Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is passive-aggressive as gently caress and I love it

Yeah, that was a satisfying email to receive from a good professor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As a follow up to my parking complaint, they had another game today. They informed people that cars had to be moved by 5:00pm today by sending an e-mail out today at 5:23pm. I swear if they try to ticket me over this they're going to get a loving earful.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

As a follow up to my parking complaint, they had another game today. They informed people that cars had to be moved by 5:00pm today by sending an e-mail out today at 5:23pm. I swear if they try to ticket me over this they're going to get a loving earful.

Colleges love to do poo poo like that for some inexplicable reason. The dumbest thing I've seen the school do was give me a ticket written at 1:58 a.m. for parking in a lot that closes at 2 a.m. While I was walking to my car. While the officer looked directly at me holding my keys and approaching the only car in the lot. I contested the gently caress out of that. 1:58 is before 2 a.m. so I was still allowed to loving park there.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Please tell me you won, because I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't.

One of my friends went to University of Maryland on a swimming scholarship. They had recently had a VERY nice pool constructed on campus, national championships were often held there and Michael Phelps even holds a few pool records there.

Then Maryland went on an 8-team (non-football) sport-cutting frenzy because they had spent beyond their means on the football stadium constructing box seating that no one ever uses. Swimming was one of the first to go because it turns out, the pool they had constructed on campus didn't actually belong to them and they were spending half a million dollars every year renting it out so that the team could practice there. They found out just before practice one day when the coach sent out an email not to bring swim suits and just come in your regular clothes. They were met on the pool deck by a gaggle of men in business suits.

So now one of the best competition pools in the country, and by extension the world, just sits there unused. Terrapin football continues to be absolute poo poo.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

speshl guy posted:

So now one of the best competition pools in the country, and by extension the world, just sits there unused. Terrapin football continues to be absolute poo poo.

Whenever I see stuff like this happen (other programs/activities being cut to dump more money into the poo poo-eating ouroboros that is collegiate football), I picture a fat, miserly old colonial governor in the Mediterranean during pirate times:

"What is this, 'colonial defense,' and why are we spending so much money on it?"

"My lord, that is for our patrols and coastal batteries, to prevent pirates from sacking our lovely city."

"What? That's preposterous! Have you ever actually seen a pirate? Strike this nonsense from the budget immediately."

"Begging your pardon my lord, but we'll be completely undefended!"

"It'll be fine. The house silver is looking a bit worn and we're dreadfully close to running out of that exquisite Parisian wine that I so enjoy. Those things don't grow on trees, you know!"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If UC Merced ever hatches plans for a football stadium I will return to help sabotage the thing.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Kavak posted:

If UC Merced ever hatches plans for a football stadium I will return to help sabotage the thing.

While I'm sure they can get their lawyers to do whatever, the nice thing about Merced is that the vernal pool/wetland complex that surrounds it on however many sides is protected as part of their endowment, so they can only sludge out in non-wetland directions.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So the college that I'm going to was recently revealed to have a structural backlog of pretty stunning proportions - $114 million backlog in maintenance compared to a $60 million operating budget. Despite the fact that the college has known about this since 2005(!!!!), they've done absolute dick all about it except raising their own pay and giving the retiring president an enormous sum of retirement money. Then today, I read they're soliciting developers for new student housing!

This whole thing is a giant loving joke, the entire CSU system is so loving corrupt that they can't even hide it anymore. Administration continues to grow, their own pay continues to increase substantially, while professors continue to lose positions, continue to not see pay raises, and students get increasing tuitions year after year.

One more semester and I'm out of this shitshow for good :smithicide:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A White Guy posted:

So the college that I'm going to was recently revealed to have a structural backlog of pretty stunning proportions - $114 million backlog in maintenance compared to a $60 million operating budget. Despite the fact that the college has known about this since 2005(!!!!), they've done absolute dick all about it except raising their own pay and giving the retiring president an enormous sum of retirement money. Then today, I read they're soliciting developers for new student housing!

This whole thing is a giant loving joke, the entire CSU system is so loving corrupt that they can't even hide it anymore. Administration continues to grow, their own pay continues to increase substantially, while professors continue to lose positions, continue to not see pay raises, and students get increasing tuitions year after year.

Which CSU? My sister is also graduating this spring. I've got a year or so worth of UC bullshit to get back into at some point in the future before I get my degree.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

That pretty much describes the entire American higher education system right now. That and the GOP screaming "gently caress education" at every opportunity and cutting every education budget they can get their hands on. The whole system is a complete mess from top to bottom.

The worst thing the college I go to has done has put in new housing construction for students that was "based on feedback gathered from students about what they want in housing," apparently ignoring the fact that students kind of want, you know, "affordable" housing. The housing however can now get to nearly $5,000 per student per semester. That's thoroughly obscene. That's ultimately $20,000 in rent from two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a combo living room/kitchen sort of thing per year even without anybody renting it in the winter or summer. The other types aren't much better; I think the cheapest possible housing on campus is a bit over $2,000 a semester per student in the shared room dorms. You can rent entire damned apartments for far less than that. Hell I've seen actual houses a block away from campus renting for less than that.

But of course students are now required to live on campus for two years. Seriously, gently caress this school. That should be illegal. Thankfully I'm graduating this semester but let me tell you I won't be donating a dime to this school if they track this way. Every year the price of literally everything goes higher for students but they end up getting less for it. Entire departments are getting destroyed or defunded out of existence. Enrollment is down and the school's response to it is "hire more administrators and destroy everything students actually come here for."

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I'm in grad school and I can't tell if I'm smarter than I think or everyone else is just dumber. I think this is the first semester I've had where I haven't heard any idiotic questions like "will this be on the final?". (And yet everyone else seems to be a polished professional while I'm stuck in a crappy permatemp job.)

There was the guy in a class in my first semester who always came in late, took five minutes to unzip his backpack and pull everything out while the professor was trying to teach, and proceeded to either ignore the professor and look at his phone or eat through the entire class. Since it was an evening class that lasted 3 hours, there'd be a break halfway through, and after he'd finished whatever bag of snack food he brought with him for the first half of class, he'd go out and get more food. One week he came back with a 20-piece of Chicken McNuggets from the McDonald's a few blocks away, and another time he brought back something he'd ordered on Seamless. I get that people often have to rush to class from work without eating, but Jesus Christ, I think you can go an hour without eating and not die.

I'm currently taking an online class with an absolutely horrible professor. He has a bug up his butt about students asking him questions or something, so he feels the need to detail every possible contingency somewhere on Blackboard. Except it's all spread out between the many blackboard pages and the syllabus (which is set up like a wiki so you can't look at the entire thing at once or search it easily). So he'll just respond that you didn't look in the right place. Of course, with actual classwork, he's incredibly vague about requirements. He also posts videos as part of the weekly coursework that are just powerpoint slides that he reads (and only occasionally adding extra information). They're well-nigh unwatchable, between the poor video quality, worse audio quality, and his mushmouthed diction. He also doesn't bother to update anything, so videos and instructions tend to have mistakes or outdated information. Oh, and the textbook (that he co-wrote) is missing the last four chapters. There's a page in the book that directs you to a website to download a pdf of them.

Also, gently caress professors who have the smug "I don't give out A's because an A represents perfection and nobody can actually achieve that" attitude.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Johnny Longtorso posted:

And yet everyone else seems to be a polished professional

I don't know what program you're in (or even what country you live in) but I did my bid at a research university in the Midwestern U.S., in political science, and everyone who looked and acted like a suit fresh from the dry cleaners was hiding the fact that he or she was awful at the discipline and felt the constant dread that only tens of thousands of dollars of wasted student loan money can buy.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Also, gently caress professors who have the smug "I don't give out A's because an A represents perfection and nobody can actually achieve that" attitude.

Whoa, what the hell? There's someone that actually does that?

If you get 90%+ you should drat well get a loving A because you are achieving well above and beyond what the average is doing, it's not perfection, it's showing that you are either working harder/are smarter than the average. Either that or the class average is always between 50-60% so they grade on a curve (apparently it's like this in engineering for some classes)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Today we had a quiz and the prof explicitly stated that if you're done early, and you're silent, you can leave early.

Que a bunch of people shoving stuff in their packs and unzipping and zipping all three pockets to put their stuff away before leaving.

She got pissed and said "HEY. I said quietly. If you're a stampeding elephant you have to stay. No rustling, no zippers."

It got quite for a moment then one guy zipped his bag shut. The glare from that prof. The guy didn't even look up, I think he just wasn't listening.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

How Rude posted:

Yeah like what the gently caress. I know there are professors who will always find some to keep a score from being a solid 100% but to never give A's on principle is, well, I'm pretty sure that fucker should be fired because clearly they don't know what they're doing.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah like what the gently caress. I know there are professors who will always find some to keep a score from being a solid 100% but to never give A's on principle is, well, I'm pretty sure that fucker should be fired because clearly they don't know what they're doing.

He graded everything using letter grades rather than percentages. The sad thing is he showed some real depth of knowledge, but most classes he'd just lecture about whatever he felt like talking about, with some cynical comments about the school administration thrown in. (Or he'd digress about baseball or golf.) Other students thought he was "funny". Me, not so much.

And he's tenured, so he's not going anywhere.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
My freshmen year (of high school) English teacher pulled that "nobody can be perfect" bullshit.

It got me real nervous about my grades for the rest of my high school career, though.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
My current one is extended exam periods. My last exam is tomorrow, a month after the last class for this subject was held, and several months after the first. A full month after the last class is way too long to leave the exam, even if it is open book.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

How Rude posted:

I had a couple of professors over the years that pulled that poo poo. It's not so bad in graduate school (at least in the social sciences) but it would be infuriating to an undergrad whose academic scholarship money depends on a high GPA.

"Hurr an A means you're perfect and nobody is perfect derf derf" No, fuckface, it doesn't--it means you've developed a mastery of the subject that is clearly demonstrated by the work you've submitted and by your contributions during class.

On the other end of the spectrum, though, are profs that hand out As like they're candy:

"Looks like you spent weeks on this descriptive statistics assignment. Clean formatting, good graphs, succinct presentation. Excellent work. Grade: A."

"I docked you some points for drawing your graphs with crayons because you didn't use a ruler and the axes weren't labeled. Your handwriting was hard to read at times but overall good work. Grade: A-"

:shepicide:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The thing I've always thought was even worse than that were the students who never study, hand in garbage work, and just plain don't do some of the assignments and then whine that their grades are awful. A grades are less difficult to get and just more time consuming. It's more a case of putting in the hours to learn the material. Some people learn it faster than others sure but anybody that isn't a complete dumbass can hammer out an A in most classes if they take the time to do the work. Not everybody can graduate with a 4.0 GPA of course but for most people getting a bad GPA is born of laziness/too much partying more than anything else.

And yet I still hear people screeching nonstop "well that professor is just a jerk" or "they're making this class too hard because they like failing people."

Well, no. You skipped 1/3 of the lectures, only actually studied for one test, failed to hand in one assignment, and halfassed all the rest. Don't complain to me I have absolutely no sympathy for you. Sorry kiddo you don't get A's for just showing up most of the time.

Which is kind of one of the things I've noticed about college; you're given complete freedom to gently caress it up and one thing college tests is who does gently caress it up and who doesn't. Graduating college basically says to the world "yes I will show up and do the work even if nobody twists my arm to do so."

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing I've always thought was even worse than that were the students who never study, hand in garbage work, and just plain don't do some of the assignments and then whine that their grades are awful. A grades are less difficult to get and just more time consuming. It's more a case of putting in the hours to learn the material. Some people learn it faster than others sure but anybody that isn't a complete dumbass can hammer out an A in most classes if they take the time to do the work. Not everybody can graduate with a 4.0 GPA of course but for most people getting a bad GPA is born of laziness/too much partying more than anything else.

And yet I still hear people screeching nonstop "well that professor is just a jerk" or "they're making this class too hard because they like failing people."

Well, no. You skipped 1/3 of the lectures, only actually studied for one test, failed to hand in one assignment, and halfassed all the rest. Don't complain to me I have absolutely no sympathy for you. Sorry kiddo you don't get A's for just showing up most of the time.

Which is kind of one of the things I've noticed about college; you're given complete freedom to gently caress it up and one thing college tests is who does gently caress it up and who doesn't. Graduating college basically says to the world "yes I will show up and do the work even if nobody twists my arm to do so."

Biased much? Not even close to reality, there are so many factors and variables at play to paint it black and white like that is half the problem with the educational system. I know plenty of people I'm friends with in STEM majors that work harder than I do but can't manage my grades because I'm just better at taking tests. I get one night a week where I don't do school work, and there are people working harder than that that are still barely managing to pass because of poor test grades.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Apocadall posted:

Biased much? Not even close to reality, there are so many factors and variables at play to paint it black and white like that is half the problem with the educational system. I know plenty of people I'm friends with in STEM majors that work harder than I do but can't manage my grades because I'm just better at taking tests. I get one night a week where I don't do school work, and there are people working harder than that that are still barely managing to pass because of poor test grades.

I think the general gist of his or her particular aggravation was "people in my program slack off and then bitch and moan when they're not given good grades," and not so much "everyone can do well if they just work hard because that's all it takes."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Apocadall posted:

On the other end of it I've had CS classes with a guy that is very obviously not too bright but also very obviously hammers away at everything until he finally gets it. I've heard him admit that it's a struggle for him to learn the stuff and he says he's "kind of slow" in both how he works and how he learns but, well, he puts in the hours. I mean we all have those subjects we just flat out can't understand but once you find those you file them under "not my major, not my job." I don't know how his grades are but I'm going go guess "not awful." His work ethic is fine and he isn't afraid to ask questions about stuff he just isn't getting. He's in some high level classes so he must be doing OK.

I've seen otherwise bright students slack off and get bad grades/outright fail and then whine that they deserve better numbers. That's the main thing I'm griping about; I don't hear much of that these days as I'm graduating and in high level, terminal stuff but along the way it was stuff I saw and heard constantly. It baffled me. There were people who would just not show up for Friday classes, party for three days in a row, then panic when they realized they had assignments due Tuesday and Wednesday that they couldn't get adequately finished. Then bitch that it was the professor's fault for assigning something on Tuesday.

Which is why I'm saying "put in the drat hours" is the main component. It isn't the only one to be sure (I struggle with advanced math so yes I know it isn't always that simple) but I still argue that most people can graduate with at least a 3.4 by just actually doing the drat work. Not saying everybody can get an A in every class they take by working hard but just putting in the work can get basically any student bright enough to get into college in the first place decent grades.

But laziness will ruin anybody. I, for one, absolutely always put in extra study hours on math stuff because I know it's one of my weaker points but as a CS major I should study as much math as I can get my hands on. I put in extra hours there because I pick up on math more slowly than other subjects.

That being said yes professors who refuse to give A grades are shitheads. I've only ever had one and I think the highest grade I ever saw her give on anything was 90%. If you wanted an A in her class you had to do the extra credit.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The IT guy finally figured out what was the problem with Google Drive and my old prof sending me all her poo poo.

They won't tell me the exact issue, but he found it in "the settings". SERIOUSLY. They've been at it for months. They contacted Google. No one thought to gently caress around in the settings until yesterday? And only because I e-mailed AGAIN after getting a bunch more student papers sent to me? I like my school, but holy hell this was a loving poo poo show.

They fixed it 10 minutes after telling me I had to set up an appointment to come in and sign into my Googly Drive, because obviously it was a problem on my end. I was really confused how they even thought that could work. Never heard of a recipient accidentally forcing anyone to send them files.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They may have told the professor to check the settings and she either failed to or didn't do what they said. Still, the fact that they didn't double check what was probably a really obvious cause is drat stupid.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Someone save me from this stupidity.

The uni hasn't reported my grades for courses I finished three months ago so now I can't apply for my masters thesis. I mean, I can, but I have to go to the office and do it manually. God help me if I actually failed any of the essays I've heard nothing about, because I'll have negative days to rewrite them and send them back in time before I register for the next course.

I mean, they'll make an exception because it's all their fault, but why doesn't this ever work smoothly? It's the third time some slow-rear end professor has taken over three months to read three pages.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh holy poo poo there's this guy sitting on a bench in front of the library wearing a trilby, puppy on the bench next to him, reading Catcher in the Rye and expressively stroking his chin.

So Ignatius J Reilly goes to your school, huh? You should ask him what his opinion is on cheese dip and geometry.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Grow up. It takes a remarkably low amount of effort to simply graduate in most programs. College isnt hard

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Austrian mook posted:

Grow up. It takes a remarkably low amount of effort to simply graduate in most programs. College isnt hard

It is when you have ADHD.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Depends what your major is :goonsay:. Chemistry,Math, Engineering, and Stats majors are usually a step above the normal college student in terms of intelligent people. They're above-average intelligent people in a place full of intelligent people*. Why? Because their majors are fukken hard.

*3rd/4th years, when the chaff has been seperated out

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Who are you talking to

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Any class that restricts your phone use can gently caress right off. -post made during class

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Lady calls the library.

"My son has a hold on his account, I would like some details"
Sorry but I can't give out personal information to anyone but the individual.
"Well my names on the account, I pay for his tuition and blah blah blah"
"Im sorry miss but you'll have to have your son call us back for that information.
"Well what if I just call back and pretend to be my son you'll give it to me then?"

Then hangs up. 5 minutes later she calls back "I have a hold on my account and I dont know why" while barely lowering her voice. I asked for "his" ID # and after she gave it to me I told her I recognized her voice still and put a note in her sons record "Mother keeps calling claiming to be him"

How busy do you think we are on a friday when school isn't in session? I'll be the only one answering the phone til we close, lady. :getin:

Cage has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jan 8, 2016

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cage posted:

Lady calls the library.

Good for you in not giving in. The only time I ever told a parent info about a student was with a summer workshop. A dad wrote to ask if his son ever showed up (which he didn't). The guy gave his kid money to take the workshop but the kid just played hooky with it. Not my student - no problem saying so.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I wish professors would stop trying to inspire us by reading email forwards from the late 90s. I don't know how many times I've had to sit through the one about pouring sand and gold balls into a big jar.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I wish professors would stop trying to inspire us by reading email forwards from the late 90s. I don't know how many times I've had to sit through the one about pouring sand and gold balls into a big jar.

I've never had a professor do this.

This is my last semester, so now anything a professor does that makes me want to throttle them can be waved away with "only a few more months!". :shepicide:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A White Guy posted:

I've never had a professor do this.

This is my last semester, so now anything a professor does that makes me want to throttle them can be waved away with "only a few more months!". :shepicide:

:hfive:

I am untouchable as long as they don't gently caress with my graduation date

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Dr_Amazing posted:

Hahaha oh god I didn't know that was common.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I always thought this was stdh.txt

I'm apparently horribly wrong. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I mean reading it out loud. I've never actually had someone drag all that stuff in and make a big mess in the classroom.

• Locked thread