Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kinmik posted:

These two separate posts that effectively say the same thing are actually right though. For two weeks prior to booking a flight for our vacation, I watched the price fluctuate before bottoming out on the fifty-third day out. The numbers only went up from there. Thanks for listening.
42=54?

They are accurate enough claims but its the precision that's silly, given how averages work. A good recommendation: "you can get a decent deal on plane tickets 6-8 weeks ahead of time." Anything more specific ignores the unpredictability, and trying to get any sort of absolute bottom best deal ever is gambling on the market so just save yourself the headache and buy them the first time you remember in that 6-8 week window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Aramoro posted:

You want to know why East and West Berlin have different lighting?

I want to know why their lighting is still so noticeably different despite the Wall coming down 26 years ago. So yes, I want to know why East and West Berlin still have different lighting so long after reunification.

Jeherrin posted:

How old are you?

Old enough to have seen the wall come down on TV.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I want to know why their lighting is still so noticeably different despite the Wall coming down 26 years ago. So yes, I want to know why East and West Berlin still have different lighting so long after reunification.

Money, basically. Here's the article that picture's from.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2013/apr/21/astronaut-chris-hadfield-berlin-divide

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Croccers posted:

Zooper Doopers are the best. Check out the flavours:

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?
SPACE... PINE.. APPLE? :shrug:

Now I'm sad, because that branding is cooler than Otter Pops.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Chiropractors remind me an awful lot of something I read in a true crime novel once (I love those things, sorry) where there used to be a whole group of "doctors" devoted to the idea that fasting for ludicrous amounts of time cures absolutely everything. The novel was specifically about one of them who would convince her wealthier patients to make her power of attorney and then would let them starve to death. I'm sorry, I mean "fail to cure them because they waited too long to seek treatment!"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Palisader posted:

Chiropractors remind me an awful lot of something I read in a true crime novel once (I love those things, sorry) where there used to be a whole group of "doctors" devoted to the idea that fasting for ludicrous amounts of time cures absolutely everything. The novel was specifically about one of them who would convince her wealthier patients to make her power of attorney and then would let them starve to death. I'm sorry, I mean "fail to cure them because they waited too long to seek treatment!"

Was it true crime or was it a novel inspired by true events? "Novel" only means fiction. I ask because I'm hoping there may have been some artistic license taken :stare:

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Was it true crime or was it a novel inspired by true events? "Novel" only means fiction. I ask because I'm hoping there may have been some artistic license taken :stare:

Whoops, good catch. It was true crime, called Starvation Heights. It's definitely not "inspired by true events" though the writer does love to meander on about the scenery at the start of each chapter. I'm sure the Pacific Northwest in the 1910s was fascinating my dude, but there are more interesting things going on!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
They covered it in an episode of Stuff You Missed In History Class last year in an episode called Linda Hazzard and Starvation Heights. It's all true; the "doctor" in question was not a doctor at all, and she thought that by laying still and drinking only like watered down vegetable broth, you could fix health problems. She ended up coming to her demise when she got two sickly English young women, one of whom died, and she tried to get the other one to sign over the estate.

Her "doctor" moniker was completely made-up and she had never set foot in a medical school, but at the time it was very en vogue to pretend like you knew the easy secret to being "healthful."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eponine posted:

Her "doctor" moniker was completely made-up and she had never set foot in a medical school, but at the time it was very en vogue to pretend like you knew the easy secret to being "healthful."

past tense unnecessary

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

The only thing I'll argue with is that she was actually given a medical license by the state because she had "practiced medicine" for long enough, though she never set foot in a hospital. Her license was revoked when she was found guilty, though once she was released she continued to kill people practice fine, wholesome natural healing techniques that definitely didn't seem to kill only wealthy foreigners.

edit: it's worth pointing out that she considered noted natural medicine weirdo Kellog as her direct rival

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Palisader posted:

The only thing I'll argue with is that she was actually given a medical license by the state because she had "practiced medicine" for long enough, though she never set foot in a hospital. Her license was revoked when she was found guilty, though once she was released she continued to kill people practice fine, wholesome natural healing techniques that definitely didn't seem to kill only wealthy foreigners.

edit: it's worth pointing out that she considered noted natural medicine weirdo Kellog as her direct rival

I like the idea of a common-law doctor. "Well, she's been calling herself a doctor for a long time, your honor, I think we can all agree if you say it enough, it's true."

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Eponine posted:

I like the idea of a common-law doctor. "Well, she's been calling herself a doctor for a long time, your honor, I think we can all agree if you say it enough, it's true."

lifehack: want a medical license? That time you spent taking care of your kids when they had the flu counts!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Scathach posted:

I know this was the last page, but this poo poo drives me nuts. Fevers can't cause brain damage, deafness, hearing loss, or anything like it. They can cause febrile seizures but those are harmless. The only fevers that are dangerous are the ones caused by outside stuff-- drugs or being left in a hot car-- not your own body fighting off illness. If some kid has a super high fever, it's not the fever the doctors are worrying about but the serious illness that might be causing it.

Christ. loving goons. What the gently caress.

E: also chiropractors are complete bullshit. Chase those fuckers outta town.

Huh. Well then. Happy to be corrected.

Also, chiropractor delenda est

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It always stuns me how much easier long con jobs were a hundred to a hundred fifty years ago, where people would just like, dress nice, maybe rent an office, and then pretend to be any drat thing they wanted and so many people just took their word for it without ever questioning a single thing. Like, there was so much naivete in those days it's shocking.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

It always stuns me how much easier long con jobs were a hundred to a hundred fifty years ago, where people would just like, dress nice, maybe rent an office, and then pretend to be any drat thing they wanted and so many people just took their word for it without ever questioning a single thing. Like, there was so much naivete in those days it's shocking.

Not so much that as there wasn't really any infrastructure to report and track such malcontents. Nowadays we have TV news, interconnected and federal law enforcement agencies and the Internet tying us together, so a scammer can't just pop down the road and do it again.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm more talking about how it seems like in every one of these sorts of stories, the person usually gets caught after trying it on the first person to actually question how suspicious everything seems. I can't imagine that people were that actively dumber back then, it all seems to fall towards a distinct overabundance of trust for people that's the real reason so many were so successful...

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
Or maybe in 30 years we will find out about all these cons that are going on right now where no one is getting caught.

You really only hear about the bad cons where people figure it out quickly, I'm sure there are a lot more that you don't hear about because they are good.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

Not so much that as there wasn't really any infrastructure to report and track such malcontents. Nowadays we have TV news, interconnected and federal law enforcement agencies and the Internet tying us together, so a scammer can't just pop down the road and do it again.

Unless they're a megachurch or running an MLM scheme, and then they can continue conning in spite of all of our interconnectedness :smith:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Choco1980 posted:

I'm more talking about how it seems like in every one of these sorts of stories, the person usually gets caught after trying it on the first person to actually question how suspicious everything seems. I can't imagine that people were that actively dumber back then, it all seems to fall towards a distinct overabundance of trust for people that's the real reason so many were so successful...

It's entirely possible that, on average, people actually were less intelligent a hundred years ago. For one thing there's the Flynn effect, where it's been determined that, since the 1930s, people have actually been getting gradually smarter each generation according to test sample.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Survival of the fittest depends on the environment. Intelligence is mattering more and more in life. Well, that or attractiveness

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's also the fact that people don't write novels about "some guy tried a dumb scheme, it didn't work, and nothing of note came of it."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CommonShore posted:

There's also the fact that people don't write novels about "some guy tried a dumb scheme, it didn't work, and nothing of note came of it."
Yeah, a lot of it is there's all sorts of "isn't life peculiar back then" sort of historical digests. While today, every time Aunt May gets taken for five grand by a 419 its just a footnote in a police report.

No doubt 50 years from now some guy will be chuckling about how stupid people were for falling for those clearly obvious 419 scams moments before he is ripped off for his entire life savings in a Mars homestead scam.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My aunt got scammed recently when she had to do some documentation renewal. They told her the rates went up since she last did it, and she gave them like $700 when it had been about $100 previously.

Somehow they were pulling this scam off inside a federal building. They had an office and everything. The police wouldn't tell her much because it's an ongoing investigation or something, but they told her they got quite a few people.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Fozzie Bear posted:

Or maybe in 30 years we will find out about all these cons that are going on right now where no one is getting caught.

You really only hear about the bad cons where people figure it out quickly, I'm sure there are a lot more that you don't hear about because they are good.

Modern day con men are Silicon Valley startups, oh the tales they will tell of the millions tricked away from people.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

can also google "spa detox death" to find all kinds of scams that have milked people out of thousands of dollars and their lives.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Unless they're a megachurch or running an MLM scheme, and then they can continue conning in spite of all of our interconnectedness :smith:

Or CIG, but you know, that's just gaming.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Going back to the original case: the person in question, Hazzard, was jailed for only a few years. When she was released, she was able to travel to New Zealand where some of her supporters basically just gave her money so she could start all over again. I mention that because the "Oh I know everyone thinks this person is totally a scam artist or is trying to harm me in some way, but I know better!" mentality is definitely still alive and well today. Speaking of CiG.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hey guys how's star citizen going?

But in other life hack poo poo, I am phone posting so I can't post, but anyone else having those tasty.com videos popping up on your fb feeds? Like making cheeseburger muffins?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Choco1980 posted:

This is 100% still a thing. Long con jobs still work and lot's of physical security red teams do long scale pen testing to help people protect against them. If you can rent and furnish something there are actually very few people who will question you. Nobody asks "hey are you really a doctor?" when you get a custom plaque made for your faux office, especially if you're impersonating someone in an industry that's already rife with quacks and liars (chiro, massage, acupuncture, etc). Also it's very easy to research what words are controlled and regulated and for you to functionally present yourself using very deceptive terms. It's pretty easy, for instance, to get a not-really-a-real doctorate in Theology from sketchy politically motivated evangelical institutions, once you do that you can, for instance, in most places call yourself a "counselor" or a "life coach" (terms that, unlike "therapist", are not protected in many places or beholden to industry standards or boards) and quasi-legally append Dr. to the front of your name. After that you can basically function as a therapist but without any of the legal or ethical requirements normally placed on people in those professions. If you get backed against a wall you can say that you're focused on religious counseling for theological matters and there honestly isn't a lot of most cities and states can do to stop you unless you really really gently caress up (ie rape, murder, tax fraud, etc).

This is a pretty great talk about cons if people are interested in that kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K6FXe5XcHs

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Echoing the above, sham businesses are still very much an issue. Think of every 'not a cult' 'life coaching' or 'spiritual guide' or 'meditation expert' who basically push naturopathy, (e)books and their personality. Always, always look for a referral or some sort of certification before you sign up for anything where you get touched. That counts for spiritual and physical touching.

Naturopaths are the key example of this.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The fact that there are people that make a living as social engineering penetration testers (and hell, telemarketers) is also pretty telling that the con game is still alive.

Wanna hack yourself into a corporate building? Forget the sec check up front chump! Go mingle with the smokers. They'll inevitably hang out by the café round the back, because that incidentally shares a service elevator, and the smokers will use that because gently caress the sec check. Wanna get into the board room? Look meek, roll a coffee trolley into the room, and grab a seat. Remember to say "Sir" when you bring people refills to their seat. #getrichfast #jailtime #isforchumps

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also if you have the skills and are willing to undercut you can get away with poo poo because people want to get stuff for cheap and that makes them ask less questions and lie to themselves. You can find a lot of incidences of guys with real medical degrees who got disbarred or whatever in their home countries (often for, let's be real, very legitimate reasons) who go to the US and manage to set up and run stuff like surgery clinics without being questioned, hell sometimes they get on insurance panels. Sometimes they don't even have degrees even though non-accredited degrees are really easy to get and people often don't check accreditation as long as your degree sounds real.

They really need to tighten up the religious degree industry. A lot of it really lies beyond government control because they willingly deny accreditation because many of them (and I think rightly, I might add) feel that a government body shouldn't be responsible for determining the legitimacy of religious study. But when those places are handing out "doctorates" and people are using them to deceptively manipulate people who don't really understand just how many things can make you a Dr I think the gubmint may need to reevaluate things.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
You need to remember that originally the word con comes from confidence scheme. A little bit of confidence in yourself and you can make people believe you're anything. Want to walk into a building? Look like you belong. Want to do surgery? Well scrub up, walk into that OR and and tell everyone who doesn't believe you're actually a surgeon that they must be trying to kill the patient because we need to start this surgery now, and they can get the gently caress out.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey guys how's star citizen going?

But in other life hack poo poo, I am phone posting so I can't post, but anyone else having those tasty.com videos popping up on your fb feeds? Like making cheeseburger muffins?

My girlfriend really likes cooking, so she follows that page on Facebook. Although some of the recipes seem OK, she was shocked when she showed me some chocolate, ice cream, marshmallow French toast video they had there.
Basically, tasty is a eugenics page aimed at speeding up the killing of the obese.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

You need to remember that originally the word con comes from confidence scheme. A little bit of confidence in yourself and you can make people believe you're anything. Want to walk into a building? Look like you belong. Want to do surgery? Well scrub up, walk into that OR and and tell everyone who doesn't believe you're actually a surgeon that they must be trying to kill the patient because we need to start this surgery now, and they can get the gently caress out.

"Confidence scheme" refers to the mark's confidence in you, not your confidence.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Somfin posted:

"Confidence scheme" refers to the mark's confidence in you, not your confidence.
Nothing inspires confidence like your own confidence in yourself.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

PYF Long Con/Con Artist

content:

The only life hack I've seen that would be slightly improved by adding duct tape

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Palisader posted:

PYF Long Con/Con Artist

content:

The only life hack I've seen that would be slightly improved by adding duct tape

Lifehack: Don't lose the attachments that come with the vacuum cleaner so you don't have to make replacements out of crumpled toilet paper rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Palisader posted:

PYF Long Con/Con Artist

content:

The smiley on that logo looks :effort: