Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

jm20 posted:

Our economy sucks, we put positive spin on expected seasonal retail employment and gloss over full time losses.

Also Ontario was the only province to post any gains at all, which seems really dire to me because holy poo poo employment dropped in other provinces over the typical christmas seasonal-job-glut period, for real?

Kafka Esq. posted:

I was one of the full time jobs.

lol same

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

I was one of the full time jobs.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Also Ontario was the only province to post any gains at all, which seems really dire to me because holy poo poo employment dropped in other provinces over the typical christmas seasonal-job-glut period, for real?

lol same

:rip: you guys, I'm working on borrowed time myself, always a quarterly result away from pogey.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Oh no, I meant I got one of the full time jobs I lost.

:getin:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
congrats on getting your job..uh back?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I don't know how this guy still has a job. Never heard of Gresham's Law.

edit: this article meets CanCon requirements.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 8, 2016

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Looking only at full time work, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick also posted increased numbers.

Overall employment may have dropped in some places but so did the labour force, so it isn't quite perfect to just look at the raw number.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You mean aggregate statistics don't

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

The government is planning on entering the escape room industry soon

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Where would this thread be without cancon

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Where would this thread be without cancon

UsPol?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
They're not making any more escape rooms so you better get in now before you're priced out of the market

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Escape rooms are only ever going to increase in value. Start yours now and you'll be able to sell it in five years for a healthy profit.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rrsp/tfsa-confusion-rrsp-season-1.3369742

quote:

What's in a name, financially speaking?

Tax-free savings accounts, or TFSAs, have been available to Canadians since 2009, but they're not being used to their full potential, say financial experts, who put a large part of the blame on the name.

"The name is huge," said Rubina Ahmed-Haq, a personal finance expert in Toronto. "You've got to call things what they are."

After 6 years, TFSAs still a source of confusion
Special report: RRSP season 2016
"It is a misnomer to call it a TFSA," said Peter Bowen, vice-president of tax research and solutions at Fidelity Investments Canada. "That was a mistake made by the government when these were launched, I would argue."

Rubina
Rubina Ahmed-Haq says many people don't realize that the room you have in your TFSA is retroactive to 2009, even if you're starting one today. (Supplied)

Money experts say the name leads people to believe it's a standard savings account, meant for short-term savings and frequent withdrawals.

"They kind of dip in and dip out whenever they want, but that's not really what it's meant for," said Ayana Forward, a certified financial planner at Ryan Lamontagne Inc. in Ottawa.

In fact, TFSAs allow users to invest large sums of money tax-free using almost any investment possibility, giving Canadians a key place to save money medium- and long-term.

Several of the experts who spoke to CBC News said the TFSA would be better named an "investment account" rather than a "savings account," since it can shelter myriad investment possibilities: high-interest savings accounts, mutual funds, guaranteed investment certificates, listed securities and other types of qualified investment products.

And unlike RRSPs, you pay no income tax when you withdraw funds. (Conversely, deposits aren't tax-deductible.)

"They're very flexible," Bowen said of TFSAs. "They can benefit Canadians across all age groups and all income levels. They can be used for short-term savings, but also for mid-term [such as for a house] and most importantly for long-term."

Bowen said it's "wrong" to use a TFSA as a typical savings account.

"The asset allocation should be considered with a very long-term view," he said. "We hope people are sitting down with their financial advisers to really make that work for themselves."

Fun game poll your friends and see how many of them use their TSFA as a run of the mill savings account.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

leftist heap posted:

Fun game poll your friends and see how many of them have savings.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

leftist heap posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rrsp/tfsa-confusion-rrsp-season-1.3369742

Fun game poll your friends and see how many of them use their TSFA as a run of the mill savings account.

Exhibit A:

:v: : Are you debt?

:sparkles: # I'm not in debt I have 'money in the bank' *known: having a 4x mortgage and two car loans whilst barely scraping by month to month also minpaying a CC or two*

:raise: : ...I see

# You should invest in housing and you'd be rich like me

:v: : So thats like how many months full expenses?

:sparkles: # A few thousand *this is likely half a months expenses for this person :speculate:*

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

it's just simple SUPPLY and DEMAND u guys

they arent buildin' more land!!

*walks past Front st, falls into the lake*

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I can't count on both hands how many people told me that buying a house at 20 years old meant I was now safe for my retirement.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The problem for a retirement for lot of young Canadians is that, at the end of the day, where the gently caress can you tighten the belt any more than you already are? When I was making $15/hr I was struggling to put $800/month into my savings after expenses. "That's HUGE monthly savings, Rime, more than most Canadians can manage! you'll say, except it loving isn't. That'll net you a quarter million by 60 if you're lucky and don't have unexpected emergencies ever in your life while spending the entirety of it living like a goddamn joyless pauper and splitting tenements with multiple roommates. Think you can live on $7200/yr in retirement, and we're ignoring the existence of inflation for this example?

Retirement is a sad loving joke to anyone 30 or under who's done the math and didn't win the employment lottery to get into the "middle class" :airquote:. The huge bulk of the population in this country that's making $15/hr or less with no chance of raises above inflation? We're hosed. This should scare you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Were you just putting $800 a month into "savings" or in an actual retirement investment? Because it would be a hell of a lot more after compounding interest by the time you're 60.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

leftist heap posted:

I just moved to glorious Canada and have been looking into getting a TFSA set up; the response I get most often when asking friends and colleagues about their experience with them is "ionno what's that?"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

jm20 posted:

Exhibit A:

:v: : Are you debt?

:sparkles: # I'm not in debt I have 'money in the bank' *known: having a 4x mortgage and two car loans whilst barely scraping by month to month also minpaying a CC or two*

:raise: : ...I see

# You should invest in housing and you'd be rich like me

:v: : So thats like how many months full expenses?

:sparkles: # A few thousand *this is likely half a months expenses for this person :speculate:*

Basically the only way I can reconcile the lifestyles of most of my coworkers with what I'm 99% certain their salaries are is that they have an enormous mortgage, a HELOC or a bunch of retail debt and aren't saving any substantial amount of money.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

I just moved to glorious Canada and have been looking into getting a TFSA set up; the response I get most often when asking friends and colleagues about their experience with them is "ionno what's that?"

IRL I've only met maybe one or two people that have a decent understanding of the TSFA and/or finances in general. It's hilarious.

Meanwhile in 30+ years wealthy Canadians are gonna be cashing in on potentially hundreds of thousands tax free from it. And if they play their cards right maybe even cashing in on OAS while they're at it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Or they're subsidized by their parents...

Can someone post that story about the woman again

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

leftist heap posted:

IRL I've only met maybe one or two people that have a decent understanding of the TSFA and/or finances in general. It's hilarious.

Meanwhile in 30+ years wealthy Canadians are gonna be cashing in on potentially hundreds of thousands tax free from it. And if they play their cards right maybe even cashing in on OAS while they're at it.

OAS isn't going to be around by the time people who are 30 retire.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dreylad posted:

OAS isn't going to be around by the time people who are 30 retire.

Maybe not, but I'm sure there will be other government services that are means tested solely by taxable income that wealthy olds will be able to exploit.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Rime posted:

The problem for a retirement for lot of young Canadians is that, at the end of the day, where the gently caress can you tighten the belt any more than you already are? When I was making $15/hr I was struggling to put $800/month into my savings after expenses. "That's HUGE monthly savings, Rime, more than most Canadians can manage! you'll say, except it loving isn't. That'll net you a quarter million by 60 if you're lucky and don't have unexpected emergencies ever in your life while spending the entirety of it living like a goddamn joyless pauper and splitting tenements with multiple roommates. Think you can live on $7200/yr in retirement, and we're ignoring the existence of inflation for this example?

Retirement is a sad loving joke to anyone 30 or under who's done the math and didn't win the employment lottery to get into the "middle class" :airquote:. The huge bulk of the population in this country that's making $15/hr or less with no chance of raises above inflation? We're hosed. This should scare you.

It's extremely depressing that one of the reasons I'm trying in earnest to monetize my metalworking right now and start up an honest-to-god "small" "business" is so that I can gently caress off to the middle of nowhere where costs of living are real low but without the counterfoil of "no fukn jobs, not figuratively but literally no fukn jobs".

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

vyelkin posted:

Escape rooms are only ever going to increase in value. Start yours now and you'll be able to sell it in five years for a healthy profit.

There are two in St. John's right now and one of them was almost run out of town when they did a "last of the beothuk" room as a bunch of white people with zero first Nations input.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Dropped off a friend last night near Marine and Cambie at his mother-in-law's place. They are apparently receiving offers from developers around 2.5M. The house itself, of course, is a tiny old shitbox with no view or significant lot, in an utterly boring area with no culture to speak of.

leftist heap posted:

Maybe not, but I'm sure there will be other government services that are means tested solely by taxable income that wealthy olds will be able to exploit.

Or not at all, like the BC property tax deferment.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

blah_blah posted:

They are apparently receiving offers from developers around 2.5M.

Should ask triple that and see what happens.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Rime posted:

If you're investing the savings a 30 year old retiring at 65 would have just shy of $900,000 at a relatively modest annual return of 5% on the investments. Coupled with CPP your would easily be able to retire on more or less your current income. Saving for retirement for a low income earner isn't impossible, it's just lovely because so much of your income goes to savings.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ambrose Burnside posted:

It's extremely depressing that one of the reasons I'm trying in earnest to monetize my metalworking right now and start up an honest-to-god "small" "business" is so that I can gently caress off to the middle of nowhere where costs of living are real low but without the counterfoil of "no fukn jobs, not figuratively but literally no fukn jobs".

drat straight. :hfive:

(I'm really frustrated that the forging area is closed at my lab, when I need to be cranking out 30 roses this month. :argh:)

Gorau posted:

If you're investing the savings a 30 year old retiring at 65 would have just shy of $900,000 at a relatively modest annual return of 5% on the investments. Coupled with CPP your would easily be able to retire on more or less your current income. Saving for retirement for a low income earner isn't impossible, it's just lovely because so much of your income goes to savings.

I find it hilarious that you guys think small-scale investments or RRSPs are going to continue to return even 2% in the emerging Canadian economy, or that anyone making $30k or less a year will be willing / able to lock the money away for decades where it can't be used in an emergency.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 9, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

I find it hilarious that you guys think small-scale investments or RRSPs are going to continue to return even 2% in the emerging Canadian economy, or that anyone making $30k or less a year will be willing / able to lock the money away for decades where it can't be used in an emergency.

If you keep 100% of you savings available for an emergency in something earning less than 2%, you deserve your retirement cat food.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Rime posted:

Small scale investments is exactly what etf's are for. Choose a low cost one and you should be able to get an inflation adjusted 5-6% return annually on average. Also, don't invest your whole savings in Canada. Choose deeper equity markets.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It is utterly ridiculous to me that people still think "retirement" is a thing that's going to exist for most of us when my generation is 70. I honestly can't even understand the thought process behind that one, other than "well this is the way it's always been so why shouldn't it always be that way???"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nm

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 10, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hmmm of only you had some liquid asset that you could liquidate

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vehementi posted:

Just out of sheer curiosity, what are like 10 such ideas/projects you've had to abandon, if you don't mind?
Sure!

One of the things I do is affiliate marketing, which is where I advertise other companies' products in exchange for a commission (don't worry, the "ONE SIMPLE TRICK TO LOSE WEIGHT" ads aren't me). But I've literally lost track of the number of times I've gone "hey this angle/idea for a campaign will do awesome" and then spent hours making banners/landing pages/etc only to have the thing flop completely.

Some of my bigger flops (in terms of effort:failure ratio) have included:
- a replacement for MLS.ca. Seriously, that site sucks balls. I had started one, and kinda kept up with it a bit, and it was awesome, then I left Canada. I was going to work on it again when I got back, as it's way too hard a business to run from overseas, but then mobile kinda took over and as much as I'm loathe to admit it the mls.ca website for mobile isn't the biggest piece of poo poo ever so I figured the market for my site was dead.
- my husband and I ran a coffee shop in Brisbane, Australia which ultimately failed when the Australian Tax Office bought the building that we were housed in and demolished it to build a new skyscraper. It would have failed anyway because my husband's business partner at the time was the biggest moron alive, we managed to get out of it about six months before it closed down.
- I've had books written for me that I've gone "hell yeah this is such a good storyline and well written and here's this amazing cover and blurb I've come up with" and had it make me like $10. Conversely one of the books I've published that I thought was the biggest pile of poo poo ever made me my biggest single month ever. For a few weeks I was outselling Stephen King's new release.
- More recently I've begun a site that generates traffic organically on Facebook, except that the reach there has dried up. It's not a huge problem, I've just been having to work on optimizing the site more for paid traffic and arbitraging it that way, but I've had to change my business model pretty completely from when I first started. And in those tests I've had to change the entire look/feel/targetting of the site multiple times, which goes back to "people think of their business as their baby" and the idea that their perfect design is the one that will automatically make them the most money. Absolutely not true.
- I started a site selling pre-made covers for books that just totally and completely flopped. I've made $50 total from it.
- My attempt at making and selling apps on itunes. I just did not have the time to devote to that poo poo, and eventually I realized that even if I put my app up in the marketplace I was never going to make any money from it for a variety of reasons so I gave it up.

Those are a bunch of the big ones I can think of right now. There's literally TONS of smaller scale ones, but these are things I spent anywhere from days to years working on and eventually had to give up on.

Kraftwerk posted:

I've always wanted to run my own business but I feel like the teat that a lot of businesses sucked on dried up around mid 2000 so it's much much harder now.

One of my coworkers used to run a fairly profitable packaging company. He used to be a CA back in the 70s and when he saw what kind of bozos were able to run businesses based on his audit and consulting work he decided to get into it himself. He joined a company, then eventually bought it out with a bank loan against the business.

He paid it all back within a couple years, owned his own building and was taking a couple million in profits every year. Eventually he overextended himself and one of his main sales people betrayed him and stole his clients. The margins weren't as fat anymore and they went bankrupt 2 years ago and got absorbed by my company.

I don't think you can do what he did anymore and run a profitable business. I think if I wanna be successful as an entrepreneur I gotta have an idea that's worth a lot of money. With no real talents or skills beyond just being good at presenting, talking and learning new skills, my best hope is to get a really nice C-Suite targeted sales job.

His story really put into perspective how hard it is to make money now. Market consolidation has killed a lot of opportunities and with this cost centric obsession in a lot of companies you can't get the margins you used to anymore. In the old days if you had a product or service you could have a reasonable chance of making money off it if you weren't retarded. There was so much going on. I can tell by my client base just how badly the Canadian economy has decayed.

I just called on a lead I thought was a sure bet only to discover they're shutting down their Canadian operations (which were quite profitable) just so their American parent can redirect the capacity to their plants in Texas which are foundering right now.
If what you were saying were true, no one would be starting any profitable businesses.

The thing about entrepreneurship, is the money has to come from somewhere. That teat hasn't dried up. If you're buying an established, successful business then you can still often get a bank loan against it. Other people use their home equity or borrow money from rich relatives. They almost always lose it.

I always joke that if I ever had to get a real job the only thing I'm actually qualified for is working at McDonalds, and that's pretty much true. I have precisely zero marketable skills besides poo poo I've learned on the job.

But there is almost always money to be made, and if the money is there to be made, someone will make it. Everything always looks greener when you look at it from the past. I got started in affiliate marketing in like 2008. Back then it was "man I wish I got into this 2 years ago when ringtones were huge and Google didn't give a poo poo what you advertised it was all such easy money then and you actually have to work for it" and then around 2012 the newbies then started going "man I wish I started a few years ago when Facebook didn't care what you advertised and it was so easy to make money" and I'd read those posts and go "Seriously? Now there's a million mobile networks out there that have opened up literally billions of extra impressions to buy from around the world." Everyone looks at the past and thinks "everything was so much easier back then" while ignoring the fact that changes lead to opportunities. Hindsight is 20/20, and all that.

But whoever said positive thinking is necessary to be a successful entrepreneur was 100% correct. It's hard enough to do to begin with, you need to be able to be positive about things.

Pieces posted:

If you guys want to see an interestingly profitable business model you should take a look into how Escape Rooms operate: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-weird-new-world-of-escape-room-businesses-2015-07-20
This was a cool read, thanks!

Cultural Imperial posted:

All you loving "small business owners" get hosed
You just jealous of my mad job creator skillzzzzzz

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Rime posted:

I find it hilarious that you guys think small-scale investments or RRSPs are going to continue to return even 2% in the emerging Canadian economy

Yes, that would indeed be a dumb thing to think, but your wording reveals that you are one of the ones that has no idea what to do.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hookshot, did you happen to post that MLS replacement to /r/Vancouver a few years ago seeking feedback? I seem to recall one popping up there that had real potential as a competitor, but never heard of it again afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

Hookshot, did you happen to post that MLS replacement to /r/Vancouver a few years ago seeking feedback? I seem to recall one popping up there that had real potential as a competitor, but never heard of it again afterwards.

Definitely not me, I've literally never posted on reddit.