Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Long Fall of Phoebe Jonchuck - Despite spending a lifetime in the legal system, with many violent arrests, John Jonchuck wasn't considered a threat by police and DFC. Then he threw his daughter off a bridge.

I still haven't finished reading it, but have read few things as crushing as part two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Long Fall of Phoebe Jonchuck - Despite spending a lifetime in the legal system, with many violent arrests, John Jonchuck wasn't considered a threat by police and DFC. Then he threw his daughter off a bridge.

I still haven't finished reading it, but have read few things as crushing as part two.

This was abjectly depressing. Thanks... kinda.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I read this with my 2 year old daughter climbing around on me and making monkey noises, and now I'm weeping. She's sleeping with mom and dad tonight.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

quote:

When Phoebe’s MawMaw took her to see Santa in 2014, Phoebe drew him a picture and asked him what he wanted for Christmas.

:gbsmith:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

gently caress

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Holy poo poo that was even worse than Dear Zachary.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

How many of you live in Oregon? How many of you have heard of the cascadia fault line? How many know it's due for a major earthquake and tsunami? Like any day to 40 years from now soon? How would you like to be that Cassandra who keeps trying to make it safer but run against human nature to not do anything?

I used to live in the area of california this threatens and because ca gets tons of minor quakes but not in this area people are super nonchalant about it but there is evacuation procedures in place for the danger areas.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I totally get raising a kid with mental problems you're not possibly prepared to deal with can be extremely stressful, but the way his uncles talk about him is pretty heartbreaking too. "Born evil", drat.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

WickedHate posted:

I totally get raising a kid with mental problems you're not possibly prepared to deal with can be extremely stressful, but the way his uncles talk about him is pretty heartbreaking too. "Born evil", drat.

Yeah, I came away from it questioning whether or not his uncles damnation of him helped keep him going down the wrong path. "He ruined a brand new pair of loafers when I was smothering him with a blanket, what a demon child!":qq:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah, I wonder if their perception of him might not have been colored by his father's----and later, his own--homophobia.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Astrofig posted:

Yeah, I wonder if their perception of him might not have been colored by his father's----and later, his own--homophobia.

That absolutely could be the case.

But, keep in mind that John may also have been gay, so his own confusion about his sexuality may also have been a result of his rejection by the two gay role models in his life as well as his father's terrible example (for all we know his father has the same proclivities).:smith: John is just as much a child failed by the system as Phoebe was. He's a piece of poo poo now, but he might not have been if his uncles had fought just a little harder for him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
All of this is just more reasons for parental procreation permits.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

wootsie posted:

Totally agree. Can't stand some of the sensationalist bullshit, but I loved his satanic panic stuff. It's hit or miss, but pretty decent when he stays focused.
I also like Lore and Criminal, but they don't come out as frequently.
Yeah but I keep making the mistake of getting high and listening to Sword and Scale episodes, it's a trip
Just listened to the goddamn Andrea Yates episode

TREATED AND RELEASED, TREATED AND RELEASED

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WickedHate posted:

All of this is just more reasons for parental procreation permits.

Ah yes the stealth anti-prochoice approach. Very daring, instead of taking away a woman's right to choose, you take away everyone's. Still fails the "not literally a part of previous fascist ideology" test.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Ah yes the stealth anti-prochoice approach. Very daring, instead of taking away a woman's right to choose, you take away everyone's. Still fails the "not literally a part of previous fascist ideology" test.

It's WickedHate. Just give up.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Gripen5 posted:

I didn't think the fire was too bad in the first one, then all of the sudden at the 1 minute mark the smoke went from a little bit on the ceiling to very quickly covering the entire area in about 3 seconds.

About that same time the fire so ready very quickly.

Never want to be caught in a fire. Probably two of the worst ways to go between burns and smoke inhalation.

Apparently only then anyone had an inkling anything went wrong.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah but I keep making the mistake of getting high and listening to Sword and Scale episodes, it's a trip

Her husband thought she didn't need to be on meds. Seriously, gently caress any religion that believes the power of the invisible sky-daddy can fix a broken brain better than therapy or drugs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

queserasera posted:

Her husband thought she didn't need to be on meds. Seriously, gently caress any religion that believes the power of the invisible sky-daddy can fix a broken brain better than therapy or drugs.

quote:

According to trial testimony in 2006, Dr. Saeed advised Rusty, a former NASA engineer, not to leave Andrea unattended. However, he began leaving her alone with the children in the weeks leading up to the drownings for short periods of time hoping to improve her independence.

Nice plan, you tremendous dipshit.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

queserasera posted:

Am i reading this article wrong, because I'm having trouble finding anything that says she was anti-medication due to religious belief. She was on various medicines at various points

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm pro-abortion but centering the argument around the right to choose always confused me, when the other side thinks you're literally murdering babies shouldn't all your energy go into convincing people it's harmless instead of someone having the right to murder babies?

If having children were regulated, you wouldn't have incidents like the Jonchucks, the Couches, and countless others.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WickedHate posted:

I'm pro-abortion but centering the argument around the right to choose always confused me, when the other side thinks you're literally murdering babies shouldn't all your energy go into convincing people it's harmless instead of someone having the right to murder babies?

If having children were regulated, you wouldn't have incidents like the Jonchucks, the Couches, and countless others.

About time someone sees common sense! We could finally do something about all these poor people having children, and while we're at it, do something about the disturbing number of minorities filling our cities. The problem isn't with the regulation of resources -- those on top have earned it and earned it fairly -- it's the surplus population taking up what little extra we can afford to give away.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Please stay in BSS wickedhate.

Everybody Wickedhate is like 17 so just dont engage, she'll grow out of this and be super embarrassed in a few years.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

After reading this article, I decided to take a break from the internet for a while, and took my 4yo daughter out to play in the freshly fallen snow. Hauling her around the backyard on her sled for half an hour went a long way toward exorcising the demons that Phoebe's story left me with.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i started reading The Day After World War III this week, it's good poo poo. thank you creepy thread

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I read the first page of that Phoebe Jonchuck story and made myself close it. Nope nope nope.

So, I can't exactly post warm fuzzy things in this thread, but I went looking for stories about kids undergoing terrifying events and surviving, as a bit of a palate cleanser:

Girl survives being sucked through flooded drainpipe: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/07/16/12-year-old-girl-survives-after-being-sucked-into-drainpipe/
Toddler abandoned in desert, found alive 20 hours later: http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1996/Man-Accused-of-Killing-Wife-Abandoning-Daughter-in-Desert/id-e974c88ca4044e698b4a5b35de5521ea
Abuse victim who weighed 45 pounds at age 19 confronts his mom in court: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/11/nyregion/11starve.html?_r=0
Boy sucked up into tornado, safely set back down: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/8-year-old-boy-alabama-survives-sucked-tornado-article-1.109111

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

pookel posted:

Abuse victim who weighed 45 pounds at age 19 confronts his mom in court: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/11/nyregion/11starve.html?_r=0

That one is worse. Tons of people saw four kids being starved and thought there was nothing wrong. The kids' siblings, the family's church, etc. all defended the abusers. Meanwhile the kids were like this: "Bruce, who weighed approximately 45 pounds (20 kg) at the time and stood only 4 feet (1.2 m) tall; he was disoriented, shoeless, cold, and extremely malnourished, and the police believed him to be about seven years old. They then went to the Jackson home, where they found his adoptive brothers, who also appeared malnourished: Michael, age 9 and 23 pounds (10 kg); Tyrone, age 10 and 28 pounds (13 kg); and Keith, age 14 and 40 pounds (18 kg)."

The family photo on the wiki page is pretty drat unnerving.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I have an endless fascination with stories of starved and neglected children, for some reason. I can't remember if it's been posted here (maybe I posted it, actually), but the stories out of the orphanage in Pleven, Bulgaria, a few years back, are even worse than that. Teenagers who weighed less than 20 pounds and were still the size of toddlers, kids whose disabilities were nothing worse than Down Syndrome but profoundly disabled through years of starvation. But what makes those stories a little more okay for me is when the kids get rescued. The guy in my link gained 95 pounds in 27 months (!). I wonder how he's doing these days.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Because postpartum psychosis is a genuine thing, and is treatable.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because postpartum psychosis is a genuine thing, and is treatable.
Always a crapshoot with the American healthcare system:

Wiki posted:

He also claimed that, despite his urgings to check her medical records for prior treatment, Dr. Saeed had refused to continue her regimen of the antipsychotic Haldol, the treatment that had worked for her during her first breakdown in 1999.[38] He added that she was too sick to be released from her last stay in the hospital in May 2001. He said he noticed the staff lower their heads as if in shame and embarrassment, turning away without saying a word. The hospital had no other choice due to the ten-day psychiatric hospitalization insurance constraints of their provider, Blue Cross Blue Shield, subcontracted by Magellan Health Services

theflyingorc posted:

Am i reading this article wrong, because I'm having trouble finding anything that says she was anti-medication due to religious belief. She was on various medicines at various points
There was talk from various people about being worried that the couple's decisions were influenced by less-than-mainstream Christianity. But besides the street preacher friend of theirs, the husband's desire to have more children, something they took her off medication to do, was definitely tinted by his religious belief that god wanted him to "go forth and multiply," which very likely pushed her to have another kid she didn't want.

Wiki posted:

Yates' first psychiatrist, Dr. Eileen Starbranch, testified that she urged the couple not to have more children, as it would "guarantee future psychotic depression". They conceived their fifth and final child approximately 7 weeks after her discharge. She stopped taking the Haldol in March 2000 and gave birth to daughter Mary on November 30 of that year. She seemed to be coping well until the death of her father on March 12, 2001.

Yates then stopped taking medication, mutilated herself, and read the Bible feverishly.
The media alleged that her condition was influenced by the extremist sermons of Michael Peter Woroniecki, the preacher who sold them their bus. Her family was concerned by the way that she was so captivated by the minister’s words.
Yates' first psychiatrist, Dr. Eileen Starbranch, says she was shocked to disbelief when, during an office visit with them, they expressed a desire to discontinue her medications so that she could become pregnant again. She warned and counseled them against having more children, and noted in the medical record two days later, "Apparently patient and husband plan to have as many babies as nature will allow! This will surely guarantee future psychotic depression." Nevertheless, she became pregnant with her fifth child, Mary, only 7 weeks after being discharged from Dr. Starbranch's care on January 12, 2000. Despite Rusty's statements to the media that he was never told by psychiatrists that she was psychotic nor that she could harm the children, and that he would have never had more children had he known otherwise, she revealed to her prison psychiatrist, Dr. Melissa Ferguson, that prior to their last child, "she had told Rusty that she did not want to have sex because Dr. Starbranch had said she might hurt her children." Rusty, she said, simply asserted his procreative religious beliefs, complimented her as a good mother, and persuaded her that she could handle more children.

Author Suzanne O'Malley highlighted Rusty's continuing sense of unreality regarding having more children: "During the trial, he'd successfully maintained the position that Andrea would be found innocent. He had fantasies of having more children with her after she was successfully treated in a mental health facility and released on the proper medication. He worked his way through various fixes for their damaged lives, such as a surrogate motherhood and adoption (horrifying her family, attorneys and Houston psychiatrists) before giving in to reality."
Media outlets alleged that Michael Peter Woroniecki, a traveling preacher whom Rusty had met while attending Auburn University, bears some responsibility for the deaths due to his "fire and brimstone" message and certain teachings found in his newsletter The Perilous Times that they had received on occasion and which was entered into evidence at the trial. However, both Rusty and Michael Woroniecki reject these accusations
While in prison, Yates stated she had considered killing the children for two years, adding that they thought she was not a good mother and claimed her sons were developing improperly. She told her jail psychiatrist: "It was the seventh deadly sin. My children weren't righteous. They stumbled because I was evil. The way I was raising them, they could never be saved. They were doomed to perish in the fires of hell." She also told her jail psychiatrist that Satan influenced her children and made them more disobedient.

It has also been speculated by various religious and secular groups that her religious position and background had influenced her decision to end the lives of her children, the logic being that she would make the ultimate parental sacrifice, sealing the fate of her eternal soul but guaranteeing that her children would enter heaven. This, however, may be a negligible factor in light of her psychiatric health and mental illnesses.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Didn't Yates husband "not believe in psych meds" because people "just needed to pray/a kick in the pants" and wouldn't procure her meds on the proper schedule? Or was that the other one?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Didn't Yates husband "not believe in psych meds" because people "just needed to pray/a kick in the pants" and wouldn't procure her meds on the proper schedule? Or was that the other one?

Does it really loving matter?

quote:

Matthew Swan, age 16 months, died of spinal meningitis in 1977 in Detroit, Michigan. His parents, Doug and Rita Swan, both lifelong Christian Scientists, retained Christian Science practitioners for spiritual “treatments.”

The practitioners repeatedly said they were healing Matthew. Symptoms were reinterpreted as evidence of healing. For example, one practitioner who observed the baby’s convulsions said he might be “gritting his teeth” because he was “planning some great achievement.” The practitioners demanded more faith and gratitude from the Swans. They complained that the Swans’ fears and other sins were obstructing their treatment.

After nearly two weeks of serious illness, a practitioner said Matthew might have a broken bone and that Christian Scientists are allowed to go to doctors for setting of broken bones. The Swans took Matthew to a hospital, where the disease was diagnosed as Hemophilus influenza meningitis. He lived for a week in intensive care. The Christian Science practitioners would not pray for him while he had medical care.

http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=132

From what (little) I understand about the disease, death by meningitis means your brain is pretty much Swiss cheese.

Fortunately, the parents quit the religion after their son died, but they can't even be tried for manslaughter because religion.

My religious background includes a rule where you can break all the other rules if it means saving someone's life: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikuach_nefesh

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I found at least one document with that quote doing a little research. It seems like the religious angle wasn't really a major cause in her case, though it might have had some level of influence. At one point in time, she was taking her medication. Then her dad died, she stopped the meds, and things went really bad really quick.

And the husband left her alone for an hour even though the doctor said "never leave her alone".

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

queserasera posted:

My religious background includes a rule where you can break all the other rules if it means saving someone's life: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikuach_nefesh

That's pretty freaking cool and I did not know about that. Nice to see some common sense built into the system. I'm glad I learned something nice from this thread. :unsmith:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Karma Monkey posted:

That's pretty freaking cool and I did not know about that. Nice to see some common sense built into the system. I'm glad I learned something nice from this thread. :unsmith:
Buddhism has a similar rule - or at least, my brother's monastic order (Thai forest) does. He assured me that if I tripped while walking with him along a steep hillside, he'd be able to catch me without getting in trouble for touching a woman (normally verboten).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

queserasera posted:

Does it really loving matter?

Uh, well it explains the religious angle that the previous posters were asking about, so yes?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A man is found dead in a locked hotel room, apparently from natural causes. But during the autopsy, a mortician discovers that his organs are crushed and he bears all the signs of suffering a violent beating, yet there's no external marks or signs of anyone else being in the hotel room. Everyone is baffled.

It's a great detective story:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/05/true-crime-elegante-hotel-texas-murder

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Flunchy posted:

A man is found dead in a locked hotel room, apparently from natural causes. But during the autopsy, a mortician discovers that his organs are crushed and he bears all the signs of suffering a violent beating, yet there's no external marks or signs of anyone else being in the hotel room. Everyone is baffled.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/05/true-crime-elegante-hotel-texas-murder

That was a good find, a really amazing detective story.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Flunchy posted:

its not the first time this PI has popped up in vanity fair either, and the other one is also an insanely pro read, if only for the pic f the PI at the top:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2010/12/vanishing-blonde-201012

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet---the Minnesota Starvation Experiment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

The goal was purportedly to determine how best to rehabilitate starving refugees following WW2. The results were...interesting. All the subjects showed psychiatric symptoms and obsession with food during the restrictive phase and during recovery. One guy even chopped off three fingers but couldn't remember why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

There was a 20/20 episode on this too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIKFydvOB1o