Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

The black removal in this set is pretty drat good by 2016 standards.

It's suddenly loving great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Captain's Claw (Cloak?) seems like the best equipment they've made for a long, long time.

It's good but it's a rare. Makes all the Equipment Matters cards pretty bad in limited.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I will draft 1 billion copies of this:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This new? Seems like a lot of value there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Yeah this is good. 3/9 for 3 mana.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
This set's gonna be good for draft.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Looks like chandra kills Ob nixilis then

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Grasp of Darkness seems like your go-to black removal spell for the future.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

This card is insane and an easy first pick in draft.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

The black removal in this set is pretty drat good by 2016 standards.

White has Immolating Glare, Isolation Zone, and Searing Light though

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So, this is the Lightning Strike we deserve :\

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Negate has now been in 3 out of the last 4 sets

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I really like Cyclone Sire, and that probably makes me Very Dumb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Wild Slash IS rotating..

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Listen pal, your lightening strike is only going to target creates and you are going to like it. Its also rare, so taste it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey any goons going to the Starcity Open in Charlotte tomorrow?

I'll be there piloting some fish, here's hoping I don't punt, and that no one plays affinity.:newlol:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Hey any goons going to the Starcity Open in Charlotte tomorrow?

I'll be there piloting some fish, here's hoping I don't punt, and that no one plays affinity.:newlol:

Get ready for lots of dumb Eldrazi.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Keep finding more SOM reprints in this set.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'd like to draft every copy of containment membrane, thanks

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Get ready for lots of dumb Eldrazi.

I've got 4 tech edges in my board for a reason.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

I've got 4 tech edges in my board for a reason.

Ghost Quarter is probably better...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's interesting how none of the BFZ keywords are returning (apart from devoid). The new keywords seem pretty low key, especially cohort

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Ghost Quarter is probably better...

Specifically for Eldrazi, yeah, but Tech edges work wonders against Jund/Junk as well, but I could easily see my self doing a 2/2 split

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

kills kor firewalker! :v:

also Zendikar Resurgent's art :eyepop:

at least there's cantrips at U and R to enable surge :v:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 8, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Specifically for Eldrazi, yeah, but Tech edges work wonders against Jund/Junk as well, but I could easily see my self doing a 2/2 split

Fish is good vs Jund and Junk anyway. You need Ghost Quarters not just for the Eldrazi decks but also for Tron and Bloom.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Green commons look better, but still not great for draft, except for the spider which absolutely hoses the uw fliers deck.

Rares and mythics are hugely variable with loads of unplayables

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

Green commons look better, but still not great for draft, except for the spider which absolutely hoses the uw fliers deck.

Just the fact that you know the 3rd pack in the draft has horrible green meant that you needed very good green in OGW in order to make it viable. It's just ok.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I was wrong about the art in this set, lots of Eldrazi cards are really cool looking, particularly Ruin in Their Wake

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

I have said this before and yeah, too many rares and mythics that do nothing in limited especially for a small set.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

God dammit.

:agreed: the flavor really fits and it's super cool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

So Awaken is not in the set but we get Awaken cards, like how Prowess was totally not in DTK.

I want to draft the deck with this guy in, it gives me flashbacks to Scholar of Athreos in Theros draft.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 8, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A flying kor ally. There literally is no pattern to what is or is not an ally.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

I was wrong about the art in this set, lots of Eldrazi cards are really cool looking, particularly Ruin in Their Wake

Ah, conditional Rampant Growth at uncommon. What the gently caress, wizards. Art owns though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sickening posted:

I have said this before and yeah, too many rares and mythics that do nothing in limited especially for a small set.

I think it might be OK - better than loads of really powerful ones. It's a bit concerning that they're bringing down the rare first pick ratio by just making half of them poo poo, and half almost unbeatable, instead of rates just being more complex/difficult to play.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Ah, conditional Rampant Growth at uncommon. What the gently caress, wizards. Art owns though

Can't risk green winning a draft!!!!!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy crap, Grasp of Darkness, I didn't think we'd ever see that again after years of Throttle and Flatten. I guess they figure it's balanced because people are gonna want colorless sources in their decks?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Having lots of rares that are good was one of the bad things about FRF.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Entropic posted:

So Awaken is not in the set but we get Awaken cards, like how Prowess was totally not in DTK.

I can't think of a single good reason for this. It's way more confusing than just calling it Awaken as it's always going to be drafted with awaken cards...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

Having lots of rares that are good was one of the bad things about FRF.

Having rares too good as an advantage is almost as bad as having rares being so bad its a disadvantage even in draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

I can't think of a single good reason for this. It's way more confusing than just calling it Awaken as it's always going to be drafted with awaken cards...

Awaken is templated as an alternate cost on an instant or sorcery to make it modal and they didn't want to make a 0/6 wall modal?

• Locked thread