Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

People can play games however they want, I really could care less. Here are a couple points to consider though. The game drastically relies on a certain atmosphere/tone and a lot of that is created by tension. When people say "I don't know why they don't just let me do X" and then just change it, they're losing a ton of tension created by those design elements. Why can't you take guys to low level dungeons, or why is retreat not 100%? Why can't you have enough money/resources to build everything and keep all your guys with no negative quirks? Part of it is for gameplay, but a lot of it is to generate tension.

If you understand that and still want to go change those things, feel free! I think that sticking it out will give you a more rewarding experience, but I'd rather see people play a modified version (and hopefully enjoy it) than skip out on it completely.

If you play pen&paper games at all, the gumshoe system(trail of cthulu uses gumshoe) with point spending plays on this concept as well. Some people don't like playing it purely from the tension generated from having finite resources that they need to use but might need later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pavlov posted:

Well if you didn't why would you be reading a thread filled primarily with people describing just that

because i like pain

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ZypherIM posted:

People can play games however they want, I really could care less. Here are a couple points to consider though. The game drastically relies on a certain atmosphere/tone and a lot of that is created by tension. When people say "I don't know why they don't just let me do X" and then just change it, they're losing a ton of tension created by those design elements. Why can't you take guys to low level dungeons, or why is retreat not 100%? Why can't you have enough money/resources to build everything and keep all your guys with no negative quirks? Part of it is for gameplay, but a lot of it is to generate tension.

If you understand that and still want to go change those things, feel free! I think that sticking it out will give you a more rewarding experience, but I'd rather see people play a modified version (and hopefully enjoy it) than skip out on it completely.

If you play pen&paper games at all, the gumshoe system(trail of cthulu uses gumshoe) with point spending plays on this concept as well. Some people don't like playing it purely from the tension generated from having finite resources that they need to use but might need later.

"could care less" means you do care, the phrase is "couldn't care less". Also that giant block of words sure shows that you do care.

Lets just not do this guys.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well technically I'm still right, since I care some amount. So uh, nice try?

I'm not sure if you don't understand my point, or if you just didn't try.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I like the Houndmaster because he has a doggy

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

paradoxGentleman posted:

you motherfucker

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

paradoxGentleman posted:

you make a lot of good points

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

paradoxGentleman posted:

*500 words about how I don't care about which classes you like*

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

:yeah:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

paradoxGentleman posted:

But if he gets killed horribly does that mean the doggy does too? :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

endolithic posted:

All dogs go to heaven? :(

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

endolithic posted:

We need to get to that website where they tell you wheter or not the dog dies at the end and warn them that the doggy does indeed die in Darkest Dungeon
They need to be warned

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
someone suggested that you shouldnt bother buying torches before level 3, and yeah i agree. i've got 50k gold in the bank and i'm not a Dishonorable Gamer.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zaphod42 posted:

All dogs go to heaven? :(

even this one?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I prefer cats

When will Red Hook give me the Catmaster class I so rightly deserve?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I prefer cats

Catmaster would just be a dude who lost his cat searching to find it. :cheeky:

Or just like a panther by itself, with no master. That'd be pretty drat cool.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

endolithic posted:

where do you think those rear end in a top hat rabid canines in the weald come from

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

endolithic posted:

all those rabid dogs you face? yea that's what happens to them after the houndmaster dies

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Olive Branch posted:

Some people would say "exploit the system" but I personally won't. If you need money run short dungeons. :colbert:

In your esteemed opinions what would you say are some good quirks to lock in? I think locking in Unyielding (+10% Death's Door Resist) coupled with a Martyr Seal (unsure of the name, it's a trinket that gives nearly double damage when on Death's Door, +12% Death's Door resistance, and -2 Dodge) would be intensity personified.

This doesn't work well under the current game's mechanics; first you never want to rely on being on Death's Door because one wrong move and the hero is permadead. Simply being on Death's Door also gives you huge debuffs; I noticed early on when they added the new Death's Door Debuffs and pointed out to the devs that Martyr's Seal is effectively useless because any benefits get grossly wrecked by the downsides.

Quirks I lock in (your results may vary) depending on class:

Bonus Speed 1st turn: Only getting it for 1 turn isn't a problem; this is great for classes like Plague Doctor where you want to reliably go first and stun 2 guys.
3% melee/ranged crit: While for some classes this might be a tough choice, for many they are sticking to one type more or less. Ranged, in the case of Arbalest, Melee in the case of Hellion.
+10% PROT I find useful on Man at Arms since he can guard others, and it frees up space you might have used a trinket for.
+10% HP Similarly useful.
Fated: Great on Leper or any other class where hitting is a make-or-break situation
+10% stress heals received: I lock it and have it stack with bright tambourine so my Jester's crits return a lot of stress healing, and he can Inspiring Tune himself happy again.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Iron Chitlin posted:

The final class, The Merchant, will not be part of this upcoming patch. It will be added shortly after release alongside the Town Events in the first post release content patch.

As for the release patch, beyond the final dungeon and a win state/ending, we don't really know what all will be included. If previous content patches are anything to go by, we will also get a slew of bug fixes and balance changes amid all the new stuff, followed by several hotfixes to fix the new issues. Still the only thing we know for certain is that there will be a new dungeon, new enemies, new bosses, and an ending to the game.

Awesome.

What do we know about Town Events? I'm hoping for some sort of event as a result of recruiting/loading up with disadvantages/ditching several Heroes.

How many bosses total are expected?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Insurrectionist posted:

I prefer cats

Someone should really do a spoof video where it's just some old cat lady who summons a horde of housecats to tackle and scratch the enemy. She'd have the 4 of the 5 following attacks equipped: Milk Toss (Throws a bottle of milk on the enemy, debuf chance + mark), Summon Kitty Swarm (Swarm of cats, back row AOE), Walker Slap (Melee attack with her walker), You're A Good Kitty Yes You Are (Pets and encourages the cats, self-buff to damage and accuracy for x rounds), and Fresh Baked Cookies (Party AoE Cookies, Heals 1 HP and 5 Stress Damage at level 1).

Props if they somehow capture the same art as the game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Every class should have an animal friend IMO

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
isnt the fail-state mode coming out in the release patch?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Verviticus posted:

What? Oh god no, I hope this doesn't happen. That's one of the nice things about this game, that there is no permanent fail state a la XCOM.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I believe the fail state was mentioned for New Game + mode, not the standard run through the content. IMO the game doesn't really need a fail state, but it's fine for NG+ to shake things up.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BeAuMaN posted:

Someone should really do a spoof video where it's just some old cat lady who summons a horde of housecats to tackle and scratch the enemy. She'd have the 4 of the 5 following attacks equipped: Milk Toss (Throws a bottle of milk on the enemy, debuf chance + mark), Summon Kitty Swarm (Swarm of cats, back row AOE), Walker Slap (Melee attack with her walker), You're A Good Kitty Yes You Are (Pets and encourages the cats, self-buff to damage and accuracy for x rounds), and Fresh Baked Cookies (Party AoE Cookies, Heals 1 HP and 5 Stress Damage at level 1).

Props if they somehow capture the same art as the game.
Just reuse the crone

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Awesome.

What do we know about Town Events? I'm hoping for some sort of event as a result of recruiting/loading up with disadvantages/ditching several Heroes.

How many bosses total are expected?

Examples of other events:

Alcohol Shortage! A missed shipment of hops leaves the town dry. Stressed heroes will have to rely on other activities to bring them back down to earth.
Heat Wave! Increased chance of ABUSIVE afflictions on the next expedition. This could be good or bad...
Rumors of a Huge Bounty! Increased chance of recruiting Bounty Hunters while the rumor persists.
The First One's Free! The Nomad is having a sale on trinket purchases.
Missing Cargo Ship! A ship overflowing with treasures and supplies has gone missing near the Cove. Perhaps a quest to that dungeon will be more lucrative than usual.
And more!

As for the final number of bosses we don't know currently, though as every region so far has sported 2 I'd say it's safe to expect at least 2 more.

Verviticus posted:

I think they said that would be available at launch but I can't confirm that. As stated though, the fail state is exclusive to the NG+ mode, the normal game mode will not feature a fail state.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm glad there are positive events and random bonuses to some of the negative ones. Just having the game's RNG poo poo on you some more if there were nothing but negative events could've potentially been pretty frustrating.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I hope theyre mostly events like the missing cargo ship and huge bounty.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I hope the character I personalized and item I designed will be of great help to everyone. :3:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So my Arbalest contracted rabies and I'm tempted to leave it on, but it IS very unethical to leave a hero ill, Oh morality, why must you be a bitter pill to swallow?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Onmi posted:

it IS very unethical to leave a hero ill, Oh morality, why must you be a bitter pill to swallow?

at the behest of a homicidal and very likely Cthulhu-affiliated ghost, we have assembled an army of brigands, murderers, and psychopaths for a neverending series of suicide missions

we're so far past ethics and morality we can't even see it in our rear view mirror

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Morality decimated in a single strike!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is why I don't feel bad about dismissing the weak and the insane.

They're the fortunate ones. I'm doing them a favor.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Every class should have an animal friend IMO

the arbalest would do well with an owl, i think

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The Abomination should just have a mirror.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
leper can have a little wormy that lives in his eye socket :3

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The Plague Doctor has a rat, but it's dead. :(

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Olive Branch posted:

It wears a little plague doctor mask, and she still talks to it like it's alive.
Nobody wants to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Olive Branch posted:

Of course, where else would she keep her pet maggots?