Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Weed is de facto legal at the moment since most police departments have given up trying to enforce the current law but right now the money is untaxed, the product is unregulated, a lot of the profits end up with illegal criminal organizations, and the law still being on the books gives police a piece of authority that they can use to harass people for other things, which generally targets minorities more than white people (police can justify harassment by saying they smelled weed, for example). It's still not a good situation to be in and I'm glad it will be legalized. That being said, CI is absolutely right in saying that this should really not be the #1 issue or priority of the new government or of the Canadian people. "Hey, the country may be nosediving into an economic crash and all our politicians are saying is 'jump faster', but at least we can get high when we're unemployed" is really not a healthy way to view the country and its political climate.

Most, but not all: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nanimo-marijuana-dipensaries-rcmp-pot-search-warrants-1.3345723

I can't speak to the validity of the complaints, but certainly the fact that in some jurisdictions it may as well be legal (such as Vancouver) is not consistent everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Cultural Imperial posted:

gently caress you Toronto

Toronto Hydro privatization plan in the works

quote:

Behind-the-scenes work is ongoing for the possible sale of a minority stake in city-owned Toronto Hydro to help fund the city’s massive capital needs including Mayor John Tory’s SmartTrack plan, the Star has learned.

The payoff, however, could be huge — up to $1.5 billion, by one energy expert’s estimate, to fund Toronto transit, social housing and other infrastructure, as well as a desperately needed cash infusion for a utility struggling with its own infrastructure demands and rising debt levels.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Coolwhoami posted:

Most, but not all: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nanimo-marijuana-dipensaries-rcmp-pot-search-warrants-1.3345723

I can't speak to the validity of the complaints, but certainly the fact that in some jurisdictions it may as well be legal (such as Vancouver) is not consistent everywhere.

It's more like everywhere that isn't policed by the RCMP.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I hate the current generation of Canadian politicians, also the previous one.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Coolwhoami posted:

quote:

Nanaimo RCMP served search warrants on three marijuana dispensaries Tuesday following several complaints including selling pot to minors and actively soliciting sales from the sidewalk.

*sigh*

Okay guys, we're gonna go over the Two Rules again. Listen to them:

Rule #1: Do not break the law.
Rule #2: If you are going to break the law, don't be a dick about it.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

flakeloaf posted:

*sigh*

Ask me about my life in the last few days after Dana Larsen mailed a gram of weed to every single Liberal MP. :doh:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Franks Happy Place posted:

Ask me about my life in the last few days after Dana Larsen mailed a gram of weed to every single Liberal MP. :doh:
I'm actually eagerly awaiting your effortpost from the front lines of legalization. Which presumably generally has more tact than Larsen.

I just can't wait for legalization so that everybody and their brother stops asking me for medical authorization.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I notice how whenever selling off public assets is bruited about, there is always talk of the 'payoff' and 'windfall' that can then be spent on [insert things people like here].

But propose increasing taxes and then using the revenue to purchase [things people like here] and you're treated with 'tax grab' and the like.

Because stuff isn't worth anything as long as the government owns it, but once it's in the hands of private industry well then whoooo boy look at that cash gusher

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Do... do you want to talk about it?

weed status: still not decriminalized, still not legal.

canadia status: libs gonna lib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra4R4yBIoGk

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 9, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Tochiazuma posted:

I notice how whenever selling off public assets is bruited about, there is always talk of the 'payoff' and 'windfall' that can then be spent on [insert things people like here].

But propose increasing taxes and then using the revenue to purchase [things people like here] and you're treated with 'tax grab' and the like.

Because stuff isn't worth anything as long as the government owns it, but once it's in the hands of private industry well then whoooo boy look at that cash gusher

This is majorly due to extremely successful campaign over the past few decades to convince everyone that businesses are inherently more efficient, which was made very easy to do because of how frequently governments engage in shady poo poo. The problem is that people are not very good at understanding the math behind large transactions like this to begin with, which means they are instead inclined to haul out heuristics to make judgements. Worse, "efficiency" is a term that goes unscrutinized. Efficiency at what? Making money? What is the purpose of generating money? For governments, most usually this is to spend it (obviously). If we sell a business at a profit, but were using/providing services from that business, either that business was running so inefficiently that it could have been easily corrected through outside consulting, or that company is going to turn around and profit from US.

We really need to better emphasize the whys of things, and if things are being inefficient, the answer should not be the uniform strategy of privatization. We should be looking into things privatization does to make things "more efficient" (if it even does), and ensure that those things are actually tangible and not simply shuffling around numbers to make things appear good on the books.

A thing easily forgotten in these matters is that businesses can, and often do, fail (well, at least if they're small enough). To run something that cannot, or does not, is very often going to involve an increased cost. That should not excuse blatantly inefficient or fraudulent practises in governments, but at the same time if we sell a crown corporation to private industry (and one we need, say, an electrical company) and it fails, it is unacceptable to me that those who purchased it can easily slip away from the consequences of that failure while we are footed the bill for their lovely practises.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You know how to make businesses more efficient? Don't hire lazy or dumb people. Boom shakalaka

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Ontario electricity companies can't fail, they just apply for a rate increase and get it and then the government celebrates that they're encouraging conservation and saving the planet.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

flakeloaf posted:

*sigh*

Meanwhile, the pot shop just down the street from the courthouse (the one that doesn't sell to minors and has a relatively discrete storefront) appears to still be in business. I think you might be on to something.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

Meanwhile, the pot shop just down the street from the courthouse (the one that doesn't sell to minors and has a relatively discrete storefront) appears to still be in business. I think you might be on to something.

Hence my lack of overall committal to the why of it. All I had to work with was people talking/writing about how terrible this was and how nothing wrong was being done etc. etc.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I'm actually eagerly awaiting your effortpost from the front lines of legalization. Which presumably generally has more tact than Larsen.

I just can't wait for legalization so that everybody and their brother stops asking me for medical authorization.

OK, I'll try to skirt around the things I still can't talk about yet.

I'm going to break this down in order of what level of government did what first. I hope that makes it easier to follow this loving rat's nest of horseshit.

Municipal

One day the VPD woke up and said, "You know what? gently caress it. I hate arresting people for weed. Let's just... stop doing that." This was driven in part by the fact that the medical marijuana system created enough quasi-legal grey areas that it became very difficult to pin down who was actually committing a crime.

After all, if the grow op has an MMR license for at least some of what they produce, are you going to kick down their door and... audit them? The Supremes are still looking at whether or not the Harper-era Health Canada's restrictions on production and sale for MMR patients is legal, so the dispensaries are also in a grey area, especially the ones that have some kind of doctor's note system (which is most of them, with one notably insane chain whose owner appears dead set on leapfrogging Emory and going straight to Gitmo, but that's another matter).

So the police are disinterested in arresting for simple possession, and can't really pin down the growers or retailers. So they said "gently caress it" and kicked the ball to pretty much everyone else.

So now the City of Vancouver wakes up one morning ~3 years ago and there's a loving weed store on every block. Some of them are sketchy as hell, some of them are just breaking normal zoning laws, it's a shitshow.

Eventually Vancouver's council takes some comfort from full legalization in Washington and Colorado, and decides to jump right into the deep end by proposing a business license system for these dispensaries. At the very least, they figure, we can get them to obey normal zoning laws, and set some basic restrictions on advertising, on-site consumption, etc.

Except they pass a bylaw that looks like it was written by a four year old. It's full of nonsense, and nobody consulted with:

a) the surveying department (who now need to measure the distance between ~200 stores and every school, Neighborhood House, and Community Center near them), or

b) the Board of Variance who will hear appeals from every dispensary that got rejected because the City can't measure for gently caress all. Seriously, they hosed up the measurement system, and even tagged some random buildings in Vancouver as Community Centers just to add to the confusion.

So now the Board of Variance is hearing like 150 appeals. They normally hear four appeals a day (and that includes every zoning bylaw appeal they normally deal with). Again, shitshow.

Oh, and one last weird thing- the City included a clause in their bylaw mandating that all dispensaries join CAMCD, the closest thing we have to something like NORML in the States. Except one of CAMCD's board members has this habit of mailing drugs to sitting MPs...

Kind of problematic!

(CAMCD is going through massive governance reform and will probably be an excellent business organization in a few months, but it's kind of funny that CoV just picked a random organization out of a hat and forced every cannabusiness to join them.)

Other cities have decided that the Vancouver poo poo-show model is the one for them, particularly Toronto, where city council has decided to stick their head in the sand and hum real loud while four billion dispensaries open up at the same time. They are basically waiting until the Feds and/or Wynne Junta come up with some policies, so in the meantime, enjoy your quasi-legal weed, Toronto Goons!

This was the stare of things in October 2015, when...

Federal

Somehow, Trudeau the Younger wins an election, having included full legalization in his platform. So now whatever few fucks the VPD gave about sketchy grow ops or lovely retailers goes right out the window- what's the point of bringing charges against somebody when it takes a geological Age to get before a provincial judge, and in that time you're going to legalize the thing you're charging them with? Pretty demoralizing if you're a cop. So gently caress it, don't bother. Even the RCMP are slowing their roll, compared to a few years ago.

Circling back to CAMCD, they are literally the only national organization in the country with any kind of policy experience in this area, and they're woefully understaffed, what with being basically conjured by government fiat only a few months ago. There was no organized national marijuana lobby with a constituency and political capital involved in the Liberal platform promise, so there's a sucking vacuum in terms of industry input, lobbyists, etc.

Amount of consultation that has occurred between the Feds and CAMCD to date: square root of gently caress all. That will change shortly (cough cough ahem), but for now everyone is standing around holding their dicks and having wrong opinions ("Oh, weed is about to be made legal, there's no need to lobby anymore :downs:"). I'm literally asking questions about specific points of policy or law that nobody is considering, and that is deeply terrifying to both myself and everyone else in the room who winces when I ask a question.

Example: "Sooooo... who regulates whether or not the weed has been washed clean of pesticides correctly?"

*everyone poops their pants simultaneously*

Provincial

The main role of the provinces in this multi-layered poo poo show appears to be "proposing super loving dumb ideas". They are the ones pushing to sell weed in liquor stores, which if you've ever read any study about things like the use of weed as a coping mechanism for recovered alcoholics who need a substitute, or the impact of cannabis on people who have only consumed a little bit of alcohol and would not normally be impaired, but are now CRUNK, you would know that this is such a self-evidently stupid idea that I don't know how it's going around so much.

(The Ontario Liberals!)

That's the tl;dr version of my forthcoming effortpost, with as much sensitive information as I could scoop out without making it totally uninformative. I can probably answer specific questions on specific topics more easily.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 9, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Provincial

The main role of the provinces in this multi-layered poo poo show appears to be "proposing super loving dumb ideas". They are the ones pushing to sell weed in liquor stores, which if you've ever read any study about things like the use of weed as a coping mechanism for recovered alcoholics who need a substitute, or the impact of cannabis on people who have only consumed a little bit of alcohol and would not normally be impaired, but are now CRUNK, you would know that this is such a self-evidently stupid idea that I don't know how it's going around so much.

The liquor store thing is pretty funny. One moment the BC Liberals are doing their level best to privatize the retail assets of the BCLCB to the lowest bidder, the next they're scrambling to try and insist that weed gets sold at BCLCB retail.

Color me shocked as a rock if in ten years they've succeeded at both and we're back to a healthy weed black market; because nobody wants to buy the overpriced and resoundingly lovely molson-weed being peddled by whatever multinational conglomerate the Libs have succeeded in selling out to.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Gotcha. So basically it's like most new government initiatives where we try to conjure expertise out of thin air, gently caress it up horribly, and figure out a half-assed way of doing things three years in?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Albino Squirrel posted:

Gotcha. So basically it's like most new government initiatives where we try to conjure expertise out of thin air, gently caress it up horribly, and figure out a half-assed way of doing things three years in?

Fortunately there are about... six? of us who are adult and experienced enough to be kicking and screaming against that outcome.

It probably won't help as much as I'd like, but it's so rare to get a chance to work in government policy "greenfield" like this...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Boomers I talk to think it's great that the feds are going to legalize weed, because finally they can do something about the out-of-control THC levels giving people schizophrenia. If they get their way, and they usually do, it's gonna be supremely bad.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Boomers I talk to think it's great that the feds are going to legalize weed, because finally they can do something about the out-of-control THC levels giving people schizophrenia. If they get their way, and they usually do, it's gonna be supremely bad.

Back in my day we smoked a TON of weed but it wasn't dangerous like your weed because it was lower thc levels.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm so glad someone is thinking deeply about this Very Important Issue. Clearly the most fascinating topic of our times

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

Back in my day we smoked a TON of weed but it wasn't dangerous like your weed because it was lower thc levels.

Honestly, I don't think really strong weed is dangerous, but I actually prefer weaker stuff. Same reason I like beer and wine more than drinking hard liquor -- it's easier to avoid getting completely shitfaced/high and you can enjoy consumption over a longer period of time.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Informative weed stuff

What I'm taking away from this is that they put less thought into legalizing weed than they did importing 25k refugees in 2 months. Which is to say almost none. That's nice because it's consistent so I can assume their infrastructure/economy plan is similar and feel comfortable about getting every cent I have out of canadian investments.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Perhaps there is a need for Sober Second Thought after all.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

But LEGALIZE WEED NOW!!!!1!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I wonder if the Liberals somehow lost all their policy wonks from being out of power for ten years and spending four years as the third party, or if they just never had any policy wonks for things like admitting refugees and legalizing weed.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

I think it's way too early to blame any of this on the federal Liberals. They aren't the reason the industry are a bunch of disorganized libertarians with no concept of effective organization and advocacy... and it's not their job to fix that, either.

If Monsanto/Molson/the provincial liquor store unions run the table because the dispensaries have their thumbs up their collective asses, that's just how government works. You can't defer to stakeholders you never heard from, etc.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-city-defends-saudi-arms-deal-as-integral-to-regions-economy/article28063630/

quote:

London, Ont. defends Saudi arms deal as integral to region’s economy

Political and business leaders in London, Ont., are standing by the company that makes the combat vehicles Canada is selling to Saudi Arabia, describing it as a pivotal component of the region’s effort to become a major hub for defence-industry manufacturing.

General Dynamics Land Systems Canada (GDLS) builds the light armoured vehicles (LAVs) at a plant in London that employs 2,100 people, including 650 engineers, and that makes it an “anchor to the defence-industry cluster in Southwestern Ontario,” Mayor Matt Brown said.

Like other members of the business community, Mayor Brown did not want to weigh in on the politics of the contract, which is now under close scrutiny following Saudi Arabia’s mass executions on Jan. 2 that included a prominent Shia Muslim cleric. The focus instead is on the benefits for a region that, until recently, had suffered from years of a weak economy and severe job losses.

For Southwestern Ontario, the success of companies such as GDLS is seen as key to continuing the economic momentum recently gained as a result of the low dollar and stronger exports to the United States.

But the economic gains go beyond Southwestern Ontario, because GDLS buys components across the county, said Kapil Lakhotia, president of London Economic Development Corp., which is responsible for drawing investment to the region.

“GDLS is critical to the London regional economy, it is certainly an important part of our growing defence sector, and [its work] has a variety of positive economic impacts throughout Canada,” he said.

Indeed, from the day it was announced in February, 2014, the Saudi contract has been touted as a crucial economic stimulus for London, Ont., and the region around it.

When then-minister of international trade Ed Fast unveiled the $15-billion deal, he pronounced it the largest manufacturing-export contract in Canadian history. Over 14 years, the contract will generate 44,000 person-years of employment – roughly 3,000 jobs – for GDLS and its suppliers.

That largesse is spread over 500 suppliers across the country, said GDLS spokesman Doug Wilson-Hodge. He would not say what proportion of the company’s business the Saudi deal represents, only that “it is a large contract.”

Mr. Wilson-Hodge said the company has no comment on the debate erupting over the Saudi deal. “Foreign policy is the purview of the government of Canada,” he said.

Stephen Bolton, president of the London-based Libro Credit Union, described GDLS as a “corporate icon” in the city and a “pillar of industry.” Mr. Bolton, who serves on the board of the London Chamber of Commerce, noted that it was up to the federal government to decide what countries can be sold the LAVs.

The Saudi contract was brokered by the Canadian Commercial Corp., a Crown corporation, which is the prime contractor in the arrangement.

Unifor, the union that represents about 500 of the workers at the GDLS plant, would not comment on the controversy, other than reiterating the position it took when the Saudi deal came up in an election debate in September.

At that time, Unifor issued a statement saying it is “committed to standing up for jobs and human rights,” adding “the bottom line is that the contract has been signed.”

Mr. Lakhotia, of the economic development organization, said the London region has been trying for years to diversify its manufacturing into more high-tech areas, such as aerospace and defence. There are now more than 40 companies in the defence sector alone, he said, and they employ more than 10,000 people. GDLS’s presence is critical to that, he said, and has helped the region attract other big players such as the Norwegian company Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace, which makes weapon systems, and the U.S. firm Northrop Grumman, which makes surveillance aircraft.

nuke london ontario

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

B.C. Premier Christy Clark calls by-elections for two ridings

Premier Christy Clark has called by-elections in two Lower Mainland ridings, with voters in Vancouver-Mount Pleasant and Coquitlam-Burke Mountain scheduled to go to the polls 15 months before B.C.’s next general election.

The by-elections on Feb. 2 could provide a glimpse of what’s in store for Ms. Clark’s Liberal government next year in her second election as Premier.

Vancouver-Mount Pleasant, a New Democratic Party stronghold, had been held by Jenny Kwan :love: since 1996. Ms. Kwan is now serving as a federal MP after winning a seat for the NDP in last fall’s federal election.

Coquitlam-Burke Mountain had been represented by B.C. Liberal Doug Horne since 2009. Mr. Horne ran for the federal Conservatives last fall but lost. The B.C. Liberal Party is not affiliated with the federal Liberals.

Hamish Telford, an associate professor of political science at the University of the Fraser Valley, said by-elections can serve as a referendum on the government of the day.

“People can vote without any risk of consequences. Even if the Liberals lose both of these, they’re still going to be the government,” he said in an interview.

However, Prof. Telford said he expects the NDP and the Liberals to reclaim the ridings they previously held.

“By-elections can also be very local affairs and really take on the issues of the particular ridings at play. I think we’re likely to see a bit of those things, but I’m guessing probably more local than provincial,” he said.

Prof. Telford said issues such as transit, housing and resource projects could influence voters.

In Vancouver-Mount Pleasant, Melanie Mark was named as the NDP candidate in June, giving her several months to meet with constituents. The Liberals nominated Gavin Dew last month.

Ms. Mark worked for eight years at B.C.’s Office of the Representative for Children and Youth. She is Nisga’a, Gitxsan, Cree and Ojibwa, and she served as president of the Urban Native Youth Association from 2000-06.

“I’ve been tackling tough issues my whole life and I’ve been able to deliver,” Ms. Mark, who was born and raised in the riding but now lives outside it, said in an interview. “That’s what people are looking for: Someone who’s experienced and can advocate on tough issues.”

Mr. Dew said he knows it will be difficult to win what has for decades been an NDP riding.

“There’s no question this is going to be an uphill battle. I know that I’m the underdog in this fight,” he said in an interview.

However, Mr. Dew said it’s time voters in Vancouver-Mount Pleasant had a representative who’s actually a member of the governing party.

Mr. Dew said he plans to talk to residents about issues such as supporting the technology and craft-brewing sectors, the new St. Paul’s Hospital and transit. He, like Ms. Mark, lives just outside the riding. Mr. Dew’s background is as a small-business owner, running a consulting firm.

The Green Party will be represented in Vancouver-Mount Pleasant by Pete Fry. In a statement, Mr. Fry said he expects by-election issues to include unaffordability, economic development and Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain pipeline.

In Coquitlam-Burke Mountain, the Liberals will be represented by Joan Isaacs, while Jodie Wickens is running for the NDP. Joe Keithley is the candidate for the Greens.

The BC NDP still seem like such insane basketcases that I want to vote for another party to ~send them a message~. Voting for the Greens seems like the obvious choice, but I'm kinda liking the comedy option voting BC Liberals.

Is Mr.Drew going to exclusively campaign at 33 Acres?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

nuke london and ontario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Yeah...

So here's the thing about Tory, he's a a "business man", and evidently what that means is he trusts his acolytes and advisors implicitly. He's just there to give broad direction, and when they tell him something is a good idea, he'll just say it as fact.

So we have things like Smart Track, and earnest discussion about privatizing Hydro, that got one of his rivals laughed out of the race back in 2014. This is a guy who got upset that city staff weren't giving him the numbers he needed to show that privatizing garbage collection east of Yonge was a good idea. He was told it was something that needed to happen, he repeated that to the press, so when the numbers show otherwise it's a conspiracy, rather than a reflection of reality.

If it's something his admin has been working on since before the election, whether he knew of it or not, he'll back it come hell or high water.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Tory continues the trend of really subpar mayors. Apparently the talent pool is very shallow. Some cities have managed to squeak out some accomplishments despite a retard at the helm but Toronto has just kind of coasted while performing damage control for the last always years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cowofwar posted:

Tory continues the trend of really subpar mayors. Apparently the talent pool is very shallow. Some cities have managed to squeak out some accomplishments despite a retard at the helm but Toronto has just kind of coasted while performing damage control for the last always years.

Qualified people are uninspiring, and uninspiring people don't drive the vote.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Well, it is the Serial Killer capital of the world.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/london-ont-was-world-s-serial-killer-capital-uwo-prof-1.3207957

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Have any of you Ontario goons bought a tire in the last seven years?

TorStar posted:

Ontario tire recycling fees fund boozy board dinners
The private agency designated by the Liberal government to recycle Ontario’s used tires has spent thousands on wine tastings, fine dining, a boat cruise, luxury hotels — and donations to the Liberal Party of Ontario.

The private agency designated by the Liberal government to recycle Ontario’s used tires has spent thousands of dollars on wine tastings, meals at fine restaurants, a boat cruise, luxury hotels — and donations to the Liberal Party of Ontario.

The Ontario Tire Stewardship is funded by car and truck drivers who collectively have paid millions of dollars in tire recycling fees since the program began in 2009. Each consumer pays roughly $5 as an “eco fee” when a tire is purchased. Proceeds of the recycling program fund the stewardship’s operations.

Credit card statements obtained by the Star show stewardship executives and board members have enjoyed fine wines, gin martinis and steak dinners while discussing the agency’s business.

At the Fairmont Château Laurier in Ottawa, $16,104 was spent for 13 board and staff members for a three-day stay for a board meeting of the Etobicoke-based agency in 2015. Another event, this one on Lake Rosseau in Muskoka last summer, included a sunset boat cruise.

At the Trius Winery in Niagara-on-the-Lake, 10 of the agency’s directors and executives enjoyed a vineyard tour and a five-course tasting menu, with 10 bottles of wine, in the summer of 2014 ($2,023), plus accommodations at the Prince of Wales Hotel ($2,200).

At Via Allegro in Etobicoke, two people enjoyed a $288 dinner where elk tenderloin, wild boar chops, cabernet sauvignon and Italian lager were served. Names of those in attendance were not listed.

“I am not uncomfortable with the nature of the meetings, the nature of the meals, or the nature of the accommodations,” said Glenn Maidment, chair of the tire stewardship. “All of those things, I think, were fair and reasonable.”

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

“I am not uncomfortable with the nature of the meetings, the nature of the meals, or the nature of the accommodations,” said Glenn Maidment, chair of the tire stewardship. “All of those things, I think, were fair and reasonable.”

Said every corrupt official in human history

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I'm so triggered

quote:

The stewardship spent $3,200 on a donation to the Liberal’s 2015 Summer Golf Classic “with special guests Hon. Kathleen Wynne & Members of the Ontario Liberal Caucus.” Maidment said the stewardship was “absolutely” justified in donating money to meet Wynne on the course and explain concerns about changes related to the program’s $49.6-million surplus.

An additional $1,000 donation was made to the Liberal’s May 2014 campaign fundraising event headlined by then Liberal environment minister Jim Bradley with “special guest” MPP Eric Hoskins. The event was hosted by Labatt Breweries at John Labatt Hall on Queens Quay shortly before the election.

The Ontario Liberal Party defended the political contributions.

“Ontario Tire Stewardship (OTS) is not a government agency, nor is it funded by the government,” said party spokesperson Patricia Favre.

“Fundraising happens across all parties and is just one of the ways people can be a part of the democratic process.”

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
There's nothing wrong with selling LAVs to Saudi Arabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://opseu.org/news/union-province-reach-deal-corrections-talks

Looks like the millions spent on strike prep was wasted money. I hope they leave the trailers at the jails though, that space would make a big difference to volunteer organizations who could use the space.