Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Second werebeast in the fort. A lizard this time. It ran directly into a wandering marksdwarf on his way to the tavern and then proceded to maul him unconscious and fruitlessly chew on his helmeted head while the civilians all filed to safety and my military got into position. Secondary shoutouts to a visiting bandit who got into the fray and punched out all the werelizard's teeth, leaving it without a bite attack.

One of the casualties from the first attack was a visiting baroness consort bard who got infected and then killed after turning. Dead guests or impressive kills get a slab in the tavern, and hers just says she "went missing." The dwarves must be establishing an alibi in case the baron comes looking for his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I've had the "dwarves climb trees to die of thirst" bug annihilating me my last few attempts. Is there any way around this?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

NightVis posted:

I've had the "dwarves climb trees to die of thirst" bug annihilating me my last few attempts. Is there any way around this?
Cut down the trees? Designate an all consuming burrow that has all the underground as part of it, but excludes the surface so dwarves do not encounter trees? Not sure, but maybe burrow designation on the surface would prevent them from climbing the tree in the first place?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you're setting up plant gathering zones, tell them NOT to gather fruit from the trees. Dwarves are just as happy eating nasty groundfall fruit as they are freshly picked, so it's worth waiting and not having your idiots be dumb with stepladders.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fire.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want the cave layers to have multistory mushroom tree's. In fact it would be great if the caves were just bigger, by default they are completely randomized but I love huge open caves with multiple layers. Maybe Toady could tweak the cave gen to reflect that.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you're comfortable with advanced worldgen, try cranking up the minimum cave openness and turning the passage density way down. It should make big, open caves, as opposed to twisty little passages everywhere. Here's some examples.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

RedTonic posted:

I was getting petition spam before I added dfhack, now I'm getting nothing and it's been about two years. No mass casualty events either, so I'm not sure what gives

I've had this on several occasions, and it seemed to be related to the number of beds in my fort. As soon as I built a new bedroom wing, petitions started rolling in again. Thing is, I already had more beds than strictly necessary, so I'm not sure it wasn't just coincidence.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Demiurge4 posted:

I want the cave layers to have multistory mushroom tree's.

They're supposed to be. It's just that the caps are bugged so that they prevent the stem from growing any longer than 1 tile.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Pickled Tink posted:

Cut down the trees? Designate an all consuming burrow that has all the underground as part of it, but excludes the surface so dwarves do not encounter trees? Not sure, but maybe burrow designation on the surface would prevent them from climbing the tree in the first place?

Cutting down the trees just killed the dwarves hanging out in them :haw:

I went with a savanna embark the next time around since I didn't know about it being tied to fruit picking, but oddly enough the dead dwarves were at least partly full-time military who weren't set to gather fruit or do anything but train

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

NightVis posted:

Cutting down the trees just killed the dwarves hanging out in them :haw:

I went with a savanna embark the next time around since I didn't know about it being tied to fruit picking, but oddly enough the dead dwarves were at least partly full-time military who weren't set to gather fruit or do anything but train

Finally figured it out. This whole time I have never lost a single Dwarf to woodcutting.

Turns out; I only chop down trees in places I am not harvesting fruit from... For obvious reasons involving eating fruit in the non-siege years. Seems pretty easy to me.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ugh, ghost of my dead dad? So Blasé.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Do dwarves just love their entire family by default? C'mon, Toady, where's the domestic disputes?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sultan Tarquin posted:

waaaake me uuuup insiiiiide

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

"She felt euphoric due to inebriation"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I haven't been able to find this, but is there a way to place furniture of a specific quality? I just had a mason create a masterwork coffer and I wanted to put it in his bedroom because I am benevolent and want to encourage more masterworks. I can't figure out a way nor can I find a way on the internets.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I haven't been able to find this, but is there a way to place furniture of a specific quality? I just had a mason create a masterwork coffer and I wanted to put it in his bedroom because I am benevolent and want to encourage more masterworks. I can't figure out a way nor can I find a way on the internets.

Since haulers automatically pick the nearest item to the destination, you could create a stockpile directly next to where you want the coffer that only accepts masterwork coffers, forbid masterwork quality from your other furniture stockpiles, and it'll end up there. Then when you ask someone to bring a coffer, they'll pick that one.

You could also do something like forbid the rest of your coffers when you give the setup command, but it could be hard to find them all.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Mr. Powers posted:

When building things you can hit 'x' to view the list of individual items and pick your masterwork ones from there.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

PublicOpinion posted:

When building things you can hit 'x' to view the list of individual items and pick your masterwork ones from there.

You rock my world.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Since haulers automatically pick the nearest item to the destination, you could create a stockpile directly next to where you want the coffer that only accepts masterwork coffers, forbid masterwork quality from your other furniture stockpiles, and it'll end up there. Then when you ask someone to bring a coffer, they'll pick that one.

You could also do something like forbid the rest of your coffers when you give the setup command, but it could be hard to find them all.

See above. I just did that and it worked.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

:stare:

:smith:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I've become quite accustomed to DF now after playing it a lot the last few weeks.

What is the standard embark size that you guys try out after awhile?

Also, whats the highest pop cap you've gone? I limit mine now to 80 and haven't had any major issues.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
On older versions I could get to about 130 plus children before framerates started to bother me, but I haven't played seriously since 2013

Fake edit: on a 2x2 embark

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Is there a way to scroll through the "acceptable" site it finds when you're searching for a new place to embark? I can't work it out.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

So a few of my dwarves got caught by some dust while fighting a forgotten beast. It was the kind that melts everything it touches and produces clouds of miasma. But they fought it right next to the hospital so they were able to be carried there and the dust covering was cleaned before it could fully kill them. Pretty much every single part of their body is yellow or red. They can't see and the description is "mangled beyond recognition." I expected them to never leave the hospital but they're up and training/doing tasks :stare: They're not even flashing to indicate they're wounded so it's just like a dwarf shaped mound of mangled flesh going about its usual business.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

So a few of my dwarves got caught by some dust while fighting a forgotten beast. It was the kind that melts everything it touches and produces clouds of miasma. But they fought it right next to the hospital so they were able to be carried there and the dust covering was cleaned before it could fully kill them. Pretty much every single part of their body is yellow or red. They can't see and the description is "mangled beyond recognition." I expected them to never leave the hospital but they're up and training/doing tasks :stare: They're not even flashing to indicate they're wounded so it's just like a dwarf shaped mound of mangled flesh going about its usual business.

Metal as gently caress :black101:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yellow/Red can just mean the equivalent of minor/major skin rash/burns. Some of the red could just be skin necrosis. You might just have permanently leper dwarves in your military. As long as its not their bones/muscles or major organs that are red they should be fully functional.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I noticed the red "mangled beyond recognition" and then speedy complete recovery in my last fort where it was raining horrifying mucus. I understand the red recovering but when it states mangled beyond recognition also I would have expected a lasting effect. It was nearly instant when they got out of the rain and there was no medical care, only despair.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 9, 2016

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

The wound tab in the health menu shows skin, fat & muscle affected for every body part. The internal organs are all okay apart from they're all blind so really there's nothing to worry about :black101:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Wow, I don't think Toady intended the bruising syndromes to actually mush the tissue into goo. Tissue damage on contact always sounded more like really nasty acid rain, but now they're turning into Clarence Boddickers by the truckload.

that owns

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

scamtank posted:

Wow, I don't think Toady intended the bruising syndromes to actually mush the tissue into goo. Tissue damage on contact always sounded more like really nasty acid rain, but now they're turning into Clarence Boddickers by the truckload.

that owns

That didn't happen to Clarence Boddicker, an artery was torn in his neck. :colbert:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, right, gently caress, I meant the guy who blew up the gas station. My bad.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Emil for gently caress sake

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

Oh, right, gently caress, I meant the guy who blew up the gas station. My bad.

Bannable offense.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Werewhale posted:

Is there a way to see the various instruments that have been generated in a world? The only way I know is making all the workshops and seeing what I can assemble, and even then the description is liable to cut off unless I spend time actually making the instrument, and even then I'm only seeing the instruments for dwarves of my civilization. Is there another way?

In case anyone else was wondering, I've found that if you set the init to not compress saves, then you can open world.dat in notepad(at least for smaller worlds, larger worlds may be too heavy.) and find the descriptions there. Ctrl-F instrument should get you to the right entry. You can also see demon types, forgotten beasts and titans(though you can find those more easily in Legends), bogeymen(you can see named night creatures in Legends), divine materials, the divine language, evil clouds, forgotten beast syndromes(though they're hard to interpret).

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

TOADY!!! WHAT YOU STATUS

Toady One posted:

It's going okay so far. There's a more specific reputation for defending settlements from outlaws, and new hearth orders for fighting off outlaws, clearing out bandit camps and fighting nearby beasts. Nothing interesting or dynamic or gray there, but at least you can be credited now for things we already had. Bandits behave a bit more sensibly when you fight them off -- they won't perpetually go back to the town over and over, either as a single army or as new groups from the camp. I'm going to do a bit more with this, and then I'll fix some more bugs before the next release.

OKAY!!!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I've run into a problem. It's probably burrows related. I had a werechameleon attack so, having forgotten to do this beforehand, I setup a "safe" burrow and an alert level that confines citizens to safe. I fought off the werechameleon (actually managed to trap him and now I keep him in a special cell next to the prison), and reverted the alert.

It seems that all the dwarfs cancelled the haul wood task which has now screwed up my production pipe. The primary wood stockpile is empty, so the secondary (for burning) can't pull anything into it. I tried chopping down more trees, but there's still piles of wood outside and no one hauling. There seems to be a trickle of logs coming in very slowly.

What should I check?

Edit: need to check wheelbarrows. Didn't realize that limited haulers.

carticket fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 11, 2016

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What's the best parameters to generate a world purely for short adventures? I'm teaching my friend to play the game by watching him over Skype and we're having a blast, but even with Small worlds there's a lot of empty trekking and stumbling around trying to find interesting stuff.

Is there a golden set of parameters to have a small world full of danger and things to fight? Is a pocket world too small for anything interesting? Would being a demigod at a 5 year history limit give us a power advantage?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

my sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

you go, girl! :3: