Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is it normal for the game to drop blue items with level requirements 7-8 levels ahead of where you are? Or am I just underleveled at the moment?

I've done a bunch of stuff in Act 2 and killed Darius at level 26, yet he dropped a ring that requires level 33. Usually it seems to be items just 1 or 2 levels above your current level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Nah, it feels like boss drops can be pretty far outside your range. When we beat the Warden at, what, 22-23? He dropped a 2h axe I couldn't use until 30.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

nerdz posted:

Might not be worth prioritizing OA over more important stuff just to increase devotion skill procs, though.

OA is like the most important stat in the game anyway

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I used to mod for the titan quest fan forums a long time ago (which were surprisingly great), and seeing all the horribly confusing chat here about +flat/+% damage types brings back wonderful memories :allears:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing titan quest right now and it's very weird how you can wreck everything with an earth mastery and only the passive fire aura while stacking extra fire/elemental damage. So far nothing survives. Also single target damage appears to be extremely useless, considering the elites have very low HP compared to normal mobs. It's overpowered and the most boring thing ever, just run around enemies exploding them. My fire golem tries to hit things with its extremely slow melee attack and the mobs always die first.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
What's the deal with the Occultist's Bloody Pox? Does %Reduction to Enemy Health mean the enemy has x% less health while Bloody Pox is applied? The Bleeding and Vitality damage seem piss poor, so the only other use I could think of for the skill would be the Confuse maybe combined with Fevered Rage? I feel like I'm missing something here.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011

boho posted:

What's the deal with the Occultist's Bloody Pox? Does %Reduction to Enemy Health mean the enemy has x% less health while Bloody Pox is applied? The Bleeding and Vitality damage seem piss poor, so the only other use I could think of for the skill would be the Confuse maybe combined with Fevered Rage? I feel like I'm missing something here.

I believe the % damage is done per tick so its actually pretty good. However it only works well on trash is my understanding as bosses are highly resistant to % hp reduction.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
I'm glad this game finally has a thread as I've sunk way, way too much time into it over the past few weeks. hard to settle on just 1 character as ive been playing like half a dozen so far.

1. I have a 58 witch-hunter (nightblade/occultist) that I focused on poison damage. very fun quick strike with shadow strike and the poison application, would add in a dreeg's eye as well. the skill from mark of dreeg is incredibly powerful and can be used at very low level. He's a bit undergeared and not quite sure how viable it is in elite but it was tons of fun in normal.

2. level 51 bleed/vitality conjurer (shaman/occultist). I focus on tons of +vitality + bleed damage gear; I had 2 legendaries for this build drop while playing my witchhunter so it was great to get to start to use them. between devouring swarm, bloody pox, and I have a lifesteal nova on my belt and my chest/relic put out huge dots when I get hit trash just falls over dead. It's also been surprisingly tanky with hp passives and healing from wendigo totem/lifesteal/added raven just for heals. Didnt take any other pets and will probably spec out of the raven later.

I have 3 other characters in the mid to late 30s which are also great.. I have a fire/burn damage commando (demo/soldier) which is great but sustain seems an issue. I have a primal strike druid (shaman/arcanist) who just craps out lightning damage everywhere and is awesome so far, and a 1h/shield warder i've been using forcewave/lacerate/tons of internal trauma damage and is just hilariously tanky.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are there any skills that do enough Chaos Damage to focus on that damage type?

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011

The Royal Scrub posted:

Doom bolt and sigil of consumption do chaos damage but not exclusively. I know there are also some item skills that do chaos damage as well. It's a bit hard to itemize for and it also can be a bit harder to get -chaos resist debuffs (curse of frailty for example does not debuff chaos resistance). Also chthonics which are a big chunk of the later acts have high chaos resist from my understanding. If you do go heavy chaos you'd need to split with another type at the very least.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Doom bolt has a 10 second cooldown so I don't see that being usable by itself.

It is very fun for deleting people you don't like though.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
So I went back to one of my first characters, a 39 druid and respecced him for melee. I think Primal Strike is my favorite attack in the game, it owns.

I had no good rings for my build so I'm using two Chillsurge Rings and I gotta say the proc is great for survivability. If you have the ring and are melee it may be worth trying out even if you don't benefit from the stats at least while leveling :)

e: Anyone have a suggestion on stat points for a melee druid? I've put 30 into physique so far.

Erz fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 9, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Royal Scrub posted:

You could probably combine Chaos Bolt with Albrechts Aether Ray in Arcanist, which can be converted into Chaos damage.

Erz posted:

e: Anyone have a suggestion on stat points for a melee druid? I've put 30 into physique so far.

Something like a 50/50 mix of Physique and Spirit should do ok for you, if you're focusing on elemental damage as you should. You shouldn't need cunning at all, you'll get OA from straight OA bonuses from masteries, devotion and gear.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I think I'm going to try for Physical/Chaos. It seems like a Witchblade using Solael's Witchfire and Cadence/Discord could get a decent amount of flat chaos damage going, with at least some AoE. Something like this with who knows what for Devotion, but I think there's good stuff along these lines.

Does every bit of my added %Chaos and %Total damage get lumped together, or do they apply global/local separately?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

This seems pretty good, though I agree that it's a bit monochromatic. I've been playing a 2h Shaman/Soldier using Savagery but I'm not sure about a few things:

It seems like the way to go is bleed/physical, but I'm concerned that speccing for bleed will make me poo poo against elites or other stuff with a lot of health because it doesn't seem like bleed stacks on enemies multiple times, is that wrong?

If I'm going bleed/phys is 50/50 Physique/Cunning the correct way to spend stat points?

Edit:
Also are there hotkeys to pick up items or highlight interactables?

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 9, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I specced for physical and bleed and you really feel gimped when dealing with stuff that does not bleed. but bleed is actually pretty good against elites. it's rather common for me to die and have the elite bleed out right after me.

Also god drat, I just finished the first act of titan quest and it felt longer than grim dawn's entire campaign. this is going to take a while right?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

nerdz posted:

I specced for physical and bleed and you really feel gimped when dealing with stuff that does not bleed. but bleed is actually pretty good against elites. it's rather common for me to die and have the elite bleed out right after me.

Also god drat, I just finished the first act of titan quest and it felt longer than grim dawn's entire campaign. this is going to take a while right?

Dealing with enemies that don't bleed does sound pretty poo poo. I'm not sure if there's a better option, though.

Also, yes, Titan Quest is rather long.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wallet posted:

Dealing with enemies that don't bleed does sound pretty poo poo. I'm not sure if there's a better option, though.

Also, yes, Titan Quest is rather long.

One of the endgame dungeons is basically skeletons and ghosts. What was supposed to be hard got even harder.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I guess I'm in Act 4 right now, and it's really stupid how 90% of the loot drops are caster daggers and caster offhands. I get it, the loot is kinda themed for whatever is dropping it, but come the gently caress on. My inventory when I go back to town is hundreds of yellow daggers and caster offhands from blood cultists.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
If you're having problems getting an upgrade for a specific slot, for reals, try using the blacksmith. It's cheaper (and funner) than reloading the game looking for a shop to sell what you want. It also seems that there's about a 25% chance that your yellow craft will be a green.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

If you're having problems getting an upgrade for a specific slot, for reals, try using the blacksmith. It's cheaper (and funner) than reloading the game looking for a shop to sell what you want. It also seems that there's about a 25% chance that your yellow craft will be a green.

Does the blacksmith gear scale to your level or something? I assumed you had to find recipes for non-level 1 stuff.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I went into that death dungeon at the end of The Steps of Torment.

That was a bad idea. :( Guess I need to craft a new key now.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Does the blacksmith gear scale to your level or something? I assumed you had to find recipes for non-level 1 stuff.

You don't have to find any recipes. I believe recipes are locked and don't scale.

Just craft the default yellow stuff that blacksmith has to offer. It'll scale to your level. Try it a couple times. If you like the results, know that it's a tool in your toolbox.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 9, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

So I did Steps of Torment last night at level 48 (Veteran) with that homebrew Hulk Grenadier build I have posted in the OP. I had level 30ish gear at the time. Although it was pretty intense (if you die, no coming back), I didn't seem to struggle that much, and I came out of the dungeon with more health potions than I started with.

I got a sweet 2-handed sword from the last boss with an amazing activated ability on it: https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/3797-Alkamos'-Warsword

Seems great for a physical + cold/elemental build.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

After spending quite a lot of time doing Devotion setups for different builds, it kind of feels like there's a "correct solution" for each character build, which slightly takes the fun out of things. Some constellations are so much stronger than the rest (hello Targos, Hawk, Viper) that you're basically shoehorned into specific setups. So far, I haven't found a character where I haven't been able to come up with a solution that comes down to the last devotion point. Annoyingly, the best solution for Druids requires 51 points, meaning that you have to skip a good bonus somewhere, in this particular case the Hourglass timestop active or 8% health in Targo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Mash posted:

After spending quite a lot of time doing Devotion setups for different builds, it kind of feels like there's a "correct solution" for each character build, which slightly takes the fun out of things. Some constellations are so much stronger than the rest (hello Targos, Hawk, Viper) that you're basically shoehorned into specific setups. So far, I haven't found a character where I haven't been able to come up with a solution that comes down to the last devotion point. Annoyingly, the best solution for Druids requires 51 points, meaning that you have to skip a good bonus somewhere, in this particular case the Hourglass timestop active or 8% health in Targo.

Are the weapon specific constellations any good? The bonuses seem rather significant, though I don't really understand what 100% armor piercing means in the sword constelation. So all physical damage is converted to piercing?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Those are alright, although in my experience, generally the correct way to solve the Devotion tree is to find the single tier 3 constellation that is best for your build, see if there's another tier 3 constellation with similar requirements that is also good for your build (Oleron/Living Shadow or Spear of Heaven/Hourglass, for instance), then build for those two, making sure you get Hawk and Targos on the way, and Viper too for most builds. All the middle stuff ends up being just fluff to meet the requirements.

E: Armor piercing % on a weapon is how much of thats weapons physical damage is converted into pierce damage instead, to be multiplied later by +% pierce damage bonuses. A +100% armor piercing bonus means that the listed % on your weapons will be doubled. The +100% armor piercing bonus will only increase your damage if:
A) You are currently using at least one weapon with a % armor piercing ratio on it
AND
B) You have more +% pierce damage than +% physical damage

E2: Technically, you can ignore B) if you instead fight monsters with low pierce resistance, either from their natural stats or through pierce resistance debuffs like Nights Chill

The Mash fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 10, 2016

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Wow I just got to ultimate and dropped some damage for resists but I still get owned by elites. I think I'll have to switch to a ranged build while I gear up. :(

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I ended up giving up on my cold gunner. It really wasn't working very well, so I just took all the crafting bits and turned iron into healing pots and moved it over to a new witchblade. I'm using the chaos cadence, solael's, and a bunch of the soldier procs and shield passives, and it's working much better. Chaos Strike (from riftstone) hits for 50% of a rare spawn's hp now

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Erz posted:

Wow I just got to ultimate and dropped some damage for resists but I still get owned by elites. I think I'll have to switch to a ranged build while I gear up. :(

Talking about range vs. melee against really nasty stuff, yesterday with my Hulk Grenadier I finally finished the Rover quest to spawn the Avatar of Mogdrogen shrine. I felt like a complete badass (no deaths on Veteran yet, kinda made SoT my bitch), so I wanted to fight him. Dude completely owned me.

I was like level 51 at the time, but he spawned in as 76. How come in videos he's only level 60?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Most videos are probably from B28 which was capped at 60 and lasted for several months.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
epic game.. anyone doing hc chars..?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I updated my Hulk Grenadier build slightly. Importantly, I revamped my Devotions. I may have to re-evaluate once I get into the higher levels of Elite and Ultimate, but so far it's performing really well.

Skills and Devotions:
- Level 50 build: http://grimcalc.com/build/wsL6M9
- End game build: http://grimcalc.com/build/KIwh4X

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've been playing through as a shaman/nightblade and it's working out quite well. I respec'd from 2h to dual wield and it's super fun chopping up everything. Strangely it seems not many people use the shaman class but it seems pretty good on normal anyway. I'm sure my devotions aren't optimal but I'm having fun!

I'm enjoying this game way more than PoE and Diablo 3 for what it's worth. Super fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vasler posted:

I've been playing through as a shaman/nightblade and it's working out quite well. I respec'd from 2h to dual wield and it's super fun chopping up everything. Strangely it seems not many people use the shaman class but it seems pretty good on normal anyway. I'm sure my devotions aren't optimal but I'm having fun!

I'm enjoying this game way more than PoE and Diablo 3 for what it's worth. Super fun.

I picked shaman as my second class for my dual pistols demolitionist and kind of regretted it since so many of the skills seem to require 2h melee weapons. Still, the vines and regen aura are pretty nice. The reason it doesn't seem as popular as the other classes is probably because it was only added about 2 months ago.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is there a particular reason why they'd just shut down certain damage types on mobs? Are bleeds and such so loving OP that they need to make it so a bunch of enemy types are just immune to them?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any Devotion path recommendations for a Curse/Warcry stacking Witchblade? At first I thought I might try to stack all physical talents, but now I'm thinking maybe I should build Acid/Poison instead and rush Manticore for that -all resist proc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is there a particular reason why they'd just shut down certain damage types on mobs? Are bleeds and such so loving OP that they need to make it so a bunch of enemy types are just immune to them?

It doesn't make any sense for a skeleton or golem to take bleed damage :shrug:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

The Moon Monster posted:

I picked shaman as my second class for my dual pistols demolitionist and kind of regretted it since so many of the skills seem to require 2h melee weapons. Still, the vines and regen aura are pretty nice. The reason it doesn't seem as popular as the other classes is probably because it was only added about 2 months ago.

I was initially underwhelmed too but then I discovered that Savagery works with any melee weapon! It's a really cool ability and it seems to synergise really well with the dual wield abilities from the nightblade tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think they should make the default attack passive descrpitions a little more clear, or maybe a little less specific. I skipped the ones at the top of the Shaman tree for the longest time because I thought they were for default attack actions only, as in "the crossed swords thing labeled attack." Savagery kind of says it's a replacement for default attacks, but it's so vague that I was under the impression that it didn't count as one. They really ought to just label every active that counts as one with "THIS COUNTS AS A DEFAULT ATTACK" or "EVERY ATTACK BUT THE THIRD IS CONSIDERED A DEFAULT ATTACK" in big colored lettering.