Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reason posted:

I just recently found out there were boardgames besides the classic monopoly, scrabble and such. First game was Coup and I've since bought Pandemic and Galaxy Trucker, both are pretty fun.

Galaxy Trucker is good poo poo, good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I was very excited about Posthuman at first but lost that giddiness after being turned off by a few things one after the other including a review of the rules and decided to see how it played out after release. So far so..... so-so sounding I guess?

Play for supper might work :chef:

Win as human = beer and gourmet burger for you
Win as mutants = the mutants share a pizza

Or play for money. Win as mutant: share pot with other mutants. Win as human? Take it all :smaug:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Reason posted:

I just recently found out there were boardgames besides the classic monopoly, scrabble and such. First game was Coup and I've since bought Pandemic and Galaxy Trucker, both are pretty fun.

The first post of this thread has a bunch of great info on what you've been missing out on!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The End posted:

The first post of this thread has a bunch of great info on what you've been missing out on!

poo poo that reminds me, not sure if I've ever seen the OP myself

quote:

NEVER BUY STUFF FROM WIZKIDS

loving :lol:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wizkids are so awful in terms of components/balancing, it's unreal. Even goon favourite Mage Knight has lovely components.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Like if you want to read 'Everything wrong with Wizkids: The Thread', find the Star Trek: Attack Wing thread in this forum.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
We should add Codenames and maybe Pandemic Legacy to the OP.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Reason posted:

Welcome to the hobby! Your first choices are really good, so watch out with future purchases as they run a real risk of being a step backwards.

Except Pandemic. Return that to the store and get Pandemic: Legacy instead. Do it now.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Broken Loose posted:

Except Pandemic. Return that to the store and get Pandemic: Legacy instead. Do it now.

Alternatively, get the first two expansions and have a very distinct game to P:L, including a half-decent one vs many hidden movement module (Bio-terrorist)

The End fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 8, 2016

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
My boardgaming history is Catan and Carcassonne in the late 90's, early 2000's. Then I got hooked into MTG around Lorwynn, which meant I started hanging out with gamer types and the FLGS owner who has a collection of over 1k games. They showed me Eclipse, Loyang, BSG, 7 Wonders. I got Small World Underground for my birthday, bought 7 Wonders, Dixit, etc. Stumbled into this thread (well, previous incarnation). Bought Space Alert because it was all the rage at the time (still unplayed :argh:), Mage Knight, Galaxy Truckers, etc. Last year was my first visit to Spiel Essen, spent way too much money. This year was my second visit, spent even more money. It's a slippery slope... Collection is starting to look decent though!

Which brings us to the storage issue. My gaming cupboard is full. I bought 3 sheets of foamcore earlier this week, currently in the process of consolidating 7 Wonders and all expansions into the base game box. It's a bit of a :psypop: puzzle but I think I have it figured out. Next up: Mage Knight! Anyone think there's more expansions for that on the way? :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tekopo posted:

Wizkids are so awful in terms of components/balancing, it's unreal. Even goon favourite Mage Knight has lovely components.

Oh I know. I played the original lovely miniatures Mage Knight for years back when I was young, mostly because I wanted to play 40k but no way in hell could I afford it.

Looks like that's just been folded into heroclix now? Or got cancelled completely. Hah. Never seemed very balanced to me, although they had a hack and slash variant with little treasure chests and dungeon maps which was kinda fun for a brief while, but then it disappeared.

Its cool the mage knight board game is better (but that was Vlaada) but otherwise I can't think of any wizkids products that are enjoyable.

E: Wait, wizkids did temple of elemental evil? That's weird, why not WOTC? Didn't WOTC do ashardalon and ravenloft?

Does hasbro own them both?! ... no, wizkids is Neca. Weird.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Countblanc posted:

We should add Codenames and maybe Pandemic Legacy to the OP.
Done and done!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got a big IKEA Kallax shelf for my birthday and holy poo poo did moving games to that open up the room :stare:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tekopo posted:

Like if you want to read 'Everything wrong with Wizkids: The Thread', find the Star Trek: Attack Wing thread in this forum.

I would have bought a handful of ships from Attack Wing just to have them if they didn't look so lovely. It's really impressive. Mage Knight (the minis game) had better pieces in the late 90s.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

The End posted:

Alternatively, get the two expansions and have a very distinct game to P:L, including a half-decent one vs many hidden movement module (Bio-terrorist)

There are three expansions, actually. On the Brink is the first, and absolutely necessary to give the game any shelf life. In the Lab is interesting enough to revitalize the game a bit, once it gets stale. Still haven't picked up State of Emergency.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Tekopo posted:

There have been 0 spoilers or substantial images for their Trek Mage Knight game and people have preordered without even looking at it. Wizkids must know that market segment is full of suckers and will buy anything.

I probably won't get it since I have so much Mage Knight left in me and don't want some half baked WizKids product taking attention away from that.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Gutter Owl posted:

There are three expansions, actually. On the Brink is the first, and absolutely necessary to give the game any shelf life. In the Lab is interesting enough to revitalize the game a bit, once it gets stale. Still haven't picked up State of Emergency.

True. Fixed.

By most accounts, State of Emergency is not up to the standard of the others.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So is Shades of Tezla safe to buy now?

Also, the new COIN game seems to be coming out soon. Would love to hear impressions of it, since the American Revolution is a fun period.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

GrandpaPants posted:

So is Shades of Tezla safe to buy now?

Also, the new COIN game seems to be coming out soon. Would love to hear impressions of it, since the American Revolution is a fun period.

Look at the combat exceptions starting on page 15. http://www.gmtgames.com/libertyordeath/LODrulesmanualFinal_lo-res.pdf

See COIN games haven't had anything like this til now, and I don't think they should.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

babies can't handle a real wargame

(I'm more concerned about what the gently caress the French player is supposed to do. Maybe we should get a goon PbP once there's a vassal module to see how it works out)

minema
May 31, 2011
One of the first proper boardgames I played was Scotland Yard, when I was about 13 we found it in a French junk shop, translated the rules, and played it every family holiday forever after. Now we play Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride. :D

At university I got properly into boardgames when we played Risk every day for several months before we dived in at the deep end and bought Game of Thrones! It worked though, we have a solid group of 4-7 of us and we play loads of boardgames most weekends.

I just bought Tragedy Looper and am planning on being the Mastermind this weekend, any tips for a group of 4 people who haven't played it before?

Oh also someone who knows I like boardgames but knows nothing about them got me Codenames for Christmas!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theroachman posted:

Last year was my first visit to Spiel Essen, spent way too much money. This year was my second visit, spent even more money.

I take it you mean your first visit was 2014 and your second was 2015? We're in a new year.

And also, where the gently caress were you when we were trying to arrange a Goonmeet at Spiel?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Oldstench posted:

Look at the combat exceptions starting on page 15. http://www.gmtgames.com/libertyordeath/LODrulesmanualFinal_lo-res.pdf

See COIN games haven't had anything like this til now, and I don't think they should.

I really don't get what the fuss is about. You roll a d3 for every three cubes in the fight, max three dice. Active irregulars count as half a cube. Forts only fight on defense.

The mods are pretty simple when you break them down. There's basically only five. They're just overexplained. Here:

• Do you have an organized army (cubes >= irregulars)? +1 hit.
  • Do you have an underground piece? +1 hit.
  • Do you have a leader? +1 hit. Washington and Lauzan have special bonuses.
  • How many forts on defense? +1 hit/+1 dodge each.
  • Do you have naval support (Rebellion) or reserve support (Indians)? +1 dodge.

Regulars and Forts take two hits to kill. Tories, Irregulars, and Villages take one hit to kill.

That's it. That's all the math. It's just written long-form.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The End posted:

Alternatively, get the first two expansions and have a very distinct game to P:L, including a half-decent one vs many hidden movement module (Bio-terrorist)

Then best use of the Bio Terrorist game is to give the surly teenager at family game night something to sink their teeth into :haw:

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Jedit posted:

I take it you mean your first visit was 2014 and your second was 2015? We're in a new year.
Right, happy newyear!

Jedit posted:

And also, where the gently caress were you when we were trying to arrange a Goonmeet at Spiel?

Oops, totally missed that. Was that in this thread? I have to admit, I let the thread slip a little (1200 posts?) during the summer so I skipped quite some pages, most likely the whole of September/October. It's a shame, pre- and post-Spiel discussion is probably a goldmine.

Did you have a Goonmeet? I'll certainly try to join next year this year, beer and bratwurst and games with goons sounds like a good combo.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I have bought my very first non-monopoly board game with my own money!

Ghostbusters

Played the first 2 chapters of "The Slimer Situation" with my 2 gaming pals tonight hand had a real good time (we normally play MTG but it's getting a bit stale now).

I'd played a bit of Zombicide in the FLGS so I kinda knew I like that kind of game and it seemed like a good mix here is my mini review..

Loved the theme and the quality of the parts, it's easy to set up and the rules are pretty simple, there's enough tactics to keep it entertaining but not so much you can screw yourself in one turn. As there was only 3 of us playing we decided to keep the 4th character permanently in ECTO-1 and at the start of the round move it about, seemed to work well as a house rule. My dice rolls were hilariously poo poo however and I ended up being relegated to "slime medic" and as a consequence everyone out leveled me.

There are some bad points however.

The ghosts are not a threat in any way, they don't do anything at all unless you try to attack them. You start with 15 ghosts in the spirit world and the only "lose" condition is if something would spawn a ghost and there are none in the spirit world it's game over. This leads to the best tactic being race through, ignore the ghosts and do the objective within 15 turns which seems to be very easy to do.

It also seems really odd that you can complete an objective with ghosts still on the map, I can't imagine a scenario where the Ghostbusters close all the gates and just go home leaving 10+ entities roaming the city.

I'm tempted to work on some house rules where the ghosts all move 1 space towards the nearest Ghostbuster at the end of every turn, it just makes sense and would add some tension to the game that it seems to be lacking. I'm also trying to figure out a way where leaving ghosts on the map make the next chapter harder but I'm drawing a blank, simply because once the objective is done there's no way to fail so it'd be a boring grind to clean up after the portals have been closed.

All in all though it was very much fun and I think with a few tweaks and house rules it could be a lot better.

Also I really loved space crusade when I was a kid, is there anything similar like it out these days, I have heard of the X-COM board game, does that stand up?

Edit: Just had a look, X-COM is nothing like space crusade so forget that.

AceClown fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 9, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

theroachman posted:

Oops, totally missed that. Was that in this thread? I have to admit, I let the thread slip a little (1200 posts?) during the summer so I skipped quite some pages, most likely the whole of September/October. It's a shame, pre- and post-Spiel discussion is probably a goldmine.

Did you have a Goonmeet? I'll certainly try to join next year this year, beer and bratwurst and games with goons sounds like a good combo.

It started in this thread, then got its own thread in the meets subforum. I did meet Zark, and would have met another goon if he hadn't confused the Atrium with the Galleria.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

minema posted:

I just bought Tragedy Looper and am planning on being the Mastermind this weekend, any tips for a group of 4 people who haven't played it before?

Read the mastermind manual for tips specific for the scenario.

Let them table talk. No table talk on the first go is just cruel.

Emphasize token to mechanics relationships:
Paranoia -> Incidents
Goodwill -> PC powers
Intrigue -> Plots & Roles, mostly (more general purpose)

Emphasize incidents are NOT DIRECTLY RELATED to winning or losing. They're just more special powers a mastermind gets to do, only players know about it in advance. This is like the strangest automatic connection players make. Someone will still think there's a connection after the first loop and be horribly confused.

Point out the ways to lose. First Steps has like...7? 8? spread all over the helper sheet. Do a real quick to run through them at the start. If you're feeling generous, run through all of them again after the first loop; just remember to keep a straight face.

Otherwise, no mercy.

edit: remembered a couple more:

Unless the loss condition says "loop ends immediately", the loss is only revealed when it says so, even if it's something traumatic like a murder.

Things masterminds say: "something strange happened", "an incident occurred", "an incident didn't occur", "an incident was going to occur but didn't", "someone died", "you died", "you lose, entering time spiral", and "you're nothing but pawns in my greatest game bow before me in my puppetmaster magnificance do you want a star citizen reference code?"
There was some debate about that list. search this thread for the concensus

PlaneGuy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 9, 2016

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
What are people's experiences with Codenames with different groups sizes? I hear some playing with 10 and that seems excessive. What group size is too little and what's too much?

theroachman posted:

I bought 3 sheets of foamcore earlier this week, currently in the process of consolidating 7 Wonders and all expansions into the base game box.

Does BGG/etc have tutorials on how to build foamcore inserts, or is it intuitive?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Siroc posted:

Does BGG/etc have tutorials on how to build foamcore inserts, or is it intuitive?

There's a huge Geeklist where people show off their designs for various games, and will often give you the design if asked. There's a bunch of thread in DIY on how to perform the actual assembly, but the best source of info is the Esoteric Order of Gamers' three part YouTube series.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

AceClown posted:

I have bought my very first non-monopoly board game with my own money!

Ghostbusters

Loved the theme and the quality of the parts,

The ghosts are not a threat in any way, they don't do anything at all unless you try to attack them. You start with 15 ghosts in the spirit world and the only "lose" condition is if something would spawn a ghost and there are none in the spirit world it's game over. This leads to the best tactic being race through, ignore the ghosts and do the objective within 15 turns which seems to be very easy to do.

It also seems really odd that you can complete an objective with ghosts still on the map, I can't imagine a scenario where the Ghostbusters close all the gates and just go home leaving 10+ entities roaming the city.

I'm tempted to work on some house rules where the ghosts all move 1 space towards the nearest Ghostbuster at the end of every turn, it just makes sense and would add some tension to the game that it seems to be lacking. I'm also trying to figure out a way where leaving ghosts on the map make the next chapter harder but I'm drawing a blank, simply because once the objective is done there's no way to fail so it'd be a boring grind to clean up after the portals have been closed.

I think with a few tweaks and house rules it could be a lot better.

This isn't meant to be making GBS threads on you, but when you read your review you basically say you like the theme and mini quality but you don't like a whole bunch of stuff and you think it needs house rules. That's kind of a sign of a bad game. If you removed the minis and theme, would you still want to play it?
The good news is there are SO MANY good games out there you'll be spoiled for better stuff when you want to make another purchase.

quote:

Also I really loved space crusade when I was a kid, is there anything similar like it out these days

So, Star Wars: Imperial Assualt might be what you want. It's a scenario driven "dungeoncrawler", the minis are nice, and by all accounts it's a really solid ruleset. However, it's adversarial, in that one person has to play Empire against the other players. Depending on how you feel about that it might be a dealbreaker.

I don't think there are really any other Sci-Fi dungeon crawlers out there right now that I'd recommend. If you don't moving doing the fantasy genre there are probably 3 or 4 that would be good choices depending on what exactly you want.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

There's a huge Geeklist where people show off their designs for various games, and will often give you the design if asked. There's a bunch of thread in DIY on how to perform the actual assembly, but the best source of info is the Esoteric Order of Gamers' three part YouTube series.

My wife got a Cricut for xmas and I'm going to see if I can make chipboard inserts with it.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Oh good, the next TIME Stories expansion is called 'A Prophecy of Dragons', set in the middle-ages with magic.

"This is a game about historical time travelling where the only limit is the imagination!"
*asylum setting*
*zombie setting*
*Game of Thrones setting*

and the fourth is 'Under the Mask' which is almost definitely going to be a superhero/Watchmen ripoff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bobvonunheil posted:

Oh good, the next TIME Stories expansion is called 'A Prophecy of Dragons', set in the middle-ages with magic.

"This is a game about historical time travelling where the only limit is the imagination!"
*asylum setting*
*zombie setting*

and the fourth is 'Under the Mask' which is almost definitely going to be a superhero/Watchmen ripoff.
I have never heard anything about TIME Stories that makes me think it's anything but the laziest loving cash-in on every hot boardgaming trend they could get their hands on.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It has a nice box though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, one of my relatives hinted that I was getting a game about time but they got me Timeline, phew (I think)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Timeline is totally fine with some small caveats, but I prefer Chronology when it comes to trivia games.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Holy crap, guys; Cardhaus finally got rid of the creepy anime girl on the top border of their website. After over a year of putting, "please get rid of the creepy anime girl" in the comments section of every post-purchase survey they gave me, I finally feel like my voice mattered.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bobvonunheil posted:

*asylum setting*
*zombie setting*

:lol: garbage game. Definitely the most overhyped trash of 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

*asylum setting*
*zombie setting*

Guess their imagination is pretty limited.