Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

I'm only responding to your own words. Your claim is that to analyze and elaborate on Star Wars beyond the surface elements amounts to "wanna-be film criticism". Why would you assume it wouldn't be totally legitimate and worthwhile criticism?

I didn't make that claim. What I did say that the deeper meaning to the prequels being discussed here only exists in the minds of wanna-be film critics posting on a comedy forum. I did not say any analysis of Star Wars is wanna-be film criticism. The devil is in the details, you see.

There's no authority of proven proficiency behind any of the things about the prequels that are allegedly rad and good, despite being some of the most hated things about them, and I'm convinced it's just an elaborate troll or just pure distilled contrarian-ism. Neither would surprise me given the people who post these defenses of the prequels and the kinds of posts they make elsewhere.

I guess I'm too much of an Occam's Razor guy. It's more likely that the prequels are just flawed than it is likely that all this cool stuff just went right over everyone's head except Lucas himself and SMG. They are fun movies that get too much hate but they are deeply flawed and could've been just better films and it's a shame they weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's a silly, if common, way of dismissing interpretation. Watching films is inherently seeing things that aren't there. The laserswords and space wizards are just as 'not there' as any thematic meaning people are getting from the series.

That's a silly, if common way of dismissing criticism of interpretation. All interpretation is not automatically correct and valuable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

I didn't make that claim. What I did say that the deeper meaning to the prequels being discussed here only exists in the minds of wanna-be film critics posting on a comedy forum. I did not say any analysis of Star Wars is wanna-be film criticism. The devil is in the details, you see.

Really? Because this:

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, not really. I don't have any elaborate, intricate analysis or opinions on the films. I just view them as fun, somewhat flawed movies with ray gun and laser sword wielding heroes fighting against a dark lord and his evil empire.

sure reads like you're saying that engaging in "elaborate, intricate" analysis of Star Wars amounts to being a wanna-be film critic. You were responding to someone who called you a wanna-be film critic after all.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

quote:

Open World RPG "like" Star Wars Game (Canceled)

Hello Everyone...

I'd like to start off by saying I'm sorry to Disney for using their logo and name. Having said that, I find it very disturbing that you want to report me to them. As if they didn't already know. You truly want to see some be in debt for the wrest of their life because they had a dream for a video game that they never created. Very selfish, and very ironic. Disney was created because Walt Disney had a dream, was it not? I find it ironic because on a lot of the news and the forums there was a quote from something I said. It read " I have talked to Disney, and they have informed me to contact Lucas arts". I believe most of you said quote " that's like a father telling the kid to go ask their mother because they do not want to deal with them." Yet I recieved emails from random people basically telling their dad to send me to timeout because they don't like me.

Secondly, I am taking this kick starter down myself. Disney has not contacted me to tell me to shut it down for those of you who think you own Disney. I am taking this kick starter down, because I very much respect Disney, and I do not want this to get to big. I love all their pirates of the Caribbean movies. I always wanted to be captain jack, but I think Mr. Depp is to good to be replaced. I have faith that somewhere in the future, a game like the one I described, will be made by Disney/EA/LucasFilms/Bioware or whoever is going to do it.

Thirdly I know my spelling and grammar sucks, but all you need is the force and you will do ok in life. I wrote the entire thing on my phone while in Childress Texas with a JUAN bar. So I did not care for spelling mistakes, because of that and I really didn't think I'd actually be doing this. As many of you pointed out I am highly unqualified. The point of this whole Kickstarter is to not let your dreams be dreams. Don't say tomorrow just do it.

-Devin Tripp

Thanks for all the backers. It made this whole thing extra funny

:psyduck:

I don't regret reporting him to Disney, but wtf?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: gently caress it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

Your assumption that I must have no self-confidence or opinions about films, because I view Star Wars as a really fun series about laserswords and space wizards and that's it, says everything that needs to be said about wanna-be film critics posting on a comedy forum. I don't think it's bad that people are discussing the details of Star Wars but I do believe that if you continually search for meaning in something, you'll find it even if it isn't there.

Perhaps I just enjoy Star Wars for all the surface level stuff and that analyzing every single thing in this type of media doesn't provide more enjoyment for me? I do think deconstruction sometimes, often times maybe, reduces enjoyment of this kind of media, as does the nerdsphere's need to categorize and back-story every single thing about everything they enjoy. No, it must be that I lack confidence and opinions. :)

I agree, actually, that "critical theorist"-types are frequently almost apophenic in the way they find everything is somehow representative of their ideology or ideologies they oppose, that's why I disagree with SMG on a lot of things even though his posts are interesting. But the notion that relatively basic observations like "The prequels are the story of how the Jedi and the Republic became complacent and corrupt" is looking for meaning where there is none is silly. Just because lots of people had a knee-jerk reaction to the prequels doesn't mean there's nothing there beyond what those people initially reacted to, and people like Cnut, for example, are mostly basing their interpretation on the films themselves and on official materials about the films, like interviews and Making-of books. Star Wars is something that can be appreciated on multiple levels, and was kind of designed to be, given the things Lucas values and is interested in/was interested in when he was making these movies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Our relationship to film ought to bear no resemblance to our relationship to cocaine.

And Snoke is still a boring dude who does nothing and at best looks neat.

"Snoke" is actually short for "Sniffs Coke"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Princess Leia is Snoke?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Beeez posted:

I agree, actually, that "critical theorist"-types are frequently almost apophenic in the way they find everything is somehow representative of their ideology or ideologies they oppose, that's why I disagree with SMG on a lot of things even though his posts are interesting. But the notion that relatively basic observations like "The prequels are the story of how the Jedi and the Republic became complacent and corrupt" is looking for meaning where there is none is silly. Just because lots of people had a knee-jerk reaction to the prequels doesn't mean there's nothing there beyond what those people initially reacted to, and people like Cnut, for example, are mostly basing their interpretation on the films themselves and on official materials about the films, like interviews and Making-of books. Star Wars is something that can be appreciated on multiple levels, and was kind of designed to be, given the things Lucas values and is interested in/was interested in when he was making these movies.

I don't disagree with any of that. I guess I was originally trying to point out that the interpretations of SMG and others should not be taken as the canonical meaning behind the films simply because they provide very detailed claims and analysis, doubly so if it impedes your enjoyment of the films; all it is is their interpretation, nothing more.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Noam Chomsky posted:

That's a silly, if common way of dismissing criticism of interpretation. All interpretation is not automatically correct and valuable.

I didn't say anything about all interpretations being automatically correct and/or valuable.

This dichotomy of shallow vs. deep meaning is not there. It exists only in the minds of people who want to dismiss film interpretation/discussion instead of engaging with it.

Noam Chomsky posted:

I guess I'm too much of an Occam's Razor guy. It's more likely that the prequels are just flawed than it is likely that all this cool stuff just went right over everyone's head except Lucas himself and SMG. They are fun movies that get too much hate but they are deeply flawed and could've been just better films and it's a shame they weren't.

When you get right down to it a lot of the major criticisms rely on the idea that Lucas didn't realize the content of his own films- not even the "deep" meaning we've discussed here, but just basic stuff. I find that doesn't stand up to Occam's Razor.

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't disagree with any of that. I guess I was originally trying to point out that the interpretations of SMG and others should not be taken as the canonical meaning behind the films simply because they provide very detailed claims and analysis, doubly so if it impedes your enjoyment of the films; all it is is their interpretation, nothing more.

What else is there? Who decides the "canonical meaning", and why should anyone else accept it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

hemale in pain posted:

Why would they base Plagueis on some EU stuff they went out of their way to make non-canon?

Bits of Darth Plagieus' backstory got "re-canonized" by Tarkin. That said; he no longer has a canonical species.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red posted:

Truly hatred won this day.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

You should try to push for the most generous interpretation you can with the evidence before you.

The fact is a lot of stuff really did go over the audience's head, or clashed with their preconceived notions of what they imagined should have happened and was thus rejected as bad or a mistake or sloppy writing by Lucas.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

So what's the canonical meaning behind the films then? Please no interpretations, just lay out the true meaning of the films for me, thanks.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Red posted:

If he had been allowed to continue, he might've been the next SuperShadow.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
SuperShadow rules. I'd love to hear that guy's memoir of trolling the gently caress out of Star Wars fans for a decade.

Red posted:

He's clearly autistic. Or just dumb.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

greatn posted:

How could someone trained in the force possibly determine if someone was trustworthy?

They have 2000 credits not nearly enough to buy their own ship, and Han Solo has the fastest in the galaxy and they need to get there fast. Also he hasn't flown in like 20 years and his young friend thinks he's a good pilot cause he flies a souped up passenger car and has never once been in space.

Look, you can argue it all you want, I'm just saying that the prequels retcon mad poo poo that were in the OT. They are also lovely movies with accidentally decent ideas behind them.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

SuperShadow rules. I'd love to hear that guy's memoir of trolling the gently caress out of Star Wars fans for a decade.

Your ideas will be forwarded to Lucas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Noam Chomsky posted:

There's no authority of proven proficiency behind any of the things about the prequels that are allegedly rad and good, despite being some of the most hated things about them, and I'm convinced it's just an elaborate troll or just pure distilled contrarian-ism. Neither would surprise me given the people who post these defenses of the prequels and the kinds of posts they make elsewhere.

I guess I'm too much of an Occam's Razor guy. It's more likely that the prequels are just flawed than it is likely that all this cool stuff just went right over everyone's head except Lucas himself and SMG.

The thing is, do we really need "proven proficiency" or authority for someone to read those things as positive? If an individual finds something in a movie to be a positive does it matter if that was the intention of the artist?

As an example, in the movie King Kong, Kong's hair frequently can be seen to kinda swirl and mat about for no reason. That's because the rabbit hair the model was covered in would react to the animator's manipulation- it wouldn't stay in place when the model was being posed between shots, and Willis O'Brien realized this too late to do anything about it. The filmmakers were a little nervous then showing the first animation reels to the studio heads, only for one of the studio guys to exclaim "Wow, Kong is mad, look at him bristle!" It's something that the filmmakers did not intend to be there at all, it's a limitation of the technology, but for some viewers it worked.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dubplate Fire posted:

Look, you can argue it all you want, I'm just saying that the prequels retcon mad poo poo that were in the OT. They are also lovely movies with accidentally decent ideas behind them.

It sounds more like you are saying they are bad movies BECAUSE they retcon, in which case you could at least pick an example that was actually a contradiction.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

greatn posted:

It sounds more like you are saying they are bad movies BECAUSE they retcon, in which case you could at least pick an example that was actually a contradiction.

No I said why they were bad earlier. That was just a gripe I had as I was watching RotS earlier.

edit: also your argument has not convinced me, obi-wan wants a pilot but he himself is a pilot. why would u involve more people in ur poo poo? i dunno maybe ya'll have no idea how to not get noticed when ur doing illegal poo poo, but the best idea is to involve as few people as people if you dont want to get caught. hiring someone else to do a job that you can already do is a bad idea.

Dubplate Fire fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 8, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This was pretty good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dubplate Fire posted:

No I said why they were bad earlier. That was just a gripe I had as I was watching RotS earlier.

edit: also your argument has not convinced me, obi-wan wants a pilot but he himself is a pilot. why would u involve more people in ur poo poo? i dunno maybe ya'll have no idea how to not get noticed when ur doing illegal poo poo, but the best idea is to involve as few people as people if you dont want to get caught. hiring someone else to do a job that you can already do is a bad idea.

He hates flying.

I like to assume that most people in the Star Wars universe can basically fly a spaceship, like you get your license at 16 to operate non-commercial vehicles, but there's a difference between being able to land and being a full blown pilot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dubplate Fire posted:

He doesn't know how to avoid the empire, he doesn't have a ship and can't afford one, and the guy he hired is a professional at smuggling and avoiding the empire.(also he hasn't flown in 20 years and hates flying)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I watched Attack of the Clones last night, my first time since being introduced to a lot of interesting ideas about Star Wars by this thread. I liked it well enough the previous two times I saw it, but it was a whole new thing (since it was also my first time seeing it on blu-ray) this time. Really enjoyable. Thanks, thread!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Red posted:

quote:

I always wanted to be captain jack, but I think Mr. Depp is to good to be replaced.

Well said.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

He hates flying.

I like to assume that most people in the Star Wars universe can basically fly a spaceship, like you get your license at 16 to operate non-commercial vehicles, but there's a difference between being able to land and being a full blown pilot.

yea except he does it when he has to... which he has shown. this is the thing, who really gives a gently caress? there is so much poo poo in the prequels that are there just to look cool, and thats the problem with the movies. everything there is just to look cool because now they could pretty much do anything they wanted with special effects so lucas went loving nuts. whatever its his movie i don't care, i just can't believe that people have deluded themselves into thinking they are good movies. if you want to enjoy them that's fine, but seriously u people are grasping at straws.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KaptainKrunk posted:

You should try to push for the most generous interpretation you can with the evidence before you.

The fact is a lot of stuff really did go over the audience's head, or clashed with their preconceived notions of what they imagined should have happened and was thus rejected as bad or a mistake or sloppy writing by Lucas.

If Lucas was attempting to convey what SMG claims he was, then he failed, since the only person I've ever anyone say this kind of stuff about the PT is SMG. So, one person got it, I guess.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 8, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dubplate Fire posted:

Very little is really retconned.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

computer parts posted:

Very little is really retconned.

Why doesn't Chewbacca explain to Han Solo that the force is real since he loving knows Yoda?

edit: midochlorians is a huge ret con also (from a certain point of view)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dubplate Fire posted:

Why doesn't Chewbacca explain to Han Solo that the force is real since he loving knows Yoda?

Definitely funnier to imagine Chewbacca and Han Solo bickering about the Force before they meet Obi-Wan. Solo's derision of the Force comes from being so sick of hearing about the magic green man Chewbacca says he met.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dubplate Fire posted:

If your friend said magic is totally real and he saw an imp with a laser sword, would you believe him or think he's loving with you?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dubplate Fire posted:

I doubt that would change Han's mind. Dude is shown to be very set in his ways.

E: there's also a difference between believing that people have magic powers and believing that those magic powers are connected to a singular spiritual force.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

computer parts posted:

If your friend said magic is totally real and he saw an imp with a laser sword, would you believe him or think he's loving with you?

I would believe he was telling me the truth since everyone knows what the gently caress a Jedi is, until everyone forgot. Also if he was gonna believe anyone it would be Chewie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

I've had friends and family that I otherwise respect tell me 100% sincerely that they've seen or somehow had contact with a dead loved one, i.e. ghosts are real. They're always mildly offended that I don't just take their word for it because we're friends, but yea they've never been able to make me seriously reconsider my position on that stuff.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Just admit that the movies are trash but you like them. I would have more respect for you if you did that, you don't have to justify every single bad decision made by the lord and savior george lucas.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dubplate Fire posted:

Because Han says he doesn't believe in The Force controlling his destiny, not the Force itself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dubplate Fire posted:

Just admit that the movies are trash but you like them. I would have more respect for you if you did that, you don't have to justify every single bad decision made by the lord and savior george lucas.

Every one of the Star Wars movies are "trash" to varying degrees, but I like them all anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Because Han says he doesn't believe in The Force controlling his destiny, not the Force itself.

He says that it's parlor tricks, implying that it's an illusion, not the real deal. Then in the greatest film in the franchise, TFA, he admits that its all real.

• Locked thread