Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zoness posted:

Awaken is templated as an alternate cost on an instant or sorcery to make it modal and they didn't want to make a 0/6 wall modal?

That makes sense.

None of the cohort cards look that exciting, it's just so slow to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The flavor text on Gift of Tusks owns btw.

This looks like a set I might actually want to draft more than once. Not too many "this card is completely unbeatable" cards, lots of interesting commons and uncommons. And this is the first set in a long time where I think more of the art is good than isn't. I really like Witness the End.

They really messed up not making the Toll Collector a troll though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

The flavor text on Gift of Tusks owns btw.

This looks like a set I might actually want to draft more than once. Not too many "this card is completely unbeatable" cards, lots of interesting commons and uncommons. And this is the first set in a long time where I think more of the art is good than isn't. I really like Witness the End.

They really messed up not making the Toll Collector a troll though.

Do you want to pay the troll toll

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So, this is the Lightning Strike we deserve :\

I'm confused as to why this doesn't exile like every other devoid removal spell.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nibble posted:

I'm confused as to why this doesn't exile like every other devoid removal spell.

The same reason why Stonehaven Medic is not an ally.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

pointsofdata posted:

I can't think of a single good reason for this. It's way more confusing than just calling it Awaken as it's always going to be drafted with awaken cards...

Awaken doesn't work on creatures

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Anyway as far as I can tell despite all the references to things no one cares about, there's no magmaw worshiping so this set is officially Worse Than Homelands.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Awaken doesn't work on creatures

What if that creature is a land? :goonsay:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Compare the wording of cultivator drone to corrupted crossroads. I get that they are making different mana but still...

Also since when does blue get what is basically a mana ramp creature?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Anyway as far as I can tell despite all the references to things no one cares about, there's no magmaw worshiping so this set is officially Worse Than Homelands.

Yeah but nobody liked Blackwing Descent anyway.

But seriously no land burning and no magmaw and no mnemonic wall + splinter twin combo just gonna draft triple rise instead of this.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I might just be reading cards wrong, but does red seem just sorta bad? There's a lot of overcosted effects and mediocre cards in there. Some good stuff, but kinda like green in BFZ. Just not a lot there.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yes but think of all the pro-red creatures it kills in not draft not standard.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

pointsofdata posted:

Compare the wording of cultivator drone to corrupted crossroads. I get that they are making different mana but still...

Blue has had a few conditional mana dorks; Qarsi Deceiver, Renowned Weaponsmith, Deranged Assistant...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I might just be reading cards wrong, but does red seem just sorta bad? There's a lot of overcosted effects and mediocre cards in there. Some good stuff, but kinda like green in BFZ. Just not a lot there.

There's some OK stuff but nothing great at common I think. Blue on the other hand looks amazing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

pointsofdata posted:

Blue, fairly infrequently, gets access to colorless production dudes, usually restricted in use to artifacts or to another generic-costed mechanic.

These both are from Khans block, one for its own artifact gimmick and the other for morph. There were appearances in Innistrad and Scars, too.

It all goes back to Apprentice Wizard in The Dark.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Only one white eldrazi. Bummer.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

pointsofdata posted:

There's some OK stuff but nothing great at common I think. Blue on the other hand looks amazing.

Yeah, unsurprisingly, blue looks incredible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Only one white eldrazi. Bummer.

Well, its a loving bomb. I don't know why that is a bummer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

It's a little tease that will not be followed up, when the 4 other colors are puking eldrazi there's this one white guy asking for a bagel or something.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

There's a Trampling Vigilant Ally 5/4 for 4G at common. Seems good. Pretty sure green is still terrible, though, it seems unfocused as gently caress and still has jack for removal.

No wait it does have a 5-mana uncommon sorcery conditional removal.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 8, 2016

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
This set looks good to draft because of how flat it seems. Just a lot of playable cards with few 'oops I win' rares. I think several people have already said this, but I agree and am saying it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

i was liking the cards pretty well and then i saw this and just got depressed as hell

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Hey it's Burn! Get it, from Turn // Burn????

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXlmYzOCro

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sickening posted:

Because there is only one?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also the Black 5 mana dude who has pay 1 life to get colorless mana seems really good, especially if you can get him out early and just vomit big dudes while you're opponent is still playing dorky guys

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

i was liking the cards pretty well and then i saw this and just got depressed as hell

They had the opportunity to make a devoid lightening strike. Opportunities missed!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

It looks like Bone Saw has a lot riding on its crappy shoulders. It's the only common Equipment in a set with 3 uncommons and a rare that care about Equipment, and it's the only 0 cost spell in a set with Surge.

Blue looks ridiculous, it gets loving Blinding Mage, multiple bounce spells, counters, card draw and a better Paralyzing Grasp. It does seem a little low on actual threats, so I guess pair it with colorless or a color that has threats?

Black has the best removal in the set, holy poo poo. It also has some fairly aggressive Devoid creatures, but is split between Devoid and Allies. It looks like there is basically no payoff for gaining life this set, other than that one okay BW uncommon. Oh yeah I guess the Ally Underworld Connections seems good too.

There seem to be a lot of fliers/reach creatures with 3-4 toughness and somewhat low power, I expect that having a lot of big fat threats on the ground will be a decent strategy.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 8, 2016

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It all goes back to Apprentice Wizard in The Dark.

They sure did use to print some insane cards.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey anyone checked Inquistion on tcgplayer lately? :suicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Haha I just traded 3 for like 13 each. Dumb. It should be an FNM promo though.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

Also the Black 5 mana dude who has pay 1 life to get colorless mana seems really good, especially if you can get him out early and just vomit big dudes while you're opponent is still playing dorky guys

You can only do it once each turn, lol. It's not Channel.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just a heads up, if you want to play with good lily you better buy now. I would rate the chances she is getting reprinted pretty low and once innistrad comes out she will spike again.

Yes, 90 bucks might be the cheapest she will be without a reprint. :cripes:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not reprinting that was pretty dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Just a heads up, if you want to play with good lily you better buy now. I would rate the chances she is getting reprinted pretty low and once innistrad comes out she will spike again.

Yes, 90 bucks might be the cheapest she will be without a reprint. :cripes:

I would bet every magic card I own that she will be in MM17 but that's a while away.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

You can only do it once each turn, lol. It's not Channel.

Ah really, missed that, my bad

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This set looks good to draft because of how flat it seems. Just a lot of playable cards with few 'oops I win' rares. I think several people have already said this, but I agree and am saying it

I actually think it looks extremely bomby. Outside of removal spells the commons look extremely mediocre, and all of the gold uncommons are just insane value. Having few "oops, I win" rares just means less competition for the person opening Eldrazi Displacer or Deepfathom Skulker.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This is a cool early game removal spell.

Green actually has big beefy dudes in this set. I think part of the reason green was bad in BFZ was cards like Unnatural Aggression just aren't good when your creatures are no bigger than your opponent's.

That's some beef right there.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also loving lol, they reprinted Boon of Erebos, already a surprisingly sweet trick in Limited, with Devoid and without the life loss.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Oh my god it doesnt even exile

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Chances this sees eternal play over Nature's Claim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Chances this sees eternal play over Nature's Claim?

I am sure someone that plays natures claim can chime in, but don't you need to hit 4 cmc stuff occasionally?

• Locked thread