Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Was scheduled to take CCENT on 12/29, during my 2 week break, when my wife and I managed to get two different illnesses, and she had to be in the ER on Christmas morning. Fun times were had by all and I found myself unable to do any sort of productive studying and pushed it back. Now we're all fine (I basically got over whatever I had completely just today. Wonderful timing.), I'm scheduled to take CCENT on 1/23. I wanted to get my CCENT in 2015 but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Just booked my trainings for ccna r&s.

Should I go through the course by myself already or try to go in as blank as possible?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

LochNessMonster posted:

Just booked my trainings for ccna r&s.

Should I go through the course by myself already or try to go in as blank as possible?

I can't see starting on your own being detrimental in any way.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Is project+ as straightforward as it seems? Sitting for it today after 2-3 weeks of studying

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

crunk dork posted:

Is project+ as straightforward as it seems? Sitting for it today after 2-3 weeks of studying

Yeah, it was pretty straight forward.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
That test was loving stupid

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

crunk dork posted:

That test was loving stupid

Like, worse than most CompTIA exams? :downs:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Like, worse than most CompTIA exams? :downs:

I half assed studying for it for 2 and a half weeks and got an 810/900 when 710 is passing. It's common sense poo poo and most of the answers give themselves away 3/4 of the time

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
A stakeholder requests a change for your project, what is your next course of action?

1) Jack off with the CEO
2) Make changes immediately without telling anyone.
3) Conduct impact analysis
4) HITLER!!!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

crunk dork posted:

A stakeholder requests a change for your project, what is your next course of action?

1) Jack off with the CEO
4) HITLER!!!!

4 every time.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

crunk dork posted:

I half assed studying for it for 2 and a half weeks and got an 810/900 when 710 is passing. It's common sense poo poo and most of the answers give themselves away 3/4 of the time

So Net/Sec+ with their bare minimum of memorized technical info removed. Cool.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

crunk dork posted:

1) Jack off with the CEO
4) HITLER!!!!

Can I phone a friend?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm working on the CCDA after the CCNP and this may be the most snoozefest cert I've ever done. Please tell me the ARCH exam is better than this.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got the CCNA Laemmle book. I googled but is there any info on if they are going to make any of this stuff obsolete any time soon?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

skooma512 posted:

Got the CCNA Laemmle book. I googled but is there any info on if they are going to make any of this stuff obsolete any time soon?

The Cisco stuff is probably way more enduring than the Windows Server stuff. All right, you got your Server 2012 R2 MCSA! We have enclosed a copy of Server 2016 with your certificate so that you can immediately start weeping.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Who knows what "soon" could be; but you'll mostly be fine. The only concept I could see going away in the near-ish future is Frame Relay. I'm not sure how often it's used in the States, but in Canada (Alberta specifically) it's rarely seen.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Who knows what "soon" could be; but you'll mostly be fine. The only concept I could see going away in the near-ish future is Frame Relay. I'm not sure how often it's used in the States, but in Canada (Alberta specifically) it's rarely seen.

But the concept behind it is really important. MPLS is growing fast and regardless of what protocol it uses, it's critical to understand private ethernet on public networks. Frame Relay is an OK protocol to use to learn the concept.

I just looked up the new exam topics for CCNA Security v3 (introduced december 2015) and am satisfied in my decision to skip learning CCP. It's nowhere on the bullet list. Because CCP sucked balls.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But the concept behind it is really important. MPLS is growing fast and regardless of what protocol it uses, it's critical to understand private ethernet on public networks. Frame Relay is an OK protocol to use to learn the concept.

Also this. While you may not use Frame Relay, the concept of the technology will help you understand what took its place (this is true for most things moving forward).

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I just looked up the new exam topics for CCNA Security v3 (introduced december 2015) and am satisfied in my decision to skip learning CCP. It's nowhere on the bullet list. Because CCP sucked balls.

As someone who just wrote the CCNA Security v2 in November.. gently caress CCP forever.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If ir akes you feel better the ccnp collaboration guidelines want you to know all about the mse 8000.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also Cisco updated the CCNA exam just last year. I doubt they'll be touching it again in any significant way any time soon.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Who was it that was trying CCNA Data Center? Did they succeed? Im getting back into deep study on 640-911 as I got side tracked for the last 2 months with a project.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

Also Cisco updated the CCNA exam just last year. I doubt they'll be touching it again in any significant way any time soon.

Maybe. They've been under a lot of pressure to make their NA and NP exams more current.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Who was it that was trying CCNA Data Center? Did they succeed? Im getting back into deep study on 640-911 as I got side tracked for the last 2 months with a project.

That'd be me. I've ramped up a bit since December had me side-lined. Probably a week away from finishing Odom's textbook, then into the Test > Fail > Practice cycle. Looking at early March now.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ive been reading some scuttlebutt on some other forums, seems that there is poo poo on the test about the actual Nexus stuff about licensing/hardware (slots, Rack Unit size) that is NOT in 640-911 but is actually chapter 2 of the 640-916 Cisco book in that pack.

If you dont have the 640-916 book, you can get the update on the Cisco Press book for appendix B-2

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9781587204548/updates/38_9781587204548_appb2.pdf

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrBigglesworth posted:

Ive been reading some scuttlebutt on some other forums, seems that there is poo poo on the test about the actual Nexus stuff about licensing/hardware (slots, Rack Unit size) that is NOT in 640-911 but is actually chapter 2 of the 640-916 Cisco book in that pack.

If you dont have the 640-916 book, you can get the update on the Cisco Press book for appendix B-2

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9781587204548/updates/38_9781587204548_appb2.pdf

It's been a while since I've taken it, but the 911 is basically just the CCNS R&S with Nexus swapped in for IOS and a with somewhat less depth. I don't recall any hardware specific questions on that one, it was just the usual OSI model, IP fundamentals, subnetting, VLANs/Trunking/Aggregation, and basic routing protocols.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Better safe than sorry. Thanks for sharing the appendix! I always forget to check for errata and stuff.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I think I am getting ready, Im passing all the practice tests with 90% or better from the CD in the back of Odoms 640-911 book.

Ive spent the last few hours doing entire chapters of the one subject at at time, so to speak, IP addressing I have down stone loving cold. Usually my gently caress ups is selecting more than the answers require, 3 instead of 2, or not reading the "which one is not" type of question basically rushing a bit.

The CCNA R&S that I passed last year, really wasnt "that" difficult, even with me loving up the EIRP sim by clicking Next after answering only the first of four questions in that set.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Is CCNP Security a valid option for me if I want to pursue something in infosec or should I focus on CCNP RS instead and then work on CEH? I've got CCNA Security and my final paper/project left for WGU and then I'm done and want to keep the momentum going after I graduate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Is CCNP Security a valid option for me if I want to pursue something in infosec or should I focus on CCNP RS instead and then work on CEH? I've got CCNA Security and my final paper/project left for WGU and then I'm done and want to keep the momentum going after I graduate.

Depends. Do you want to do engineering or pen testing/analysis? Engineering, get the CCNP. Analysis and testing, get OSCP.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Pentesting sounds good but I'm not sure how in demand it is in the Midwest, I'd never really put much thought into the specifics of what I'd like doing more

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

crunk dork posted:

Pentesting sounds good but I'm not sure how in demand it is in the Midwest, I'd never really put much thought into the specifics of what I'd like doing more

Think good and long about what you want to do. I never did and am in the middle of switching focus to a different field. It's a hassle and I wish I had done this earlier in my career.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

crunk dork posted:

Does it really matter where you live if you're doing pentesting for a living?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Would having a sec clearance make either path easier or make me more marketable for a certain niche within infosec?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

crunk dork posted:

Would having a sec clearance make either path easier or make me more marketable for a certain niche within infosec?

If you have clearance, work toward your CEH and move to VA. You'll be drowning in jobs.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Hoping to get my ICND2 before the end of the month. I've got Odom's book and have been watching CBT Nuggets, and will probably just use the sample test that came with the Odom book and GNS3.

Any tips on the test? I'm getting tripped up by all of the different costs for all of the different routing protocols / STP stuff, but conceptually it all makes sense to me.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

beepsandboops posted:

Hoping to get my ICND2 before the end of the month. I've got Odom's book and have been watching CBT Nuggets, and will probably just use the sample test that came with the Odom book and GNS3.

Any tips on the test? I'm getting tripped up by all of the different costs for all of the different routing protocols / STP stuff, but conceptually it all makes sense to me.

The different flavors of spanning tree and the ways they are implemented were what gave me the most trouble, so I'd say double down on that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Not really. It will drastically expand the pool of available jobs making use of those skills, to be certain. And having a job that requires a clearance typically increases your salary 20-75% above the market rate for uncleared positions. Then again, the federal government is a huge pain in the rear end to work with so all of that will end up going to alcohol.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I don't wanna move to VA though... I'll look into CEH and OSCP both and see what appeals more as I'm finishing my degree. Might pursue the CCNP RS after grad if I'm still not entirely, it couldn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

crunk dork posted:

I don't wanna move to VA though... I'll look into CEH and OSCP both and see what appeals more as I'm finishing my degree. Might pursue the CCNP RS after grad if I'm still not entirely, it couldn't hurt.

CCNP RS never hurts and the knowledge will help you as pentester as well.