Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

magic sucked when spells were overpowered and creatures sucked. just fyi for everyone that started playing in the last decade

i'm a fuckin wizard yeahhh *runs to a phonebooth and calls anafenza* hey i dont' actually know magic can i borrow a rhino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

born on a buy you posted:

magic sucked when spells were overpowered and creatures sucked. just fyi for everyone that started playing in the last decade

It would be more fun if we had both overpowered creatures AND spells.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
These commons all seem weirdly strong? some of these could easily be uncommons in weaker sets.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Failboattootoot posted:

It would be more fun if we had both overpowered creatures AND spells.

Standard with Jace/Leak/Bolt/Day and also the Titans was the best standard.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

stinkles1112 posted:

Shock with an upside is currently in standard.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I like lower power levels in standard. The fewer Siege Rhinos and Mantis Riders around the better. I like games being a little durdley and less swingy, and lower average power level seems to lead to gameplay decisions, deck construction and player skill being bigger determinant factors than just "turn 4 Siege Rhino turn 5 Siege Rhino oops I win".

From what I hear nobody is actually playing Standard anymore unless they have to for a GP or whatever, so you probably are alone.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So Brian Kibler, while playing Magic Online, just said, unironically, that it's a great program.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking of overpowered creatures and spells I feel like it may finally be Monastery Mentor's time to truly shine. 1 mana cantrips and dehydrations don't look super exciting but MoMe combined with them will probably kick the poo poo out of your average standard deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

So Brian Kibler, while playing Magic Online, just said, unironically, that it's a great program.

the sad part is that compared to a year ago or a year and a half ago, it really is great. It's now nearly at the bare minimum. Soon we might even have a program that scrapes the lofty heights of "satisfactory."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

the sad part is that compared to a year ago or a year and a half ago, it really is great. It's now nearly at the bare minimum. Soon we might even have a program that scrapes the lofty heights of "satisfactory."

All of the stuff they fixed are incremental under-the-hood stuff so it's not like I don't understand why so many people still hate it by default.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

All of the stuff they fixed are incremental under-the-hood stuff so it's not like I don't understand why so many people still hate it by default.

I don't have an issue with MTGO, I just found it amusing that he's finally come back to it after being so adamant about not using it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Now imagine if trading wasn't a pita, or you could run your own cube...

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Speaking of overpowered creatures and spells I feel like it may finally be Monastery Mentor's time to truly shine. 1 mana cantrips and dehydrations don't look super exciting but MoMe combined with them will probably kick the poo poo out of your average standard deck.

And all the one mana cantrips are Jeskai colors.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Putting in these good reprints into standard sets and then saying "oops too good" and taking them out but then never reprinting them elsewhere is becoming a problem.

Remember when they were super committed to Modern reprints and then it turned out that meant "we'll print thoughtseize once and then 10 dollar packs of mostly poo poo and expensive stuff at mythic"

It doens't help that they've got Maro out there spewing horseshit like:

quote:

mrbriancomputer asked: Will we see more reprints in sets than we did in BFZ?

It’s an issue we’re playing around with. Players responses to the reprints that were in Battle for Zendikar are very mixed.

That's because the reprints in Battle for Zendikar were Felidar Sovereign and Dragonmaster Outcast you dumb gently caress. I really hope they aren't actually expecting credit for reprinting Sylvan Scrying because that's an all of 5 dollar card used in one deck

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 8, 2016

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

same idea with seeding packs with super-mythic-rare modern lands. thats how packs move.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

And all the one mana cantrips are Jeskai colors.

The return of Jeskai Tokens. The horror.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Modern masters is already a limited run product. There is no reason it should be filled with so much poo poo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

Modern masters is already a limited run product. There is no reason it should be filled with so much poo poo.

There are plenty of reasons, in fact there's probably a piece of paper with "reasons Modern Masters 2015 packs are MSRP $9.99 and full of crap" and there are a lot of zeros on that sheet of paper.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How bad would it have been for Modern if they printed a new Inquisition of Kozilek that was exactly the same except for being Devoid and a new name? Would many decks run 5-8 of that? I could see 5 maybe but as it stands I prefer to mix in Thoughtseize anyway.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

How bad would it have been for Modern if they printed a new Inquisition of Kozilek that was exactly the same except for being Devoid and a new name? Would many decks run 5-8 of that? I could see 5 maybe but as it stands I prefer to mix in Thoughtseize anyway.

Probably only 8-Rack would care. Make it a common while you're at it, Pauper would love Inquisition.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think jund would side into 8 inquisitions against burn.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

The return of Jeskai Tokens. The horror.

If I can't have Jeskai Ascendancy Combo, then Jeskai Tokens will do. Fully ready to attempt to draw half of my deck into a win.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Okay that ending to LSV's last cube was very good. Thanks for the heads up.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're the loving worst and may the outliers trample and drain you for 3 until the end of your days

"Imagine a pachyderm, stamping on a human face forever"
- en-Kor expression meaning "get used to it"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I feel like the 0/6 wall that comes with Awaken 3 for 3 mana is pretty loving good. Maybe its just a limited card, but it seems like a house.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's about drat time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like the 0/6 wall that comes with Awaken 3 for 3 mana is pretty loving good. Maybe its just a limited card, but it seems like a house.

It's a lot of butt for the mana cost: being able to block one of the passel of Big Creatures and trade with a den protector or shambling vent is a good rate. It might see some sideboards in standard

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'll tell you what, at a minimum my Assault Formation deck is pretty high on that guy right now

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Mind sharing your fish list? I'm trying to build it up and would be interested in some of the card choices / side board.

as of now

4 x cursecatcher
4 x silvergill adept
4 x harbinger of tides
4 x lord of atlantis
4 x master of the pearl trident
3 x merrow reejerey
4 x master of waves
1 x kira, great glass spinner

4 x spreading seas
4 x aether vial
3 x spell pierce
2 x dismember

1 x cavern of souls
4 x wanderwine hub
1 x minamo, school at water's edge
1 x oboro, palce in the clouds
4 x mutavault
8 x island

sideboard-
2 x negate
2 x dispel
2 x dismember
4 x ghost quarter (after mcmagics comment I talked with a few people and agreed with him :shrug:)
2 x tidebinder mage
2 x relic of progenitus
1 x unified will

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Saffron Olive's budget goblins, posted 3 days ago as a 5 ticket mtgo deck, is now 17 tickets online. We need some sort of market regulation/oversight/fascism

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is "nobody plays Standard anymore" just a thread consensus or is there data

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

No one ever played standard at my LGS. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Wotc has all the DCI sanctioning numbers to extrapolate from but there's no way they'd say anything about it except vague generalities at the hasbro quarterly investor meeting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

There's usually a good 30+ people playing Standard at my LGS.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think it is safe to say a lot of people who would play standard have been pushed into other formats. However, this is far from the death knell of standard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like my lgs isn't hosting a two headed event for pre-release.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Lots of anecdotes about less people at stores, none about more.

~anecdotes~

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The largest fnm is n/a is right at the cusp having a larger modern crowd. Hell, it might happen tonight.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nehru the Damaja posted:

After Game Day, Standard has at max 6 people every week. Sometimes they don't get to 4 so you can't start it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

After Game Day, Standard has at max 6 people every week. Sometimes they don't get to 4 so you can't start it.

I thought you can't fire events without 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

That's especially egregious coming from someone who plays Hearthstone professionally.

• Locked thread