Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Megaman Battle Network 3

Also very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

*emerges in a cloud of smoke, arms crossed*

The best mega man game is...YOUR FAVORITE

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

it's actually 3

*poofs out of existence*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"It's like 17 degrees outside and everyone's wearing latex miniskirts and fuckboots"
"Yeah I saw Liam!"

Y4 LP really is a treasure

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
turns out the PSO2 anime is full-on batshit crazy

Someone is trying to explain the plot to me and I'm having a goddamn stroke

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Rodyle posted:

"It's like 17 degrees outside and everyone's wearing latex miniskirts and fuckboots"
"Yeah I saw Liam!"

Y4 LP really is a treasure

Of the Best Friends LPs I've watched it's definitely my favorite. The Yakuza series is like perfect LP fodder because it has the big dumb plot of a JRPG but without the boring to watch combat.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Grouchio not understanding what I was saying doesn't really surprise me because it's Grouchio
The misunderstandments were all according to plan.

God I love going through all these Friendcasts.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Like I could see a case for X2 but other than that no other megaman game has the precise platforming alongside overall game quality of X1
X4

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/01/07/pierce-the-heavens-with-your-pachinko-machine-gurren-lagann-pachinko-confirmed

Looking forward to the podcast

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That was already known a while back. There was a teaser site and someone dug up the info behind it and surprise all the links pointing to it were Pachink websites. But I guess no one actually reported on that?
EDIT:

Should probably use this on teaser sites from now on.

HGH fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 8, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

All 4 Zero games.
Eh, I suppose, but that game has needless things like cyber elfs, useless optional weapons, etc. The basic sword mechanic is great though, I will agree.

Genocyber posted:

Megaman Battle Network 3
I love battle network but I was talking platformers man
I have beaten X4 more than any other megaman game outside of X1 and it is indeed very good and second only to x1, but some stages and bosses were trash garbage, like split mushroom or storm owl. Cyber peacock had a neat stage gimmick but the fight proper was obnoxious itself, and the sigma fights were not good.

X1 is a tight, perfectly controlled package that also doesn't have some of the most embarrassing anime cutscenes ever put in a game

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

X1 is a tight, perfectly controlled package that also doesn't have some of the most embarrassing anime cutscenes ever put in a game

yes that is definitely a large black mark against it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What, exactly, are you fighting for, ruggington.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My version of X4 never had the cutscenes because the files were corrupted so ha
But yeah I'm probably talking out of bias/nostalgia. I also played X4 a ton since it was my go to game when I was bored/travelling, so I had it so memorized I could do it in 40 minutes or so. You're probably right that X1 is just a more solid package.

Something about those Sigma fights always struck me as odd. How braindead the first phase was compared to the second that had giant AoE attacks, and then those stupid stupid heads in the last form. I remember being stuck there for weeks as a kid.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Iris! IRIS!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ruggington posted:

Iris! IRIS!

you called?

oh you said iris not irs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
what am i fighting faaaooooouuuuuuuughhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Woolie's Reaction to Sin's gently caress Off Beam is amazing :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Everyone remembers the WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOAAAGGAHHGHHHGHH but most forget the preceding rambling which is just amazing

ConanThe3rd posted:

when he just straight disintegrates everyone? yeah that was a great reaction

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

irs! IRS!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

okay now I'm here

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I feel bad that no one wants to do DKC2 with Matt

Also Liam is super wrong DKC2 is like the best platformer on the SNES

DKC 2 is better than mario world, but you're wrong. The best platformer on the SNES is plok.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
DKC2 has one of the best SOUNDTRACKS on the SNES but I dunno about platforming. It's certainly great but the likes of Mario, Megaman X, Super Metroid, Metal Warriors, and many others knock it down the list quite a bit. But the soundtrack is pretty insanely good for any platform.

edit: like seriously this might be in the best video game musical tracks of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

behind the likes of Dancing Mad, and the crown champion of "most insanely impressive thing to ever pull off on a loving NES cartridge", the Solstice theme(this is literally exactly how it sounds on an NES, it's kind of insane)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 8, 2016

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So despite myself I decided to try giving Gundam another shot, and I watched Thunderbolt, It's pretty high quality stuff! it feels really a step above other shows in terms of drawings, animation, quality, etc. it's genuinely interesting and exciting and it's the first time anything gundam made me want to see more! I wonder who's the artist behind this series, cause he's really great.

Good Job Woolie, you've gotten me interested in something Gundam.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Captain Invictus posted:

DKC2 has one of the best SOUNDTRACKS on the SNES but I dunno about platforming. It's certainly great but the likes of Mario, Megaman X, Super Metroid, Metal Warriors, and many others knock it down the list quite a bit. But the soundtrack is pretty insanely good for any platform.

edit: like seriously this might be in the best video game musical tracks of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

This is also way loving up there IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, David Wise is a master at his craft. Both DKC soundtracks are insanely good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

HGH posted:

That was already known a while back. There was a teaser site and someone dug up the info behind it and surprise all the links pointing to it were Pachink websites. But I guess no one actually reported on that?
EDIT:

Should probably use this on teaser sites from now on.

Plus the site said right there Konami was involved, and the ps stands for Pachinko Slot. Have a hard time feeling bad for anyone that let themselves get excited.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gurren-Lagann already had a pachinko short eons ago, it was only a matter of time

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Eh, I suppose, but that game has needless things like cyber elfs, useless optional weapons, etc.

Yeah I hate variety too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It would be great if the game didn't punish you for using them, tho.

Also if the screen size on all the MMZ games wasn't tiny so that enemy respawn rates weren't atrocious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

Yeah I hate variety too.
Axiom Verge has variety too, yet most people give it poo poo for said variety because the majority of the optional weapons are total crap

Such could be said about MMZ's weapons, and as said, the game punishes you for using cyber elves, which is trash garbage

Like I really like Megaman Zero, I've played the first two and haven't gotten around to the third and fourth, but some aspects of them are unforgiving or badly designed.

edit: also, the final bosses of MMZ1 is a loving nightmare(it's been a while since I've played 2, I forget it's final boss). I want poo poo to be actually possible and not full of instant death nonsense, thanks

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 8, 2016

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Go back to Super Robot Week and watch the Xenogears episode for the True Original Vaporization Response from Woolie.

Nothing will top Woolie's reaction to Daniels' ultimate badass maneuver in the Parasite Eve LP, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always thought of it punishing you for Cyber Elves like how DMC encourages you to not use items to win, but they're there in case you feel like you really need them. I used them as a crutch while learning the game and then stopped relying on them after I figured out how you move and fight bosses in that game and the game became fantastic, especially Z3, hoo boy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Z3 is on the shortlist of all time best sidescrollers

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Any love for Super Ghouls n Ghosts??

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love all forms of Ghosts n Goblins

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the best sidescroller platformer is super metroid

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

It would be great if the game didn't punish you for using them, tho.

The MMZ series are partially 2D character action games. Think about it, you're rated on mission performance and you get punished for using special items :v:

Edit: beaten to it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It goes back to what the original poster said about variety, though. It's not very varied if I'm just not supposed to use them.

EDIT: In fact it's less varied if you use them, since sub-weapons are sometimes locked behind ranks so if you do bad or use a lot of elves you get less stuff.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean you can just use them. It's not like any thing's stopping from you doing it other than your personal shame.