Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

KakerMix posted:

Yes, there was this element along with the top spot only allowing one (1) person up there.
Hah, I'd forgotten about that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wish they'd never added powerplay; the game is worse off because of it.

If you want to introduce features that affect the game universe and bring players back day after day just implement player factions already.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok, so why does my galaxy map say I have a Viper MKIV somewhere where I've never been?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok, so why does my galaxy map say I have a Viper MKIV somewhere where I've never been?

It's thanks to the frogs who saved space Christmas.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

They gave one free to all new players after a community goal. This is where you say you've been playing for months and I shrug and say :frontear:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got a bounty for assaulting a skimmer with a bounty while on a surface.

Is that working as intended?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

If it's in Barnard's Star it's because you pre-ordered Horizons/had access to the beta you were Kickstarter backer or had access to the season one beta.

Bedshaped posted:

I got a bounty for assaulting a skimmer with a bounty while on a surface.

Is that working as intended?
Skimmers work like ships, in that you need to finish scanning them. That said, if you did scan it completely before opening fire and still got a bounty, then it's a bug.

Pilchenstein posted:

They gave one free to all new players after a community goal. This is where you say you've been playing for months and I shrug and say :frontear:
We still don't know if Frontier actually gave out the ship to those that qualified for the CG.
That confirms it, then.
\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 8, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It's in Gunnovale, I didn't pre-order Horizons, and if I took part in some sort of community event I am not aware of it.

I guess they just gave it to me for being a new player? I know I didn't have it a few days ago because I remember zooming out and playing around with the map. :shrug:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's in Gunnovale, I didn't pre-order Horizons, and if I took part in some sort of community event I am not aware of it.

I guess they just gave it to me for being a new player? I know I didn't have it a few days ago because I remember zooming out and playing around with the map. :shrug:
In that case, it is a global CG reward because you are a new player and we goons saved Christmas. :v:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

radintorov posted:

In that case, it is a global CG reward because you are a new player and we goons saved Christmas. :v:

Yay goons! :glomp:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'd completely forgotten they'd promised beta players another ship, though to be fair it's been a year and I clearly wasn't the only one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If the PP factions offered normal missions that generated PP via a separate section of the bulletin board that would go a long way to making it less grindy because you could then choose how to support a power.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alright so if I plot a route, and then change my target, is there a hotkey or something to go back to the route I originally plotted or do I have to go back to the map and do it again every time?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright so if I plot a route, and then change my target, is there a hotkey or something to go back to the route I originally plotted or do I have to go back to the map and do it again every time?

There's a hotkey you can bind. Check your controls for the bind, I don't know if it's bound by default to anything.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I'd completely forgotten they'd promised beta players another ship, though to be fair it's been a year and I clearly wasn't the only one.

Beta player here and no ship. :(

Unless you meant that eagle that I sold immediately.

Turbosnowy
Nov 8, 2007
well turns out frontier donated me a free viper IV - a beta player with x days played - am guessing is not part of the CG as that was for noobs under 8 hours played which is pretty cool (thanks Diamond Frogs)

My thinking is that Frontier finally caved in under the pressure of various autists who got upset on the brown sea that they were promised one of the new 5 ships as part of a package they bought (beta and so forth) - Frontier then rather sneakily tried to change the text restrospectively and therefore change the terms/content of the offer after it had expired - of course in the age of turbospergs such a weird and frankly head scratching attempt never went unnoticed and various pubs on the forums demanded what they were originally promised - i.e. a free ship. Frontier support were totally confused for much time, stating things like 'oh that relates to the ability to buy a Cobra MkIV, or it means the eagle paint job' despite a growing mountain of evidence from newsletters and copies of the actual wording from the original deal pages that they were wrong. Some pubs even went so far as to threaten lawsuits for false advertising, breach of contract and so forth - was all very entertaining and very puzzling as to what Frontier were up to (i.e who gives a poo poo if various non-noobs got a free ship they probably dont want?)

Anyhoo looks like after weeks of harrassment by pubs Frontier has caved in (wonder if any lawsuits were actually raised) and today I find I have a Viper MkIV located in Barnard's Star. Like I know where that is and I'll ever use it. Anyhoo, some dramalama drama has gone on obviously - interesting U-turn imo :)

So there you go - news you weren't interested in reported by me - See you in space.

Oh worth a listen to radio Skvortsov if you dont know about it when space trucking/exploring/exploding shiny and chrome - tis the goon (Diamond Frogs) radio station in character for Elite Dangerous - most groovesome.

http://streaming.radionomy.com/RadioSkvortsov

Turbosnowy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 8, 2016

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Turbosnowy posted:

well turns out frontier donated me a free viper IV - a beta player with x days played - am guessing is not part of the CG as that was for noobs under 8 hours played which is pretty cool (thanks Diamond Frogs)

My thinking is that Frontier finally caved in under the pressure of various autists who got upset on the brown sea that they were promised one of the new 5 ships as part of a package they bought (beta and so forth) - Frontier then rather sneakily tried to change the text restrospectively and therefore change the terms/content of the offer after it had expired - of course in the age of turbospergs such a weird and frankly head scratching attempt never went unnoticed and various pubs on the forums demanded what they were originally promised - i.e. a free ship. Frontier support were totally confused for much time, stating things like 'oh that relates to the ability to buy a Cobra MkIV, or it means the eagle paint job' despite a growing mountain of evidence from newsletters and copies of the actual wording from the original deal pages that they were wrong. Some pubs even went so far as to threaten lawsuits for false advertising, breach of contract and so forth - was all very entertaining and very puzzling as to what Frontier were up to (i.e who gives a poo poo if various non-noobs got a free ship they probably dont want?)

Anyhoo looks like after weeks of harrassment by pubs Frontier has caved in (wonder if any lawsuits were actually raised) and today I find I have a Viper MkIV located in Barnard's Star. Like I know where that is and I'll ever use it. Anyhoo, some dramalama drama has gone on obviously - interesting U-turn imo :)

So there you go - news you weren't interested in reported by me - See you in space.

Oh worth a listen to radio Skvortsov if you dont know about it when space trucking/exploring/exploding shiny and chrome - tis the goon (Diamond Frogs) radio station in character for Elite Dangerous - most groovesome.

http://streaming.radionomy.com/RadioSkvortsov

Barnard's Star is practically next door to Sol.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What happens when start heading towards the far rim of the galaxy? Also in the center of the galaxy?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was shooting up a conda in xihe's hazres and suddenly boom, got a bounty for murder of some random npc. Must have wandered in front of my beams with 1% hull or something and now I'm stuck for 6 days with a bounty in the system where i keep all my ships.

This sucks, can I get rid of it somehow? It used to be that you could pay off bounties but I can't seem to do that now. I should just gently caress off to another system for a week?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

I was shooting up a conda in xihe's hazres and suddenly boom, got a bounty for murder of some random npc. Must have wandered in front of my beams with 1% hull or something and now I'm stuck for 6 days with a bounty in the system where i keep all my ships.

This sucks, can I get rid of it somehow? It used to be that you could pay off bounties but I can't seem to do that now. I should just gently caress off to another system for a week?

Yes, or just don't worry about it. There's no law in hazres anyway and sneaking into the station is easy. Pretend you're a pirate for a little while. It's fun!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Go to xihe, get in a sidewinder, let the cops scan you, wait for the sweet release of death.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Go to xihe, get in a sidewinder, let the cops scan you, wait for the sweet release of death.

This is exactly what I did but I also rammed the cop to get their attention

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Adult Sword Owner posted:

This is exactly what I did but I also rammed the cop to get their attention

Yes, this is the right way I think. I shall get drunk(er) and do it. :getin:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I wish I was good at combat. I'm getting my rear end handed to me at lowres and it's ridiculous.

Think I'll just become a miner or go full tilt trading/explorer...

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Stringbean posted:

I wish I was good at combat. I'm getting my rear end handed to me at lowres and it's ridiculous.

Think I'll just become a miner or go full tilt trading/explorer...

What are you flying and why aren't you mooching off cops?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Spanish Manlove posted:

What happens when start heading towards the far rim of the galaxy? Also in the center of the galaxy?

Center

Far side

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

What are you flying and why aren't you mooching off cops?

Cobra Mk. 3 and whenever I start shooting at cop targets, said targets tend to turn on me quickly. I'm finding it really weird actually.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Stringbean posted:

Cobra Mk. 3 and whenever I start shooting at cop targets, said targets tend to turn on me quickly. I'm finding it really weird actually.

NPCs prioritize players over cops and other NPCs because reasons. When you engage something, do it from the back and be prepared to take some heat.

In a cobra, don't engage anyone bigger than you until their shields are down and yours are fully charged, at least until you get more confident.you're a multirole, not a heavy fighter, act as a poacher! Also upgrade asap to good shield, thrusters, power distributor and decent weapons (I used 2x medium beams and 2x small multicannons, worked great against most enemies your size)

If you can stick with someone good and wing with them, look at them tear poo poo up, it teaches you a lot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A Tartan Tory posted:

Center

Far side

Thanks! That saves me 100 hours of countless 7ly jumps in my little lovely sidewinder.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Turbosnowy posted:

turns out frontier donated me a free viper IV - a beta player with x days played

...today I find I have a Viper MkIV located in Barnard's Star

Yep, I got one of them too.

I am now going to post on the brown sea and complain that it fucks with my careful placement of Sidewinders to mark systems of interest :spergin:

Either that, or fly over there, pick the fucker up, and then fill it full of hull re-enforcements, and ram things...

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

iRend posted:

e3: Wow, I have 3 rats headed my way. This is just silly.

Coolies. I checked in on this one this morning. I understand you've got one UK Rat ~21 kLYs out, and two AU Rats on route from the bubble. If no fish were biting I'd jump in the Asp and head out, but it sounds like you're covered.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Literally Kermit posted:

Barnard's Star is practically next door to Sol.
As someone who played Frontier and First Encounters a gently caress ton I don't think it's possible for me to forget where Barnard's Star is given how many times I probably flew that trade circuit :v:

At least in FFE they had a scripted medical emergency in one system right at the start of the game so you could make mad cash from supplying medicines and get out of your silly space corkscrew ASAP.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

If you don't want to set a hotkey or go into the galaxy map, you can look at the navigation panel on the left and look for the system name that has the route icon next to it. Selecting that will get you back on your planned course. It's what I do, as I'm using a hotas and buttons are at a premium.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

iRend posted:

I am near
PLOXU BE-1 A9-0
56,779 LY from LHS-3447

e3: Wow, I have 3 rats headed my way. This is just silly.

Holy crap. That's dedication.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I discovered I own a viper, would it be useful as baby's first actual spaceship?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Spanish Manlove posted:

I discovered I own a viper, would it be useful as baby's first actual spaceship?

It's really good at shooting things and fairly bad at hauling cargo or going long distances, it depends on your play style really. IMO you should keep it as a shooty boat and get something less combat focused for everything else, at least until you can afford to replace it with a Vulture.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

magic mountain posted:

It's really good at shooting things and fairly bad at hauling cargo or going long distances, it depends on your play style really. IMO you should keep it as a shooty boat and get something less combat focused for everything else, at least until you can afford to replace it with a Vulture.
This is true of the Viper 3.

Not so the Viper 4. It's as versatile as a Cobra 3 although the Cobra is a bit better suited to hauling than fighting (weak shields, another size 4 internal and pure speed.)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Davoren posted:

If you don't want to set a hotkey or go into the galaxy map, you can look at the navigation panel on the left and look for the system name that has the route icon next to it. Selecting that will get you back on your planned course. It's what I do, as I'm using a hotas and buttons are at a premium.

Nice thanks. I'm currently using key bindings I took from somebody on the official elite forums but I'm going to have to change them soon since I am constantly hunting and pecking for random things on the keyboard.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just picked up my Viper IV and it's pretty amazing so far. I still have it set up for multi-role stuff since I don't have enough money to buy everything I would need to make it a decent fighter.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

magic mountain posted:

I'm assuming he means he got one of the mk IVs given away to new pilots.

In which case it's more of a combat leaning multi role ship, and makes a pretty decent long range rare trader/hauler/smuggler. It's about on par with a Cobra mk III, except its internals work out ever so slightly smaller, and it's also slower and (inexplicably) less manoeuvrable. It makes up for these things by being 50% more expensive! (it does have much better shields though)

Assuming you can't sell it and just buy a Cobra, I'd use it in the same role.

edit: I should type faster.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you are new, and have a surprise Viper IV, it's because goons battered the hell out of the Christmas event, and got you the best gift.

It's a decent mid-range ship, and way, way better than 'baby's first' anything.

Grab that thing as soon as possible.

• Locked thread