Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

a cop posted:

One day I'll fly for reasons other than war...

The next battle's going to be violent, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Keep in mind that some weapons are actually IMPROVED by doubling up as a Fencer. The most obvious example is stuff like Javelin launchers which don't even really work properly on their own, but even stuff like your default miniguns work much better when you're firing two of them simultaneously. Two heavy artillery weapons also help by letting you alternate shots for a consistent DPS.

Best Fencer is weapon is fist-on-a-piston and no one can deny this fact.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

The next battle's going to be violent, too!

Don't say anything like "After this battle, I'm getting married", that'll just land you in your grave.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Infinity Gaia posted:

Spine Driver merits a mention for how ridiculous it looks.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I call him Fisto Roboto!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

nogic posted:

Don't say anything like "After this battle, I'm getting married", that'll just land you in your grave.

If I die, take care of my family

That's impossible!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Are we going to die here?

YES SIR!

(to be fair, they're not entirely wrong to expect that)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Can anybody tell me why EDF2025 got an M rating? The box art I found doesn't list the details. I remember EDF2017 being pretty tame (aside from, y'know, the death toll) and I'm wondering if EDF2025 is something I shouldn't play in front of/with my kids.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think some of the EDF soldiers might swear occasionally. I never noticed that in my many hours of playing 2025, though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

Can anybody tell me why EDF2025 got an M rating? The box art I found doesn't list the details. I remember EDF2017 being pretty tame (aside from, y'know, the death toll) and I'm wondering if EDF2025 is something I shouldn't play in front of/with my kids.

As a child I played Contra with my dad.

I dunno, some of the bugs could be scary to five year olds... Any boy the age of 8+ should find EDF to be stupidly awesome. You know your kids, would you watch something like Starship Troopers with them?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

As a child I played Contra with my dad.

I dunno, some of the bugs could be scary to five year olds... Any boy the age of 8+ should find EDF to be stupidly awesome. You know your kids, would you watch something like Starship Troopers with them?
I'd put my flag in this camp. Giant spiders would probably clinch it. Pretty common fear, after all. For all the fun everybody pokes at EDF hardly being a graphic masterpiece, all those scuttling insect critters would probably make anyone with a phobia run screaming.

Blasting them into a fine, bloody mist probably counts as therapy though. :black101:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Content Descriptors: Blood, Language, Violence

Other: Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB (PlayStation 4)

Rating Summary: This is a third-person shooter in which players assume the role of military soldiers defending cities from giant insects and aliens. Players use lasers, machine guns, turrets, and rockets launchers to destroy alien robots, spacecraft and creatures (e.g., ants, spiders, dragons). Players can also use jet packs, tanks, and helicopters to fight enemies in frenetic combat. Battles are accompanied by realistic gunfire and large explosions. Large splashes of red blood frequently appear when creatures are hit and when human characters are attacked. The word “sh*t” appears in the dialogue.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Didn't do poo poo, sir!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The blood is the big one. Same reason Halo was M for all those years.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Wouldn't the civilian death (and the fact you can "accidentally" blow them up...to safety) also count against it?

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
It's been quite a year, hasn't it? I decided this year I'd do something different than watch the ball drop while drinking alone, instead, I'd drop my own ball while drinking alone for New Years. This is the result of that decision.

https://youtu.be/rGJsoYF8SPQ

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Seiren posted:

It's been quite a year, hasn't it? I decided this year I'd do something different than watch the ball drop while drinking alone, instead, I'd drop my own ball while drinking alone for New Years. This is the result of that decision.

https://youtu.be/rGJsoYF8SPQ

This is an excellent video!

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

For the best EDF nonsense possible, shoot a Pure Decoy onto a Bee Queen. Shenanigans are guaranteed to ensue.

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 2, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

OGodkillerBees EDFing for a bit, I think

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Wow, Giant Robots is a very sudden difficulty spike, particularly online.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkCQzEFlsU

Going to visit Nothung.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Does anyone have any tips for clearing level 89 in the solo levels? I can get to the 3rd phase, but my health is usually down to double digits by that time, and very few health pickups drop. If I stop trying to deal with dragons and actually kill the brain parts, the dragons swarm me pretty quickly.

My ranger has 600hp, and I have a rocket launcher that does 1200 damage with a 4 second reload. I have also been using AF17 (or 18 can't remember which) to deal with the flying crap. I am trying this on normal.

Do I just have to grind out a lot of hp on early levels, or am I missing something important?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just got 4.1.

I loving adore that you can start singing the anthem and your buds will pick you up. EEEEEEEEE DEEEEEEEEE EEEEEFFFFF!!!!!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ran into a bug that's killing my enjoyment of the game. No matter what I do, the game will not save my progress passed mission 83. I just did 83-93 and when I exit the room and re-create it it just wipes everything I did. It's been like this for the last few weeks. I've tried having other people make rooms etc. Nothing works.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

a cop posted:

Ran into a bug that's killing my enjoyment of the game. No matter what I do, the game will not save my progress passed mission 83. I just did 83-93 and when I exit the room and re-create it it just wipes everything I did. It's been like this for the last few weeks. I've tried having other people make rooms etc. Nothing works.

I have had a couple of times where it wouldn't autosave on the first try but it would retry and work fine then, but nothing that severe. Very strange. Does it still save properly for earlier missions? Different classes? Maybe report it to XSEED or something.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Light Gun Man posted:

I have had a couple of times where it wouldn't autosave on the first try but it would retry and work fine then, but nothing that severe. Very strange. Does it still save properly for earlier missions? Different classes? Maybe report it to XSEED or something.

Yeah everything works fine with earlier ones. I haven't tried using a different class since I only ever use wing diver and it would be a bit of work to get enough gear to finish 83, even on easy, with a different class. That's a good idea though, I'll try that. No idea how I'd go about reporting it, I just want to be able to unlock every mission and finish the game :(

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I had that happen to with like levels 42 to 60 in online the first time I played them. When I went to start where I left off, they were all locked again.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Obsurveyor posted:

I had that happen to with like levels 42 to 60 in online the first time I played them. When I went to start where I left off, they were all locked again.

It fixed for you when you went through them again, though? I must have done mission 83 at least 10 separate times at this point. It never saves. I have missions 94 and 95 completed from other online play, so I thought that maybe there was a glitch because of the gap. But then I did 83-93 and they still re-locked when I logged back in :(

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'll hop online tonight and we can try getting you through 83 on another class if you want.

Hell I have all the missions unlocked, I'll run you through the whole endgame if you want.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 10, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Light Gun Man posted:

I'll hop online tonight and we can try getting you through 83 on another class if you want.

Hell I have all the missions unlocked, I'll run you through the whole endgame if you want.

Woo, thanks! Completing a few missions w/ a different class fixed it. Now my progress is saving, even with Wing Diver.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why is Insect Armageddon the only PC EDF game?
It's killing me!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

a cop posted:

Woo, thanks! Completing a few missions w/ a different class fixed it. Now my progress is saving, even with Wing Diver.

The game's just trying to make sure you're a well rounded soldier is all :shobon:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Orvin posted:

Does anyone have any tips for clearing level 89 in the solo levels? I can get to the 3rd phase, but my health is usually down to double digits by that time, and very few health pickups drop. If I stop trying to deal with dragons and actually kill the brain parts, the dragons swarm me pretty quickly.

My ranger has 600hp, and I have a rocket launcher that does 1200 damage with a 4 second reload. I have also been using AF17 (or 18 can't remember which) to deal with the flying crap. I am trying this on normal.

Do I just have to grind out a lot of hp on early levels, or am I missing something important?

You can get way better gear and armor. Farm 1 and 3 on hardest.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

You can get way better gear and armor. Farm 1 and 3 on hardest.

I thought 2 was the easiest weapon farming level in the early game by a lot.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

keyboard vomit posted:

The solution is always giant punchbot and Whale.

Whale is amazing, and for mid-Normal/Hard, you can use the 150mm strike as a gun as long as you're skilled at rolling backwards like crazy. If you have red ants chasing you, the 150mm cannon reloads in one to two grey ant/anything deaths, and you can rapid fire it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MI-z6uaZus

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

lets hang out posted:

Content Descriptors: Blood, Language, Violence

Other: Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB (PlayStation 4)

Rating Summary: This is a third-person shooter in which players assume the role of military soldiers defending cities from giant insects and aliens. Players use lasers, machine guns, turrets, and rockets launchers to destroy alien robots, spacecraft and creatures (e.g., ants, spiders, dragons). Players can also use jet packs, tanks, and helicopters to fight enemies in frenetic combat. Battles are accompanied by realistic gunfire and large explosions. Large splashes of red blood frequently appear when creatures are hit and when human characters are attacked. The word “sh*t” appears in the dialogue.
Where'd you find this full info? Would be an interesting site to hold onto.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
If you've ever played the air raider and wondered what the SDL bike is good for I have found the answer. (6:45 in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_oXu-4FIg

Izno fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 11, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Macaroni posted:

Where'd you find this full info? Would be an interesting site to hold onto.

http://www.esrb.org/ They put these super clinical descriptions up for every game they rate. Some of them are pretty funny.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Izno posted:

If you've ever played the air raider and wondered what the SDL bike is good for I have found the answer. (6:45 in the video)

Bikes are the best, doubly so when they only move in reverse. The plunge into the pit at 12:30 :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

lets hang out posted:

http://www.esrb.org/ They put these super clinical descriptions up for every game they rate. Some of them are pretty funny.
The top of their list currently is Assassin's Creed Chronicles. I can imagine even the folks at the ESRB are probably rolling their eyes like slot machines and wishing Ubisoft would just stop already. Or wish they could have some fun with it - :what: 'Rating delayed, game crashed every time we tried to start it.'