Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Chessna posted:

For the bridesmaid dresses, I know a lot of people will pay for part of the dress if they are over a certain amount (my max is $100 for my girls and I'll pay anything over that) but I'm not sure what to do if your future sister in law hasn't already offered that?

Noooooope. She said, and I quote, "I can't do anything about how stores price their dresses." She wants a black tie formal wedding and she approved a $60 (on sale) Asos dress as formal enough. I immediately purchased that dress, so I thought I was done.

I don't know, her fiancé makes crazy amounts of money so I think she just doesn't give a gently caress. And if I backed out now I'm pretty sure that would sour my husband's entire family on me. I can't wait to tell her I'm probably not going to be able to get time off (or have the cash) to go to her Vegas bachelorette party. I told her this year was super tight already but she dismissed all my concerns because I would "work it out." (Taking unpaid time risks my job.) She also has called her other bridesmaids "bitches" and I can't tell if she meant it affectionately or not. It's gonna be a ride, that's for drat sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra bird parts
Apr 30, 2012

creepy blue bird with an upset expression crashing into a fire truck and causing an explosion in the style of vaporwave aesthetics

smackfu posted:

We had pretty good success with people buying stuff off our honeymoon fund, but some people just buy what they want. We got an engraved cutting board with our names and wedding date on it, which is kind of neat in an abstract sense, but I'm not sure what you even do with it since I think cutting on it wouldruin the engraving. Maybe people hang it on the wall?

I think the idea is that you can display the front and use the back for chopping and what not.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

vyst posted:

Like the ones from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? If so that's awesome.

Yep. I keep them carefully folded in the linen closet to surprise unsuspecting guests :)

Since we already had a full house of stuff we just registered for upgrades of stuff we already owned, like fancy fluffy hotel towels instead of our cheap Target towels, nice dishes instead of IKEA dishes, etc. then we just got rid of the old stuff so our net gain of possessions was 0.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah, that's a good plan I guess.

Most of the stuff we got or registered for will go in the basement, the garage, or the back yard - which are three areas we didn't have in our apartment.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Has anyone used Vistaprint for invites? Were you satisfied?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Has anyone purchased a website service for their wedding? http://www.appycouple.com/features

I could in theory build a Wordpress site and manually track RSVPs through form-mail but this seems a lot easier.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
I used Weebly to throw together a free wedding website. Their contact form feature works alright for form-mail RSVPs.

http://www.weebly.com/features#!/contact-form

If you're inviting non-tech savvy and/or absent minded guests who won't use the online RSVP you're going to need to track RSVPs manually anyway.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
We used Wix, and it was quite satisfactory for our needs.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

zakharov posted:

Should be getting mine in a few days, I'll let you know

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

zakharov posted:

We got save the date postcards through them and were happy with the quality on those.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We are having a bitch of a time finding a rehearsal dinner venue. Unfortunately, the biggest complication is the size of our party, since both of our families are out of town. We have like 30-40 potentially being invited. Most places we've talked to have said it'll be anywhere from $1k to $2800 minimum, plus surcharges and taxes. It's ending up costing MORE than our BBQ buffet at the reception.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Could you host it at your place and get like a taco bar from a local restaurant?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Get a food truck to cater.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Re: invitechat, I've designed a lot of invites for weddings and maximum flexibility I like Smartpress, but that only works if you already have a design.

Also, we are looking for a rehearsal dinner location but our wedding is gonna be at the reception venue so idk if we should just do rehearsal dinner there? Is that crazy?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Nicol Bolas posted:

Re: invitechat, I've designed a lot of invites for weddings and maximum flexibility I like Smartpress, but that only works if you already have a design.

Also, we are looking for a rehearsal dinner location but our wedding is gonna be at the reception venue so idk if we should just do rehearsal dinner there? Is that crazy?

If you already have one venue paid for I would just use that. Order a bunch of pizzas and wine and call it a day.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm not sure we can accommodate that many people in our house but we are starting to consider it!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Shwqa posted:

If you already have one venue paid for I would just use that. Order a bunch of pizzas and wine and call it a day.

They do their own food so it'd be the same kitchen both nights.... But I am kinda okay with that? One would be buffet, the other would probably be a la carte from their menu.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Can anyone recommend a company for jewelry insurance?

My parents were kind enough to let me use my mom's original diamond in the engagement ring I'm buying for my girlfriend. The jeweler has indicating that their warranty/guaranty will only cover the engagement ring itself, and not the main diamond, because it didn't come from their store. The diamond was previously appraised at $10K, and I'm spending about $3.2K on the engagement ring setting, so I'd really like to get the whole ring insured somewhere. I don't have any insurance other than car insurance--so no current policy that this could fall under or be added to. Tried some Googling, but I can't tell which insurance companies are legit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really out of my element here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can you just add a rider to your existing homeowners / renters insurance?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The engagement ring I bought was appraised by the store for a little less than 1.5x what I paid. Is that normal or should I be mad?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So it appraised for more than what you paid? This is problematic?

I'm not in the industry, but it was my understanding that most are appraised for less. Engagement rings aren't really an investment.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

So it appraised for more than what you paid?

Yeah that's normal but I don't know if that's low/high/average.

Cool ring buying story: I'm waiting for the final diamond+band combo to be mailed to me. I get two packages. The first one has the ring in it. The second one has this monstrosity in a vera bradley bag.

Addressed to me and everything. I call them up and they say "Oh wow uhhh I'll call you back". The head honcho-ess calls me back and says she'll email me a UPS label and to bring it to a location for that. Naturally I do it because I'm a pushover but also because I fully expect compensation.

I call them back a day later and I get a "thanks! Please keep us in mind for wedding bands"

I mean, that ring was legally mine. I didn't have to send it to some jewish lady in las vegas like they wanted me to. It's gaudy as hell but that thing looks mega expensive.

ffs would a visa giftcard be so bad

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Wouldn't a higher appraisal just mean your cost of insuring it will be higher? If the store can replace the ring for what you paid for it (which is what some insurance policies dictate- an exact replacement) you should just get it appraised for what you paid to avoid higher premiums.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

My ring is insured with Jewelers Mutual. So far, so good.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
What sites has anyone used for electronic wedding invitations? We're going with a very casual wedding, and electronic invitations suit us really well. I've found a few sites with potential (paperlesspost.com, greenvelope.com) but don't know anyone who has used anything like this before.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I didn't use them for wedding invitations, but have used Paperless Post on many occasions for parties, and been pleased with the experience. There's a lot of flexibility in the design elements and personalizing things like envelope liner and "stamps" so it replicates the physical experience of getting an invite. Their tracking tools are good too and you can see who's opened the invite - so if you see that people haven't received it, you can follow up.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

amethystbliss posted:

This is where I got my insurance too

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ayem posted:

What sites has anyone used for electronic wedding invitations? We're going with a very casual wedding, and electronic invitations suit us really well. I've found a few sites with potential (paperlesspost.com, greenvelope.com) but don't know anyone who has used anything like this before.

My fiance went with greenvelope.com. Happy so far

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Has anyone purchased a website service for their wedding? http://www.appycouple.com/features

I could in theory build a Wordpress site and manually track RSVPs through form-mail but this seems a lot easier.

We used AppyCouple. We were generally happy with it. I would spring for the custom domain and the custom wedding code, because the domain looks nice, and people are terrible with remembering our random number code. So that adds another $20 + $15 to the price.

Check first to make sure you like one of their designs. They have a lot, but you can't really customize them at all.

I really liked their RSVP system, since it lets you set up groups (like couples or families) and then any person in that group can do all the RSVPs. And you can define as many questions as you want people to answer.

One dislike is that the admin site only works on a real computer, not an iPad or iPhone. They have an iPhone app which works well enough for changing guest RSVPs, but not much more than that. A little annoying if people tell you something is messed up and you can't fix it immediately.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can you just add a rider to your existing homeowners / renters insurance?

I don't have any insurance other than car insurance--so no current policy that this could fall under or be added to.

amethystbliss posted:

Great, I'll check them out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Blakkout posted:

I don't have any insurance other than car insurance--so no current policy that this could fall under or be added to.

You should have a renters insurance policy in general. Just get one and add it to that.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

smackfu posted:

We used AppyCouple. We were generally happy with it. I would spring for the custom domain and the custom wedding code, because the domain looks nice, and people are terrible with remembering our random number code. So that adds another $20 + $15 to the price.

Check first to make sure you like one of their designs. They have a lot, but you can't really customize them at all.

I really liked their RSVP system, since it lets you set up groups (like couples or families) and then any person in that group can do all the RSVPs. And you can define as many questions as you want people to answer.

One dislike is that the admin site only works on a real computer, not an iPad or iPhone. They have an iPhone app which works well enough for changing guest RSVPs, but not much more than that. A little annoying if people tell you something is messed up and you can't fix it immediately.

We're getting Appy Couples set up right now. It's nice but the interface is a bit clunky. It makes it more annoying than it should be to just add plain text to the site.

We're planning to stick with paper invites because all our friends are lazy millennials who never check their drat email.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, we did paper invites, but our RSVP card just said to go to the website and use the code, or to call us on the phone and gave our numbers. A few older family used the phone message but everyone else used the website.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

zakharov posted:

Highly satisfied! I sprung for the premium Matte, because I am not getting postcard sized save the dates just to put them in envelopes, and I am very impressed with the quality. Same for the invites/RSVP cards/Thank You cards, all of it looks great

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Please help. Sister is law is being incredibly rude, insulting everyone on group texts and privately for asking questions we need to know the answers to in order to get these drat dresses. How do I get out of this shitshow of a wedding without burning in-law family bridges? Or how do I cope? I'm far away so I should be able to just not say anything and do what I'm told and not ask questions (which is verbatim what she asked for today) but day of / during rehearsal can I sneak off and hang with the guys or something? Help?

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Highly satisfied! I sprung for the premium Matte, because I am not getting postcard sized save the dates just to put them in envelopes, and I am very impressed with the quality. Same for the invites/RSVP cards/Thank You cards, all of it looks great

I am glad to hear this. My fiance and I booked our venue yesterday and have been pricing save the dates. Vistaprint seems to be the cheapest option for what we are looking for so far, but I have been concerned about quality. The only issue I am noticing is that they don't really have envelope options that match the invites we want.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Quality in invitations seems like such a silly thing to worry about. They'll come out fine. If you are an artist or paperworker or whatever you probably won't be happy with quality. But if you are mailing a pretty invite to a party to your friends and family that they will open, put the date in their phones and toss -- it's great!

Your mom will want to save it. Do you want to spend $$$ for your moms keepsake?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Please help. Sister is law is being incredibly rude, insulting everyone on group texts and privately for asking questions we need to know the answers to in order to get these drat dresses. How do I get out of this shitshow of a wedding without burning in-law family bridges? Or how do I cope? I'm far away so I should be able to just not say anything and do what I'm told and not ask questions (which is verbatim what she asked for today) but day of / during rehearsal can I sneak off and hang with the guys or something? Help?

Have you told your husband about your SIL's behavior? Since they're siblings he can probably give you advice on how to handle her while she's throwing a tantrum.

Since it's a family member you don't get the choice of cutting ties with I'd suggest just getting your dress and staying under the radar as much as possible. Do your duties the day of and as soon as the speeches and pictures are done your obligations are over and you can hang out with whoever. IME the rehearsal is generally get in, get out, let's eat so there's not much talking or socializing to begin with. The bridal party doesn't have to do anything at the rehearsal dinner besides show up and eat so unless she has assigned seats you can spend the rehearsal dinner hanging out with the guys.

Eris posted:

Quality in invitations seems like such a silly thing to worry about. They'll come out fine. If you are an artist or paperworker or whatever you probably won't be happy with quality. But if you are mailing a pretty invite to a party to your friends and family that they will open, put the date in their phones and toss -- it's great!

Your mom will want to save it. Do you want to spend $$$ for your moms keepsake?

Yeah, if they convey the information and don't look like you just printed them out on an inkjet printer on copy paper at home (and even that is probably OK for a super casual wedding) no one will really care. The quality/style should match the overall feel of the wedding, don't send out super fancy formal invites for a backyard bbq and don't send basic low quality ones for a black tie affair.

The only time we've ever judged people based on an invitation was when we got a custom engraved sheet of plexiglass in the mail inviting us to a bat mitzvah for a distant family member. That thing must've cost at least $15 per invite. What a waste of money.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I'm not getting super fancy paper or anything, I was just concerned about the colors and stuff looking the way they do in the preview!

We're doing all of our RSVP stuff online so we're only printing save the dates, invites, and an insert card with website info :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
We used Vistaprint for our postcard magnet save the dates and for our invites/rsvps. Upgrade your paper, and either upgrade your envelopes or buy others somewhere else.