Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Think of the people running our energy industries right now and now think about them running nuclear.

"God it's so hard to deal with all this peak load, we have to charge a huge tariff on energy usage while it's happening"

*raises rods 0.2 cm*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Frogfingers posted:

we're on the cusp of fusion.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
They can't even sustain a fusion reaction for more than a couple of seconds, the point where it becomes a commercially feasible thing and not just a science experiment would have to be decades away. By which stage 1kWh solar panels will probably cost about $10 each.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

I was in the audience for Doctor Karl's Challenge of Change/Intergenerational Report ad (they paid me in Coles vouchers) and during the between-take banter, audience Q&As, interesting factoids and plugs for his books I challenged his claim about the dangers of GMOs; he said he'd look into it.

That whole experience was weird - it was shot by Peter Weir's Oscar-winning cinematographer in a studio the size of an airplane hanger.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
For those who haven't been in this thread for several years:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow, looks like our economy is hosed if Andrew Charlton's views on China's economy and its flow on effects are correct.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You Am I posted:

Wow, looks like our economy is hosed if Andrew Charlton's views on China's economy and its flow on effects are correct.

China's various indices and measures of economic performance seem a little untrustworthy too, so who the gently caress knows what is really going on over there. If they end up devaluing their currency it would really gently caress us over; our imports there would cost more and their tourists would pay more to come here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

For a lucky country, all it takes is one collapse of Asian markets to gently caress us over.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And we don't have the money to float us over a collapse this time. Thanks Abbott & co.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

And we don't have the money to float us over a collapse this time. Thanks Abbott & co.

I dont know if you understand this, but the government can literally create money. They issue bonds with a set maturity date, and people buy them. People love to buy them because they are a very low risk investment with very precise details. You know exactly what you are going to get and when. Also, Australia has a higher interest rate than most other major economies (Thanks Wayne Swan) so overseas buyers love them, because they can park their money here and get ~2%, or they can park their money in america and get 3/5s of gently caress all.

The only thing that matters is the interest rate they need to attach to the bonds, but thanks to the GFC, interest rates are at an all time low, so there has literally never been a better time for the government to do this.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

You Am I posted:

Where can I read this? TIA

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

For everyone laughing about Fusion, we've got quite a few things running off fusion right now. There's been a fusion gnerator up for quite a while actually. Usually about 12 hours a day, varies by season.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

I dont know if you understand this, but the government can literally create money. They issue bonds with a set maturity date, and people buy them. People love to buy them because they are a very low risk investment with very precise details. You know exactly what you are going to get and when. Also, Australia has a higher interest rate than most other major economies (Thanks Wayne Swan) so overseas buyers love them, because they can park their money here and get ~2%, or they can park their money in america and get 3/5s of gently caress all.

The only thing that matters is the interest rate they need to attach to the bonds, but thanks to the GFC, interest rates are at an all time low, so there has literally never been a better time for the government to do this.

I'm not sure our current government would do that though, too many surplus fetishists in the ranks and the ALP would shout at them despite it being a sensible thing to do.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

I dont know if you understand this, but the government can literally create money.

I know about bonds, I just doubt that this bunch of screeches is going to go that way when it's much more tempting to make a Darwinian contest out of it. When we had a bunch of money these are the guys who didn't invest it and instead turned off the revenue tap. I also don't believe that bonds are a magic pudding. It's a great way to park money, though. You're betting that enough people want to do this so we can avoid a China meltdown, I don't buy that.

What I think will happen is that the banks will scream blue murder, the government will throw money at them and excuses at us and chop large swathes out of their budget instead.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 8, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm not sure our current government would do that though, too many surplus fetishists in the ranks and the ALP would shout at them despite it being a sensible thing to do.

Well, of course not, but thats a completely separate issue to not having money.

ewe2 posted:

I know about bonds, I just doubt that this bunch of screeches is going to go that way when it's much more tempting to make a Darwinian contest out of it.

Again, of course they wont.

quote:

. I also don't believe that bonds are a magic pudding. It's a great way to park money, though. You're betting that enough people want to do this so we can avoid a China meltdown, I don't buy that.

I think you are truly underestimating the amount of money that is floating around looking for a good low risk investment. Its not just Australian money, Its global money. Besides, we wouldnt need massive amounts to get us out of the poo poo. The government could pay for us to go completely renewable in 20 years. That would be a massive construction and engineering exercise that would employ an absolute shitload of people, all up and down the qualified spectrum, and would end up paying for itself in both an economical and an environmental sense. It wont happen though, because the current mob believe that governments cant create jobs and that the private sector can do it, despite all evidence to the contrary.

quote:

What I think will happen is that the banks will scream blue murder, the government will throw money at them and excuses at us and chop large swathes out of their budget instead.
This is what is likely to happen if neoliberals are in charge.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The 'problems' with an Asian slow down are entirely ideological. There is no way that the structural changes increasing wealth in, not just china, but India, Vietnam and even South Korea are going to completely stall their economies. Demand for our exports may diminish further but weren't we in the middle of a structural change to a service based economy?

What will happen if the neocons are allowed to run with it is a bunch of emergency budgetary belt tightening while they bail out Forrest and a bunch of their buffoon bozo mates who got themselves fully hosed up during the iron ore boom. All the while bemoaning the parlous state of the mining industry (a small minority of our economy) and our lack of increasing beef exports (ditto) due to ASIAN CRISIS :supaburn:

There has never been a better time for a government to BORROW MONEY AT ZERO % INTEREST to invest in (really who the gently caress even cares?) stuff. The most dire of really bad governments (who actually invest in their country) can't screw the pooch on everything to the point that there isn't a positive pay off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynesian_economics

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

I think you are truly underestimating the amount of money that is floating around looking for a good low risk investment. Its not just Australian money, Its global money. Besides, we wouldnt need massive amounts to get us out of the poo poo.

I'm not underestimating it, I just don't think it will be spent in a useful way, which makes it a useless mechanism. The money will go, as Cartoon suggests, to mates in the mining and financial industries for the promise of a board seat and a consulting retainer, it's never going to be used for the good of the country.

quote:

This is what is likely to happen if neoliberals are in charge.

What do you mean "if"? Where have you been, under a rock, they're running it now. Their little mates in the IPA and funnier places like catallaxy have been screaming anti-Keynesian economics for years. Turnbull managed to put a halfway sane public servant in the Treasury again but that's no comfort to the public sector.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

I'm not underestimating it, I just don't think it will be spent in a useful way, which makes it a useless mechanism. The money will go, as Cartoon suggests, to mates in the mining and financial industries for the promise of a board seat and a consulting retainer, it's never going to be used for the good of the country.

What do you mean "if"? Where have you been, under a rock, they're running it now. Their little mates in the IPA and funnier places like catallaxy have been screaming anti-Keynesian economics for years. Turnbull managed to put a halfway sane public servant in the Treasury again but that's no comfort to the public sector.

Understand that Im taking a hypothetically possible stance, not a likely outcome stance.

Its hypothetically possible that the greens win in a landslide and public opinion turns round and these good outcomes can happen. Its not likely though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Even if it does go to something useful, they'll insist it be paid for by cuts to things like Medicare.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Understand that Im taking a hypothetically possible stance, not a likely outcome stance.

Its hypothetically possible that the greens win in a landslide and public opinion turns round and these good outcomes can happen. Its not likely though.

True enough :D It's just so depressing even looking at the macroeconomics because political idiots and their big business enablers have been flattening everything with their size 12s for decades.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Periphery posted:

Where can I read this? TIA

It was on 730 tonight:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4385630.htm

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Count Chocula posted:

I was in the audience for Doctor Karl's Challenge of Change/Intergenerational Report ad (they paid me in Coles vouchers) and during the between-take banter, audience Q&As, interesting factoids and plugs for his books I challenged his claim about the dangers of GMOs; he said he'd look into it.

That whole experience was weird - it was shot by Peter Weir's Oscar-winning cinematographer in a studio the size of an airplane hanger.

Well, maybe you were just like a Coles employee for a brief time?

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
As far as I can tell Dr Karl is less scientifically rigorous than Bill Nye and it's down to being too lazy to care about whether he's actually informing people or not. This wouldn't be the first time I'd seen Dr Karl spout some bullshit position then say he'd look into it, maybe you should look into it first, dickface?

Magog fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 8, 2016

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Anidav posted:

For a lucky country, all it takes is one collapse of Asian markets to gently caress us over.

I call it 'putting our eggs into one basket'.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If kept on, and never replaced in 2010. Could rudd have successfully diversified the economy?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anidav posted:

If kept on, and never replaced in 2010. Could rudd have successfully diversified the economy?

By doing things like building infrastructure of the future like ubiquitous fast broadband?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People didn't want a diversified economy. It's all a bit new and a bit scary.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Eh just locking in all the ambitious Labor poo poo that disappeared when Bill was elected.

NBN
High Speed Rail
Probably some Solar and renewables policy thrown in.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Anidav posted:

#imagen

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Intercity high speed rail was a dumb idea anyway. For that kind of money they could build proper metros in cities and improve/extend the suburban lines.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But my dreams of taking a train to Melbourne

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Unless it went like 800km/h you'd fly anyway.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Aren't there super fast magnet trains

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Not anywhere near that fast, from memory they top out at around 400km/hr

So yeah the train record is 600km/hr, you aren't going to get Australians to stump up the cash to top that. Might get promised that, then delivered a wooden steam train instead
http://m.euronews.com/en/304542/

norp fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 9, 2016

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

norp posted:

Not anywhere near that fast, from memory they top out at around 400km/hr

I'd take it. Not from a stupid city like Brisbane but I'd take 400km/h from Sydney to Melbourne and back. gently caress flying, flying is the worst.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I'd take it. Not from a stupid city like Brisbane but I'd take 400km/h from Sydney to Melbourne and back. gently caress flying, flying is the worst.

Would you take it over better local trains?

400km/h is at the high end of current technology, and you can guarantee they'd go for a much slower and slightly cheaper option.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Magog posted:

As far as I can tell Dr Karl is less scientifically rigorous than Bill Nye and it's down to being too lazy to care about whether he's actually informing people or not. This wouldn't be the first time I'd seen Dr Karl spout some bullshit position then say he'd look into it, maybe you should look into it first, dickface?

Let's murder him haha

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Anidav posted:

Eh just locking in all the ambitious Labor poo poo that disappeared when Bill was elected.

NBN
High Speed Rail
Probably some Solar and renewables policy thrown in.

You know what's a bit scary. I legitimately had no idea who you were talking about for a good 20 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

Would you take it over better local trains?

400km/h is at the high end of current technology, and you can guarantee they'd go for a much slower and slightly cheaper option.

gently caress yes I never catch local trains. Those are for plebs.

e: enlightened self-interest, the Auspol way

• Locked thread