out of hundreds. The intended effect is supposed to be a glow effect but ends up looking like an ugly blotch of bright paint.

I saw one a while back where the guy had airbrushed a blue plasma glow over more than a third of his/her fantastically painted mechanicum. :psyduck:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This week we get the Dark Furies.

Neat models, but those leg poses are kind of... awkward.

The Istvaan Banana Slip Massacre.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
New Forgeworld FAQ is out, shits great
- Delegatus is AMAZING now. 15 instead of 25 points and gets a free master-crafted weapon. Great HQ choice for lower point games now
- tartarus termies can sweep
- Primarch can be the army’s Warlord
- legion drop pods have forced disembarkation
- Dreads get base 3 attacks
- relics removed from regular games unless agreed on
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Was going to say, a lot of cool poo poo in there.
Also noticed that Dark Angels Praevians get their own unique upgrade (+15ppm for re-roll wounds vs MC) and of course Knights are updated with all the recent plastic toys.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Was base 30k written for 6th?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Holy poo poo, those Dark Furies. I've been looking for those 'talon' type lightning claws everywhere. Meanwhile I have one friend who wants the marine bodies for a project of his and another who's drooling at the sight of those jump packs. I think we're going to order a couple of packs and split 'em up.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

moths posted:

Was base 30k written for 6th?

Yes.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Mor Deythan and vet squads are now scorig. And RG can infiltrate Praevians with tank hunting castellaxes. VICTOR AUT MORT MOTHERFUCKERS.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

koreban posted:

You should havemake Hixson post painting guides for his thousand sons dudes as well.

I've been meaning to make a guide or two. I even have a blog (that I haven't posted to in over year). But guides are pretty :effort:

Once you get your EC going we should get the gang together and throw down

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hixson posted:

Once you get your EC going we should get the gang together and throw down

I'm down for this. I've got my order ready for my tiny resin spaceman parts.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Killer_Bees! posted:

- tartarus termies can sweep

The rumor was that they would end up with a 6+ invul save. Thank goodness that didn't happen! It helps out emperor's children a lot.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
kind of make indominus pointless though, you can either take the 4++ or you get to sweep, that pattern gets neither.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Funny how the Dark Furies have the same jet pack intake as the old Raptors.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Hencoe posted:

kind of make indominus pointless though, you can either take the 4++ or you get to sweep, that pattern gets neither.

I suspect they may still 6++ the tartaros yet, but then again they could just be trying to sell some more kits (I know what my next FW order is going to be).

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I would say just give it its own neat ability so there are pros to whichever suit you are going to equip them.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
What if Indomitus terminators had built-in deep strike, like 40K terminators do?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

Funny how the Dark Furies have the same jet pack intake as the old Raptors.

No, they don't.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
No major changes in that FAQ except for dreadnoughts and drop pods. Almost all the other things were already floating around.

Bummer that you can't stay inside a drop pod. Also Cataphractii lost Slow and Purposful so you can't use them to make grav guns useful anymore :( Still no clarification about the missing command tank rule for squadrons either. It's only been... 3 years? Nice to have this all in one place though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BULBASAUR posted:

Also Cataphractii lost Slow and Purposful so you can't use them to make grav guns useful anymore :(

Does this mean Emperor's Children can now take them with Maru Skara, and they can outflank?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Safety Factor posted:

No, they don't.

Eh it's hooked over, the Raptors had two intakes but it's of a similar design.

e: Yeah I guess the shape is close, whatever I thought it was a cool throwback

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

Also Cataphractii lost Slow and Purposful so you can't use them to make grav guns useful anymore :(

They still have relentless.

moths posted:

Does this mean Emperor's Children can now take them with Maru Skara, and they can outflank?

Yes, however you lose the two things that make Emperor's Children worth taking (sweeping and crusade).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 9, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Almost finished my first Salamanders squad, converted from Betrayal At Calth.

A part of The Cohort of Solomon Krayt, from the Ignae detachment of the Salamanders Legion:

Pretty happy with how these have turned out - some of my first forays into airbrushing. I'll be working on the next 9 which will hopefully be done a drat sight quicker...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at the FAQs, does the Cortex Designator rule apply to the current shooting phase? Does successful shooting mean hitting and wounding (even if the wound is saved)? Basically, can he be used with Darkfire Castellax to allow for rerolls in the shooting phase? Would work great with the gets hot rule.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

I think successful means you just hit them, and yes, it works horribly well with the arrays. BS5 PE is just gross.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

LordAba posted:

They still have relentless.

Which doesn't confer over to units. Previously you could take a Cataphractii HQ, attach him to a squad of grav dudes, and then enjoy 24" range. poo poo sucks. I might change our league rules to allow it since it lets you do some interesting things.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

Which doesn't confer over to units. Previously you could take a Cataphractii HQ, attach him to a squad of grav dudes, and then enjoy 24" range. poo poo sucks. I might change our league rules to allow it since it lets you do some interesting things.

Gravs ain't that great in 30k anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

But that doesn't make any sense and obviously wasn't the rules writers' intent. I was wondering why the new wording for Cataphractii armor was so specific, but now I guess I know.